Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Nycthog: The Beshadowed Wyrm (Draconic Deity)

Nycthog the Sun-Eater
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the early days, just past the Ordering, dragons were still stronger than they would be in later ages as the primal power in their spirits still retained their full connection to the forces of the creation. During this time a cabal of dragons tied to elemental shadow, those which would later become Shadow Dragons and Umbra Dragons, came together from a dozen primes and sought to upset the balance of reality, pushing darkness into eternal superiority. They were stopped by a primal guardian of order, and heroes drawn from the early dwarves. The cabal had been in the midst of their ritual when they were interrupted, a ritual that required them to harmonize their spirits and minds merging them into a single gestalt. The dragons, their defenses weakened by their position in the ritual, were killed their blood forming the Ebon River that can be seen on the Plane of Shadow analogous to a dozen Prime Material planes. This Ebon River would cause the birth of the Umbra Dragons for those dragons bound to shadow that drank of its waters when they were yet new gave birth to umbra dragons, and those which were likewise bound but did not drink of these waters became mere shadow dragons. The fused spirits of these Primordial Dragons would not go into death easily, and had at that time enough power that instead of passing on to death it floated into the Astral Plane and congealed solidifying over time till it was driven from that plane to Hades and Nycthog was born, a gestalt of all those dragons that had formed the cabal. With each umbra dragon which dies Nycthog grows stronger as their souls, too, are pulled into the gestalt god.

Note: In my games Bahamut and Tiamat are Greater Deities and Io is an Overdeity.
    Nycthog
    Demigod (Neutral Evil)
    Portfolio: Darkness, Power hunger, shadow creatures especially shadow dragons.
    Domains: Evil, DragonSC, DarknessSC, PrideSC, PlanningSC.
    Cleric Training: Nycthog’s clerics are few and far between. Umbra dragons see it as beneath their status to worship a god so devoutly, or even admit the idea that a god could grant them more power. As such most of Nycthog’s clerics are shadow dragons hoping to be admitted into the ranks of his Dark Court. His humanoid priests are typically found amongst the shadowscale drow where they learn of Nycthog through ancient texts and a burning power in their blood. Their training often consists of spending a day trapped in magical darkness.
    Quests: Nycthog’s followers typically follow their own agenda, seeking power for themselves. When Nycthog does desire a quest it is for the means of spreading the influence of the Plane of Shadow on the Prime, bringing darkness eternal, or for the fall of Sigil as the Beshadowed Wyrm has fallen under the belief that Sigil’s destruction will cause the Outlands to fall into a perpetual darkness shifting the balance of the outer planes towards shadow. Possible quests might include: opening a portal to the Plane of Shadow, destroying a light producing artifact, gathering supplies for a ritual to extend the length of nights, or fermenting warfare among the factions of Sigil in the hopes of weakening its defenses.
    Prayers: Prayers to Nycthog are made in utter darkness if possible. They do not ask him for power, but instead request that he takes that which stands in their way. When asking for healing, they would not pray that Nycthog heal their wounds, but instead that he takes them. A possible prayer to Nycthog might run:
    Beshadowed Wyrm whose scales cast a shadow miles long
    Take my mercy so that I can kill with no remorse.
    Take the shields of my foes so my blows may land true.
    Take Albithon so that none stand above me.
    And take the wounds that have stricken me so that I can rise and fight once more.
    Do these things so that I may spread darkness and shadow in your name and so that the shadow may stretch a mile further

Temples: Nycthog’s temples tend to focus around a single tree, of a darkness growing breed from the plane of shadow, surrounded by water. Occasionally gold and other valuable objects will be littered around it, but the greed of Nycthog’s priests and worshippers makes this a rarity.
    Rites: Nycthog’s priests celebrate the Summer’s Solstice as the turning point in the battle of light and dark when at its strongest point light is defeated by darkness. They also perform rites on the Winter Solstice. His worshippers will often say a brief prayer at dusk and dawn.
    Herald and Allies: Nycthog’s herald is a Half-Fiend Great Wyrm with up to 3 virtual age categories beyond that Shadow Dragon which serves in his Dark Court; due to its connection with Nycthog it gains clerical casting of equal level to its sorcerer casting with access to all domains Nycthog can grant and their domain powers. His planar allies are shadow elementals (of appropriate size), dark canoloths (an exception to the no template rule), dark mezzoloths, and dark nycaloths.
    Unholy Symbol: A cracked sun disc with broken flames.
    Favored Weapon: Tail (greatclub).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Nycthog: The Beshadowed Wyrm (Draconic Deity)

how do you pronoune his name

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well don't know how to put pronunciation marks on a computer. Nik'thog? Two syllables and long I sounds.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh, nice deity. The fluff and the choice of domains fit, but are you going to give more information about the Ordering?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokon1 View Post
    Huh, nice deity. The fluff and the choice of domains fit, but are you going to give more information about the Ordering?
    As I make more gods probably. There's some mention of it in the other deity I made Jormund. It's when Io (as overdeity in my campaigns) arranged the planes into the cosmology we're familiar with now instead of a world of pure spirit (and that's pretty much all I've got except that apparently few of the non-draconic gods were around before it, and apparently dwarves are the first humanoids in my multiverse ).

Current Projects:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Nykthog the Shadow that Lives (Vestige)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level: 6th
    Binding DC: 30 (26 for dragons and dragonblood creatures)
    Legend: Some claim Nykthog as a god, worshipped by shadow worshipers and dragon cultists. Others claim he is merely a vestige and those who worship him as a god have become mistaken through some plot of the dark vestige. Neither are quite right. When the spiritual mass that became Nykthog ascended to godhood from the Astral Plane, a portion was left behind; his mortality shed. Even so it had touched godhood and could not simply die after its long stay as an astral spirit, but instead was pulled into the Void. Now it lurks seeking not to escape the Void but to spread it till it consumes all reality.
    Special requirement: Nykthog can only be bound in shadowy or no illumination. In addition some object designed to create light (torch, tindertwig, sunrod) must be broken or destroyed in the presence of his seal before he will appear to make a pact.
    Manifestation: Nykthog manifests as a 13 headed dragon made of inky darkness, so dark that it is darker than mere darkness, and almost an anti-light visible from close (10-ft) range even in absolute darkness. Each head is rotting and marred by great wounds, and as he speaks the flesh falls from each head in turn, eyes hanging loose and dropping out, before the bones tremble and fall, until only one head remains.
    Sign: Your eyes become pure black, and a lattice of black lines runs across your entire body.
    Influence: Nykthog’s influence manifests as a hatred of light and urge to extinguish sources of light.

Granted ability:
    See in Darkness: You can see in darkness, even magical darkness, as easily as broad daylight.

Quench Light: As a standard action you may extinguish one light source within 120-ft. If it is a mundane light source the light flickers out and dies, although any flame remains burning. If it is a magical light source it is dispelled, and suppressed for 1 hour (in the case of magic items and other sources which reactivate on their own) as long as its CL is equal to or less than your EBL. Once you use this ability you cannot use it for another 5 rounds.

Shadow Evocation: You may imitate any damage dealing evocation with an instantaneous duration of 6th level or lower as a standard action. This remains a supernatural ability (and thus ignores SR), but is only 70% real allowing a Will save to reduce the effect as per the spell Shadow Evocation. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again for another 5 rounds.

Shadow Armor: You gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Charisma modifier. You lose this bonus if you wear heavy armor.

Current Projects: