New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Random Shinto Setting

A friend was talking about her setting which used Kitsune and I was looking at Champions of Kamigawa and I was thinking... wouldn't it be awesome to build a world centered around Kitsune?

The Kitsune would have between 1 and 9 tails just like traditions dictate (with the only 9 tail'd kitsune being the Emperor/ess and then the 1 tail'd kitsunes basically making up the lowest class). 1 tail'd kitsunes would be basically human-like, with very minor magical powers or skills, and so on up the scale.

So you'd get things like 4 tails being practically nobility and the 1 and 2 tail'd kitsunes are bowing whenever one approaches (I'm thinking that 99% are 1 tail, 99% of the remaining are 2 tail'd, etc. etc.). If 2 4 tail'd kitsunes mate their offspring will have between 3 and 5 tails (75% chance of 3, 24% chance of 4, etc.), etc. etc. Also people can sometimes be born with an unusual number of tails (so a 1 tail and a 1 tail could theoretically give birth to a 9 tail). In addition, through exceptional feats of valor or skill one might "earn" another tail. Basically that means that for the PCs, their "tails" are their level.

I'm thinking that if we split it in the basics of RPG mythos, you know, blade/stealth/magic, then one would have to be level 4 in any of the three to "earn" their 4th tail. But if one was level 4 in all three, they would STILL be a 4 tail, and have to earn their 5th tail by leveling up one of the three (or all of them).

Unfortunately I know nothing else about japanese or shinto mythology so I can't make this world any more authentic (and it's already way off-base, but I just thought this part would be cool so I'm looking for more influences!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Random Shinto Setting

The hell's a kitsune?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well if you're looking for more Shinto creatures have you considered tanukis? I don't know the most (except that there were in addition to varying amounts of tails several variety of kitsune with only the ground fox being mischevious and evil and the others serving Inari the white fox god of rice, and prosperity) about Shinto legends (tried and failed to find out).

Also Japanese dragons have 4 fingers per claw, as opposed to Chinese dragons which had 3 for common dragons, 4 for nobles, and the Imperial dragon had 5.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Are you looking to add in Feudal (or older) Japanese culture as well, trying for generic "East Asian" society, or what?