New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Non-punk sci-fi

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Non-punk sci-fi

In the sci-fi scene cyberpunk seems to dominate, followed by pos-apoc. To my knowledge the only space opera-esque sci-fi rpg is based on Starwars. I'm looking for one besides Starwars. Is there a good one for Startrek perhaps, or something else?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Non-punk sci-fi

Well, there's Firefly. Definitely a sci-fi world, but not one I would call either cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic.

RPGs in general, though, trend pretty heavily toward post-apocalyptic. Gotta explain the chaos, violence used to solve problems, and of course, frequent dungeons with hordes of treasure in them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

You might look up Traveller. I'm not really familiar, but from what I've seen, it isn't very punk or post-apocalyptic.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    In the sci-fi scene cyberpunk seems to dominate, followed by pos-apoc. To my knowledge the only space opera-esque sci-fi rpg is based on Starwars. I'm looking for one besides Starwars. Is there a good one for Startrek perhaps, or something else?
    There have been loads of Sci-Fi games, sadly most have fallen by the wayside.
    Star Trek has had several incarnations, FASA did one and there was the 'Prime Directive' though I forget who published it.
    For hard Sci-Fi there is always 'Traveller'
    For a more Space Opera game I always been fond of 'Fading Suns'
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Traveller is the Daddy of science fiction gaming. A cheaper option (don't get cheaper than free) is D6 Space. GURPS is surprisingly good for science fiction gaming, too. Dark Heresy is a popular choice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Traveller is the Daddy of science fiction gaming. A cheaper option (don't get cheaper than free) is D6 Space. GURPS is surprisingly good for science fiction gaming, too. Dark Heresy is a popular choice.
    I will second D6 space here. Best feature is that its free.

After that you can base it in any universe you like with ease or come up with your own universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone heard of Attack Vector Tactical?

Never played it but it was mentioned (as a potential system to use) in one of the games I joined but it never got started.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Star Trek has had several incarnations, FASA did one and there was the 'Prime Directive' though I forget who published it.
    http://www.starfleetgames.com/pdindex.shtml

It's currently available in GURPS, D20, and D20Modern flavours.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's also Diaspora, if you like FATE games. Never actually played it, but from what I've heard, it manages to pull off hard sci-fi without getting bogged down in details.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, you could go old-school for Star Frontiers (files for several books and old Dragon articles at starfrontiers.com).

There is the future supplement for D20 modern.

For Savage Worlds there is the Sci-Fi toolkit for roll-your-own settings. There are also some sci-fi settings - Slipstream, Space 1889. Some might consider Necessary Evil sci-fi (supers fighting an alien invasion).
    No fair! They're using brains against us.

11. - Top - End - #11

Hmm....

Some Sci-Fi RPGs other than Star Wars which aren't -punk or post-apoc.

ICAR is a free, fairly complex space opera game which is pretty neat. Set in the far-distant future (around the year 100,000 or so, Main warning being that it looks to use a lot of sheets (i.e. character sheet for each player, status sheet for each player, most guns, armor, or ships will get a sheet, etc.) Reading it is at least worthwhile, though.

Stars Without Number is one which I've seen a lot of good reviews of lately. It's also free, though you need a DriveThruRPG account to get it. It is slightly post-apoc, in the sense that there was a great space empire, which has since collapsed, leaving the planets to fend for themselves, but not, say, Rifts level of post-apoc. There's still civilization, and space flight, and all the stuff you expect out of a space opera game, but it's got a strong swords and planets flavor, I guess. I don't know.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
    No fair! They're using brains against us.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    There's also Diaspora, if you like FATE games. Never actually played it, but from what I've heard, it manages to pull off hard sci-fi without getting bogged down in details.
    I'll second this! Diaspora is pretty good, and they include a lot of extra systems for handling non-dungeon crawl scale combat - their "it's half way to a tabletop wargame" ground army system is pretty good, but their ship-to-ship combat system is AMAZING - it's based on range and relative velocity instead of x and y coordinates, so it really plays out super fluidly and is a ton of fun.

14. - Top - End - #14

Another plug for Traveller. I played the original version and don't have any experience with the GURPS reboot. It was a good, solid game, though there wasn't really a mechanism for gaining experience and improving your character. Also, talk about random skill selection.... Oy! I'm sure GURPS fixed both of those issues.

An option nobody's mentioned here yet- Space 1899. It's loosely based on Jules Verne and H.G. Wells kind of speculative fiction. I think it has some elements of steam punk rather than cyber punk.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Traveller looks like precisely the kind of game I've been looking for! Thanks

I'll research it and hopefully present it to my group.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

GURPS has quite a few sci fi settings

I remember seeing GURPS: Lensman (the world and characters of Doc Smith) among others.

There's also Transhuman space, which is a game based on the GURPS ruleset.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2011-03-31 at 10:55 AM.
    Kungaloosh!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Allow me to plug the game "Sufficiently Advanced". That one is pretty awesome! Not dark or dreary at all, and great system!

I also REALLY don't like Traveller at all... way to random, doesn't let me play what I wanna play, even the latest version.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-03-31 at 12:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

A good, free one is Eclipse Phase. It can be run very punk, but it can also be run strict corporate, or you can go out beyond the Gates and run it as survival.

I'd highly suggest d6 Space; the entire d6 system is simple, easily compatible, and generic, able to be plugged into pretty much any system.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

I suggest Starblazer Adventures. It uses FATE system, and allows for a lot of flexibility when it comes to detailing your setting.
    LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGirl

Having never played a sci-fi rpg and only tangentially played in the 40k setting (i.e. Dawn of War), would the roleplaying games set in the Warhammer 40k universe meet your criteria? I suppose they fall into the genres you're trying to avoid, as though they're grimdark and gothic, they might also fall into the post-apocalyptic category. I'm not sure- wiser playgrounders will have to elucidate this one for me (as I try to help you), I'm afraid.

EDIT: Reworded for clarity
    Last edited by Ason; 2011-03-31 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Clarity

21. - Top - End - #21

Traveller looks like precisely the kind of game I've been looking for! Thanks

I'll research it and hopefully present it to my group.
    If you are going for Traveller I am fond of the Mongoose version of it
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Throw me in for Mongoose Traveller. Very good space one there. Hell, I even made up a whole Mass Effect campaign guide for it and I'm running a campaign with it.
    Last edited by DeathsHands; 2011-04-01 at 01:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I wish i knew how to make this sound even better. But seriously, how can someone make it any better than HYDRALISK WITH SHADES?!
    [14:30] [RSO] DeathsHands (deathshands5): I'm good as is. Moral anchor for the party.
    [14:30] [RSO] DeathsHands (deathshands5): Sure, he could be insightful, but I was distracted by the demon ass and forgot the rest of my sentence.
    [14:31] [RSO] Arkalark (arkanepriest): Our moral anchor got caught in the demonic depths, if you know what I mean.

23. - Top - End - #23

Could you possibly post that?

I have wanted to make up a Mass Effect conversion for traveller but just had never found the time!

24. - Top - End - #24

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'll second that. Both about playing Mongoose Traveller (It's actually my favourite system ever so far) and posting the Mass Effect guide.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    Could you possibly post that?

I have wanted to make up a Mass Effect conversion for traveller but just had never found the time!
    I've been planning the same using the diaspora rules.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    Starblazer Adventures is similar, though for space opera. If you are going for something closer to Star Wars than The Cold Equations Starblazer is the best option. Moreover there is a large thematic difference between the two, summarized as the difference between playing in The Known World (Diaspora) or The Great Unknown (Starblazer).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.