New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Orc/Goblinoid Resources

FLAILER (Athas)

"Hsssss...."

Flailers look somewhat like 6 legged tortoises about 4' long. Their hides and shells are textured and colored to resemble the rocks of their native habitat.

FLAILER RACIAL TRAITS
    · +2 Con, -2 Int
    · Size Class: Size Class: Small. +1 Size Bonus to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. +4 Size Bonus to Hide Checks. -4 Size Penalty to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are half those of a Medium character.
    · Type: Magical Beast, giving it Low Light Vision and 60 ft. Darkvision
    · Base land speed 25 ft.
    · +9 Natural AC Bonus
    · Camouflage (Ex): This is identical to the Ranger ability listed in the PHB.
    · Sneak Attack (Ex): The Flailer has +1d6 Sneak Attack (this is identical to the Rogue ability in the PHB).
    · Psionics: Flailers can Manifest Powers as a 9th Level Lurk, and their Racial Hit Dice and Lurk Levels stack for purposes of determining Manifester Level.
    · A Flailer has 9 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 9d10 Hit Points, +9 Base Attack Bonus, +6 Fort Save, +6 Ref Save, +3 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Concentration, Hide, Knowledge (Psionics), Listen, Psicraft, Spot and Survival. It also gets 4 Feats.
    · Flailers have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d4 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 1d8 plus 1/2 Str Modifier, and a Secondary Mid-claw Attack doing 1d6 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws, a Bite, and 2 Mid-Claws with a Full Attack.
    . Non Humanoid Form: The Flailers aren't humanoid and have no hands. They may not make Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Heal, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, or Use Rope checks. They are also limited in the type of Perform skills they can get. Being vicious predators they also can't make Handle Animal checks as animals are terrified of them. They cannot wield weapons. If someone is willing to help them in and out of it they can wear armor. Armor is double the cost but half the weight for them. Being multi legged they have three times the normal carrying limits, get a +4 Racial Bonus to Bull Rush and Overrun Checks, as well as a +4 Racial Bonus to resist Trip attempts.
    · Skills: Flailers have a +8 Racial Bonus to Hide Checks in their native environment.
    · Automatic Languages: Flailers have no language, but most PC's will have learned Common or the language of a nearby race.
    · Level Adjustment: +2
    · Favored Class: Lurk

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 1 year
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d4
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d6
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 35
    Old: 53
    Venerable: 70
    Maximum Age: +2d20

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Length: 3' 5"
    Length Modifier: +2d4"
    Base Weight: 40 lbs
    Weight Modifier: x1 lb.

FLAILER CHARACTERS
    Their racial abilities practically scream Lurk or stealthy Psychic Warrior. You are practically built to be a stealthy ambush beatstick.
    Adventuring Race: Flailers are solitary beasts and usually only adventure for revenge. They will sometimes follow adventurers subtly and aid them against common foes on the sly. Many a party has slain monsters due to help from a nearby camouflaged Flailer. Granted the Flailer then sometimes picks them off as well...
    Character Development: Find someway of dealing with your slow speed.
    Character Names: Flailers have no names unless they bother with learning a language.

ROLEPLAYING A FLAILER
    You enjoy eating. Eating is good. Thankfully virtually all non-Flailer species are edible.
    Personality: Flailers are stereotyped as having no personality, but that isn't true. They are more than animals, but only just. Even animals have feelings and a personality.
    Behaviors: You're pretty much like any other ambush killer. You spend lots of time lying in wait for prey. It's pretty much your life's work.
    Language: The Flailers have no native tongue, and have to be taught one by anyone wishing to communicate with them.

FLAILER SOCIETY
    The Flailers are intelligent beasts not yet evolved to be more than ambush predators. They could have a civilization and culture if they wanted one, but most are content to live like common carnivores.
    Alignment : Almost all Flailers are Neutral. They still have an animal's mindset despite their advanced intelligence.
    Lands : Most Flailers live in stony barrens in the Tablelands of Athas.
    Settlements : Given that they're tailor made for hiding in their native environment, most Flailers stay put.
    Beliefs : The Flailers have no Gods or religion.
    Relations: Flailers see other races, even intelligent ones, as food. They can be convinced of the benefits of teamwork though.

FLAILER ADVENTURES
    · A local Elemental has been popping in and out, proselytizing all who will listen (as well as those who won't). Your Aunt has promised to teach you a few tricks to make him move along, but she lives in a bad neighborhood...
    · A Nightmare Beast has moved into your territory. You have remained hidden and watched as it hunted down everything in reach, including others of your kind. You need to unite the Flailers or it will eventually kill you all.
    · A group of Defiler henchman slaughtered your mate. You have been tracking them for weeks, trying like mad to keep up with them (thankfully they're on foot). You'll have to ambush them soon, as they're leaving the barrens within a few days.

Flailer Racial Feats

Mass Psionic Fist [Psionic]
    You are dangerous to be near.
    Prerequisites: Flailer, Greater Psionic Fist
    Benefits: The benefits of your Greater Psionic Fist Feat apply to all Natural Weapon attacks you make this round, not just one.

Defensive Power [Metapsionic]
    Your hide is reinforced via the psychic energies you unleash.
    Prerequisites: Flailer
    Benefits: To use this Feat you must expend your Psionic Focus. When you use any Powers from the Psychometabolism Discipline, your Natural Armor Bonus to AC increases by +2 for the duration of the Power.

Ambush Power [Metapsionic]
    You are sneaky.
    Benefits: IF you successfully target an opponent who is Flat-footed or Denied his Dex Bonus to AC, it takes 1d6 damage. Unlike other Metapsionic Feats you are not required to expend your Psionic Focus.

Ambush Predator
    You hunt for your food.
    Benefits: You gain a +2 Bonus on attack rolls against Flat-footed opponents, or opponents who are unaware of you.

Flailer Racial Substitution Levels

Lurk
    Level 14, 8: You gain new Lurk Augments and access to Racial Powers (see below). Your Manifesting ability score is Wisdom instead of Intelligence.
    High Value Targets (Su): Replace Sneak Attack Undead with Sneak Attack Elementals.
    Sneak Attack Elementals The lurk's sneak attack can damage elementals, if sneak attack damage would otherwise apply on the lurk's attack (for instance, if the elemental is flanked or flat-footed). Minimum level 8th.

Psion
    Level 1: Remove Craft and Profession from the Class Skill list, and limit Knowledge to Geography, Nature and Psionics. Add Hide to the Skill List. You gain access to Racial Powers (see below). Your Manifesting ability score is Wisdom instead of Intelligence.

Psychic Warrior
    Level 1: Exchange Craft for Hide on the Class Skill List. You gain access to Racial Powers (see below).

Psychic Ambush
    Clairsentience
    Level: Lurk 1, Psion/wilder 1, Psychic Warrior 1
    Display: Visual
    Manifesting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Power Points: Lurk 1, Psion/wilder 1, Psychic Warrior 1

You gain a +2 Insight Bonus on Initiative rolls for the duration of this power.

Increase Pain
    Psychometabolism
    Level: Lurk 3, Psion/wilder 3, Psychic Warrior 3
    Display: Auditory and visual
    Manifesting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
    Target: 1 Creature
    Duration: Instantaneous, but see text
    Power Points: 5

The next time the victim of this power takes damage, it takes an additional equal amount of non-lethal damage. If it is not damaged within a number of rounds equal to your Manifester Level this power has no effect.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-10-22 at 07:30 PM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #692
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    FLAILER (Athas)

(…)

Flailers look somewhat like 6 legged tortoises about 4' long. Their hides and shells are textured and colored to resemble the rocks of their native habitat.
    So cute! I already like these guys.

FLAILER RACIAL TRAITS
    · +2 Con, -2 Int
    Hm. I was going to say those ASIs are way underwhelming with 9 RHD, but then I realized: the only thing an actual lurk has on these guys is +1d6 psionic (i.e. inferior quality) sneak attack and skills. Otherwise, they are strictly superior: better HD, BAB, NA, 5 natural attacks, almost guaranteed surprise round to get Sneak Attack on all of them, racial substitution levels offering decent synergies… Well done, Sir!

Class skills are Concentration, Hide, Knowledge (Psionics), and Psicraft.
    That's one weird skill list for a critter that's like "I'm as smart as the next guy, yes, but I just want to do this ambush predator routine and eat stuff, okay?" I'd personally drop Knowledge (psionics) (and maybe Psicraft too) and add Listen/Spot and Survival. Perhaps standard issue boring monster skills like Climb too. Knowledge (nature) or (geography) would likewise make more sense than (psionics) if you want a Knowledge skill on them.

Flailers have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d4 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 1d8 plus 1/2 Str Modifier, and a Secondary Mid-claw Attack doing 1d6 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws, a Bite, and 2 Mid-Claws with a Full Attack.
    Hm. Why are the mid-claws stronger than the front claws? I'd put them at 1d4 as well, keeping them secondary (since they are harder to use).

They cannot wield weapons.
    Remind me: do mouthpicks require a primary bite or something?

Adventuring Race: Flailers are solitary beasts and usually only adventure for revenge. They will sometimes follow adventurers subtly and aid them against common foes on the sly. Many a party has slain monsters due to help from a nearby camouflaged Flailer. Granted the Flailer then sometimes picks them off as well...
    Heh. Nice touch!

You enjoy eating. Eating is good. Thankfully virtually all non-Flailer species are edible.
    As is this one.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    So cute! I already like these guys.

Hm. I was going to say those ASIs are way underwhelming with 9 RHD, but then I realized: the only thing an actual lurk has on these guys is +1d6 psionic (i.e. inferior quality) sneak attack and skills. Otherwise, they are strictly superior: better HD, BAB, NA, 5 natural attacks, almost guaranteed surprise round to get Sneak Attack on all of them, racial substitution levels offering decent synergies… Well done, Sir!
    I would point out it has an Int penalty, and the Lurks powers key off Int (also, it doesn't have the Lurk Augments). Though I may increase the LA.

That's one weird skill list for a critter that's like "I'm as smart as the next guy, yes, but I just want to do this ambush predator routine and eat stuff, okay?" I'd personally drop Knowledge (psionics) (and maybe Psicraft too) and add Listen/Spot and Survival. Perhaps standard issue boring monster skills like Climb too. Knowledge (nature) or (geography) would likewise make more sense than (psionics) if you want a Knowledge skill on them.
    I'll alter the skills when I have time. I didn't give them too many cause of their low Int.

Hm. Why are the mid-claws stronger than the front claws? I'd put them at 1d4 as well, keeping them secondary (since they are harder to use).
    Darned if I know. All the source material has the front claws doing less damage, but all the pics of the critter show all 6 legs as being identical in size. 2e was very wth.

Remind me: do mouthpicks require a primary bite or something?
    It can be secondary too I think.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-10-17 at 10:59 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

4. - Top - End - #694

I would point out it has an Int penalty, and the Lurks powers key off Int (also, it doesn't have the Lurk Augments). Though I may increase the LA.
    No need for that. I think it's fine, I was just voicing my appreciation.

I'll alter the skills when I have time. I didn't give them too many cause of their low Int.
    Half of them being INT-basid (quasi-)Knowledge is odd for the same reason.

Darned if I know. All the source material has the front claws doing less damage, but all the pics of the critter show all 6 legs as being identical in size. 2e was very wth.
    Fair enough.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

I do need to mo their racial substitution levels tho, they'll never get to 14th level to take those.
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #696

Oh. I absolutely missed that one. Yeah, taking 14 lurk levels atop 9 lurk+ levels and 2 LA is… Not impossible, but not exactly likely to ever happen either.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

DRACON (Spelljammer)

"2 Beholders and a Hamster walk into a bar..."

The Dracon appear as dragon headed centaurs with the lower bodies of a Sauropod dinosaur. They have 6 fingered hands with massive thumb claws.

DRACON RACIAL TRAITS
    · +8 Str, +4 Con, +4 Int, -4 Cha
    · Size Class: Large (Long). -1 Size Penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. -4 Size Penalty to Hide Checks. +4 Size Bonus to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are Double those of a Medium character. Space is 10 ft., Reach is 5 ft.
    · Type: Monstrous Humanoid, giving them 60 ft. Darkvision
    · Base land speed 45 ft.
    · +5 Natural AC Bonus
    · A Dracon has 6 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 6d8 Hit Points, +6 Base Attack Bonus, +2 Fort Save, +5 Ref Save, +5 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Diplomacy, Knowledge* (Local, Planetology, Wildspace), Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot. It also gets 3 Feats, and Improved Grapple as a Bonus Feat.
    · Dracon have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d4 plus Strength Bonus. It gets 2 Claw Attacks with a Full Attack. * See spelljammer.org
    · Dracon have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d4 plus Strength Bonus. It gets 2 Claw Attacks with a Full Attack.
    . Non Humanoid Form: The Dracon are non humanoid in form. Being quadrupedal they have three times the normal carrying limits, get a +4 Racial Bonus to Bull Rush and Overrun Checks, as well as a +4 Racial Bonus to resist Trip attempts. Armor you buy is 4 times the normal cost and twice the normal weight.
    · Automatic Languages: Dracon and Draconian. Bonus Languages: Common
    · Favored Class: Knight

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 40
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +3d6
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +5d6
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +7d6

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 125
    Old: 188
    Venerable: 250
    Maximum Age: +2d% years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Length: 10'
    Length Modifier: +2d12"
    Base Weight: 2,050 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x (4d6) lbs.

DRACON CHARACTERS
    The Dracons are pretty well suited to various melee builds. Their LA and Racial HD complicate caster builds a bit too much, despite many of them being priests.
    Adventuring Race: Dracons removed from their family units/herds become ill, and if no other options are available will seek to join a new family unit, usually a party of adventurers. They will also volunteer in any capacity to oppose the Neogi (or spiders in general).
    Character Development: Given your speed you probably do well as some sort of Charger build. Your race is also pretty adept at wrestling as well.
    Character Names: The Dracon usually use modified Dragon names.

ROLEPLAYING A DRACON
    You prize honor and the needs of the many above all else. Dracons despise selfishness and ambition, as what benefits the one generally runs counter to the benefit of all.
    Personality: Dracons typify what would be considered knightly behavior in other species. It is known that you can generally take them at their word, and that they will not cheat.
    Behaviors: The Dracon are a fairly martial people, and spend much time practicing wrestling and various arms. They seem to need to feel prepared for coming troubles.
    Language: Dracons speak their own language as well as Draconian.

DRACON SOCIETY
    The Dracon live in complex family units based off a herd mentality with each extended herd led by a Kaba who is a leader chosen by a confusing system of kinship relations. He is assisted by the Shalla, a high priest.
    Alignment : Almost all Dracon are Lawful being as they live in herds, and the majority are Good as well.
    Lands : The location or name of the Dracon homeworld is unknown.
    Settlements : The Dracon are making their first forays into wildspace, and are fairly rare as of now.
    Beliefs : Dracons worship a mishmash of human, elven and dwarven deities led by an overdeity called the Ub-Kalla. They are opposed by the Dark God, a giant spider like entity that devours or tempts the Dracon. They consider Dragons the messengers of the Gods.
    Relations: Due to a ravenous spiderlike monster they refer to as the Dark God, the Dracon hate spiders and spiderlike beings, particularly the Neogi. Beholders they find comical, necessitating keeping the two races separate in order to prevent violence. Dragons, Lizardfolk, and other centauroid beings are accepted and liked. Most humanoids or semi-humanoid beings are pitied and considered deformed due to their lack of legs.

DRACON ADVENTURES
    · The Beholders have learned of your races tendency to make them the object of mocking comedy. They intend to introduce you to some biting social satire of their own...
    · Neogi have wiped out your family, and by God you want revenge. Though first you need to find a new family before you die of the jitters.
    · A dragon has hatched from an egg found in your ship and adopted you as it's parent. Obviously this will not do, and you must find out where it's true parents are.

Dracon Racial Feats

Foe of the Dark One
    You really hate the Neogi
    Prerequisites: Dracon
    Benefits: You gain +2 Favored Enemy Bonus (Aberration). This is identical to the Ranger ability of the same name, and stacks with it.

Beholder Mocker
    You just can't help yourself.
    Prerequisites: Dracon, Favored Enemy (Aberration)
    Benefits: You gain your Favored Enemy Bonus against Aberrations on Saving Throws if your opponent is an Aberration

Fearless
    You takes no sass...
    Prerequisites: Dracon, Favored Enemy
    Benefits: You gain your Favored Enemy Bonus on Willpower Saves made against Fear effects.

Illithid Wrestler
    You find wrestling the Mindflayers to be interesting.
    Prerequisites: Dracon, Favored Enemy (Aberration)
    Benefits: You gain your Favored Enemy (Aberration) Bonus on Grapple Checks against Aberrations.

Dracon Racial Substitution Levels

Cleric
    Level 1: Dracon Clerics revere Ub-Kalla (Alignment LG, Favored Weapon: Longsword, Domains include Animal, Community, Creation, Healing, Protection, Sun, and War).

Knight
    Levels 2, 11 and 20: Replace Shield Bonus with Halberd Defense
    Halberd Defense (Ex): At Level 2 you gain a +1 Shield Bonus to AC when wielding a 2-Handed weapon.
    Level 2: Replace Mounted Combat with Weapon Focus (Halberd)

Paladin
    Level 1: Replace Special Mount with Divine Weapon
    Divine Weapon (Su): At will you may Summon a magic weapon (or enchant one you are already holding). At 5th-7th Level it is considered a +1 Weapon. This increases to +2 at Level 8, +3 at Level 11, and +4 at Level 15. If you use this ability to enchant a weapon you are holding, the Enhancement Bonuses do not stack. You may only have one Divine Weapon at a time, and it lasts until dismissed or destroyed. If it is destroyed you must wait 24 hours before using this ability again.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-10-25 at 10:27 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #698

Way cute! My only gripe is that, again, the racial feats and stuff make these guys mechanically; their chassis itself has little of interest. My only other gripe is the skill list. These are +4 INT good guy troll extraordinaries with a strong martial focus. And yet, they only have four skills and three of them are weird picks for a race with so little inherent affinity for psionics. Knowledge (dungeoneering) would serve them well. I could also see a case for Sense Motive and most STR skills, among other things. (Oh, and one more thing: WHY CAN'T HALBERD DEFENSE BE A STANDARD OPTION FOR ALL KNIGHTS?)

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Way cute! My only gripe is that, again, the racial feats and stuff make these guys mechanically; their chassis itself has little of interest. My only other gripe is the skill list. These are +4 INT good guy troll extraordinaries with a strong martial focus. And yet, they only have four skills and three of them are weird picks for a race with so little inherent affinity for psionics. Knowledge (dungeoneering) would serve them well. I could also see a case for Sense Motive and most STR skills, among other things. (Oh, and one more thing: WHY CAN'T HALBERD DEFENSE BE A STANDARD OPTION FOR ALL KNIGHTS?)
    Sorry, wrong skillset! I has fixed.
    Orcs and Goblins

10. - Top - End - #700

Nice! Looks good now. (But man, Spelljammer has odd knowledge skills.)

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

GAUND (Forgotten Realms)

"Clickclickclick..."

The Gaund are partially bipedal lizards with gray-green scales and three glowing red eyes.

GAUND RACIAL TRAITS
    · +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -4 Cha
    · Size Class: Medium
    · Type: Magical Beast with the Fire Subtype, giving it Low Light Vision and 90 ft. Darkvision
    · Base land speed 30 ft.
    · +4 Natural AC Bonus
    · Tremorsense (Ex): Range 30 ft.
    · Back Kick (Ex): As a Full Attack action the Gaund may kick an opponent behind it doing 3d4 plus Str Modifier damage.
    · Burning Gaze (Su): IBurning Gaze is a ranged touch attack against one creature or object in range, and is a Standard Action. If it is successful there is an effect similar to Heat Metal. It does 1d4 fire damage the first two rounds, and 2d4 fire damage each round thereafter that the attack is maintained. If at any point the attack misses the damage drops to 1d4 fire damage that round, and if it misses a second round damage drops to 0 and the Gaund must start over. Range is 90 ft., opponents wearing magical metal armor get a Willpower Save to negate the effect (Save is 10 plus 1/2 HD plus Cha modifier). If the Gaund targets a hel item, the holder must make a Fortitude Save (same DC as previous) or drop the item.
    · Vulnerabilities: The Gaund have a -2 Racial Penalty on all Saving Throws against powers or effects with the Sonic descriptor or doing Sonic damage. They are abnormally sensitive to vibrations.
    · A Gaund has 4 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 4d10 Hit Points, +4 Base Attack Bonus, +4 Fort Save, +4 Ref Save, +1 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Climb, Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival. It also gets 2 Feats.
    · Gaund have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d4 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 1d6 plus 1/2 Str Modifier, and a Secondary Tail Attack doing 1d8 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws, a Bite, and 1 Tail with a Full Attack.
    . Non Humanoid Form: The Gaund aren't humanoid and have no hands. They may not make Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Heal, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, or Use Rope checks. They are also limited in the type of Perform skills they can get. They cannot wield weapons. If someone is willing to help them in and out of it they can wear armor. Armor is double the cost for them. Being quadrupedal they have 1 1/2 times the normal carrying limits, get a +4 Racial Bonus to Bull Rush and Overrun Checks, as well as a +4 Racial Bonus to resist Trip attempts.
    · Automatic Languages: Gaund
    · Favored Class: Scout
    · Frost Gaund: Frost Gaunds live in cold caverns, have the Cold Subtype, and do Cold damage with Burning Gaze. They may take Racial Feats, which likewise do Cold damage instead of fire.

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood:6
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d3
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d4
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +2d4

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 60
    Old: 90
    Venerable: 120
    Maximum Age: +1d6 years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Height: 4'10"
    Height Modifier: +2d10"
    Base Weight: 120 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x (2d4) lbs.

GAUND CHARACTERS
    Gaunds are perfect for melee builds, especially cooperative ones where a few engage and tie up opponents while the rest set back and use their gaze attacks.
    Adventuring Race: Gaunds don't need material possessions, and are generally content where they are, so it would take a need for revenge or some pretty life altering circumstances to convince them to go on an adventure.
    Character Development: Your vulnerability to Sonic attacks is a serious hindrance, and it should be addressed somehow.
    Character Names: The Gaund names are composed of the unpronounceable clicks and whistles that make up their language.

ROLEPLAYING A GAUND
    Yours is a race that often faces death by many methods, chiefest of which is the prejudice of the humanoids who mistake you for not being intelligent. As such you have learned it's best to wipe them out on sight or bribe them with the baubles they seem to value so much. The caves are loaded with gems after all and they're of no use to you.
    Personality: You aren't quite the dumb animals people take you for, you just don't see the need for living in a traditional humanoid style of society. As if those egocentric jerks have a monopoly on the best way to live...
    Behaviors: The Gaund generally pretend to be brute animals since most other races mistake them for such. Many outsiders are surprised that they are assaulted when they bother with the small herds the Gaund shepherd as food animals.
    Language: The Gaund language is composed primarily of clicks and whistling sounds.

GAUND SOCIETY
    The Gaund live very simple, primitive lives. They are often mistaken for unintelligent giant lizards.
    Alignment : Like the animals they live among, most Gaund are Neutral.
    Lands : The Gaund live in hot underground caverns, usually in volcanically active areas.
    Settlements : The Gaund do not like living near other races or in areas that are too cool, so they haven't spread much.
    Beliefs : If the Gaund have any Gods it is unknown, as they have never communicated much with the outside world (especially their private beliefs).
    Relations: Given that other races mistake them for animals (and thusly have no compunctions about killing them) the Gaund have traditionally not gotten along well with other species. Plus they're fairly territorial.

GAUND ADVENTURES
    · Thieves are pilfering the eggs as they are coated in a valuable protective slime. It's time to put a stop to this.
    · The caverns you live in are filling with lava due to volcanic activity, and you had to flee or drown. Now you must find a new home.
    · The humans are offering a partnership. Their 'protection' in exchange for access to the gems they wish to mine from your homes. You are pondering how to best kill them.

Gaund Racial Feats

Improved Burning Gaze
    You heat things up quickly.
    Prerequisites: Gaund
    Benefits: Your Gaze now does 2d4 Fire damage on the second round.

Greater Burning Gaze
    Your gaze is more potent.
    Prerequisites: Gaund, Improved Burning Gaze
    Benefits: You now do 2d6 damage on the first round, and all subsequent rounds with your eye ray.

Precise Gaze
    Your ray can now threaten criticals.
    Prerequisites: Gaund, Improved Burning Gaze
    Benefits: Your gaze now threatens a Critical on a 19-20. It does 4d6 fire damage on a successful critical.

Protective Slime
    You produce the slime that protects your races eggs.
    Prerequisites: Gaund, Con 15+
    Benefits: You now gain immunity to Acid damage.

Gaund Racial Substitution Levels

Ranger
    Levels 2, 6, 11: Instead of Archery or Two Weapon Fighting for their Combat Style, Gaund Rangers can choose Ripper or Ray Master.
    Combat Style: Ripper gets Multiattack at 2nd Level, Improved Initiative at 6th Level, and Improved Multiattack at 11th Level. Grenadier gets Improved Ray (see Racial Feats above) at 2nd Level, Weapon Focus (Ray) at 6th Level, and Greater Ray (see Racial Feats above) at 11th Level.

Druid
    Level 13: Instead of a Thousand Faces you lose your Racial Vulnerability to Cold.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-11-06 at 07:27 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #702

GAUND (Forgotten Realms)

(…)

· +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -4 Cha

(…)

· Burning Gaze (Su): IBurning Gaze is a ranged touch attack, and a Standard Action. If it is successful there is an effect similar to Heat Metal. Nothing happens the first round, but it does 1d4 fire damage the second round, and 2d4 fire damage each round thereafter that the attack is maintained. If at any point the attack misses the damage drops to 1d4 fire damage that round, and if it misses a second round damage drops to 0 and the Gaund must start over. Range is 90 ft., opponents wearing magical metal armor get a Willpower Save to negate the effect (Save is 10 plus 1/2 HD plus Cha modifier).
    Why would it EVER try to use that? It deals less damage than a claw, still eats up perfectly good actions and can be negated with a save having a DC based off of the gaund's single worst stat. The feats improving on it don't quite save the thing either.

· Vulnerabilities: The Gaund have a -2 Racial Penalty on all Saving Throws against powers or effects with the Sonic descriptor or doing Sonic damage.
    Character Development: Your vulnerability to Sonic attacks is a serious hindrance, and it should be addressed somehow.
    While vulnerability to sonic is not that bad, I'm not sure why they have it in the first place. They are not much better at Listen than your average critter, they have no ear-based blindsense/blindsight or weird crystalline bodies.

Meanwhile, ripper ranger's some real good stuff and the druid thing is nice, late as it may come online.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-30 at 04:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Why would it EVER try to use that? It deals less damage than a claw, still eats up perfectly good actions and can be negated with a save having a DC based off of the gaund's single worst stat. The feats improving on it don't quite save the thing either.
    My guess is it hides, or is far enough away that it gives it a few rounds before the opponent closes to use it. I'm seriously considering breaking with the source material for this one.

While vulnerability to sonic is not that bad, I'm not sure why they have it in the first place. They are not much better at Listen than your average critter, they have no ear-based blindsense/blindsight or weird crystalline bodies.
    I haven't really found anything explaining it.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #704

My guess is it hides, or is far enough away that it gives it a few rounds before the opponent closes to use it. I'm seriously considering breaking with the source material for this one.
    I couldn't endorse that idea more vocally. Tweaking this into relevance at the very least would be nice.

I haven't really found anything explaining it.
    Something should perhaps be done about that too.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

I'd forgotten how iffy Heat Metal was in 3.5.
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #706

Well, damn. I've just checked the 5e version and… Yeah. In actual fact, backporting something like that effect (with the neccessary modifications, obviously (bonus action, I'm looking at you)) might work as a way to make Burning Gaze actually relevant. 2d4 or 2d6 fire once per round as a standard action at the curent range, maybe? I also kind fo like the "save or drop stuff" side benefit, to be honest.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-04 at 12:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

HURWAET (Spelljammer)

"We don't tolerate your kind here slaver."

The Hurwaeti are also known somewhat condescendingly as Wiggles, and are said to be related to both the Lizardmen and the Sahuagin (which all things considered should be impossible given their appearance and abilities). They are humanoid in shape with long froglike limbs, webbed hands and feet, and scales so small that their olive green skin appears to be unbroken and shiny. Heavy clothing is shunned in favor of loin cloths, and the occasional pack or belt for moving supplies. Their faces are somewhat Gnome like, but exaggerated with a pointed chin and nose. Unlike other reptiles (fish?) they have hair on their heads, and the older among them have full fledged beards.

HURWAET RACIAL TRAITS
    · +2 Int, +2 Wis
    · Type: Humanoid with the Reptilian, Aquatic and Amphibious Subtypes
    · Base land speed 20 ft.
    · Base swim speed 30 ft.
    · +5 Natural AC Bonus
    · Fog Cloud (Sp): Hurwaeti can cast Fog Cloud as a Spell-Like Ability 1/day as a 9th Level Sorcerer.
    · Leaper (Ex): You do not take an increased DC to Jump Checks for not moving.
    · A Hurwaeti has 3 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 3d8 Hit Points, +2 Base Attack Bonus, +1 Fort Save, +3 Ref Save, +1 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Climb, Jump, Swim and Survival. It also gets 2 Feats.
    · Hurwaeti have a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim Check. They may use the Run Action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line. They also have a +8 Racial Bonus to Jump Checks.
    · Automatic Languages: Hurwaeti, Lizardman and Common. Bonus Languages: Any nearby race.
    · Level Adjustment: +1
    · Favored Class: Scout

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 10

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 50
    Old: 75
    Venerable: 100
    Maximum Age: +5d20 Years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Height: 6'
    Height Modifier: +2d6"
    Base Weight: 185 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x (2d6) lbs.

HURWAET CHARACTERS
    Salt and Swamp Wiggles make excellent Barbarians or other melee combatants. Spacefaring Wiggles stats are well suited towards casters but they have Racial HD, so perhaps it's better to make them more skills oriented.
    Adventuring Race: Spacefaring Hurwaeti are professional mercenaries and ship crews, they pretty much spend all their time adventuring in order to support their clan. Swamp Wiggles are incredibly xenophobic, so they generally only adventure to prove themselves or because they have become outcasts. Salt Wiggles are sometimes available for hire as cheap muscle or shock troops.
    Character Development: Wiggles make great backstabbers if you get their racial Feats enhancing their fog ability, and allowing them to see through mists.
    Character Names: Most other races cannot speak Hurwaeti, so they choose a name in the language of whatever species ship they are serving on.

ROLEPLAYING A HURWAETI
    The world is a tough place. You have many racial enemies, and plenty of others are willing to take advantage of your reputation for being good employees. Your more primitive relatives certainly don't help your reputation. Your race has fallen far, and you are determined to change that.
    Personality: The Hurwaeti tend to be dour, nose to the grind sort of folk. The more civilized ones are dedicated to their clans survival, and earning money to once again get their species back on track in the universe. The Swamp Wiggles are recluses who rarely deal with outsiders, and the Salt Wiggles are little better than flesh eating Ogres.
    Behaviors: With the exception of the Salt Wiggles, Hurwaeti of all sorts are dedicated workers, often referred to as the perfect employees. Unless they meet members of the opposite sex, in which case they desert their positions to take advantage of the rare opportunity.
    Language: The Hurwaeti speak their own language, and that of the Lizardmen which is fairly similar in some ways.

HURWAETI SOCIETY
    The Hurwaeti were once a massive spacefaring civilization spreading their culture and beliefs. Alas, they had the misfortune of simultaneously declaring war on the Neogi, Beholders, and Illithids. The mistake cost them dearly, and shattered their empire. But for a few remaining colonies, the majority have descended into a far more barren existence. These 'Swamp Wiggles' live lives as little more than primitive hunters (or in some cases raiders). Something has gone wrong with them as 2% of their children are born monstrous. These children are almost universally tainted by Evil, and if not slain immediately they make for salt water to join their fellow outcasts. The cause of this malady is unknown. Much of the spacefaring Hurwaeti have been reduced to salvage or piracy, especially towards the territories of their old enemies.
    Alignment : The Wiggles formerly leaned strongly towards both Good and Neutrality, but the harshness of their new existence has burned much of the Goodness out of them. Mind you they aren't Evil, but they aren't exactly angels either. Even the primitive Swamp Wiggles are mostly Neutral. The Salt Wiggles, however, are almost universally Lawful Evil for reasons no one fully understands.
    Lands : The Hurwaeti are nomads, and are usually found strictly on ships as very few of them become land-bound anymore. Swamp Wiggles trend towards Temperate or Warm swamps. Salt Wiggles usually make for temperate or warm oceans, and if they can't find others of their own kind, they often live under bridges killing passers by.
    Settlements : The Hurwaeti have a wide range of options if they wish to settle down, but Swamp Wiggles rarely leave their marshy homes. Salt Wiggles keep to themselves as well if they want to live.
    Beliefs : Given their existence as travelers, the Hurwaeti encounter a variety of beliefs, and could worship a variety of deities. The Swamp and Salt Wiggles do not appear to have a concept of divinity.
    Relations: The Hurwaeti are affable enough, and are dedicated and hard working. They despise Neogi, Beholders, and Illithids. Swamp Wiggles are xenophobes who will deal with outsiders, but only if they can be proven to be more powerful than the tribe. Salt Wiggles are little more than monsters who see all other beings weaker than themselves as food.

HURWAETI ADVENTURES
    · Some kind of taint, whether physical or magical, is causing all of the tribes children to be born as Salt Wiggles. This must be stopped.
    · The Neogi are in town for repairs to their ship, and both you and a variety of their haters have decided it would be fun to stomp them into the dust..
    · Scrags have decided to contest with you Salt Wiggles for your territory. Let the wrasslin' begin!.

SWAMP WIGGLE (Spelljammer)

"You're in our territory now."

Swamp Wiggles are taller, long legged Hurwaeti who have become tribal hunters.

SWAMP WIGGLE RACIAL TRAITS
    · +2 Con, +2 Wis
    · Base land speed 20 ft.
    · Base swim speed 40 ft.
    · +5 Natural AC Bonus
    · Fog Cloud (Sp): Hurwaeti can cast Fog Cloud as a Spell-Like Ability 1/day as a 9th Level Sorcerer.
    · A Swamp Wiggle has 4 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 4d8 Hit Points, +3 Base Attack Bonus, +1 Fort Save, +4 Ref Save, +1 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Climb, Jump, Swim and Survival. It also gets 2 Feats.
    · Swamp Wiggles have a Primary Kick attack doing 1d6 plus Strength Bonus. They get 2 Kicks with a Full Attack.
    · Swamp Wiggles have a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim Check. They may use the Run Action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line. They also have a +8 Racial Bonus to Jump Checks.
    · Automatic Languages: Hurwaeti, Lizardman and Common. Bonus Languages: Any nearby race.
    · Level Adjustment: +1
    · Favored Class: Barbarian

STARTING AGE

AGING EFFECTS

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Height: 6'6"
    Base Weight: 195 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x (2d6) lbs.

SALT WIGGLE

"Hissssssssssss!"

About 2% of Swamp Wiggles eat the other eggs before parasitically devouring their incubating parent. If they manage to escape destruction they grow up to be large, fanged monsters often mistaken for Scrags.

SALT WIGGLE RACIAL TRAITS
    · +8 Str, +4 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -4 Cha
    · Size Class: Large (Tall). -1 Size Penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. -4 Size Penalty to Hide Checks. +4 Size Bonus to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are Double those of a Medium character. Space is 10', Reach is 10'.
    · Base land speed 15 ft.
    · Base swim speed 50 ft.
    · +8 Natural AC Bonus
    · Rend (Ex): If a Salt Wiggle hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d6 plus one and a half times Str Modifier points of damage.
    · A Salt Wiggle has 12 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 12d8 Hit Points, +9 Base Attack Bonus, +4 Fort Save, +8 Ref Save, +4 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Climb, Jump, Swim and Survival. It also gets 5 Feats.
    · Salt Wiggles have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d6 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 2d6 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws and a Bite with a Full Attack.
    · Salt Wiggles have a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim Check. They may use the Run Action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line. They also have a +8 Racial Bonus to Jump Checks.
    · Level Adjustment: +0

STARTING AGE

AGING EFFECTS

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Height: 7'6"
    Base Weight: 2000 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x (4d6) lbs.

Hurwaeti Racial Feats

Improved Fog Cloud
    You can use Fog Cloud more often.
    Prerequisites: Hurwaeti (or Wiggles), 9 Hit Dice
    Benefits: You may now use your Fog Cloud ability at will.

Mist Vision
    You can see through clouds that normally obscure vision.
    Prerequisites: Hurwaeti (or Wiggles), Wis 13+
    Benefits: You can see through fogs and mists normally, whether they are natural or magic (see below for a list of example spells).

Fogcaster
    You specialize in fog spells.
    Prerequisites: Hurwaeti (or Wiggles), Caster Level 6th
    Benefits: The following spells are added to your spell list, and you gain a +2 Bonus on Saves against them.
    1st Obscuring Mist
    2nd Fog Cloud
    3rd Arctic Haze (see Frostburn), Caustic Smoke (see Complete Mage), Contagious Fog (see Spell Compendium), Nauseating Breath (see Spell Compendium), Stinking Cloud
    4th Murderous Mist (see Spell Compendium), Solid Fog
    5th Cloudkill
    6th Acid Fog, Freezing Fog (see Spell Compendium)
    8th Incendiary Cloud
    9th Towering Thunderhead (see Complete Mage)

Hurwaeti Flexibility
    You'll take on any job.
    Prerequisites: Hurwaeti
    Benefits: Gain a +2 Bonus on any two Skills of your choice.

Hurwaeti Racial Substitution Levels

Scout
    Level 1: When choosing your Scout's Bonus Feats, you may opt to choose a Racial Feat instead.

Fighter
    Level 4: Replace your 6th Level Bonus Feat with Improved Fog Cloud.
    Murky Fog Cloud (Sp): When using your racial Fog Cloud ability you may instead choose to use Stinking Cloud (you are immune to it's effects).

Rogue
    Level 10+: You gain new options with your Rogues Special Ability.
    Special Ability (Ex): You may now choose from the following additional option:
    Solid Fog (Sp): You may now cast Solid Fog 1/day as a Spell-Like ability as a 10th Level Sorcerer. You are immune to it's effects.

Swamp Wiggle Racial Substitution Levels

Scout
    Level 1: When choosing your Scout's Bonus Feats, you may opt to choose a Racial Feat instead.

Barbarian
    Level 1: Lose Fast Movement for Obscuring Rage
    Obscuring Rage (Ex): You may now use your Racial Fog Cloud ability once per Rage.

Ranger
    Levels 2, 6, 11: Instead of Archery or Two Weapon Fighting for their Combat Style, Swamp Wiggle Rangers can choose Greatclub and Slinger.
    Combat Style: Greatclub get Weapon Focus (Greatclub) at 2nd Level, Weapon Specialization (Greatclub) at 6th Level, and Improved Critical (Greatclub) at 11th Level. Slinger gets Point Blank Shot at 2nd Level, Precise Shot at 6th Level, and Improved Precise Shot at 11th Level.

Salt Wiggle Racial Substitution Levels

Scout
    Level 4+: When choosing your Scout's Bonus Feats, you may opt to choose a Racial Feat instead.

Barbarian
    Level 1: Lose Fast Movement for Obscuring Rage
    Obscuring Rage (Ex): You may now use your Racial Fog Cloud ability once per Rage.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-11-20 at 05:26 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

18. - Top - End - #708

SALT WIGGLE

(…)

SALT WIGGLE RACIAL TRAITS
    · +8 Str, +4 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -4 Cha
    · Size Class: Large (Tall). -1 Size Penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. -4 Size Penalty to Hide Checks. +4 Size Bonus to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are Double those of a Medium character. Space is 10', Reach is 10'.
    · Base land speed 15 ft.
    · Base swim speed 50 ft.
    · +8 Natural AC Bonus
    · Rend (Ex): If a Salt Wiggle hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d6 plus one and a half times Str Modifier points of damage.
    · A Salt Wiggle has 12 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 12d8 Hit Points, +9 Base Attack Bonus, +4 Fort Save, +8 Ref Save, +4 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Climb, Jump, Swim and Survival. It also gets 5 Feats.
    · Salt Wiggles have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d6 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 2d6 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws and a Bite with a Full Attack.
    · Salt Wiggles have a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim Check. They may use the Run Action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line. They also have a +8 Racial Bonus to Jump Checks.
    I was going to compare these guys very favourably to ogres (as they are slightly above the ogre ballpark), but then I saw the 12 Humanoid RHD. That's a lot of bad RHD. Let's use scrags as a point of comparison!
    –Speed's a wash;
    –damage's a wash (stronger bite for the wiggle, more STR on the troll);
    –Amphibious (it's not a subtype, it's a special ability, by the way) and a slightly better natural AC for the wiggle;
    –but far better senses for the scrag (darvision 90', low-light vision and scent);
    –Leaper and the SLA are interesting;
    –but Regeneration blows them out of the water;
    –the wiggle has better mentals (+2 INT, +4 WIS);
    –but the scrags +4 on STR, +4 on DEX and +8 on CON make that a consolation price.

And again, Humanoid HD. Giant is atrocious alright, but Humanoid only really has Enlarge Person going for it. I'd reconsider that 12.

Hurwaeti Racial Feats

Improved Fog Cloud
    You can use Fog Cloud more often.
    Prerequisites: Hurwaeti (or Wiggles), 9 Hit Dice
    Benefits: You may now use your Fog Cloud ability at will.

(…)

Fighter
    Level 4: Replace your 6th Level Bonus Feat with Improved Fog Cloud.
    Improved Fog Cloud (Sp): When using your racial Fog Cloud ability you may instead choose to use Stinking Cloud (you are immune to it's effects).
    The identical name here is a tad confusing. They also leave me wondering if the two stack. At-will cloud of nausea is a hell of a BFC ability.
    Also, is the AFC 4th or 6th level?

Ranger
    Levels 2, 6, 11: Instead of Archery or Two Weapon Fighting for their Combat Style, Swamp Wiggle Rangers can choose Greatclub and Slinger.
    Combat Style: Greatclub get Weapon Focus (Greatclub) at 2nd Level, Weapon Specialization (Greatclub) at 6th Level, and Improved Critical (Greatclub) at 11th Level. Slinger gets Point Blank Shot at 2nd Level, Far Shot at 6th Level, and Precise Shot at 11th Level.
    I don't know. PBS is an annoying feat tax, mostly. Getting it for free is okay, but if one can get stuff chained off of it without having to meet requirements, it's not really worth it. Far Shot is kind of meh. Precise Shot, in the meantime is an absolutely essential tool for any dedicated ranged build. Waiting until ECL 15 to get it (unless the game starts at ECL 15 or higher, and probably kind of even then) is… Bad. Sabotage-level bad.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

I did some edits. How about if I change it to LA 0?
    Orcs and Goblins

20. - Top - End - #710

I did some edits.
    I'm not entirely sure what those even are. I'd still like the confusing identical name for Improved Fog Cloud and Improved Fog Cloud sorted out, and Slinger's still a big fat trap option.

How about if I change it to LA 0?
    Hm. If we balance against stupid WotC numbers (which I tend to advocate for the sake of compatibility), that's ECL 11 (6+5) versus ECL 12 (12+0). Yeah, that could work.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently the edits didn't take, so I have tried again.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #712

Okay, I see them now; it's all good.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

getting these up a day early, cause I got a lot of monsters coming tomorrow

KLA'A-TAH (Red Steel)

"Trouble is coming, warn your people."

The Kla'a-tah resemble great sea turtles with clawed forelimbs, and whose shells are studded with uncut gems and ore. Often called the Tortle Guardians, they often act as protectors of their race in times of disaster.

KLA'A-TAH RACIAL TRAITS
    · +12 Str, +6 Con, +4 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha
    · Size Class: Large (Long). -1 Size Penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. -4 Size Penalty to Hide Checks. +4 Size Bonus to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are Double those of a Medium character. Space is 10 ft., Reach is 5 ft.
    · Type: Magical Beast with the Aquatic and Amphibious Subtypes, giving it Low Light Vision.
    · Base land speed 15 ft.
    · Base swim speed 40 ft.
    · +11 Natural AC Bonus
    · Hold Breath (Ex): A Kla'a-tah can hold its breath for a number of hours equal to 4 × its Constitution modifier before it risks drowning.
    · Shell (Ex): The Kla'a-tah's thick shell gives it a +2 Resistance Bonus on Saving Throws. As a Move Action the Kla'a-tah may withdraw into (or emerge from) it's shell, increasing it's Natural Armor Bonus to AC to +13, and it's Save Bonus to +4.
    · Float (Ex): Kla'a-tah have a natural ballast system that lets them float at the top of the water as log as they want, and if they lose consciousness it immediately kicks in.
    · Darkvision 90 ft.
    · A Kla'a-tah has 7 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 7d10 Hit Points, +7 Base Attack Bonus, +5 Fort Save, +5 Ref Save, +2 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Knowledge (any), Swim and Survival. It also gets 3 Feats.
    · Kla'a-tah have a Primary Claw attack doing 2d4 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 2d8 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws and a Bite with a Full Attack.
    · Kla'a-tah have a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim Check. They may use the Run Action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line.
    . Non Humanoid Form: The Kla'a-tah aren't humanoid and have no hands. They may not make Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Heal, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, or Use Rope checks. They are also limited in the type of Perform skills they can get. They cannot wield weapons. If someone is willing to help them in and out of it they can wear armor. Being quadrupedal they have three times the normal carrying limits, get a +4 Racial Bonus to Bull Rush and Overrun Checks, as well as a +4 Racial Bonus to resist Trip attempts. Armor you buy is 4 times the normal cost and twice the normal weight.
    · Automatic Languages: Kla'a-tah, Tortle and Common. Bonus Languages: Any nearby race.
    · Level Adjustment: +3

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 110
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +4d6
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +6d6
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +10d6

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 175
    Old: 263
    Venerable: 350
    Maximum Age: +4d% years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Length: 10'
    Base Weight: 2050 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x4d6 lbs.

KLA'A-TAH CHARACTERS
    Given their Racial Hit Dice and LA, it's probably likely that most Kla'a-tah will stick with some sort of melee option.
    Adventuring Race: Kla'a-tah rarely leave their homes, and it would take threats of epic proportions to make them do so (though presumably they are as susceptible to the need for revenge as anyone else).
    Character Development: Given your limits due to your non-human form, and your lack of land speed, it would be wise to invest in something to offset this (even if it's just a caster Cohort who buffs you). Otherwise this race is for ocean based campaigns.
    Character Names: It is presumed the Kla'a-tah use Tortle names, but with no one else other than Tortles having ever communicated with them no one is sure.

ROLEPLAYING A KLA'A-TAH
    You are one of the last defenders of the natural world and the Old Ways. You cannot fail in your duties as protector.
    Personality: Kla'a-tah never shy away from a fight, and rarely retreat from one. They see themselves as protectors of their territory and work tirelessly to ensure it is free of evil influences and monsters.
    Behaviors: Kla'a-tah are rarely seen other than attacking Sea Gluttons or other monsters, or sunning themselves on rocks afterwards.
    Language: The Kla'a-tah speak their own language, and that of the Tortles.

KLA'A-TAH SOCIETY
    The Kla'a-tah are rare and reclusive, and usually only one of them is seen at a time. But for the moments when they have been glimpsed conversing with Tortle Shamans, it was always thought they were simply powerful animals. Legend about their origins is divided. Some believe they are Tortles changed somehow by the Monoliths of Zul or the Immortals, or even Tortles who have somehow overcome the Red Curse.
    Alignment : The few Kla'a-tah that have been encountered have always been Neutral Good.
    Lands : Kla'a-tah live in temperate waters off the coasts near Tortle communities. It is thought they live in deep trenches towards the ocean floors.
    Settlements : Kla'a-tah have never been observed far from the territories of their Tortle charges.
    Beliefs : Given the many rumors of their attachments to the Immortals, they can presumably be said to worship at least one of them (likely Ka), but it has never been observed.
    Relations: They hate the Sea Gluttons and Cluu-rin, but haven't been observed interacting with any races but them and the Tortles.

KLA'A-TAH ADVENTURES
    · A demagogue among the Tortles is preaching the virtues of a new deity, a deity that considers you irrelevant and possibly dangerous Something tells you the newest assault against your charges will be a more subtle threat than usual,
    · Animals normally considered prey are disappearing quietly, and predators are becoming a threat to the surrounding area through sheer desperation. You need to fix this quick.
    · Something appears to be directing the Sea Gluttons attacks. They don't normally have much in the way of tactics or cooperation. Time you round up some friends and go investigate.

Kla'a-tah Racial Feats

Tortle Guardian
    You often search the future for catastrophes in order to guard your Tortle charges.
    Prerequisites: Kla'a-tah, Wis 15+
    Benefits: You may cast Augury 3/day as a Spell-like Ability.

Tortle Seer
    You are a veteran guardian.
    Prerequisites: Tortle Guardian
    Benefits: You may cast Divination 1/day as a Spell-like ability.

Glutton Killer
    You are a devoted foe of the Sea Gluttons.
    Prerequisites: Kla'a-tah or Cluu-rin
    Benefits: You gain +2 Favored Enemy Bonus (Magical Beast). This is identical to the Ranger's ability listed in the PHB.

Hard Shelled
    Your armor is thicker than usual.
    Prerequisites: Kla'a-tah, Con 20+, Hit Dice 9+
    Benefits: You gain DR 2/-. This Feat may be taken multiple times, and it's effects stack.

Kla'a-tah Racial Substitution Levels

Cleric
    Level 1: Kla'a-tah Clerics revere Mother Ocean (Calitha Starbow: Alignment, Favored Weapon Trident, Domains are Animal, Healing, Ocean, Plant, Time and Water) or Father Earth (Ka: Alignment LG, Favored Weapon Longsword, Domains are Animal, Creation, Knowledge, Protection, Scalykind). They also spontaneously cast domain spells instead of Cure spells.

Barbarian
    Level 1: Your Fast Movement applies to your Swim speed, not your land speed.

Druid
    Level 1: You have an Aquatic Animal Companion (see Stormwrack page 50).
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-11-30 at 10:41 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #714

KLA'A-TAH (Red Steel)

"Trouble is coming, warn your people."

The Kla'a-tah resemble great sea turtles with clawed forelimbs, and whose shells are studded with uncut gems and ore. Often called the Tortle Guardians, they often act as protectors of their race in times of disaster.
    Nice! I like 'em.

· Shell (Ex): The Kla'a-tah's thick shell gives it a +2 Resistance Bonus on Saving Throws. As a Move Action the Kla'a-tah may withdraw into (or emerge from) it's shell, increasing it's Natural Armor Bonus to AC to +13, and it's Save Bonus to +4.

How does an Ex shell give a bonus to Will saves?

Lands : Kla'a-tah live in temperate waters off the coasts near Tortle communities. It is thought they live in deep trenches towards the ocean floors.
    Even with a starting CON of 18 before the racial bonus plus 2 ASis and a +4 item the big turtles can only Hold their breath for abot 24 minutes. I'm not sure deep sea trenches would work out so hot for them. Maybe if they were Amphibious or had a feat to upgrade their Hold Breath to Amphibious.

Kla'a-tah Racial Feats

Tortle Guardian
    You often search the future for catastrophes in order to guard your Tortle charges.
    Prerequisites: Kla'a-tah, Wis 15+
    Benefits: You may cast Augury 3/day as a Spell-like Ability.

Tortle Seer
    You are a veteran guardian.
    Prerequisites: Tortle Guardian
    Benefits: You may cast Divination 1/day as a Spell-like ability.
    Hrm. Not very strong, but very thematic. I'll go with a good job there!

Hard Shelled
    Your armor is thicker than usual.
    Prerequisites: Kla'a-tah, Cha 20+, Hit Dice 9+
    Benefits: You gain DR 2/-. This Feat may be taken multiple times, and it's effects stack.
    CHA? Why CHA?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

How does an Ex shell give a bonus to Will saves?
    The source material never explains it. Maybe it's the gems//ore crusting the shell?

CHA? Why CHA?
    Oopsie, that was supposed to be Con. I revised the hold breath too.
    Orcs and Goblins

26. - Top - End - #716

The source material never explains it. Maybe it's the gems//ore crusting the shell?
    Eh, works for me.

I revised the hold breath too.
    That might be a tad too much. 48+ hours? I'd go down to something like 4×CON modifier; that's 12+ hours. Real-world sea turtles can manage about 7, so that's not even artistic license territory.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, works for me.

That might be a tad too much. 48+ hours? I'd go down to something like 4×CON modifier; that's 12+ hours. Real-world sea turtles can manage about 7, so that's not even artistic license territory.
    OOpsie, I forgot to change that. I has fixed.
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #718

'Kay, all good now!

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

CLUU-RIN

"We require tribute for passage through our lands."

Cluu-rin appear somewhat smaller and sleeker than the Kla'a-tah, and are the 'guardians' (extortionists really) of the Snapper race.

CLUU-RIN RACIAL TRAITS
    · +12 Str, +8 Con, +4 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
    · Size Class: Large (Long). -1 Size Penalty to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. -4 Size Penalty to Hide Checks. +4 Size Bonus to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are Double those of a Medium character. Space is 10 ft., Reach is 5 ft..
    · Type: Magical Beast, giving it Low Light Vision
    · Base land speed 10 ft.
    · Base swim speed 50 ft.
    · +10 Natural AC Bonus
    · Hold Breath (Ex): A Cluu-rin can hold its breath for a number of hours equal to 4 × its Constitution modifier before it risks drowning.
    · Shell (Ex): As a Move Action a Cluu-rin may withdraw into (or exit from) it's shell, increasing it's Natural Armor Bonus to AC to +13.
    · Float (Ex): Cluu-rin have a natural ballast system that lets them float at the top of the water as log as they want, and if they lose consciousness it immediately kicks in.
    · Darkvision 90 ft.
    · A Cluu-rin has 8 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 8d10 Hit Points, +8 Base Attack Bonus, +6 Fort Save, +6 Ref Save, +2 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Knowledge (any), Swim and Survival. It also gets 3 Feats.
    · Cluu-rin have a Primary Claw attack doing 2d4 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite Attack doing 2d8 plus 1/2 Str Modifier. They get 2 Claws and a Bite with a Full Attack.
    · Cluu-rin have a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and may always Take 10 on a Swim Check. They may use the Run Action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line.
    . Non Humanoid Form: The Cluu-rin aren't humanoid and have no hands. They may not make Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Heal, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, or Use Rope checks. They are also limited in the type of Perform skills they can get. They cannot wield weapons. If someone is willing to help them in and out of it they can wear armor. Armor is quadruple the cost and double the weight for them. Being quadrupedal they have three times the normal carrying limits, get a +4 Racial Bonus to Bull Rush and Overrun Checks, as well as a +4 Racial Bonus to resist Trip attempts. Armor you buy is 4 times the normal cost and twice the normal weight.
    · Automatic Languages: Cluu-rin, Tortle and Common. Bonus Languages: Any nearby race.
    · Level Adjustment: +3

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 110
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +4d6
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +6d6
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +10d6

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 175
    Old: 263
    Venerable: 350
    Maximum Age: +4d% years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Length: 8'
    Base Weight: 1850 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x4d6 lbs.

CLUU-RIN CHARACTERS
    The Cluu-rin are little more than thieves. Most will opt for melee classes or Rogue, either of which they are suited for.
    Adventuring Race: Cluu-rin adventure for the same reasons as other evil beings: power, wealth, revenge. Not always in that order.
    Character Development: Much like the Kla'a-tah it would be wise to take Leadership to have a Cohort buffer cover your weaknesses.
    Character Names: Currently unknown, as the Cluu-rin never give their names.

ROLEPLAYING A CLUU-RIN
    You are the Lord of your territory, and you kill anything that says otherwise. Unless it's willing to pay for passage.
    Personality: The Cluu-rin require money or some other form of tribute to pass through their lands, for their protection, and for just about any interaction with other beings. They're either bribed, or everything ends in violence.
    Behaviors: The Cluu-rin are very territorial, and are just as keen to keep large sea creatures out of their waters as the Kla'a-tah, though this is less due to ethics and more to do with keeping out rivals.
    Language: The Cluu-Rin speak their own language and Tortle as well.

CLUU-RIN SOCIETY
    The Cluu-Rin effectively have no society. They live as primitive animals or brigands, demanding tribute even from the Snapper tribes whom they consider to be under their protection (as long as they pay up). The Cluu-rin can be bribed, and sometimes form associations with pirates, but beyond that anyone meeting them is dead.
    Alignment : The Cluu-rin are almost universally Neutral evil.
    Lands : Cluu-Rin tend towards life in the warmer parts of the ocean where the Snapper tribes can be found.
    Settlements : The Cluu-Rin only move when there are too many of them to peacefully co-exist in one area.
    Beliefs : The Cluu-Rin have never been observed performing any religious rituals or indulging in anything that could be construed as worship. It could e assumed, however, that their species has some form of negative metaphysical influence in much the same way the Kla'a-tah have a positive one.
    Relations: The Cluu-Rin are extremely territorial, and attack most other races on sight.

CLUU-RIN ADVENTURES
    · The locals have had enough of your piracy, and are mounting a coup to oust you. Time to show them who's boss.
    · Another Cluu-rin has given in to the Affliction due to lack of cinnabryl, and he is swiftly becoming a local terror in his desperation to find what he needs. He's murdered the Snappers who were his former providers when they came up dry. He has become such a problem, in fact, that it has been decided that you need to do something about him. Otherwise the other Cluu-rin will conspire to cut off your tribute of cinnabryl until you do.
    · Rumors abound of a ghostly Sea Glutton haunting the local waters. Both Cluu-rin and Kla'a-tah have been found dead, and you have been asked to broker a temporary alliance to get rid of a mutual problem

Cluu-rin Racial Feats

Locking Jaws
    You're like a Pit Bull.
    Prerequisites: Cluu-rin, Str 25+
    Benefits: You gain Improved Grab. When you successfully make a Bite attack against an opponent your own size or smaller, you can immediately make a Grapple attempt as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Death Grip
    Pit Bulls now worship at your feet.
    Prerequisites: Locking Jaws, 15+ HD
    Benefits: You gain the Constriction ability, doing 2d8 plus one and a half times Str Modifier damage with a successful Grapple Check.

Jaws of Death
    Prerequisites: Death Grip
    Benefits: Your Bite attack now threatens a critical on a Natural 18-20, and does +1d6 damage on a successful Critical.

Cluu-rin Racial Substitution Levels

Cleric
    Level 1: Cluu-rin worship no Gods that anyone know of, but they still have 'shamans'. Their Favored Weapon is their own claw, and available Domains are Evil, Tyrant (see Complete Warrior) and Water.

Barbarian
    Level 1: Your Fast Movement applies to your Swim speed, not your Land speed.

Druid
    Level 1: You have an Aquatic Animal Companion (see Stormwrack page 50).
    Last edited by Bhu; 2022-12-05 at 10:48 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

30. - Top - End - #720

CLUU-RIN

(…)

· Type: Magical Beast Aquatic and Amphibious Subtypes, giving it Low Light Vision
    Amphibious is still not a subtype, but rather a special ability.

· Hold Breath (Ex): A Cluu-rin can hold its breath for a number of hours equal to 3 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
    Same old overkill as with the other big turtle, and it's not even like they need it (if you need them resistant to suffocation for some reason, a more conservative N×CON rounds duration would do just fine; owing to Amphibious, drowning is a non-issue).

CLUU-RIN CHARACTERS
    The Cluu-rin are little more than thieves. Most will opt for melee classes or Rogue, either of which they are suited for.
    I'd argue that being STR/CON-heavy with size penalties and RHD they aren't exactly your usual Rogue-material.