New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dungeons: The Dragoning

An hour ago, I stumbled across what may be the greatest roleplaying system of all time; a homebrewed system which came out of 4chan's /tg/ board. Dungeons: The Dragoning is a balls-to-the-wall crazy system which is essentially a chimera of D&D, WoD and 40K, jam packed with references and asides to practically every aspect of traditional gaming there is.

You can find the PDF here.

It's Rifts 2.0 if it was written in the fever dreams of some kind of neckbeard deity, and that? That is awesome. I am actually seriously considering running this, and it's exploding on /tg/ at this very moment. I recommend downloading it and at least giving it a read.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

2. - Top - End - #2

Daemon

Default Re: Dungeons: The Dragoning

Oh my god. Do want.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Less than 24 hours old, and it's already a google autocomplete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

4. - Top - End - #4

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Thus spake 4chan.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Spells can backfire. SPELLS CAN BACKFIRE!
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    It's also rocketed up to 100 votes on the suptg archive in a matter of hours, putting it up there with the best archived threads ever. (For comparison, 20 votes or more is the highest rating a thread can have, IE 'Epic' rating.)
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

I know, I'm a fa/tg/uy myself. Matter of fact, I've been keeping an eye on this all night, when I've got a term paper I should be writing. It's a quarter past 5 and I'm still awake.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So question, is this grid based or something? If not would it work for a play by post? The only system we use is another homebrewed one and works well but the guys might want some variety.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The title made me suspect the content, but I could have never dreamt 40K to be a part of it.

Gonna dl it to see what it's like, but got a game in 30 minutes, so not much chance yet.

EDIT: If anyone is going to run a PbP game based on this, PM me.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-04-02 at 01:39 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I've gotta get ready for work soon, so I can't browse that now, but I will soon

I am intrigued

-reserves slot for potential pbp-

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Great. Here I am trying to learn Dark Heresy, now there's a whole new RPG system I wanna learn.
    Eh, I got time, and I DL'd the pdf.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't know why they seem to use My Little Pony as a contrast to manliness, but that's my only complaint up to page 9. Looks to be a hilarious read.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    I don't know why they seem to use My Little Pony as a contrast to manliness, but that's my only complaint up to page 9. Looks to be a hilarious read.
    Because dude, MLP is BRIGHTLY COLORED, not GRIMDARK AND TESTICULAR.

It's a parody book, man, don't sweat it too much. Besides, MLP catches a LOT of hate on /tg/ and /co/ even since before the great aponylypse or whatever they're calling it. That was a true example of powerspamming.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is this not completely terrible? I was all set to make fun of it, but everything I've read so far makes WotC look like a bunch of incompetent ten year olds publishing an RPG by contrast. And this is a parody?

Brain = asploded.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Why is this not completely terrible? I was all set to make fun of it, but everything I've read so far makes WotC look like a bunch of incompetent ten year olds publishing an RPG by contrast. And this is a parody?

Brain = asploded.
    Hell, it makes GW's official product look both tame AND ill-made.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

this is interesting enough for me to actually investigate.

its a little weird......but I might actually try it. the exaltation, race and class thing opens up a lot of combinations....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

It has a website now: http://lawfulnice.blogspot.com/

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Sarco_Phage View Post
    Because dude, MLP is BRIGHTLY COLORED, not GRIMDARK AND TESTICULAR.

It's a parody book, man, don't sweat it too much. Besides, MLP catches a LOT of hate on /tg/ and /co/ even since before the great aponylypse or whatever they're calling it. That was a true example of powerspamming.
    Oh, I know. I just wanted to point out that Fluttershy is more badass than the vast majority of Commissars, so it seemed an odd choice to anyone familiar with the show (FiM, of course, not the earlier incarnations). It wasn't supposed to be a serious complaint.

In any case, the system looks entertaining, interesting and adaptable. I'll have to finish it tomorrow, though. Just started chapter 8: Magic.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm up to page 200 so far, and yet it somehow inexplicably continues to be awesome. I mean, a few things are unclear or poorly worded; there are places where he apparently changed what the word for something was but forgot to change it everywhere (say, anima and arcana for Atlanteans); there are a couple spots of obvious imbalance (Zenith Caste vs Twilight Caste); and there are a couple "I would have done this differently" bits (like making attacks of opportunity a special once-per-round free action instead of a reaction action), but overall it looks excellent.

It looks pretty open to modifying how things work. For ecample, you could easily have a low-power game by making characters without Exaltations and using the one-level classes.

And even if it wasn't so well-written, I'd still have to love it for the lines like "Paragons are perhaps the most subtle of all Exalts. They don't have blatant supernatural abilities. They can't change shape or kill people with special mind bullets (just the same mind bullets as anyone else)."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Oh, I know. I just wanted to point out that Fluttershy is more badass than the vast majority of Commissars, so it seemed an odd choice to anyone familiar with the show (FiM, of course, not the earlier incarnations). It wasn't supposed to be a serious complaint.

In any case, the system looks entertaining, interesting and adaptable. I'll have to finish it tomorrow, though. Just started chapter 8: Magic.
    Hey,

Playtester and IRL friend of the creator here! There has actually been enough of a demand that Lawfulnice will be adding a MLP inspired race to an upcoming splatbook.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding DtD, please let me know!

21. - Top - End - #21

WolfInSheepsClothing

I skimmed it a bit. Nice. I am confused though: Does 'paragon' not have a list of things to spend action points on, or did I just end up with a damaged download?
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    I skimmed it a bit. Nice. I am confused though: Does 'paragon' not have a list of things to spend action points on, or did I just end up with a damaged download?
    A Paragon can spend Action Points in the same way anyone else can spend resource points. It is true that it doesn't have a scaling list of abilities from higher levels in Pressure. They just have a larger and larger pool of Pressure Points to spend to directly modify rolls.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

So the Paragon has a First Excellency. I like it.
    Last edited by Teln; 2011-04-02 at 08:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ampris View Post
    Hey,

Playtester and IRL friend of the creator here! There has actually been enough of a demand that Lawfulnice will be adding a MLP inspired race to an upcoming splatbook.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding DtD, please let me know!
    Well, considering it is a mash-up of three big tabeltop gigs, one can only wonder if more will be brought in or otherwise be statted up in DtD. Like Cthulhu for example.

A MLP race sounds interesting... I don't suppose we may know other races that are going to be upcoming? (Especially odd ones out like MLP in this case, since ponies don't have hands and all.)
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Well, considering it is a mash-up of three big tabeltop gigs, one can only wonder if more will be brought in or otherwise be statted up in DtD. Like Cthulhu for example.

A MLP race sounds interesting... I don't suppose we may know other races that are going to be upcoming? (Especially odd ones out like MLP in this case, since ponies don't have hands and all.)

Just 3 smashups you say?

Please take a moment to examine the books cover if you will! DnD, 40k, 7th sea, and Vampire are all there! He also used things L5R, Exalted, and a few other RPGs along with a touch of homebrew to keep it all happy and balanced! =D

And we aren't sure on further races right now. Since he just released it yesterday hes gotten swamped with suggestions (everything from MLP to blood-magic to weapons and cybernetics requests!).

I can tell you there will shortly be a new version with bookmarks and fewer typos along with optional point-buy rules for character creation. :)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ampris View Post
    Just 3 smashups you say?

Please take a moment to examine the books cover if you will! DnD, 40k, 7th sea, and Vampire are all there! He also used things L5R, Exalted, and a few other RPGs along with a touch of homebrew to keep it all happy and balanced! =D

And we aren't sure on further races right now. Since he just released it yesterday hes gotten swamped with suggestions (everything from MLP to blood-magic to weapons and cybernetics requests!).

I can tell you there will shortly be a new version with bookmarks and fewer typos along with optional point-buy rules for character creation. :)
    Not to mention at least two of the races have their entire fluff ripped straight from Mass Effect and one from the Hobbit. I missed about half the references in the book, but those were pretty hilarious. Give the man some kudos.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RaginChangeling View Post
    Give the man some kudos.
    Will do, he's still recovering from the initial shock of how well DtD was received haha

28. - Top - End - #28

I really want to play this system now...

29. - Top - End - #29

I saw this in passing on /tg/, originally assumed it was just nonsense.

But this? This?

This is quite possibly one of the most beautiful train wrecks of several systems I've ever seen. And it gives me a reason to use the Roll and Keep system without having to try and pull teeth to get my group to play L5R again.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

30. - Top - End - #30

I think that the consensus is clear here: Someone must run a game in this system. And it will be AWESOME. Don't look at me; I'm already DM'ing several O=