A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Cheese in the Playground!

Enjoying some Dubliner cheese at the moment. So so good. I'm tearing up a bit.

This is the thread for discussing your favorite cheeses, cheese-based recipes, things you like to eat with cheese, or any humorous cheese related stories (I once had a Skink who loved easy cheese).

I really like sweet aged cheeses, usually dryer, crumblier stuff but I do, from time to time, enjoy a nice Brie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cheese in the Playground!

Manchego is my favorite cheese.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do quite like cheese yes.
    Cheddar cheese is my favourite I'd say.
    Generally I'll eat cheese with sandwiches and crackers, or sometimes just on its own if I'm in need of a very quick snack.
    Not much of an explorer of the culinary arts to be fair, I make what I want to eat, and what I want to eat tends to be whatever can be done quickly and with a minimal amount of effort unfortunately.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goat and cheese, specifically the creamier kinds. In America, it's just called chevre, but in France, all goat cheese are chevre, so it's chevre douce. Also a good manchego, or pecorino romano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I hadn't tried Manchego until a recent trip to Costa Rica, where they make their own type of Manchego cheese. I suppose since it wasn't from Spain it might not count to a true cheese connoisseur but a connoisseur I am not. I'm just a man. A man who loves cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    I do quite like cheese yes.
    Cheddar cheese is my favourite I'd say.
    Generally I'll eat cheese with sandwiches and crackers, or sometimes just on its own if I'm in need of a very quick snack.
    Not much of an explorer of the culinary arts to be fair, I make what I want to eat, and what I want to eat tends to be whatever can be done quickly and with a minimal amount of effort unfortunately.
    Cheddar is delicious. I live in Oregon where we have the Tillamook cheese factory that makes a really awesome cheddar. They also have Ice cream and you can tour the facility. I would recommend checking it out if you're ever near the northern Oregon cost (which, by the way, is beautiful).

I'd encourage you to try as many cheeses as humanly possible. Even if you have to kill people to get to them.

When I was a seventeen year old misanthrope, my friends and I had a tradition in which once a week, we would steal the most expensive cheese from the grocer and buy some break or crackers and burn through the whole brick in a night. Disgusting and immoral, yes, but we discovered a lot of really good cheeses that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cheeses I like:
    Extra Sharp Cheddar
    Gouda(I'm not even a hobgoblin!)
    Emmental
    Gruyère

Sadly I am too poor to buy cheese much, but I live near a fancy Kroger that frequently has free samples. So I sample them. I also think the Sardinians have insane taste in cheese.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooh, a Cheese thread! Alright! Now I can ask this question:

Me and my wife have been wanting to try some different kinds of cheese, but being on a limited income, we don't want to just grab a cheese and try it, only to find out we absolutely hate it, and then have wasted that money. So, what kind of cheeses would you suggest to try?

Here are our likes:

I like American Cheese, Mozzarella, Colby Jack & Monterery, and sometimes ye olde spray cheese!(Also, cheddar and nacho cheese)

My wife is pretty much the same really. I THINK she likes Sharp cheddar, but only once in a while, whereas I'm really not a fan of sharp cheddar, or sharp anything.

So, ideas/suggestions?

edit: I remembered, I also like this one cheese, I have no idea what it's called, I just know you sometimes get it in christmas gift packages, and it has nuts and stuff on the outside, and you can spread it on crackers and what not. delicious.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-11-02 at 05:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I like pretty much anything but swiss, when it comes to cheese. And I'd rather give up chocolate than cheese, so that should say something about how much I like it
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Sadly I am too poor to buy cheese much, but I live near a fancy Kroger that frequently has free samples. So I sample them. I also think the Sardinians have insane taste in cheese.
    Had that. Not as terrible nor as good as advertised. Struck me as being strongly flavored, but not a particularly interesting flavor. 6/10, would not have again.

As the above statement may make clear, I like cheese. Recently, I found a brand that sells a mozzerella/provolone blend that's pretty damn good for the price (and since I'm poor, that price is low ). Wish I had more cash to spend on cheeses, but really, I don't. Sad times.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10

Mmmm, cheese...

I Enjoy a good Camembert, or a good smoked cheese.
    Goats cheese can either be really tasty or a bit meh.

I just wish I'd got to have some *actual* Cheddar while in the UK (technically the only "Cheddar" cheese is that produced in the Cheddar county/area in the UK, a bit like how only sparkling wine made in Champagne is called Champagne. Unfortunately the people of Cheddar have lost every bid to have everyone else's Cheddar be called something else :( )
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Cheese tends to hurt my tummy in one way or another, but I recently found out that Kraft is making fat-free motzerella and cheddar shredded cheese. So now I can ditch my veggie shreds and pick up some thing a bit more...cheesy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

As I type this I am holding an enormous toasted mozzarella sandwich. I have payed good money for imported Oaxaca simply to perfect my quesadilla, although I do love some well-aged mozzarella for that application...

I make a mean goddam quesadilla.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Favourite cheese depends what I'm doing with it, really. For just eating on its own, or putting on biscuits, it has to be Stilton--can't be beat for this. For pretty much any other usage, including sandwiches, putting on top of spaghetti bolognese, etc, mature Cheddar is the way to go.

14. - Top - End - #14

Brie is an underrated cheese. You can bake a small wheel of it with some jam inside a pie crust. Or even better, take a few thin slices, some sliced strawberries, and sandwich them between 2 slices of french toast and top it with some confectioner's sugar.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

15. - Top - End - #15

Generally, for me it's the stronger the better. Really old salty Gruyére is at the lower border of "really enjoyable".

There is an annual cheese fair for local cheeses a few hours away that I go to, usually. They had the most delicious cheese I've ever had. It could knock out unprepared people from twenty metres away.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I've heard good things about it. So many things that I acquired a wedge of it.

...Now I'm not exactly sure what to do with it now that I have it.

I'm thinking of toasting a piece of bread and putting a slice of it on it to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17

Pecorino Romano and Italian Fontina cheeses are all you will ever need, ever.

Everything else is rotten milk.

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGirl

If you need a nice sturdy cheese, try an aged gouda. Also a great substitute for parmesean.

Goat gouda is delicious, as is the O'Banon goat cheese - wrapped in leaves that have been soaked in bourbon, yum!

Had some Challerhocker the other day that was very nice and sturdy enough to take backpacking.

I'm a fan of good cheddar and herbed mozarellas as well.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Some people enjoy swiss cheese, but I don't. They tell me why, but I don't listen. There are just too many holes in their argument. Seriously, I do enjoy swiss, I just wanted to make that joke.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

my favorite cheese is camambert always camambert
    otherwise being french i have exposure to a lot of cheese and i adore the stinky stuff
    roquefort is amazing
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I find that cheese curds are better than cheese when discussing applications such as mac and cheese, or broccoli and cheese soup. The are a younger cheddar, but they're almost buttery in flavor with a tiny bit of sharpness. Very very good in mac and cheese.

Squash/parsnip puree and goat cheese is awesome. Unbelievably good. Key thing is make sure the puree is hot and the goat cheese is as cold as you can keep it. Cut a 'slice' of goat cheese (it's goat cheese, anyone who has used it knows it doesn't slice so much as break apart) and place it on the bottom of a bowl. Add on a few crumbled walnuts or bashed up pistachios. Pour on puree. Dash of olive oil. Dash of parsley. It's like a soup, only every now and again you get a nice chunk of goat cheese and a light bit of nutty flavor to contrast. People think it's an expensive gourmet soup every time I serve it.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I absolutely love cheese. Camembert, brie, parmesan... good, strong cheeses.

I also like blue cheese. Very, very much. It's also wonderful on those hamburgers like the one they had at Wendy's and the one at Carl's Jr. Man. Good stuff.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread made me ravenously hungry for cheese so I gorged myself on Gouda and Emmental at lunch. It was sooo good.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Hot buttered toast.
    Crumbled feta cheese.
    Parsley leaves.

You're welcome.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Some people enjoy swiss cheese, but I don't. They tell me why, but I don't listen. There are just too many holes in their argument. Seriously, I do enjoy swiss, I just wanted to make that joke.
    Phh. What Americans sell as Swiss Cheese is neither Swiss nor really Cheese, in my opinion. Plus, there's like 500 kinds of Swiss Cheeses, and exactly one of them has big holes.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm lucky enough to live close to Borough Market where there are some excellent cheese stalls. Unfortunately one of the best ones moved out a couple of months ago but there are still some good ones left.

Generally I like my cheese strong when white and mild when blue. I used to eat a lot of Roquefort and Danish Blue but I now eat very little blue cheese and when I do it's mostly Stilton.

My favourite cheeses at the moment are probably St Marcellin and Epoisse. These are really strong, Camembert-type cheeses (I think they are both from Normandy).

For hard cheeses there's not much to beat a good strong Cheddar, but a good Gruyere or Comte is nice. If I'm in the mood for eating something I really should be cooking with (I do the same with apples) then I'll happily eat Parmesan or Pecorino Sardo.

In general, though, if it comes from cow or sheep I'll give it a go. If it's unpasteurised, so much the better.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Hot buttered toast.
    Crumbled feta cheese.
    Parsley leaves.

You're welcome.
    Hot Buttered Toast
    Slabs of young Mozzarella (not the hard stuff, the stuff thats soft and spongy).
    Basil leaves.
    The slightest dash of garlic powder you can manage.

Your welcome.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    If you need a nice sturdy cheese, try an aged gouda. Also a great substitute for parmesean.

Goat gouda is delicious, as is the O'Banon goat cheese - wrapped in leaves that have been soaked in bourbon, yum!

Had some Challerhocker the other day that was very nice and sturdy enough to take backpacking.

I'm a fan of good cheddar and herbed mozarellas as well.
    Goat gouda++

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Hot Buttered Toast
    Slabs of young Mozzarella (not the hard stuff, the stuff thats soft and spongy).
    Basil leaves.
    The slightest dash of garlic powder you can manage. Fresh garlic
    Fresh tomatoes

Your welcome.
    Edited. You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by ShortOne View Post
    Edited. You're welcome.
    I stand corrected.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Hot buttered toast.
    Crumbled feta cheese.
    Parsley leaves.

You're welcome.
    *mouth waters*
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!