A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GtKaP Interview Thread 1: arguskos

What's your favorite genre of your favorite form of media?

What do you think of abstract art?

What was the last book you read? Was it any good?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    What's your favorite genre of your favorite form of media?
    By media, do you mean specifically film/television/music, or do you mean something else?

If you mean film/television/music, I'll probably roll with film as my favorite and say that science fiction films remain my favorite, due to their high potential ceiling.

What do you think of abstract art?
    The idea of art abstracted is a good one, but far too many artists delve too deeply into the pool of pretension, using "it's abstract" as an escape from criticism. For instance, there have been artists who simply painted a canvas a single shade of blue, then sold it for thousands of dollars.

That's not art. Art has depth. Blue has no depth, it's just blue. Stop being pretentious and make something with some detail and depth dammit.

What was the last book you read? Was it any good?
    Last actual book I read, not counting the various gaming manuals I peruse commonly, was my old dog-eared copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Verne. And yes, it's quite lovely.

Last piece of literature I read was Harrison Bergeron, by Vonnegut. Also good, though I didn't care for it overly to be honest. Sadly, I have to write a paper on it for Wednesday, and I'd really rather not.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Good sir (unironically),

What personal significance does the 1925 silver dollar have that you mentioned? If I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    The idea of art abstracted is a good one, but far too many artists delve too deeply into the pool of pretension, using "it's abstract" as an escape from criticism. For instance, there have been artists who simply painted a canvas a single shade of blue, then sold it for thousands of dollars.

That's not art. Art has depth. Blue has no depth, it's just blue. Stop being pretentious and make something with some detail and depth dammit.
    I think you would enjoy an essay by Arthur Danto, "The Artworld."

Or, uh, question...
    Will you (have you) read "The Artworld" by Danto?
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-04-11 at 06:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: GtKaP Interview Thread 1: arguskos

What do you think is the first thing humanity will use the moon for?
    Baby B-day Turtle Avatar by Savannah
    fnord
    Ex-Keeper of The Birthdays (The Birthday Thread)

Official president of the Teevo must die fanclub

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Will you (have you) read "The Artworld" by Danto?
    Maybe? Dunno. Pretty busy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthix View Post
    What do you think is the first thing humanity will use the moon for?
    Military purposes. Human nature, after all.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-04-11 at 09:19 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

I personally woulda said the tide, but I'm facetious that way.

What... is your favourite colour! /Tim
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    What... is your favourite colour! /Tim
    It... continues to be blue.

Also, Kneenibble, here is the answer to the question about the coin:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What personal significance does the 1925 silver dollar have that you mentioned? If I may ask?
    It was given to me, along with two brethren, by an old lady who lived across the street from me when I was a child. As I was young, I didn't realize their value, so I fritted two of them away like a fool. The third was tossed into the bottom of a coin jar and forgotten about for many years.

I found it recently, around four years ago, in 2007, when I was making the decision for what school to go to out of college. I was... out of time to make a decision, and couldn't decide, so I said "meh, screw it", flipped it once, and went with the decision.

A month later, at my new school, I saw a girl walking past one day. I thought she was pretty hot, and was wondering if I should call out to her and brazenly invite her to join me for a snack and perhaps a trip to the pool. I couldn't decide, so I tossed a coin. The same coin, actually. Came up heads 2/3 throws, so I went with it. We were together 2.5 years, including the happiest one of my entire life, and the worst one of my life.

I've carried it ever since, using it to decide my fate when I can't make up my own damn mind. Today, I carry it for that reason, as a reminder of my religious beliefs (which I can't discuss here, for obvious reasons), and as a simple reminder to keep my eye on the physical things in life.

I named it, even. Hekate, after the Greek goddess of magic, fate, and the crossroads.

The 2003 walking liberty, which notably is a 100% silver proof which should never have seen circulation, is my token of good luck (nothing says luck like getting a 100% silver piece in CHANGE AT THE GROCERY). I named it too, Tymora.

8. - Top - End - #98

OH MY.

Did you happen to get acid thrown in your face during some court proceedings?

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Neat, arguskos. Thanks for sharing.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

OH MY.

Did you happen to get acid thrown in your face during some court proceedings?
    No. However, it's the right design for Two-Face's coin, though it lacks the scarred back (and I will never damage it on purpose).

EDIT: Absolutely, Knee. Anytime.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-04-11 at 09:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

No. However, it's the right design for Two-Face's coin, though it lacks the scarred back (and I will never damage it on purpose).

EDIT: Absolutely, Knee. Anytime.
    I hope not! I've seen pictures, it's a beautiful coin.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I hope not! I've seen pictures, it's a beautiful coin.
    She certainly is. In my oh-so-humble opinion, she's the most beautiful coin the US has ever produced (with the half-dollar's reverse as the most beautiful design on any US coin under a dollar).

13. - Top - End - #103

She certainly is. In my oh-so-humble opinion, she's the most beautiful coin the US has ever produced (with the half-dollar's reverse as the most beautiful design on any US coin under a dollar).
    Mind you, I was looking online, and the Maple Coin is pretty sweet-looking. Simplistic. Not the gold, I much prefer silver in most things...
    Spoiler
    Show

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Can I capitalize your name?
    2) Why?
    3) You see a tiny fish on the ground. It's still alive, helplessly flopping around. What do you do?
    4) Iced coffee?
    5) White gold, rose-colored gold, or normal gold?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

I am contractually obligated to do this, I am afraid.

ARGUSKOS! What is best in life?!
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-04-11 at 10:05 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Mind you, I was looking online, and the Maple Coin is pretty sweet-looking. Simplistic. Not the gold, I much prefer silver in most things...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice, but also non-American, which is all I really actively look for.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    1) Can I capitalize your name?
    Please don't.

2) Why?
    I view it as a sign of respect to not capitalize someone's username unless it is already capitalized or they expressly state that it's ok. Just about respect.

For example, I wouldn't refer to Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll as "gwyn" or "chan". I'd either use the full username, or shorten it to "Gwyn" (a clear first name, as the space indicates). I'd refer to you as bluewind95 or just bluewind, if you were ok with that. Similarly, if I meet a guy named William, and he doesn't give any other form of address, I'm not calling him Bill, I'm calling him William.

3) You see a tiny fish on the ground. It's still alive, helplessly flopping around. What do you do?
    If there's water nearby, I'll scoop the poor guy up and place him in said water. If there isn't... uh... I'll probably move him out of the path of people, but there's not a lot I can do for him at that point.

4) Iced coffee?
    Nah. Not a big coffee drinker (yeah, I know, I miss out on all of the major vices of adulthood, coffee, alcohol, and tobacco [I don't smoke]; I'm boring).

5) White gold, rose-colored gold, or normal gold?
    I like classic gold. White gold makes me think of silver and of platinum, and rose-colored gold makes me think of bronze and copper. Not to say white gold and rose gold aren't pretty, just that I like classic gold more. Saw a lot of it in Dubai, let me tell you what.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    I am contractually obligated to do this, I am afraid.

ARGUSKOS! What is best in life?!

2. TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, DRIVE THEM BEFORE YOU, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THEIR WOMEN!

An acceptable answer would also be "SHUT THE **** UP!", but only if you're Bill Paxton.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-04-11 at 10:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Doubleposts are bad, but re-answering something is good.
    13. Have you ever made up a word? If so, what is that word and what is its definition?
    This question by ghost_warlock is a good one, and I answered it poorly. In fact, so poorly, that I forgot I had a real answer, which a friend has reminded me of. The real answer is "Yes. Murderize. The meaning should be clear."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Which Pokemon is your favourite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Which Pokemon is your favourite?
    That's a tough decision. However, since I flat refuse to acknowledge the existence of the games past LeafGreen (and I didn't acknowledge Ruby or Sapphire), I've only got 252 to pick from. I'll list a few:
    -Magneton (my god I love Magneton, I just wish he had a slightly deeper move pool, and by "slightly deeper" I mean "I wish he wasn't good for exactly ONE role").
    -Starmie (BOLTBEAMING HUZZAH)
    -Forretress (a giant steel pinecone, what's not to love?)
    -Charizard (he was always my favorite starter, and was my first one, so I've got a soft spot for him)
    -Pupitar (yes that's right, not Tyranitar; I like the larva guy and think he's kinda cute)
    -Scyther (he's just awesome looking)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's a tough decision. However, since I flat refuse to acknowledge the existence of the games past LeafGreen (and I didn't acknowledge Ruby or Sapphire), I've only got 252 to pick from. I'll list a few:
    -Magneton (my god I love Magneton, I just wish he had a slightly deeper move pool, and by "slightly deeper" I mean "I wish he wasn't good for exactly ONE role").
    -Starmie (BOLTBEAMING HUZZAH)
    -Forretress (a giant steel pinecone, what's not to love?)
    -Charizard (he was always my favorite starter, and was my first one, so I've got a soft spot for him)
    -Pupitar (yes that's right, not Tyranitar; I like the larva guy and think he's kinda cute)
    -Scyther (he's just awesome looking)
    Spoilers

Spoiler
    Show

Magnezone

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Spoilers

Spoiler
    Show

Magnezone
    1. Already knew that. I use Bulbapedia and Smogon frequently.

2. Uuuuuuuuuugly. Hate it. Magneton is so much sexier.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-04-11 at 10:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

1. Already knew that. I use Bulbapedia and Smogon frequently.
    Wait. Then you like Scyther over Scizor, why?

2. Uuuuuuuuuugly. Hate it. Magneton is so much sexier.
    True enough.

Why wont you acknowledge Heart Gold and Soul Silver? (Yes, I must make everything about Pokemon.)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Wait. Then you like Scyther over Scizor, why?
    He's better looking. Oh yes, mechanically, Scizor is better, but I like Scyther more.

Why wont you acknowledge Heart Gold and Soul Silver? (Yes, I must make everything about Pokemon.)
    I do, but I don't own a DS nor will I buy one for a single game. I don't have that kind of disposable income laying around. >_>

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I do, but I don't own a DS nor will I buy one for a single game. I don't have that kind of disposable income laying around. >_>
    Entirely understandable. I guess a better question would be do you have a DS. No?

Will you incorporate Scyther into Z-R? For me? Please?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Entirely understandable. I guess a better question would be do you have a DS. No?
    I already said I don't own one. Will you give me one? That'd be great, thanks.

Will you incorporate Scyther into Z-R? For me? Please?
    Well, 3.5 already kinda did. It's called the Vivisector, found in MM5. I even have an avatar of it!

But, if that's insufficient, I might. I've been considering converting a handful of Pokémanssss to 3.5 anyways.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-04-11 at 10:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I already said I don't own one. Will you give me one? That'd be great, thanks.
    I meant it would'v e been good to ask you earlier. And no. Im afraid I cant.

Well, 3.5 already kinda did. It's called the Vivisector, found in MM5. I even have an avatar of it!
    Will you incorporate it?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I meant it would'v e been good to ask you earlier. And no. Im afraid I cant.

Will you incorporate it?
    Eh. Probably? I do like me some Vivisectors.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well now you're making me feel bad.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh. Probably? I do like me some Vivisectors.
    If you lived a little closer, I'd be happy to lend you one. I happen to have a spare. DS or vivisector.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-04-12 at 11:51 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    If you lived a little closer, I'd be happy to lend you one. I happen to have a spare. DS or vivisector.
    Man, I'd take both. Also, I don't know where you live. We may be nearby (though, statistics suggest we aren't).