New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Any Rules-Heavy Systems Focusing on Tactics?

Right now, I'm looking for a deep, rules-heavy RPG system focusing on tactical combat with lots of character creation options and deeply strategic game-play for a mixed tech-level gladiator game I plan to run. Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Any Rules-Heavy Systems Focusing on Tactics?

Uh. GURPS. It's the most rules heavy game I've played. It does mixed tech. I'm not sure it's as strategic as you'd like, but that can probably be handled with optional rules.
    Last edited by valadil; 2011-04-07 at 09:04 PM.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Burning Wheel or Riddle of Steel would both work. Of these, Burning Wheel is probably the better system, with the Fight! combat system being of incredibly high quality. It has a feel much closer to actual combat than D&D, and even a simple 1 on 1 duel involves heavy tactics.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd second GURPS... it's overwhelming at first as a GM, and oddly simple to play (if you have character templates set up), but when you get down to it, it can get rather tactical.

Targeting and wounding limbs is built into the core, for example. There's good reason to go into defensive (When you get hurt, you're off balance and probably won't hit them until you regain stance. If you're opponent has a gun, you'll want a wall between you and him.) You never have to "just attack"... though doing so is a viable option.

Typical action: You could All-Out Attack (double) with the first being a sweeping blow and the second targeting their sword arm so that they're on the ground and can't get up. That way your All-Out Attack effect of having no defense doesn't kick you in the nads... unless you miss. All you need is a few points into the Axe skill and enough strength to use a greataxe.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Seconding Burning Wheel, although with the warning that your players will definitely need to familiarize themselves heavily with the system beforehand. It doesn't have "character sheets", so much as "8-page character pamphlets".

Character "Sheet" from the Burning Wiki.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolemaster/H.A.R.P. is pretty rules-heavy, and lends itself well to tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Uh. GURPS. It's the most rules heavy game I've played. It does mixed tech. I'm not sure it's as strategic as you'd like, but that can probably be handled with optional rules.
    I don't very much like GURPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Burning Wheel or Riddle of Steel would both work. Of these, Burning Wheel is probably the better system, with the Fight! combat system being of incredibly high quality. It has a feel much closer to actual combat than D&D, and even a simple 1 on 1 duel involves heavy tactics.
    Sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaervaslol View Post
    Hmmmm... I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Rolemaster/H.A.R.P. is pretty rules-heavy, and lends itself well to tactics.
    Okay. Also sounds good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

GURPS. A rules system with optional rules and expansions by the oil tanker load, including combat rules, can handle mixed tech and has so many character creation options, it's a job to strip out the ones that don't apply to the campaign. It's a perfect match to the requirements you gave. You're gonna have to explain what you don't like about GURPS so others can match a system to what you really want.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Second for Rolemaster.

It's insane, absolutely insane, with the charts. And will drive someone with a PHD in advanced mathematics up a tree. But all said, it's not a bad system at all. You'd be well advised, though, to have a co-DM on hand just to handle flipping through charts and finding out all cross references while you are busy actually running things.

Believe it or not, HMB (new Hackmaster game) is pretty decent for tactics. You have to know what you're doing and how to position yourself, or you'll die a horrible death as somebody rips out your spleen and feeds it to you. It's not terribly rules heavy at this point, though. Give it another year.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Take a look at the basics of Burning Wheel combat. Then realize that this doesn't even include the interactions between scripted action, which is handled with the Fight! matrix. Note that that links to a download page, which means you have to find the Fight Grid Explicit entry.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.