A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad

Thread: Star Wars d6

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Star Wars d6

I'm wondering, before I go through all the trouble of making a campaign for this, is there anyone here who has the original West End Games 2nd Edition Star Wars Role Playing Game, the d6 one? I'd give a link to the wiki and some sites with some rules form the game for people who don't but...well...
    I'm not very satisfied with those sites. A lot of the stuff in them is OP homebrew or missing data.
    So I'm wondering if anyone has it. All you need is the main rule book. I have the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, and a mission book, and I'm thinking up a campaign for it, and a sort of free for all game.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Star Wars d6

I've got the rulebook somewhere, along with the first edition book as well. I've also got a .txt file of rules adjustments I made to try and make the game...well...better. Still, I do like the system. I'm just a tinkerer is all, and saw a few things that needed adjusting (mostly involving the Force, naturally), and one thing led to another, and I ended up with a much larger file of house rules than I'd intended. Kind of...rewrote every power in the book.

Oh well. I can ignore all that and go with a nice, fresh, core rules game. Haven't actually played a 2nd Edition game of Star Wars since...I think it was 2001. And that may have been D20, come to think of it. Regardless, count me in.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the force rules do need expanding. It gets annoying when every last player decides to play a force sensitive guy and then just gives him a light repeating blaster and uses the force to just dodge and heal everything.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

You can get the D6 Space (and the other OGL D6 stuff) at this link. I recommend using Mini Six. It has a sample setting that is Star Wars with the names changed so you can see how to use the system for Star Wars. It also fixes a lot of the problems from the old rules (like the "blaster-proof wookiee" or the "knife does more damage than a gun" problems).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I coulda sworn I picked up Mini Six somewhere, but I never really took a look at it. I'll get on that tonight and see how it fares against my nitpicking.

Edit: Decided I didn't need to go on about stuff I've done to the game. Just needed to say I've got it and I'm interested. Heh. It's true.
    Last edited by Nintaku; 2011-04-11 at 05:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I love Star Wars d6, especially 2e R&E. I buy spare copies of it whenever I can.

FWIW, however, you might get the free download of d6 Space. It is built on the same "backbone" of SWD6, but it's a somewhat more "evolved" rules system, with advantages, disadvantages, a point-buy option (I still prefer the traditional "distributed dice" approach, but being able to purchase advantages and disadvantages is very nice), and a HP option that works, without making Wookies into gods (short version: You get HP equal to 20 + a die roll of your Stamina skill. High-strength characters obviously have much better average HP totals. Damage reduction is based on armor).

A friend found copies of d6 Space and got them for our group. While I'm a big fan of 2e R&E, and having that book was helpful, d6 Space is a great resource.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I took a closer look at Mini Six last night, and it's pretty incredible. They streamlined the D6 engine from the OGL games (Space and Fantasy), cutting the whole thing down. It's really clear and simple, too, though it has some holdovers I didn't really like (such as the damage system), and some things could be simplified further (weapons and armor, for instance).

But yeah, this could easily be used to whip up D6 Star Wars characters in minutes, and I'm pretty sure we could do good things with the Force, too. Like making it an attribute with the three Force skills under it. *nods*

Or we could go with D6 Space or flat out Star Wars 2R&E. Mini Six just renewed my excitement for D6 gaming. Again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I haven't looked at Mini6 at all, and probably should, since I'm such a d6 fanboy. As for making a character...

Human Bounty Hunter

4d6 Dex
    4d6 Strength
    2d6+1 Knowledge
    2d6+1 Mechanical
    3d6 Perception
    2d6+1 Technical

Add 2d6 apiece for Blaster, Dodge, and Melee. Last 1d6 goes on Con.

He has an armor vest (+1 to physical resistance), a heavy blaster (5d6 damage), and 500 credits. Two minutes, and that includes two questions from customers and answering a phone call.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I like me some Star Wars D6, and as Mark says the generic D6 supplement is mighty interesting, but no time for another play-by-post, sadly.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    I'm wondering, before I go through all the trouble of making a campaign for this, is there anyone here who has the original West End Games 2nd Edition Star Wars Role Playing Game, the d6 one? I'd give a link to the wiki and some sites with some rules form the game for people who don't but...well...
    I'm not very satisfied with those sites. A lot of the stuff in them is OP homebrew or missing data.
    So I'm wondering if anyone has it. All you need is the main rule book. I have the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, and a mission book, and I'm thinking up a campaign for it, and a sort of free for all game.
    I think I've got just about everything printed for this one...
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I have fond memories of my SWD6 Jedi taking on Scout Walkers single handed. This was while the bounty hunter was using magnetic boots to stand on the pilot guy's Z-95 Headhunter as they went zooming down canyons shooting down TiE Fighters. The two of them shooting them down, thanks in part to the scale rules.

Happy days

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really like d6 space's wound system, but I've worked one out for my at-home group that works for realistic reactions to Star Wars weaponry without making everyone die the first time their leg gets scraped by a blaster bolt.

(Recaiden) He lives!