New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Playtest Services, ho! Homebrew Playtest Services GO!

Monkly monk the monkish monkening! (Has a monk fix in sig.)
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Gotta jet in a minute to catch the bus to school, but I got one NPC ready, as in the cohort to a boss villain. He's named Wounded Elbow because one of his lower arms was chopped off and later replaced with a ghostly arm with a shield.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve Feats: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149358
    Reserve Mage: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147086
    Gesturecaster: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181071

Wounded Elbow
    Human Gesturecaster 3/Reserve Mage 3
    Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice 6d4 (23 hp)
    Initiative +9
    Speed 30 ft
    Armour Class 17 (+5 Dex, +2 shield), touch 15, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +2/+2
    Attack
    Full Attack
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks Spells
    Special Qualities --
    Saves Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +2
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 8
    Skills Concentration +9, Spellcraft +10
    Feats Bee Swarm, Blinding Spittle, Corpsewalk, Deafening Roar, Improved Initiative, Numbing Ray, Scorching Illumination, Shimmering Armor (+3), Smoulder, Telekinetic Disarm (25 ft)
    Treasure gloves of Dexterity +2, slippers of water walking, ghostly shieldarm

Spell list: irrelevant, since he focuses on reserve feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    May I recommend War-Marked for rolling small NPC foes?
    Could you provide a link? I might have it somewhere in my favourites, but considering how HUGE that folder is and it might not even be there, I always would like a link.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-04-12 at 03:45 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

I made a rogue variant named passer, that didn`t get any feedback. It is a rogue designed to move through walls, and while it is less able to deal with traps then the regular rogue, I can`t estimate how good passing through solid matter can be out of combat. I haven`t determined how much damage he will do to someone if he will pull him into a wall, but I guess 1d6 per 5 feet is ok.

I also made a very specific prestige class based on using emotion drugs. Besides the last level ability, knowing about the emotion drugs isn`t neccesery. The emotional nercomancer.

There is a base class I partly built, that I hesistated to publish becuse fear of lack of feedback. It`s called construct rider. The riders bind part of their motoric abilities into a special type of construct, and can control it and their body at the same time. If you`re intrested, I could work some more and publish it. The construct can be of any shape. I also thought about the idea to make it as a series of feats instead of a class.
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Gotta jet in a minute to catch the bus to school, but I got one NPC ready, as in the cohort to a boss villain. He's named Wounded Elbow because one of his lower arms was chopped off and later replaced with a ghostly arm with a shield.

Spoiler
    Show

Wounded Elbow
    Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice 6d4 (23 hp)
    Initiative +9
    Speed 30 ft
    Attack
    Full Attack
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks Spells
    Special Qualities --
    Feats Bee Swarm, Blinding Spittle, Corpsewalk, Deafening Roar, Improved Initiative, Numbing Ray, Scorching Illumination, Shimmering Armor (+3), Smoulder, Telekinetic Disarm (25 ft)

Just thought I should make it clear that the Base Class Gesturecaster is even more overpowered than the Wizard, and the one I wasn't sure about was the PrC, which is now in the first post. You can use the base if you want, just wanted that clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Well, Shen and Mordekaiser are there at least, if that changes anything.
    Ahh, I had forgotten what Shen's title was. I knew you had Mordekaiser. Sadly, none of the players would qualify for either without three more levels of rogue/ninja or a reincarnate. I'm guessing the project is currently dead though?

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Monkly monk the monkish monkening! (Has a monk fix in sig.)
    MONK! Monkmonk monk monkamonkiemonk! Monnnn~k~

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    I made a rogue variant named passer, that didn`t get any feedback. It is a rogue designed to move through walls, and while it is less able to deal with traps then the regular rogue, I can`t estimate how good passing through solid matter can be out of combat. I haven`t determined how much damage he will do to someone if he will pull him into a wall, but I guess 1d6 per 5 feet is ok.

I also made a very specific prestige class based on using emotion drugs. Besides the last level ability, knowing about the emotion drugs isn`t neccesery. The emotional nercomancer.

There is a base class I partly built, that I hesistated to publish becuse fear of lack of feedback. It`s called construct rider. The riders bind part of their motoric abilities into a special type of construct, and can control it and their body at the same time. If you`re intrested, I could work some more and publish it. The construct can be of any shape. I also thought about the idea to make it as a series of feats instead of a class.
    I could try out the passer, but I have to ask: is the limit per day, or just the distance he can move through something at any one time? If the latter - it's already way strong, making the rogue practically incorporeal half the time. All the special abilities are cool though. I could use it later on in the mid levels. Though if this service picks up you're probably going to have to remind me later. =X

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    Just thought I should make it clear that the Base Class Gesturecaster is even more overpowered than the Wizard, and the one I wasn't sure about was the PrC, which is now in the first post. You can use the base if you want, just wanted that clear.
    Ahh, I hadn't read beyond the contents of the spoiler, figuring it was all in there. My bad. Still, with the level it'll be at due to the PrCs, he won't be able to cast beyond level 3 spells, so I might still be able to judge the power of the PrC indirectly.

6. - Top - End - #36

I could try out the passer, but I have to ask: is the limit per day, or just the distance he can move through something at any one time?
    At once.

If the latter - it's already way strong, making the rogue practically incorporeal half the time.
    Mmmm... What if I would double the distances, but it would be that distance per day?

All the special abilities are cool though.
    I`m glad you liked them
    Last edited by akma; 2011-04-12 at 01:10 PM.
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Wounded Elbow
    Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice 6d4 (23 hp)
    Initiative +9
    Speed 30 ft
    Attack
    Full Attack
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks Spells
    Special Qualities --

Could you provide a link? I might have it somewhere in my favourites, but considering how HUGE that folder is and it might not even be there, I always would like a link.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190893
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, I didn't read the original post thoroughly. Okay, so if you were interested in playtesting The Swordsaint a bit, you'd be playing it as an NPC, and perhaps a "boss" encounter.

So, let's look at 4th level, 6th level, and 8th level.

Swordsaints of all levels value Wisdom above all, and probably Charisma second, but Constitution certainly competes.

Using dice or cards to track granted spells is recommended as recovering/readying a Swordsaint's spells is always done randomly.

Key Skills (in order of importance): Concentration, Balance, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, and Spellcraft.

Special Note (Psionics): Races that begin play with 1 Power Point are of special interest, in that they can gain Psionic Focus using Concentration, and are able to take cool [Psionic] feats like Psionic Weapon and Deep Impact.

4th Level
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 4th level, a Swordsaint still only knows 1st level spells, but he is able to Channel them to grand effect and he has just gotten his Saintly Resolve which will aid him in absorbing damage. At this level, a well trained Riding Dog or Heavy Warhorse can be an invaluable asset.

Recommended spells known: Beastland Ferocity, Cure Light Wounds, Ebon Eyes, Improvisation, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Shocking Grasp.

Recommended feats: Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Improved Toughness, Karmic Strike, Leap Attack, Stand Still, Expanded Channeling*, Imbued Resolve*, or Unbreakable Spirit*.

Special Note: Unlike the Duskblade, Metamagic and Reserve feats, do not work for the Swordsaint. Because the Swordsaint doesn't use spell slots, these feats, as well as any others that modify or use spell slots (Arcane Strike for example) simply do nothing for the Swordsaint. He does benefit from the increase to caster level granted by Reserve feats.

6th Level
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 6th level, not only have we gained the ability to cast 2nd level spells, but we have our first Quick Cast/day. Now we are really getting into the meat and potatoes. We know 8 spells, and because of our spell-swap mechanics, up to three of these can be 2nd level. We have another spell granted to us now, but for our lovely power upgrade we pay in increased randomness.

Recommended Spells Known: 1st - Beastland Ferocity, Ebon Eyes, Improvisation, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Shocking Grasp. 2nd - Cure Moderate Wounds, Electric Vengeance, Knight's Move.

Special Notes: Recoverable Cure Moderate Wounds combined with Quick Cast is very, very helpful. Electric Vengeance keeps his damage output going even when it isn't his turn. Knight's Move is useful for combat positioning, but also invaluable for escaping grapples and battlefield control such as Entangle, Black Tentacles, or Solid Fog.

With the Expanded Channeling feat Mindless Rage is also very useful.

With the Extra Quickening feat buffs like Flame of Faith and Strength of Stone can be exceptionally good. Extra Quickening can also be used for nifty battlefield control via Sleet Storm.

Recommended Feats Known: As above, but including Elusive Target, Shock Trooper, and Extra Quickening*.

8th Level
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 8th level, we're still one level away from 3rd level spells, so 2nd level ones will have to do, however, because of our spell-swap mechanics, out of a total of 10 spells known, up to 6 of these can be 2nd level. Nice. We also have an extra spell granted, as well as the nifty Passionate Smite feature, and our Saintly Resolve has improved once more.

Recommended Spells Known: 1st - Beastland Ferocity, Ebon Eyes, Improvisation, and Shocking Grasp. 2nd - Cure Moderate Wounds, Electric Vengeance, Knight's Move, Scorching Ray, Seeking Ray, and Swift Fly.

Recommended Feats Known: As above (nothing new really opens up at 8th level).

Special Notes: With Saintly Resolve 10 and the Unbreakable Spirit feat a Swordsaint is able to get a lot more mileage out of his total hit points. He is also able to dish out quite a lot of hurt per attack with his offensive spells and Spell Channeling. With Passionate Smite, a villain can really smack down PCs that are very likely to have alignments opposed to his own.

*These feats are found in the Swordsaint thread, in the second post.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2011-04-12 at 10:48 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Wounded Elbow
    Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice 6d4 (23 hp)
    Initiative +9
    Speed 30 ft
    Attack
    Full Attack
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks Spells
    Special Qualities --

Several thoughts.

1. His spell list is INCREDIBLY relevant. Reserve feats aren't very defensive, and at level 6, he has basically no life and no AC. His spells need to keep him active long enough to matter (even with Shimmering Armor). And, given that he has all sorts of caster level buffs across the board, you can really lay down some hurt on people with a few cleverly chosen effects.

2. His reserve selection isn't the best. He's doubling up on effects, which is pretty bad. Considering losing Blinding Spittle for Skinscorch. Also considering losing Smoulder for Cuts Inside The Mind. That should increase your combat effectiveness a great deal. I'd also suggest working Vanishing Act in there somehow, it's an amazingly useful effect.

3. Otherwise, it looks good. Don't forget, he always has a 4th level spell available for all his Reserve Feats, and Reserve Fuse is active, letting him double up every turn. If you give him some people to screen for him, or he's attacking from improved invisibility or whatnot, he should be quite effective.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-04-12 at 04:01 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you have a crafter in the party, could s/he try out my prestige class idea?
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Sorry, I didn't read the original post thoroughly. Okay, so if you were interested in playtesting The Swordsaint a bit, you'd be playing it as an NPC, and perhaps a "boss" encounter.
    Awesome! I'm incredibly greatful for your breakdown on your class. I'll be sure to use him. I got my lineup ready for the next session (now on Friday as we're going to the Elf Fantasy Fair on Sunday), but there is always the one after that.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Several thoughts.

1. His spell list is INCREDIBLY relevant. Reserve feats aren't very defensive, and at level 6, he has basically no life and no AC. His spells need to keep him active long enough to matter (even with Shimmering Armor). And, given that he has all sorts of caster level buffs across the board, you can really lay down some hurt on people with a few cleverly chosen effects.
    Hmmm, true, especially since he can't wear armour. Throwing in Mage Armor at least would be a good idea. The Reserve Feats will probably remain his only offense for now, with the party being level 3 (+1).

2. His reserve selection isn't the best. He's doubling up on effects, which is pretty bad. Considering losing Blinding Spittle for Skinscorch. Also considering losing Smoulder for Cuts Inside The Mind. That should increase your combat effectiveness a great deal. I'd also suggest working Vanishing Act in there somehow, it's an amazingly useful effect.
    Admittably I just picked a few random ones that seemed to just beg me for testing. Cuts Inside the Mind, due to its introduction of "temporary damage" isn't something I'm willing to use however, but I could replace the Deafening one for Skinscorch.

3. Otherwise, it looks good. Don't forget, he always has a 4th level spell available for all his Reserve Feats, and Reserve Fuse is active, letting him double up every turn. If you give him some people to screen for him, or he's attacking from improved invisibility or whatnot, he should be quite effective.
    Ahh, I guess I misread some parts of the Reserve Mage then. I thought he only had a 4th level slot available for selecting Reserve Feats and not using them.

Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    If you have a crafter in the party, could s/he try out my prestige class idea?
    No crafters, sadly. I suppose the easiest parts to playtest are combat or skill parts, since those come up most often with NPCs.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, it's not really character building material, but I'd love to hear what a player would think if he was infected with one of my nastier diseases. A lot of them should work in non-planar contexts.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, it's not really character building material, but I'd love to hear what a player would think if he was infected with one of my nastier diseases. A lot of them should work in non-planar contexts.
    Oohhh.

Anyhoo, got a Caliban Ascetic semi-ready. Still need the style done with and feats. I can change it up later to test multiple styles, so that's not a big problem, but I've never build a monk before (half my players have though), so suggestions are welcome (for any/all of the styles).

Spoiler
    Show
    Caliban: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...23&postcount=1
    Ascetic: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193791

Gronwë
    Medium Humanoid (human, extraplanar)
    Hit Dice 4d8+20 (38 hp)
    Initiative +2
    Speed 40 ft
    Armour Class 20 (+2 Dex, +8 deflection), touch 20, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +4/+6
    Attack +6 unarmed strike (1d10+2)
    Full Attack +6 unarmed strike (1d10+2)
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks evasion
    Special Qualities
    Saves Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +2
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills
    Feats
    Treasure hat of disguise to look beautiful and human, ascetic’s belt which is like a monk’s belt but Con-based

Flurry of Blows: When attacking with unarmed strikes or with Ascetic melee weapons, the Ascetic can make an additional attack at her highest attack bonus as part of a standard or full attack action. This extra granted attack stacks with haste and other, similar effects.

Wholeness of Body: Swift action, heal up to 20 hp per day. By expending a point of nen as a swift action, the Ascetic may refill a number of points to this pool of healing equal to her class level.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

Oohhh.

Yes

Just once I want to see a character's face when he visits a cleric who tells him "I don't know what kind of brothels you visit, but you have Ooze Fever. Over the next three days, your flesh will liquefy and your bones will turn into gelatin."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Just re-asking here:
    What was confusing about the wording for my Druid ACF? Maybe I can clarify, and also fix the problems on the thread for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yes

Just once I want to see a character's face when he visits a cleric who tells him "I don't know what kind of brothels you visit, but you have Ooze Fever. Over the next three days, your flesh will liquefy and your bones will turn into gelatin."
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2011-04-13 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, if you're offering... I wouldn't mind finding out how my Beast Warrior class and my Cheshire do in real play. If you've got a story they might fit in.

I haven't had an actually group to game with in a looong time, so I haven't had a chance to test them myself.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    Just re-asking here:
    What was confusing about the wording for my Druid ACF? Maybe I can clarify, and also fix the problems on the thread for it.
    Eh, mighta been the state of mind I was in while reading it first, but I guess it was just how I would use it in general. If it is clear for others, you don't have to clarify for me, since I'd be unlikely to use it as the players have decided to go venturing in/near a desert.

Anyhoo, the other two monks be ready:

Argus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arguskos’ Monk: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192781

Argus the Totally Blind Monk
    Halfling Monk 4
    Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice 4d8+4 (36 hp)
    Initiative +8
    Speed 30 ft
    Armour Class 19 (+1 dodge, +4 Dex, +3 armor, +1 size), touch 16, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +4/+2
    Attack +6 unarmed strike (1d8+2)
    Full Attack +6 unarmed strike (1d8+2)
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Saves Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +3
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills Climb +10, Iaijutsu Focus +6, Jump +10, Tumble +11
    Feats Cleave, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Power Attack
    Treasure wand of shrink person (10 charges), wand of enlarge person (3 charges), bracers of armor +3, totally fake blindfold

Flowing Strike (Ex): The most basic of the techniques of the Unending Road, the technique of the flowing strike is what gives monks their reputation as agile, leaping combatants. Monks add their class level as a circumstance bonus to melee attack and damage rolls made after moving at least 10 ft in a round.

Agile Combatant (Ex): Monks are supple and know how to use the environment to their advantage. They may ignore movement penalties from terrain.

Wall Jump: As a full-round action, the monk may attempt to make a chain of Athletics checks to scale a walled area very rapidly. This can only be done if at least two walls exist to jump between. The monk makes an Athletics check for climbing to begin the attempt. Once the monk is at least 10 ft off the ground, he may make an Athletics check to jump to a nearby wall, then rapidly jump off of it back to the original wall, and continue in this fashion (making an Athletics check each time) until he is out of walls to use in this fashion. If the monk fails a jumping check, he can make a final Athletics check to cling to the wall (ending the attempt; this check is as per the check to climb the surface normally, but at an additional -10 for the momentum of jumping back and forth rapidly). If he fails the recovery, he falls the full distance and his action is wasted.

Tumbling Defense: Once/encounter, the monk may attempt an Acrobatics check as an immediate action when attacked. The check is rolled, and the result functions as the monk's AC against that attack, for better or worse.

Comments: he is meant to take Spring Attack as his next feat so that in combo with Cleave he can jump in, drop some guys and move out again.

A'traps
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jiriku’s Monk: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122

Pylon A’traps
    Changeling Monk 4
    Medium Humanoid
    Hit Dice 4d8+4 (36 hp)
    Initiative +7
    Speed 40 ft
    Armour Class 18 (+3 Dex, +4 Wis, +1 deflection), touch 18, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+6
    Attack +11 unarmed strike (1d8+8) or +6 greatsword (1d10+3)
    Full Attack +11 unarmed strike (1d8+8) or +6 greatsword (1d10+3)
    Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks trapfinding
    Special Qualities evasion
    Saves Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +8
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 10
    Skills Balance +20, Disable Device +6, Disguise +3, Jump +20, Open Lock +6, Tumble +20
    Feats Improved Initiative
    Treasure +1 versatile brilliant energy adamantine greatsword, periapt of glibness (1/day immediate action)

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy when performing an attack or a full attack action, or as part of a charge. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus columns on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

Comments: have yet to pick more feats for him.

The NPCs might have up to two extra feats than usual, which would be due to Flaws, but since Flaws are always picked to be things that don't come up, I haven't listed them.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-04-28 at 04:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to see some more data on both the Omnimancer base class, and Commisar prc, both in my sig. If you want individuals stated up I can do that.

Notes for commisar - I had absolutely no class at all in mind when I designed the class, except I didn't really want barbarians doing it (they have their own cool intimidate tricks). Fighter, paladin, and rogue I guess are the primary audience, but anything with intimidate as a class skill is more than welcome (even evil barbarians). They are absolute team players, they need someone to bully or the class features mean very little.

Notes for omnimancer - from my own playtesting I can say that spell/power choice is absolutely critical. Very few spell slots of very low levels, you need to prepare non-damage, and hammer weak saves to have any chance of effects sticking. Psionics is your damage source, along with invocations (for when you are saving pp/don't have a relevant spell). Bottom line is that the class is very good at solving noncombat problems, and must be very careful in combat.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I bring a request. I recently converted the Vryloka from 4e to 3.5e. Care to playtest it?

Also, how did the monks/Caliban encounter go?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Also, how did the monks/Caliban encounter go?
    I'm working out the journal entry for the third session (though we've also had a fourth since then which wasn't planned until the last minute) and at the same time I will write up my thoughts on the 'brew I used. I'll need to go over the classes again though, because for some reason the guy using jiriku's monk class turned out to be crazy strong.

I have to say though, the Caliban race is a nifty one and I'll have that NPC return later prolly, due to the players not yet knowing she is a Caliban.

21. - Top - End - #51

If you still have room, I'd like to see how some of my homebrew fares. My complete list is here, but I'm particularly interested in seeing how my spell-less Paladin and Ranger variants work, and how the meta discipline works in practice (GitP mirror). If anything suits your fancy or looks interesting, PM me and I'll be happy to draw up a simple build for you to use.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I would like to request for you to try the Dragonflame Dancer, in my signature.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

That seem like a fantastic idea, I have a few thing I wouldn't mind being tested.

My Metainitiation feat could use some testing. They can be use by any martial adept.

The War Summoner could be a nice foe. Minimum entry is wizard 5 / marshal 2 but it make more sense as a sorcerer 6 / marshal 2. Plus the first unique ability (coordinated strike) is at level 2 so that's a minimum ECL/CR 10. So perhaps when they reach a higher level to make the test useful, otherwise it's just a multiclass sorcerer/marshal

The Tiny thief could make for a fun encounter. Minimum entry rogue 5 (or similar perhaps ninja for an invisible tiny thief ?) and it can be used right at ECL/CR 6

The Spirit manifester might be a spooky encounter. You need to be spirit shaman 5 for this class. Minimum ECL/CR 6.

The Vestige summoner is for higher level play (minimum binder 12 entry) but the vestige themselves could be used as monster the first few are supposed to be CR 11 but that was more a goal than a result. Perhaps as boss monster.

If you are looking for very special race my Lesser Silthilar make perfect made scientist experiment. (LA 0)

A few spell for gish martial adept. Perhaps to be used in conjuction with the metainitiation feat. (spell level 2 to 5 for sorcerer and wizard only)

Tell me if you find a use for any of them (or if some of my other homebrew interest you from my extend signature) any feedback is appreciate. And once agains I must say that it's a very good idea.
    Latest homebrew: The Avatars of Magic, powerful monster each dedicated to ne school of magic.

My homebrewer's Extended Signature
    My character :
    Spoiler
    Show

Mirar, Bizarre human Focused Conjurer/Master specialist (summoning specialist)
    Xilef, shifter Druid 8//Barbarian 5/Weretouched master 3
    Other Character.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, evaluations!

The Caliban race synergized really well with the Ascetic. Sadly no spells were cast on her, so there was no use of her SR. I also forgot to initiate some Intimidating, especially since one of the players loves to use Duel of Wills.

The Ascetic character turned out to be pretty good as a meat shield, due to a lot of HP from Con synergy and use of the Denying Hand Style. I imagine that a level 17 Denying Hand Ascetic would be hard to beat, unless you're a spellcaster. Infinite denial is helluva strong like that and I'd advise putting a limit on that. However, at level 4, she proved to be really useful and balanced (taking into account her ability modifiers had been incredibly tailored and not rolled or even point bought). Denying Hand Style gets a stamp of approval, save for its final ability.

A'traps, the character using Jiriku's monk fix, proved to be really powerful and almost had one-shotted the party necromancer had I not last-moment decided that he dealt slashing damage, thus allowing his DR to work. He continued to go on like this against the others and if he hadn't had his sword (which I had just given to him as a kind of lightsaber for my own in-joke pleasure due to Pylon A'traps being the name of my sole Star Wars tabletop character ever), then he probably could have killed the entire party on his own. All this simply due to Empty Strike. I think that perhaps it should be made into an attack boost only rather than attack and damage. That'd suit its purpose of offsetting the attack "penalty" for not being a full-BAB class just as well (which was your stated intention, Jiriku) and still keep the ability more balanced.

Argus the Blind Monk proved to be well-done as well. I prolly coulda done his feats better, but I was on a schedule there. I shoulda picked Rocks Fall for his Athletic stuff since they started combat by falling from above (and all of them missing their subsequent attacks), but Wall Jump helped for him to get away at the end. Tumbling Defense made sure he didn't get hit by one of the Warblade's maneuvers, which woulda been nasty otherwise. I also like how the Halfling choice turned out to work together nicely with the Athletic and Acrobatic stuff. Flowing Strike helped what would otherwise have been a lack of damage and hitting. Though at higher levels this would be stronger than the Empty Strike of Jiriku's monk, it matters less because you get the bonus only gradually and under more limiting circumstances. Plus, it helps that you get this instead of Flurry of Blows.

On that note, the difference between Gronwë and A'traps when using Flurry of Blows was clear partly of course from Empty Strike working on both strikes from A'traps' Flurry. However, the Ascetic doesn't get Flurry until level 2 and never gets a third attack, though there is no attack penalty. Looking at the Dance with the Elements of Jiriku's monk though, I presume he wanted to make his monk an almost-but-not-quite Tier 2 class.

Final Evaluation:
    • Denying Hand Ascetic: no word on the other Styles, but I deem this one balanced for Tier 3 play and potentially useful for meat shield builds.
    • Jiriku's monk: I deem this one too strong for my tastes, mostly due to the Empty Strike and especially how it combines with Flurry of Blows. This one seems balanced for Tier 2.5, so to speak.
    • Arguskos' monk: I liked how Halflings work well with it and how it rewards moving around and gives options for that. I have a feeling it might need more options to get it to Tier 3, but it'd definitely be at the top of Tier 4.
    • Calibans: a fun race to poke around with both fluff-wise and crunch-wise.

I didn't get to test the Reserve Mage because if I had used him there, the party would just have been oblitorated.

I'd love to test some more stuff in my upcoming sessions, but I've noticed that I'm lagging a bit behind on schoolwork and have got a lot of stuff upcoming, hence why I've also been searching for ready-made NPCs because I don't want to cancel our DnD sessions. For this reason, I will give priority to people who can provide a sample NPC for their class. (Because people know their classes better than anyone else, I presume they will therefore also be more able to pick the right skills and feats and such.)
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-04-28 at 04:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sample NPCs: What level?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I always wanted to try it out, but I haven't had the chance yet; COuld you try the following house rule: Fighters of at least 8th level can attack with their Full Attack as a standard action rather than a full round action?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamurai77 View Post
    First post says NPCs of level 3-8.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-26 at 05:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamurai77 View Post
    The PCs are now level 4, so level 5 would be best. Plus, if I want them to be higher level than that, I always have something to build from already, which helps a LOT.

I always wanted to try it out, but I haven't had the chance yet; COuld you try the following house rule: Fighters of at least 8th level can attack with their Full Attack as a standard action rather than a full round action?
    Note that house rules specifically are excluded from the first post. It's fine to suggest some though, as we can always use some refining to our game.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Note that house rules specifically are excluded from the first post. It's fine to suggest some though, as we can always use some refining to our game.
    Oh, I didn't realize that was done purposefully.

Do you want sample NPCs for races as well, or just the classes/prestige classes?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I didn't realize that was done purposefully.

Do you want sample NPCs for races as well, or just the classes/prestige classes?
    For races it isn't needed, but if they mesh really well with a particular homebrew class, then yes.

First post has also been updated to accomodate for my PCs leveling and my time becoming differently focused (damn, Wednesday already? Driving exam on Friday is coming ever closer...)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

(damn, Wednesday already? Driving exam on Friday is coming ever closer...)
    Good luck!