New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Good books for fluff

I've been running and playing D&D for some time, and came across "fief" a book on medieval society. It has been some time since I read it, but I felt it had RPGs in mind.

Are there other good books of fluff out there? System-undependant? Or good D&D/w.e. books that is interesting no matter the system? For example : if I'm ever to run anything Zombie, I'm inclined to do it in some system, but have the zombie survival guide dictate alott of the fluff!
    Last edited by PetterTomBos; 2011-04-11 at 01:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Good books for fluff

I'm reading "The Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England". It's a history book but it gives a whole lot of cultural expectation of medieval people that aren't obvious. Most history books end up going on and on about the kings and queens and neglect the general population.

There's not much in the way of blasty mages in it though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

As far as d&d books go AD&D 2e is the king of fluff. There are
    So many 2e books that have little to no numbers in them. They are great to pick through especially If you run in a published setting.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

1st edition Legend of the Five Rings. It's a fantasy game that reads like a fantasy novel. Even now, with fourth edition in print, people still get directed to the Way of the Clans books for the definitive writings on the various factions of the game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I've found that the Planescape Monstrous Compendia are awesome for monster fluff. Actually, any Planescape book is awesome for fluff, but a lot of them are quite specific for a non-planar game.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

If you want 3e/3.5e, I've found Arcana Unearthed to have some awesome fulff. Also, some selected Mongoose books have good fluff. The Slayer's Guide to ... is a pretty good series of fluff books.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I like both the 3rd and 4th Edition Manual of the Planes. I don't even know the rules of 4th Edition, but the MotP is a great book to read.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    If you want 3e/3.5e, I've found Arcana Unearthed to have some awesome fulff. Also, some selected Mongoose books have good fluff. The Slayer's Guide to ... is a pretty good series of fluff books.
    The slayers guide to... line seems awesome :)

"The Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England".
    Sounds terrific :)

Iit's when shopping for gaming supplies (and jelly belly beans! :D) I really would wish to be american.. (Might turn to means that require a boat and eyepatches tho ;) )

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You could try A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court. It's a bit hard to read in the original Twain, but there's several young readers translations that have pretty much everything. There's also Dumas, which is a great way to practice hiding plot points. (For example, read The Count of Monte Cristo without annotations and see how long it takes you to figure out one of the characters is a lesbian.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I really liked the fluff from the AFMBE books, even if I found the system to be subpar.

Good fluff kind of depends on what sort of game you want to play. Captain Blood, isn't going to help much if you're not doing a pirate themed game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Exalted books are pretty good and expansive on the fluff, I'd say, and most of the books contain some very short comic book style sections which are perfect for giving off the feeling and 'air' of the setting.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-04-12 at 04:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    The Slayer's Guide to ... is a pretty good series of fluff books.
    Oh, hez yeah they are! I've got practically the whole collection, even Sahuagin and Minotaurs. Personal recommendations for the Slayer's Guide to Undead and the Slayer's Guide to Dragons, both written by the late, great Gary Gygax.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    As far as d&d books go AD&D 2e is the king of fluff. There are
    So many 2e books that have little to no numbers in them. They are great to pick through especially If you run in a published setting.
    I'm a huge fan of the 2e Monstrous Manual. It really makes each monster feel like an actual creature with a real place in the world, not just a bag of XP.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fiendish Codex 2 has some great stuff on the creation for Devils in 3E.

Another great game for fluff is Dogs in the Vineyard. And I've been told by my GM, Apocalypse World. AW is a little NSFW. Seriously... avoid children.
    I am a Cleric Druid Warlock Ranger Wizard Psion Bard.... and my DM is evil.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Oh, hez yeah they are! I've got practically the whole collection, even Sahuagin and Minotaurs. Personal recommendations for the Slayer's Guide to Undead and the Slayer's Guide to Dragons, both written by the late, great Gary Gygax.
    My personal favorite is The Slayer's Guide to DMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

16. - Top - End - #16

NinjaGuy

Warhammer both classic and 40k.

My Orcs are lightly based on Warhammer and Warcraft. They have two Gods(Mork and Gork), their skin darkens and they grow taller with age, and they die after a few years of not fighting.

The idea is that Orcs are born fully grown and live to about six without fighting. The oldest orc that my group will meet is a troll sized one that is over 20 years old. The idea being that their God has live longer than any Orc and is gargantuan.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Races of the Wild was a great book for fluff, it was really good at portraying the life style of the elves, halflings, and raptorans. And I still love the little sections that each species had with common sayings and the naming chart, might actually be the part of the book I've referenced the most. I assume the other Races of the ______ books would be just as good.

Also, for any game where you might need to get into a canine/lupine mindset (like Werewolf: the Forsaken) I found the books in the Codex Alera that involved the Canim to be very helpful.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Though I don't enjoy playing it, I think Exalted has some really evocative fluff. It is good stuff. It would play great in Risus, in my opinion. Just a fine world. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

I love the setting material published for 2e DnD. Birthright and Planescape are my favorites, with Dark Sun close behind. Very neat stuff.

As for fiction, man there is just too much. Some of the best are Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamorra Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind, George R.R. Martins Song of Ice and Fire, and the original Robert Howard Conan stories (Phoenix on the Sword is one of my favs, but there are many good ones. Just be forewarned that racism and misogyny are par for the course with Howard)

My all time favorite fluff comes out of the 2nd and early 3rd edition Shadowrun books, though the stuff post Dunklezahn's will was not so good and we don't talk about the Year of the Comet in my house. the rest of it is really good in my opinion. Not sure how applicable it is too a wide variety of genres, but I am heavily influenced by it in almost everything I run. I just loved it all.