New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again) [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Part of the problem is Moffat is also showrunner on the new Sherlock Holmes adaptation the BBC are doing. Maybe that explains the ham fisted handling of the over arching plots we've seen in both the seasons he's supervised, who knows?
    He is? I didn't even know that, I love Sherlock. You're right though, that show has a somewhat forced myth arc as well. But all three episodes so far have been brilliant, thanks in no small part to the casting choices.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Only example I remember of that actually happening is the one where Davros is ressurected for the first time and its actually a sheer veritical wall that the doctor has got up using a rope. Then there's Rememberance of the darleks which actually has stairs and the dalek floats just like in the new series.
    Apparently I have terrible memory then. Excuse me. It was an old weakness in the four-part serial "The Daleks" and continues until "Rememberance".
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Apparently I have terrible memory then. Excuse me. It was an old weakness in the four-part serial "The Daleks" and continues until "Rememberance".
    The original serial has them only being able to walk on their electricly magnatised floor. Its a slightly bigger weakness than "stairs", which is redundant in a Dalek city that obviously doesn't have any stairs.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is terrible i know, but i re-watched The Doctor's Wife last night and when it was 'revealed' that House eats TARDIS's, i immediately was overcome with a fit of laughter because i was thinking of a different House. Thus this image was born.

I had just finished watching an episode of House MD.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not exactly a master at Photoshop....
    Last edited by Leecros; 2011-05-19 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

The original serial has them only being able to walk on their electricly magnatised floor. Its a slightly bigger weakness than "stairs", which is redundant in a Dalek city that obviously doesn't have any stairs.
    Ah, yes. Right.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Personally, I think Smith's Doctor is pretty impressive. He does tranquil fury well - it's there if you look, but the only time he lets it surface is when he's trying to intimidate someone. All three of the new doctors have tried like hell to play the "happy go lucky man-child with a time machine" role to cover up their numerous emotional scars, and each does a better job than the last. Eleven does the job so well that even people who recognize the pattern can't be certain if it's intentional or flanderization. But there's still steel under the fluff, and that's been a trademark Who aspect since he first learned to play the recorder.

Frankly, I think he's trying not to be Ten, is the main thing. Ten wore everything on his sleeve, was passionate about everything he took an interest in, treated every kill he was forced to make as if it were a crushing personal failure, and considered every soul he failed to save to be one he killed. In contrast, Eleven keeps everything buried under a fun-loving facade, tries to keep his distance from everything, and displays little remorse for killing things that piss him off.

I've read before that some people believe that each Doctor's personality draws from how the previous one's final moments. It makes sense in an odd way: Nine was born out of war and became a warrior while Ten was born from a sacrifice for the sake of a loved one, and became a loving individual interested more in saving the good than destroying the evil. But Eleven was born as Ten fought to retain his identity and let go of everything, so what came out was almost the opposite of Ten: an emotionally closed off crusader who will do anything he feels he needs to in order to do what he feels is right, be it killing, sacrificing, or screwing with someone's life right in front of their eyes.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

My ST had me stat out my character's ghoul, who is based on Donna Noble. Here is her character sheet:

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/10976

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Extend-o-Neck is the single scariest thing they have ever done on Nu Who and it has freaked the ever loving crap out of me.
    I am scarred.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

9. - Top - End - #519

Not a bad episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    My first thoughts were "this feels a bit standard but it doesn't seem to be a bad excusion of it".

But later it got a bit better when it turned out that rather than a standard "new tech goes evil" plot the double's motives all have logical explanations and they're just doing what the humans have taught them to do rather than being diabolus ex machina'd into villains.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I loved this episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone else get Paranoia vibes at the start? The acceptance of the clone's painful death was perfect!

I was worried that the gangers would be the instigators of conflict, so having a human do it was far better. Both sides seem really freaked out and scared, and I like how different gangers/humans are reacting in different ways, both to the general problem and to each other. I can foresee some teaming up with their opposites by the end.

And Rory doubters? This episode was a perfect example of why he is around. He is by far the most compassionate of the main cast, and also most lost; he sees what is right far easier than Amy, who just sees 'monster'.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

he sees what is right far easier than Amy, who just sees 'monster'.
    Only problem with that is that it seems

Spoiler
    Show
    opposite to her "the beast below" characterisation.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    And Rory doubters? This episode was a perfect example of why he is around. He is by far the most compassionate of the main cast, and also most lost; he sees what is right far easier than Amy, who just sees 'monster'.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose Rory also has the fact that he knows what it's like to be an artificial clone, with memories that are both his and not his.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2011-05-21 at 02:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liked the episode myself.

Spoiler
    Show

It's surely a racing certainty that the doppelganger Doctor is going to have something to do with that mystery of the Doctor dying in the first episode...

Going back to the discussion about how good this series is compared to older ones--I spoke to my mother on the 'phone after this episode, and she said she's not been enjoying it. Her opinion is that it's gone too dark and lost too much of the humour. I can kind of see where she's coming from, although to my mind it doesn't make it WORSE, just different...

14. - Top - End - #524

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Going back to the discussion about how good this series is compared to older ones--I spoke to my mother on the 'phone after this episode, and she said she's not been enjoying it. Her opinion is that it's gone too dark and lost too much of the humour. I can kind of see where she's coming from, although to my mind it doesn't make it WORSE, just different...
    I'm going to agree with this completly. I really like how dark it is getting; the fear factor is a large part of what makes doctor who doctor who imo. However this isn't going to appeal to everyone, and the show will probably lose viewers to it unfortunately. Different is better in my opinion, but ymmv.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm going to agree with this completly. I really like how dark it is getting; the fear factor is a large part of what makes doctor who doctor who imo. However this isn't going to appeal to everyone, and the show will probably lose viewers to it unfortunately. Different is better in my opinion, but ymmv.
    The pirate episode was moved to this half for the series as they though it would have been too dark
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #526

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    The pirate episode was moved to this half for the series as they though it would have been too dark
    As in too dark without the pirate episode? Interesting, as in my opinion the pirate episode was the worst of this series so far. Dark and scary works it seems (again, in my opinion).

17. - Top - End - #527
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

A fairly average Doctor Who episode (which basically means, very, very good if it were anything else on British TV).

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone else starting to feel really creeped out by Rory? I love the character, and it's certainly not part of his character that I find eerie. It's just that he keeps dying, and this week The Doctor momentarily forgets who he is. Something seems very very wrong. I'm starting to wonder if the whole erased from existence thing isn't quite finished with yet...

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of insane response is trying to kill one another? I can understand confusion & fear, but "BURN THEM ALL!!", just seems to be a bit of an unrealistic way to force some tension. But maybe I'm the weird one and everyone else's natural responce would WAR!!!!!

Quite liked it, wasn't the most entrancing episode I've ever seen, but it satisfied the cravings nicely.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

19. - Top - End - #529

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of insane response is trying to kill one another? I can understand confusion & fear, but "BURN THEM ALL!!", just seems to be a bit of an unrealistic way to force some tension. But maybe I'm the weird one and everyone else's natural responce would WAR!!!!!

Quite liked it, wasn't the most entrancing episode I've ever seen, but it satisfied the cravings nicely.
    It is obviously just something that's happening to increase drama, but it was done a lot more logically than how its usually done.

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean zombie movies, seriously. There's pretty much no reason why zombies in movies would go around eating people. Its just zombie nature because the alternative would be dull (or just require actualy effort to make interesting).

So I think this episode did it quite well.

The rumour of a previous incident gave the characters reason to be suspicious.

They explored the doppleganger revulsion a bit before simply jumping to "kill".

They had a character who was clearly set up to ruin things ruin things and set it all off. Now that's kind of cliche but it still works.

They made the humans and the copies basically equivilant so it didn't just turn into "copies are evil".

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

It is obviously just something that's happening to increase drama, but it was done a lot more logically than how its usually done.

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean zombie movies, seriously. There's pretty much no reason why zombies in movies would go around eating people. Its just zombie nature because the alternative would be dull (or just require actualy effort to make interesting).

So I think this episode did it quite well.

The rumour of a previous incident gave the characters reason to be suspicious.

They explored the doppleganger revulsion a bit before simply jumping to "kill".

They had a character who was clearly set up to ruin things ruin things and set it all off. Now that's kind of cliche but it still works.

They made the humans and the copies basically equivilant so it didn't just turn into "copies are evil".
    Yeah, I know & agree. Not sure why I felt the need to whinge about it, just something bugged me. Dunno why. Feel free to ignore my previous post, I certainly will.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Definitely going to have to agree that rory's response is likely a result of past experiences. I mean this isn't too disimilar to his initial reactions when he felt he wasn't real.

In general liked the episode. Best line? The one about the cockrel, can't remember the exact wording though.

Also...
    Spoiler
    Show

Valeyard?

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #532
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say this episode was about average for the current series. Not the worst script, but directed in such a way as to remove all atmosphere from truly great locations. The problem with the show going dark is, you need that moment of light to make the shadows stand out. Otherwise it just looks gloomy.

Something I realised tonight is, what's happened to the incidental music? Music can really make or break an episode, setting the tone and making the difference between bland or truly memorable. Often without you really being aware you're being manipulated like that.

And it does seem that the writers are being directed to use the same ideas as they used back in the early 60s. Separate one of the companions from the others and mess with them. Also make sure that the TARDIS is not accessible, otherwise they could just get back in it and leave.

What's with every episode having the Doctor stare at the monitor as it flicks from Amy being pregnant to her not being pregnant? And the women looking at Amy through mysterious holes in the wall. Move the story forwards or let it go into the background a bit. You don't have to belabour the point, Mr Moffat! The same things are turning up in almost every single episode and it's gone from intriguing to annoying.

All that said, the fact that it's a two parter genuinely caught me by surprise. Though my prediction last week of the clones things being tied directly in with the Doctor apparently getting zapped at the beginning of episode 1 seem about right. I'm betting that it's the Doctor in the space suit and the flesh clone Doctor getting shot on the side of that lake in Utah.

23. - Top - End - #533

Ok, Moffat, you can stop ending every bloody episode with a WHAM! moment now. Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but STILL.

(mind you, I did see this one coming, for once. )
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

24. - Top - End - #534
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post

Spoiler
    Show

It's surely a racing certainty that the doppelganger Doctor is going to have something to do with that mystery of the Doctor dying in the first episode...
    Spoiler
    Show

Seems to straightforward for me. However, I would like the Ganger Doctor to have a bigger role than either sacrificing himself in the next part (which I'm afraid will happen) or go his own way, never to be heard from again. Altogether, I was a bit disappointed in today's episode: plot was predictable, the recurrent theme of not being able to get into the Tardis is beginning to annoy me and stretched out to be a two-parter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post
    Ok, Moffat, you can stop ending every bloody episode with a WHAM! moment now. Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but STILL.

(mind you, I did see this one coming, for once. )
    it is a two parter, kinda silly not.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #536

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

What's with every episode having the Doctor stare at the monitor as it flicks from Amy being pregnant to her not being pregnant? And the women looking at Amy through mysterious holes in the wall. Move the story forwards or let it go into the background a bit. You don't have to belabour the point, Mr Moffat! The same things are turning up in almost every single episode and it's gone from intriguing to annoying.
    I don't think either of those appeared last week... besides, isn't that exactly what happened with Bad Wolf etc; they appeared each episode but never got acted on. Granted the cracks last series and the things this series are being made more obvious, but they are also being acted on by the characters quicker (I expect we'll see resolution of one or the other in the next two weeks, in the final parts of this half of the series)
    Last edited by Avaris; 2011-05-21 at 07:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

"My exact double killed one of us! This prooves that peace is not possible!"

You're hostile response is only due to the exact some judgement that instigated it, all this prooves is that you are a goddamn psychopath.

This reminds me a bit two much of a two-parter from last season.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-05-21 at 07:44 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

28. - Top - End - #538

Quote Originally Posted by Soepvork View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Seems to straightforward for me. However, I would like the Ganger Doctor to have a bigger role than either sacrificing himself in the next part (which I'm afraid will happen) or go his own way, never to be heard from again. Altogether, I was a bit disappointed in today's episode: plot was predictable, the recurrent theme of not being able to get into the Tardis is beginning to annoy me and stretched out to be a two-parter.
    The thing is that the Tardis would be able to clear up most of the issues in an episode. What's the point of doing an episode about something if they correct the conflict within five minutes?
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfly View Post
    The thing is that the Tardis would be able to clear up most of the issues in an episode. What's the point of doing an episode about something if they correct the conflict within five minutes?
    It would be nice to see some episodes where the Doctor isn't handicapped though.

As for the latest episode, it was okay. It could have been great, but it started out slow and the atmosphere was... not bad, just bland. The story itself was pretty good, but I'm starting to get what Dice was saying about the directing. I did really like Rory taking charge though, he's growing as a character. The later part of the episode got good, and while I'm not too fond of the "clones vs reals" plot, at least the clones had an actual motivation. I have a feeling the episode started slow because they filmed a story that needed more than one episode but less than two full ones. If I'm right than next week will be better. If I'm wrong... then I'm not sure why they made this into a two parter.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    True, but none of the characters remember that.
    Which means they could have murdered billions upon billions of people before that and nobody would have noticed.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.