New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    He has his own show now, doesn't really make sense for him to be a major participant in this one.

Though, maybe that's because I was never a huge fan of him.
    I like Jack, but not Torchwood.

Plus, I think it'd be funny to see Jack flirt with Rory, and have Amy get all jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    It's rather upsetting.
    Also, I want more Captain Jack Harkness. Seriously, where is the guy?
    Spoiler
    Show
    He was honestly the first person i expected after the bartender stated that "some guy" was sitting there with the letter. That and i thought it would have been interesting plot for Amy, Rory, River, and Jack to go back and save The Doctor.

More interesting than The Doctor screwing with his own past at least...

Or maybe i just would have liked to see his reaction when 4 of his companions appear randomly in 1969...

He has his own show now, doesn't really make sense for him to be a major participant in this one.

Though, maybe that's because I was never a huge fan of him.
    Is torchwood running again? I thought they were done after Series 3.

Also, arguably just because he has his own series doesn't mean that he couldn't make an appearance. I mean The Doctor shows up in Sarah Jane Adventures occasionally rarely never i guess now . Of course i'm not holding my breath since all the companions since before 11 have been pretty much sworn off, it would be a pleasant surprise to see one of them come back for 1 or 2 episodes...
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Is torchwood running again? I thought they were done after Series 3.

Also, arguably just because he has his own series doesn't mean that he couldn't make an appearance. I mean The Doctor shows up in Sarah Jane Adventures occasionally rarely never i guess now . Of course i'm not holding my breath since all the companions since before 11 have been pretty much sworn off, it would be a pleasant surprise to see one of them come back for 1 or 2 episodes...
    Was it? I haven't been keeping up with Torchwood because as I said, I was never really interested in Jack. Something about the "anything that moves" stereotype I find completely uninteresting to watch.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Was it? I haven't been keeping up with Torchwood because as I said, I was never really interested in Jack. Something about the "anything that moves" stereotype I find completely uninteresting to watch.
    I don't see how it's a stereotype at all. That's who he is, not who someone expects him to be, and there's no precedent (as far as I know) for it, especially in universe. Besides, that's not his only characteristic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, my recorder hasn't picked up a new Torchwood episode for a good long while, i just figured the series was done...

The ending seemed pretty definitive...Of course i don't follow it outside of watching new episodes when they showed up.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    I don't see how it's a stereotype at all. That's who he is, not who someone expects him to be, and there's no precedent (as far as I know) for it, especially in universe. Besides, that's not his only characteristic.
    When a character gets told to stop flirting every time he introduces himself it's a pretty prevalent characteristic. And no, I don't think he's a bad character, and at times I enjoy his dialogue. However, I don't find shameless flirting anything but uninteresting cheap attempts at humor. It's one of my quirks I guess. This doesn't say he's a bad character it just means that it's not something I like. That's one of my largest problems with Tennant Doctor and his companions actually, I never really cared for how they all wanted to be with him. That's also probably why I liked Rose the least and Donna the best of those companions.

And the screw anything that moves bisexual is totally a stereotype.

Also quick glance at wikipage says it's still going, series 4 is being made by Starz now.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-04-26 at 12:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    I like Jack, but not Torchwood.

Plus, I think it'd be funny to see Jack flirt with Rory, and have Amy get all jealous.
    Count me in for liking Jack, but not Torchwood, although much of my hate comes from Children of Earth. It doesn't help that Torchwood Jack is a much darker figure than the happy go lucky Jack from Doctor Who.
    However superb fighters they may be, they've no biological history or traditions to draw from. Thus "Look-It's a Monkey" works every time.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Well, my recorder hasn't picked up a new Torchwood episode for a good long while, i just figured the series was done...

The ending seemed pretty definitive...Of course i don't follow it outside of watching new episodes when they showed up.
    According to Wikipedia,
    A fourth series, co-produced by BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Worldwide and US premium entertainment network Starz will air in 2011 as Torchwood: Miracle Day, with Los Angeles as its predominant setting.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe the reason you think that's all there is to Jack is because you've not been watching Torchwood? He gets a lot of character development in series 2 and 3.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by small pumpkin m View Post
    It doesn't help that Torchwood Jack is a much darker figure than the happy go lucky Jack from Doctor Who.
    I agree, but given what he's done and had to do, I don't see him remaining happy go lucky and still being a convincing character (he's had what, over 100 years since being left behind after Bad Wolf and the start of Torchwood?)

Children of Earth just reinforces that, as does the throwaway reference to him in Left Turn.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Also quick glance at wikipage says it's still going, series 4 is being made by Starz now.
    Interesting....i'll have to check that my recorder is still set to record new episodes of Torchwood. I'm curious as to how they'll pick it back up after Children of Earth.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Maybe the reason you think that's all there is to Jack is because you've not been watching Torchwood? He gets a lot of character development in series 2 and 3.
    You see that's silly, why would I watch a show about a character I'm familiar with and don't like.

Also, I don't think there's nothing more to Jack, he's brave, and witty, and so on. But when half a characters jokes fall completely flat to me, that's too big a mountain to have to scale just for a tv show.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

When a character gets told to stop flirting every time he introduces himself it's a pretty prevalent characteristic. And no, I don't think he's a bad character, and at times I enjoy his dialogue. However, I don't find shameless flirting anything but uninteresting cheap attempts at humor. It's one of my quirks I guess. This doesn't say he's a bad character it just means that it's not something I like. That's one of my largest problems with Tennant Doctor and his companions actually, I never really cared for how they all wanted to be with him. That's also probably why I liked Rose the least and Donna the best of those companions.

And the screw anything that moves bisexual is totally a stereotype.

I have a friend who very, very heavily reminds me of Captain Jack. He's a ridiculous flirt and is constantly preening (he finds any excuse to be shirtless...and that's only 25% a joke...). He's also completely straight, despite the fact he flirts with guys just as much as chicks. My boyfriend and I always end up rolling our eyes when he meets someone new.

These people do exist, and they aren't just bisexual. And I think Jack was referred to as omnisexual, unless I'm mistaken- doesn't even have to be human for him to give it a once over.

Although, I agree with you on the Donna v. Rose thing. I just didn't get Jack as swooning over the Doctor (knew he had a crush, but never let it really interfere nor was it a defining characteristic of his character by any means).
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Half thought out theory that probably won't hold up to scrutiny:

Amy does something to get rid of the little girl/astronaut. I don't know what, maybe they bbq her and eat her for all I know.

River then puts on the suit and goes & kills the Dr. in 2011 because the timeline has to be maintained, and Amy sure isn't going to do it. She then goes and turns herself in.

Of course we'll see her again as she's getting younger as the series progresses (I think I have that right), hopefully one last time so we can put a lid on her story by starting it off with the Dr. meeting her as a younger self. She's starting to annoy me now & I'm afraid she'll get hit by a bus or something and we'll never get an on screen conclusion to River's story.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Half thought out theory that probably won't hold up to scrutiny:

Amy does something to get rid of the little girl/astronaut. I don't know what, maybe they bbq her and eat her for all I know.

River then puts on the suit and goes & kills the Dr. in 2011 because the timeline has to be maintained, and Amy sure isn't going to do it. She then goes and turns herself in.

Of course we'll see her again as she's getting younger as the series progresses (I think I have that right), hopefully one last time so we can put a lid on her story by starting it off with the Dr. meeting her as a younger self. She's starting to annoy me now & I'm afraid she'll get hit by a bus or something and we'll never get an on screen conclusion to River's story.
    She already in jail so unless she already killed him before, killing the doctor is not why shes in jail as she has not done it yet.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

She's already in stormcage at the begining of the episode. I guess she could be in there for other reasons initially and Octavian was only refering to her most recent offense, but that seems a bit too silly to actually be the case.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-04-26 at 12:20 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    She already in jail so unless she already killed him before, killing the doctor is not why shes in jail as she has not done it yet.
    Exactly, she's already in jail and since we're seeing her life in reverse she hasn't done the murder that she get's imprisoned for yet.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

You know, that whole timey whimey stuff throws up some questions (which have already been encountered in other scifi but I'll add some fuel to the flames anyway)
    If River isin prison for killing the Doctor (or whoever) would it be legimate to imprison her younger self which has not yet committed the crime in order to stop her future self from committing the crime even if this means she will never actually commit the crime and thus would be basically imprisoned.... er... what's the word... unjustly? Well, I guess it's a rather common question in time travel scifi but since River fits the case I just thought I'd bring it up.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Exactly, she's already in jail and since we're seeing her life in reverse she hasn't done the murder that she get's imprisoned for yet.
    Surely this encounter with the doctor has to come after "The Pandorica Opens"/"The Big Bang" for River aswell, otherwise she should have recognised Rory (at the camp/museum).
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-04-26 at 12:38 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Surely this encounter with the doctor has to come after "The Pandorica Opens" for River aswell, otherwise she should have recognised Rory.
    Time exploded, I'm calling that a fluke. He had a weird thing where people couldn't remember him after all.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-04-26 at 12:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Time exploded, I'm calling that a fluke. He had a weird thing where people couldn't remember hime after all.
    She could also be really bad with faces, that's why she needs pictures of the Doctor in her diary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

My own theory as to the mysterious astronaut's identity: the Doctor himself.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    You know, I was thinking that myself but than... Um... damn, now I forgot what convinced me otherwise. Apart from the timey wimey, that is... I can't recall but there was something in the episode that made me think 'no, probably wasn't him'. I'll be back if I remember it.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

That could be interesting, Amy kills the kid/astronaut, the Doctor makes her tell him why so he goes forward in time to kill himself to stop time exploding. Rather dark though...
    Last edited by Weezer; 2011-04-26 at 01:07 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I have a friend who very, very heavily reminds me of Captain Jack. He's a ridiculous flirt and is constantly preening (he finds any excuse to be shirtless...and that's only 25% a joke...). He's also completely straight, despite the fact he flirts with guys just as much as chicks. My boyfriend and I always end up rolling our eyes when he meets someone new.

These people do exist, and they aren't just bisexual. And I think Jack was referred to as omnisexual, unless I'm mistaken- doesn't even have to be human for him to give it a once over.
    Where did I say these people don't exist? I'm sure I could find someone that fits any stereotype if I looked hard enough. Doesn't mean it's not a stereotype.

Doesn't matter though, this one annoys me. I'm also fairly certain I would not be a friend of your friend as he would likely annoy me, and I probably would not watch a tv show centered around him. Don't take that personally though, a lot of people annoy me. It's just one more on the list.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Just wanted to say called it also.

Spoiler
    Show

Loved the episode.

Thoughts:

Spaceman is the doctor.

The necron Tardis is a paradox machine and breaking it will save the doctor.

~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just wanted to say called it also.
    What paradox is it holding in place? I guess it could be an even older Doctor.
    I don't mind the the spaceman being the Doctor btw, I just didn't see why there needs to be a paradox machine involved.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    What paradox is it holding in place? I guess it could be an even older Doctor.
    I don't mind the the spaceman being the Doctor btw, I just didn't see why there needs to be a paradox machine involved.
    Which is why my astronaut = River theory is so badass. No paradox machine needed.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Which is why my astronaut = River theory is so badass. No paradox machine needed.
    However, that would require the doctor being killed to still happen after this storyline is dealt with, which I very much doubt will happen, since that would lock them into not being able to use another actor after Smith and that his closest companions remain Amy, Rory, and River.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    However, that would require the doctor being killed to still happen after this storyline is dealt with, which I very much doubt will happen, since that would lock them into not being able to use another actor after Smith and that his closest companions remain Amy, Rory, and River.
    Clone etc.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-04-26 at 02:21 PM.