A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default It's Over Nine Thousaannndd! (IC)

Five minutes ago, an ethereal entity formed of light had granted you each "Great Power", and had vanished.

Before that, you had each fallen several hundred feet into a deep lake that somehow cushioned your fall.

And now you're in an underground chamber, similar to an auditorium, with a faintly glowing crystal forming where the being had been.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: It's Over Nine Thousaannndd! (IC)

Felix stretched, getting used to his new body for the thousandth time that day. Out of all of his friends, Felix probably had the most significant transformation. In a single moment, he had every boy's (and man's) ultimate dream - becoming a (magnificently handsome) adult. The little mousy kid with bad hair and a weird smell was now towering tall above his friends with a charming smile.

Felix knelled over the pool that had managed to save his life from the fall. For what thousandth time he smiled, enjoying the new face he had. It was still him, but it was...older, more mature. And clear of acne. Oh the blessing, it was clear of acne! Rubbing his small beard, he smiled even wider. This had turned out to be a better day than he had thought!

Smiling, Felix knew that his outside appearance were small gifts compared to what the Avatar of Light had given him. He had received his blessing - Felix could still feel it deep within him. Closing his eyes, he held a up to his chest, feeling the deep warmth that was there, pulsating with power and synchronized with the beat of his heart.

Felix always had faith. Even when he was bullied he always had faith. Smiling, he could feel the warmth respond to his thoughts. It was like the Avatar of Light itself was with him. This was it's blessing, and Felix loved it.

Taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes and looked around the room. He noticed his other friends, they were still recovering from their changes as well. He was glad all of them had received gifts that day; together he was sure they'll be able to do anything.

The crystal caught his eye. "Hey guys!" he said excitedly. "What's with the crystal? Let's go touch it and see what it is!"

Yep, still the same Felix.
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-04-18 at 06:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps it would be advisable to determine what kind of magic it holds, first Signy says, brushing her hair from her face, I doubt it's dangerous given the situation, but it is better to gather information first then to risk danger.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Though not really changing in outward appearance, Cyrus mind EXPLODED (not literally) with knowledge, as if he had been blind his whole life and just opened his eyes for the first time. When struck by the Avatar, Cyrus' brain started flooded with information on every conceivable topic, from arcane formulae, to the structure of the planes, even to the migration patterns of swallows! Once this knowledge filled in, it started congealing, forming something resmebling a cord within his mind. The cord was thin, but it seemed to connect him to something vast and wonderful, like a coffee straw in a milkshake. With a great deal of mental straining, Cyrus pulled forth on the cord and was rewarded with a tiny piece of arcane power, a Detect Magic cantrip. Refining his approach, he pulled forth another, and another, getting easier each time. After gathering all the cantrips he could find and storing them in his mind, Cyrus "felt" around for what he knew to be 1st-level spells. These were significantly harder, and Cyrus could only squeeze so many in his brain before being forced to quit. After gathering from this resivoir of arcane might, he experienced his third and final change. The world seemed to slow around him, and a sword materialized out of nowhere in his hand. Twirling it around, he realized that he seemed to be moving at normal speed, everything else had slowed significantly. With some extrapolation, Cyrus realized that to everyone else's point of view, he must have lightning-fast relexes!

After watching the others go through their transofrmations, Cyrus turned to his old friends and said: "I agree, we should learn as much as possible so we can weigh all of our options."
    Last edited by Chess435; 2011-04-19 at 12:35 AM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ashe thought she was merely going to the house to help some commoners and play with the kids. But apparently, that seemed to be when the most suprising things happened.

She gasped as the hole opened up under the house, unprepared for the event. She shouldn't of relaxed when going into an innocent house, she scolded herself. It was lack of awareness, after all, that may have led to the downfall of her mentor.

Suddenly, she felt herself infused with arcane power. Although talented at magic, able to cast cantrips as a kid, she felt capable of mustering the harder spells as arcane knowledge poured into her mind. Additionally, she felt more in tune with her elven heritage as the magic enhanced her senses.

Noticing that her playmates wanted to become more aware of the area, she thought that was a good tactic, and scanned the area with her enhanced senses.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen, spot, and search checks (in order). If there is time, I am taking 20.
    (1d20+10)[19]
    (1d20+10)[17]
    (1d20+10)[24]
    Last edited by purplearcanist; 2011-04-19 at 09:42 AM.
    My current games:
    Its Over 9000: OOC, IC, Ashe

Lords of Creation: dueling pantheons
    OOC, IC

6. - Top - End - #6

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well if you guys suppose," Felix said as he stopped short of the crystal. For a moment he examined it, looking at it from different angles and trying his best to discern its function or use. Although he was genuinely might brighter now, he couldn't figure out anything about it, or even if it was the Avatar in a new form.

"I don't think we should fear it though," he said after a couple of minutes, rubbing the back of his head as he turned around to the others. "I mean it was left behind by the Avatar right? There's no need to fear anything from the good guys. Besides, maybe it can help us on our new quest!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps it's time for a more direct approach, as we won't get very far just sitting here contemplating about it." Cyrus said as he approached the crystal. Nervously poking out a finger, he reached out to touch it.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Ashe

Other than the lake, there's nothing much. A large chest resting on a stone table, an opening in the cavern wall that looks to lead up, and the crystal are the only things in the room with you.

Everyone

As Cyrus reaches to touch the crystal, a voice resonates through your heads.

"Hold, young one. Doth thou wish to be incinerated by the full might of the Light?" It echoes, seemingly targeted towards Cyrus. "If not, restrain yourself from touching that."
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Told you we ought to figure out what it was first, Signy says a look of smug satisfaction on her face upon verification that her suspicions were correct.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickly pulling his hand back, Cyrus replied nervously. "... Perhaps discretion is the wisest course of action in this case. Heh heh....."
    ^~Cody T.~^

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Felix jumped back at the sound of the voice, looking around to discern its location. "What was that guys?" he said, his voice steady despite how scared he felt. His eyes wildly scanned the breadth of the chamber, but he could not find the source of the sound. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end.

"Show yourself! Why should we believe you? You aren't the Avatar!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I find more than enough evidence to believe that the voice, was in fact, the Avatar of Light. If you wish to dispute this claim, then why don't you touch that crystal over there? Just don't say I didn't warn you.....
    ^~Cody T.~^

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I must repeat my inquiry, can any among us detect magic or perhaps auras of evil? If it is a creature playing at being the avatar it would most likely be a being of absolute evil, Signy says calmly.

Current Projects:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Interesting, why is a large chest in the room. Anyways, as magic is already being used in this room, I think it would be best to scan the area. And scanning the area for traces of evil is a good idea, I just don't have that ability. Awareness is a useful thing, I've found."

Spoiler
    Show

Cast detect magic on myself, using a sorcerer cantrip. I examine the crystal, then the chest for any magical auras. And sorry for posting late. ;)
    Last edited by purplearcanist; 2011-04-20 at 01:23 AM.
    My current games:

OOC, IC

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

Felix raised an eyebrow. "That obviously doesn't sound like the Avatar of Light," he said slowly, as if it was the most obvious thing. "And the Avatar of Light definitely wouldn't talk to us in that tone! I think there's someone else here, trapped with us. Let's search him out!"

Felix stopped himself before he took another step. Then again, he didn't sound, or even looked, the same after his transformation. And he doubt that there really could be a malevolent presence so close to the Avatar of Light. Still, he best be cautious, just in case.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can scan for magic, but that's about it for now." Cyrus will cast detect magic, turning 90 degrees every 3 rounds so as to get a good reading on everything in the room.

Spells Prepared:
    Spoiler
    Show

Detect MagicDetect Magic
    Read Magic

Magic Missile
    Protection From Evil
    Grease

Spellcraft checks to determine school auras:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[16]
    (1d20+9)[20]
    (1d20+9)[28]

Should anything have a strong or stronger aura, I'll use an inspiration point to gain an additional +5 to my check.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2011-04-20 at 11:59 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The magic detection attemps fail, presuably due to the sheer amount of background activity located around the fallen creator.

"Children, halt your activity. You know not what you meddle with." The voice echoes, taking an annoyed tone.
    Extended Signature.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Realizing that this is a being of immense power Ashe hesitates. Then, she speaks, realizing that this presence could have killed them all in an instant, it had different intentions.

"I would like it if you could introduce yourself. Are you responsible for this unexpected event? Please, don't harm us, we were merely curious about who you were."
    Last edited by purplearcanist; 2011-04-21 at 10:39 PM.
    My current games:

OOC, IC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Also, I imagine you didn't just give us these gifts on a whim. So tell us, what do you intend for us to do with these powers?"
    Last edited by Chess435; 2011-04-22 at 09:53 AM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

20. - Top - End - #20

SwashbucklerGuy

Felix jumped up at the sound of the voice. He turned around wildly, still frustrated at not being able to pinpoint its source. "Where are you? What do you want?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"I am the remnant of the avatar of Light." The voice echoes, being mysterious as it started. "My reasons for granting you this power are simple: you are the first with the potential to become my champions to arrive here in a great many years."

After giving you a moment for that to sink in, it continues.

"As my champions, you will do battle with the forces of Darkness, and make this world one where the Light will always shine."
    Extended Signature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What are the forces of darkness of which you speak? If there is one thing I know, knowledge can be an important determinant in a fight."
    My current games:

OOC, IC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Signy nods agreement, but keeps quiet, still listening.

Current Projects:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"I concur. The more we know, the better. So if you don't mind, an explanation would be nice."
    ^~Cody T.~^

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"Unfortunately, I know not what you will face. The Avatar of Darkness did not see fit to tell it's mortal enemy who it chose as it's champions, for some reason." The voice echoes, sarcasm dripping from it.

"Though I know that it would only choose the most vile and reprehensible beings possible for that, because of it's very nature."

"Now, if you would like to start out on you quest, there is a door over there." It continues, a pulse of light flashing from the hole in the wall of the chamber.
    Extended Signature.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus will proceed down the chamber, a tad apprehensively.

OOC: Maybe if we could bottle some of that liquid sarcasm and take it with us........
    Last edited by Chess435; 2011-04-26 at 01:59 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Signy bows her head, and taking her bow begins moving towards the indicated door.

Current Projects:

28. - Top - End - #28

SwashbucklerGuy

Felix was seemingly unaffected by the Avatar's tone, diligently hanging onto it's every word. Unlike the others, he was very much the kid he was several minutes ago and he had absolute faith in the Avatar.

It surprised him that the Avatar had diminished so, but it made sense. After all, they all had a part of the Avatar within them right now. That was their gifts after all. Felix felt a surge of confidence - he was going to pay the Avatar back for these gifts by helping it conquer the Avatar of Darkness.

"Let's go guys!" he says enthusiastically as he practically runs for the corridor. "Can't wait to get this adventure started!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ashe moves to the door, on the alert for any danger.

Spoiler
    Show

Ashe makes listen, search and spot checks, to determine if there is anything dangerous or of note. After this if I don't hear anything, I do a quick cast of detect magic and detect anything with magical auras 60 ft. from the door.
    Listen:(1d20+10)[11]
    Search:(1d20+10)[13]
    Spot:(1d20+10)[30]
    My current games:

OOC, IC

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

@All who made checks:

Nothing dangerous around the door. The background magic is still too much to detect anything.

@Everyone:

Assuming you all walk through the hole in the cavern, your find a gently sloping path heading up, probably curving around the chamber to make a spiral that leads somewhere like the hill several hundred yards away from the house.

It also seems to go further, though the way down is not lit, making you feel fairly sure that the Avatar of Light doesn't want you to go that way.
    Extended Signature.