New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lord of the Uttercold 3.5 Base Class PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    I'm already in two games that are searching for DM's in which I have a request up to try it out, so if I get a chance, I'll let ya know.

Edit: Got him approved in one as a Sorcerer Gestalt. His crunch is effectively done, so you can take a look at Victor Ivanovich Straud du Cherbourg
    if you like.
    Looks like an interesting character Hope you enjoy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Looks like an interesting character Hope you enjoy it!
    I'm slowly realizing the crazy things one can do with the ice sculpting. Example: Use ice to create an air bubble in a particularly frigid region of ocean, build the fortress underwater, and then create a large ice "pipeline" through said water to a totally random area, allowing for flow of oxygen. Create an "airlock" system, allowing you to move back into the ocean without letting it into the fortress, then air-bubbling your way back up to the surface.
    Credit for the awesome avvie goes to emporer Ing.

TO EVERYONE: My life has taken a turn for the busy, and I have more things on my plate than I expected. I WILL respond to EVERYTHING, but I need some extra time and patience. Thank you all, in advance. Giantitp folk tend to be understanding and I'm infinitely grateful.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

I'm slowly realizing the crazy things one can do with the ice sculpting. Example: Use ice to create an air bubble in a particularly frigid region of ocean, build the fortress underwater, and then create a large ice "pipeline" through said water to a totally random area, allowing for flow of oxygen. Create an "airlock" system, allowing you to move back into the ocean without letting it into the fortress, then air-bubbling your way back up to the surface.
    That is kinda the point of that feature, in a campaign that I finally got this approved in (Unfortunately just as a cohort that I can't use in combat >.>) I have them creating bridges that they can just melt when intruders come.

I don't think you could actually create an air bubbles in the water because with ice floating the blocks of ice you would create could just float up to the top like icebergs. Still you are right and there are some crazy things you can do with this class feature.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ended up revising the character a bit due to a DM change, but our game FINALLY started. At level 10 no less. Also, what with animate dead being spell like, no onyx is required, which is...really freaking useful
    Here's the new incarnation.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=327882
    Credit for the awesome avvie goes to emporer Ing.

TO EVERYONE: My life has taken a turn for the busy, and I have more things on my plate than I expected. I WILL respond to EVERYTHING, but I need some extra time and patience. Thank you all, in advance. Giantitp folk tend to be understanding and I'm infinitely grateful.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Ended up revising the character a bit due to a DM change, but our game FINALLY started. At level 10 no less. Also, what with animate dead being spell like, no onyx is required, which is...really freaking useful
    Here's the new incarnation.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=327882

Oh you switched out sorc for dread necro. Wow thats going to have a high Undead HD cap... Hope it is fun to play!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Added a ACF for DM's that ban leadership and landlord.

Uttercold Knight
    You focus your strength in empowering yourself not attracting others.
    Requires: Lord of the Uttercold levels 1, 3, 6, and 9.
    Benefit: At the given levels, you do not gain Rime Dragon, Inspirational Fighting, Undead Commander or Undead Legion.

Instead, you gain the following abilities.
    At 1st level you gain a variant of rime dragon. This ability works exactly the same as rime dragon but its damage is increased to 1d6/class level. This ability also has an additional bonus to it's bull rush check equal to 1/2 your charisma modifier.
    At 3rd level you gain the ability to add full your charisma modifier to hit and to your initiative checks.
    At 6th level you gain the ability to activate your rime dragon ability directly after a full attack as a swift action. This rime dragon deals 1/2 damage. This ability can be used a number of times equal to your charisma modifier.
    At 9th level you gain the ability Frostfel Aura. You gain an aura that strips enemies of their strength and dexterity. Every round in this aura enemies need to make a fort save dc 10 + 1/2 class level + charisma modifier or take 2 strength and dex damage. The radius of this aura is 10ft per class level.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Any comments about the ACF? I am in particular worried about the frostfel aura being too strong.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

wow... this is awesome
    only thing i would say
    i know level 18 is quite high, but 15d6 per round for basically infinite rounds still seems rather....brutal (for the mirrors)
    regardless, would be amusing wandering around wth a swordstick or something, chaining and slashing people, or just smashing them through walls via dragon
    I love it!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the comments .

Yes the demonic ice mirrors ability is strong. However, at 17th level there is also forcecage which is a lot harder to break out. The ice mirrors do really screw over melee who do not have any way of teleporting, but at that level most creatures and characters have a way of teleporting which makes this ability near useless. Also allies would probably be able to break them out fairly easily with AoE's.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Okay so I went and changed a couple things after going over this class again.

I changed the transformation to another template (A new one I just made) so that you don't have to try to convert a Pathfinder template back to 3.5.

I removed Demonic Ice Mirrors and replaced it with an improved dragon form ability as I felt Demonic Ice Mirrors was too complicated and situational.

I then added more spells to the spell list and sourced them.

In the future I think I will clarify how the landlord money works better and make the ability function cleaner.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I see there is the martial aura ability in the description. But I cant see it in the level progression chart. Is it something you have missed or am I simply blind?

Never mind I saw it.
    Last edited by Nyan; 2013-12-22 at 05:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    I see there is the martial aura ability in the description. But I cant see it in the level progression chart. Is it something you have missed or am I simply blind?

Never mind I saw it.
    Edited that ability to make it clearer

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm looking through the rime dragon ability and I cant really seem to understand how wide its supposed to be. Like does it begin by being 5ft wide and increases by 5ft every fifth level after the first or is it that it gets to 10ft wide at lvl 10?

To simplify is it this?
    Lvl 1: 5ft wide.
    Lvl 5: 10ft wide.
    Lvl 10: 15ft wide.

Or this?
    Lvl 5: 5ft wide.
    Lvl 10: 10ft wide.

Also the description does not say how to calculate the DC of the reflex save to halve the damage of the rime dragon.
    Last edited by Nyan; 2013-12-29 at 07:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    I'm looking through the rime dragon ability and I cant really seem to understand how wide its supposed to be. Like does it begin by being 5ft wide and increases by 5ft every fifth level after the first or is it that it gets to 10ft wide at lvl 10?

To simplify is it this?
    Lvl 5: 10ft wide.
    Lvl 10: 15ft wide.

Or this?
    Lvl 5: 5ft wide.
    Lvl 10: 10ft wide.

Also the description does not say how to calculate the DC of the reflex save to halve the damage of the rime dragon.
    Wow I can't believe its been this long and no one has noted the rime dragon lacking a save dc. Its 10 + 1/2 Class Level + Charisma modifier.

The progression is supposed to be 1-9 5ft, 10-14 10ft, 15-19 15ft, 20, 20ft. It takes a bit to widen but at higher levels aoe's are a bit more important and less game changing than lower levels

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Okay so going back through my homebrews a bit when I had free time and I wanted to touch up some things with this class.

I made the following changes:
    Updated Spell List: I have a tendancy to add only super practical spells to homebrewed spell lists so I went through and added a few more situational ones that fit the flavor.

Changed how control water/ice worked to make it more clear how it functions in combat (Not well) and now requires a minute casting time to start moving/controlling ice. This ability is more for environmental control rather than a combat tool.

Clarified a few abilities, boreal haze, undead commander's landlord section and successor section. Added more details on how the stronghold works and added some fluff to go with it (Changing the surrounding landscape's temperature to cold, etc etc).

Readjusted the levels at which the leadership abilities are granted to provide less jarring transitions (At 6th level followers are too powerful but fall off quickly in relevance)

Dragon Form now boosts charisma as well to give the Lords of the Uttercold less interested in melee combat a reason to use the ability.

Overall most of those things I changed were minor buffs (Added a few spells, dragon form) and a minor nerf on control water/ice and their leadership abilities. Hopefully I think this still falls in line with a tier 3 combatant.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2017-10-01 at 03:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Another one of my random update sprees to my old homebrew. I finally got a player to playtest this class in an actual campaign, they were playing an Uttercold Knight instead of the base class but still there was some things that I felt could be added to this class to help. Mostly regarding Rime Dragon, spell list and a few other abilities.

Change List:
    1) Bumped their spellcasting to bard spellcasting progression. It's not that much of a buff but its just easier to remember than their custom rate. Also added some cantrips to the class finally.
    2) Added quite a lot of new spells as well as an advanced learning esque ability tied into their spellcasting.
    3) Reworked Rime Dragon a bit. The intentions were a bit harder to parse than I intended. Nerfed the ability so that the bull rush only applies on a failed reflex save.
    4) Buffed the boreal wind SLA ability
    5) Reworked the animate dead SLA so they can use the ability less but can reanimate destroyed mindless undead.
    6) Changed the flash step ability into a more flavorful turn into a burst of cold wind style movement. Pruning out some of the old anime abilities I put in when I wrote this class in high school.

Let me know what you think, this class is always one of the weirder ones as it is so intrinsically tied to leadership and stronghold building and most campaigns those are both either irrelevant due to time constraints or not something the DM wants to deal with. Let me know if you have used this class though or if you have comments on some of these updates.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2020-11-27 at 06:57 PM.