Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ecology of the Braxat

Ecology of the Braxat
    Spoiler
    Show

Braxats are massive, reptilian monstrous humanoids native to a dying plane. It is here that these creatures, often described as a fusion of rhinoceros, monitor lizard, and beetle, thrive best. Despite their small numbers, Braxats are known throughout the city-states as brutally efficient raiders and killers.

History of the Braxat
    The first Braxats appeared in the world of Athas, roughly two thousand years ago. This has led to some debate as to how the Braxats were first introduced to the world, as this time directly coincides with the waning days and fall of the Rajaat’s rule. The most common theory is that Braxats are mutated descendants of Mekillots. Indeed, the two creatures share much in common. This, along with the Rajaat’s fascination with magical modification and life shaping, has led some to believe that they were created as shock troopers very late in the weeks before the Rajaat’s downfall.

Others believe that their creation is a result of the downfall itself. With the Rajaat contained in the Hollow of the Black, the Pristine Tower’s energy warped many forms of life. One of these new races and creatures could have very well been the Braxats. They had once lived in the general area surrounding the tower, even if they have spread north of the Tyr region since then. This may be seen as proof of this theory. Still, some speculate that they could be even older, having been created at the fall of the ancient Rhulisti civilization. At this point in history, the sun turned from blue to yellow, and the landscape was ravaged by magical chaos. Believers in this theory defend it by saying Braxats could have remained hidden, eliminating any survivors that noticed it.

This could indeed be the case. Braxats are violent raiders. One is capable of wiping out an entire settlement of humanoids by itself. It is feasible that by ensuring there were no survivors, the Braxats could remain a mystery for many thousands of years. As they migrated to the area just north of the Tyr region, they came into contact with the large giants who made their homes there. It is believed that even today, the Braxats and the giants are constantly at war with another. This may be why Braxats live in warbands, despite their ability to take down most creatures smaller than themselves. Small groups have also settled in the Jagged Cliffs, where they assault Halfling and Rhul-Thaun communities.

Braxats have occasionally been found on other planes, where they have terrorized local populations with their psionic and physical might. How this has happened is unknown, as the Gray prevents anything from leaving the planes coterminous to it. Sometimes, after a Braxat has devastated a community, a group of survivors may join forces to eradicate the beast. This usually ends in the Braxat’s favor. Many adventurers hunt Braxats for sport, or see them out as mercenaries. While this mostly doesn’t always end well for the adventurers, they have a much higher survival rate than others.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-17 at 05:51 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Physiology & Psychology

Physiology
    Braxats share much in common with their mekillot ancestors. Their specific characteristics make them very good hunters, and they now use these characteristics as raiders. Braxats are reptilian, despite their insectile-mammalian appearance. Their cold-blooded nature allows them to live comfortably in Athas’ warm arid climate. Like mekillots, Braxats can retain heat even after the sun sets, so they are not sluggish like the majority of Athasian predators.

Braxats have powerful legs packed with muscle, but this does not allow it to run fast. In fact, for its size, it is slow. This muscle is actually used to keep it upright; the Braxat is extremely heavy, and requires a lot of strength to stand upright. This is the primary reason that, when running, Braxats find it more comfortable to assume a more quadrupedal form. When they stand upright, they are twelve to fifteen feet tall; nearly as tall as the giants they call foes. This makes them very imposing, especially to the smaller humanoids they raid.

While they usually use their powerful arms to wield weapons, Braxats do brandish a single group of natural weapons: their horns. These horns, growing from the end of the nose, are long and serrated, perfect for tearing flesh and puncturing organs. When charging, they generally bash into enemies head first, while using the spikes growing all along their body to make the goring attempt even more damaging.

Unlike most large monstrous humanoids (trolls and ogres come to mind), the brain of the Braxat is actually quite advanced. They are, on average, smarter than the average human, and use this advanced intellect to come up with complicated raiding strategies. Like all psionic creatures, the Braxat has an expanded cerebral cortex. This leaves a large amount of room to process information and focus to produce various psionic effects. This is even further augmented by their spell-like abilities. Braxats also have the ability to reach out to other minds with a form of telepathy, with a range of one mile.

The horns of Braxats are prized as tools because they never dull; even after they are removed, the keratin the horn is made of continues to grow and sharpen.

{table]Kingdom | Animalia
    Phylum | Chordata
    Class | Reptilia
    Order | Squamata
    Suborder | Lacertilia
    Family | Agamidae
    Genus | Mekillotsis
    Species | M. braxteria[/table]

Psychology
    Braxats are best described as violent spree killers. They revel in torturing their prey before consumption, and have no disregard for the laws of non-Braxats whatsoever. This has lead to the (often correct) assumption that Braxats are merciless monsters. Despite this, however, Braxats are very complex individuals who have built a form of civilization based around these base desires.

Braxats think like pack predators. Once they reach maturity, they are indoctrinated into a warband (the average tribe has two or three). The leaders of the warband teach new recruits that their only chance for survival is through the teamwork of the group. Warbands eat, sleep, and drill together every day. They aid and befriend each other, and fight together. They obey the warband leader as humanoid children obeys their parents; a stark contrast to their usual behavior towards any sort of authority. Braxats cannot fight with bandmates, and to kill a fellow bandmate is to condemn both yourself and your family to death.

It is believed that Braxats did not develop this behavior until after first contact with the giants. Before that, Braxats were mostly solitary hunters who made surgical strikes against humanoids in highly populated areas. Occasionally, they would form small bands to wipe out large humanoid settlements. This ancient way of life can still be seen in Braxat society today; rival warbands are encourage to fight amongst themselves, so that only the strongest survive and reproduce. Leaders of a tribe are expected to prove their strength often if they are to hold dominance in the clan.

Males and females are both considered equal, and warbands are open to both genders.

Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-05-17 at 04:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Advancement

Braxat, Psionic
    Braxats were not updated with the release of the Expanded Psionic Handbook. If your game uses Psionics, make the following adjustments to the Braxat’s statblock:

Large Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic)
    Special Attacks:
    Breath weapon, Mindblast, psi-like abilities, spell-like abilities

Psi-like Abilities: At will- Dimension Door, Personal Mind Blank, Inflict Pain (DC 16). 3/day- Suggestion (DC 16). Save DCs are Intelligence-based.

Advanced Braxats
    The leaders of Braxat warbands are usually rangers, but psychic warriors, fighters, and barbarians are not uncommon.

The following Braxat warband leader is a superior specimen of its kind, given better ability scores and several levels in its favored class, Ranger.

Braxat Warband Leader
    Large Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic)
    Hit Dice:
    10d8+5d8+120 (187 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 20 (+8 natural, +3 hide armor, +1 Dex, -2 size), touch 9, flatfooted 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+31
    Attack: Huge Longsword +23 melee (3d6+8), or Gore +18 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: Huge Longsword +23/+17/+11 melee (3d6+8) and Dagger +23/+17/+11 melee (1d8+4), or Gore +18 melee (1d8+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, Psi-like Abilities, Spells, Favored Enemies, Mindblast, Breath Weapon
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Magic, Darkvision 60 ft., telepathy
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +10, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 12, Con 24, Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 8
    Skills: Climb +26, Handle Animal +17, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (Nature) +20, Handle Animal +17, Survival +13
    Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise(B), Endurance(B), Great Cleave, Improved Toughness, Pain Mastery*, Power Attack(B), Track(B), Two Weapon Fighting(B), Weapon Focus (Dagger), Weapon Focus (Longsword)
    Environment: Warm Deserts
    Organization: Warband (1 plus 7-11 Braxats)
    Challenge Rating: 13
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Advancement: -----
    Level Adjustment: +6
    *Savage Species

Breath Weapon (Su): The Braxat warleader can breathe a 30 ft. long cone of cold for 3d8 points of cold damage (DC 24 for half damage). The Braxat warband leader can use this ability every 1d4 rounds.

Mind Blast (Sp):
    This mind numbing blast extends from the Braxat warband leader in a 30 ft. cone. Anyone caught in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC 16), or be stunned for 3d4 rounds.

Favored Enemies (Ex): The Braxat warband leader gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Humanoids (Human). Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. Against Giants, these bonuses increase to +4.

Psi-like Abilities: At will- Dimension Door, Personal Mind Blank, Inflict Pain (DC 16). 3/day- Suggestion (DC 16). Save DCs are Intelligence-based.

Spells: The Braxat warband leader can cast one spell per day because of its high Wisdom score. It can cast any spell of 1st level, usually longstrider or magic fang.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- blink. 1/day- confusion (DC 13), feeblemind (DC 14). Caster level 8th.

Telepathy: A Braxat warleader’s telepathy extends to a one mile radius.

Medium Viper Animal Companion; Medium Animal; Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp); Initiative: +3; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.; Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13; Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+0; Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-1 plus poison); Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-1 plus poison); Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.; Special Attacks: Poison; Special Qualities: Scent; Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +1; Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2; Skills: Balance +11, Climb +11, Hide +12, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +7; Feats: Weapon Finesse; Challenge Rating: 1

Link (Ex): The Braxat warband leader can handle its animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if it doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The Braxat gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.

Poison (Ex): A viper snake has a poisonous bite that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Con (DC 11). The save DC are Constitution-based.

Share Spells (Ex): At the Braxat’s option, it may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts upon herself also affect his animal companion. The animal companion must be within 5 feet of the warband leader at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the animal companion if the companion moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the animal again, even if it returns to the Braxat before the duration expires.

Note: Technically, this monster does not qualify for Pain Mastery, because that feat has Toughness as a prerequisite. I swapped it Improved Toughness instead. If, for what ever reason, you actually use Toughness in your game, replace Pain Mastery with another feat. Also, I am aware I left a few key details in the monster stat block (i.e. what abilities are the save DCs based on, the stats used before adding racial modifiers, etc.). I did this to avoid breaking any rules, so please do not ask me to include them.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-19 at 08:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Ecology of the Braxat

Huzzah! Another new ecology! I really hope you keep this up, LOTRfan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed, these are very cool. There should be way more of these.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you!

Ecology of the Flumph should be up later this week.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-18 at 08:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow, these ecologys you are pumping out are great, man!
    There realy needs to be a sort of contest for there things, considering they can give so much love to lesser used monsters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How many levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokon1 View Post
    Wow, these ecologys you are pumping out are great, man!
    There realy needs to be a sort of contest for there things, considering they can give so much love to lesser used monsters.
    Thanks. And I encourage anyone who wishes to make their own to do so. There is nothing better than expanded fluff for obscure monsters (according to me, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    How many levels?
    Five, but I wasn't sure if I should have included that in the actual description, as it makes it more obvious as to what is part of the monster, and what is natural for the creature (which is something I'd like to avoid, so as to not get in trouble). I forgot its spellcasting though, I'll add that in tomorrow.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I just added the animal companion, as well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Five, but I wasn't sure if I should have included that in the actual description, as it makes it more obvious as to what is part of the monster, and what is natural for the creature (which is something I'd like to avoid, so as to not get in trouble). I forgot its spellcasting though, I'll add that in tomorrow.
    Mmmmm. Good point ... I'll avoid asking that in the future. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I just added the animal companion, as well.
    Coolio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm almost done with Ecology of the Flumph. Does anyone have any specific requests for ecologies afterwards? Preferably, one that didn't have a 3.5 ecology article?

A full list can be found here.