New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Paladins in a horror setting

Ok, I'm reminded of an issue I had in my previous/first campaign. It ended up being a horror session that used and abused Shadows, Nightwings and a Nightwave (near the end), all inside a reality warping Genius Loci house on Carceri.

Anyway, the thing I ran into was one guy was playing a Paladin. Now, this is fine by itself. Heck, one of my favorite characters was a Paladin. The problem was the "Immunity to Fear" they get.

Now, I fully agree with immunity to fear spells and supernatural fear effects. But what about, say, the feeling that the house is trying to kill you, or the feeling that the shadows that you're seeing are moving on their own, and are massing just beyond your field of vision?

Basically, does immunity to fear (as per the Paladin class ability) affect becoming scared via conventional things and dread?
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Paladins in a horror setting

Way I see it, the Paladin's immunity to fear doesn't make them desentized to it; it's more that they've mastered their fear.

In other words, a paladin has the courage to stand alone against an innumerable horde of colossal zombie dragons. They'll probably be filled with fear, but they won't even shake.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Figgin of Chaos View Post
    Way I see it, the Paladin's immunity to fear doesn't make them desentized to it; it's more that they've mastered their fear.

In other words, a paladin has the courage to stand alone against an innumerable horde of colossal zombie dragons. They'll probably be filled with fear, but they won't even shake.
    I suppose that makes sense. The guy that was playing the Pally was doing so with next to no Genre Savvy. Not as bad as the other guy, Mr. "I read the giant, floating, glowing book".
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. I read it much the same. Paladins are still human, Xykon-esque Hannibal lectures on the subject notwithstanding. Their faith and moral fiber, and their fear of the consequences of failing said faith, is just stronger than any sort of other fear they could feel.

I like my paladins courageous. And you can't be courageous if the option of running away and hiding under your bed and letting someone else deal with it doesn't even occur to you. Heroism is always ultimately a choice.

... Bah. I'm in odd form tonight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Figgin of Chaos View Post

Exactly. See here for example: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0473.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.