New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default To start an adventure...

how do you like to start the first adventure in the story? Do you like to let them know the adventure is coming or do you like to spring the adventure on them? do you start people together or go through the meeting process?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: To start an adventure...

"Ok, so you're all in a tavern..."

I say that as a joke, but now as I think back on all of my campaigns, I can't immediately think of any that started differently than that... Yikes, that's both hilarious and depressing.

Ah well, I guess that goes to show that the start can pretty easily be out shadowed by the end. Although it never hurts to spice things up.

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

This really depends on how much work I feel like making for myself. Half the time I just start them in the proverbial tavern.

I generally like the players to come up with why they are working together. This tends to solve many of the early party conflicts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I've only used the tavern in a few campaigns. I prefer them just randomly meeting on the road to town/adventure site.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I usually say (depending on the size of the group), that each character must know two (or three, group size dependent) of the other characters in the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I have used the tavern as a starting point. Zombies attacked the townspeople outside and they all went out to fight the undead. But then the secretly-evil cleric commanded some zombies to join him back in the tavern and serve him drinks while the rest of the non-evil party fought throughout the town around the tavern.

Haven't used the tavern idea since.

The next time I just sunk a boat they all were riding on and had them wash up onshore days later. Also good times.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

i've used taverns, in the past, but in the past few years i usually had some other reason to bring the group together.
    but as to the OP's question- 2 times i had the adventure jump on the players (being attacked on the way to somewhere and so on), but most other times i preferred to let the players know what they are facing (otherthan the adventure's secrets of course). i get plenty of opportunities to surprise the party later on. the first adventure i usually designate for the party to learn how to work together.
    hope this answers your question

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I first ask the players what kind of campaign they want to play.

Then I get no answer and descide what kind of campaign we're going to play.

Next I ask them what kind of party they want to play.

Then I get no answer again, and decide for them what their party background is.

Next they make characters.

And then I start thinking about a plot and where the capiagn starts.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #9

My last few have been "you wake up in a dark room and are explained your mission", or some simple variation on that. This next one is going to start at the graduation ceremony of a hero's academy. The rest will be open-ended.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Throwing all the PCs (metaphorically) in the same boat then drilling a (still metaphorical) hole in it is a great way to go - decide what they all have in common, which might be as simple as they are all in the same place, and then threaten that thing.

I completely recommend starting off with "description, description, description, roll initiative!"
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I first ask the players what kind of campaign they want to play.

Then I get no answer and descide what kind of campaign we're going to play.

Next I ask them what kind of party they want to play.

Then I get no answer again, and decide for them what their party background is.

Next they make characters.

And then I start thinking about a plot and where the capiagn starts.
    Heh, that is EXACTLY the way it works for me too.

Though to expand, I have a rule now that all the party members must have known AT LEAST 2 other members, AND been on good terms, before the game starts. Preferably they have all been together at least a little while before it starts.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

12. - Top - End - #12

I've done the Tavern several times without problems. I know some have problems with the old stand by but IME players forget about it after a session or two.

The last I ran the character started as slaves of the Scarlet Brotherhood. "We are taking volunteers to go down this whole which no else has came back from. You, You, You and YOU are volunteers".