New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Samus Returns

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Samus Returns

Almost done with a normal 100% run, rather liking it. Up to the last last boss.

I was initially dubious about the melee counter mechanic, but wound up liking it. Solid remake game, though I wish I could remap controls at all, maybe use the d-pad to move rather than the stick.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Samus Returns

Just finished the 100% item run... took me thirteen hours. Apparently the item completion rate doesn't factor into the end-credits, but it does unlock gallery art.

MercurySteam does some pretty interesting boss fights, but that's almost all they have. I like how the counter-mechanic fits into the metroid battles--a nice risk/reward bit and makes Samus look real badass. The last fight had a bunch of those moments--even the last boss gets a couple if you don't evade properly.

Power bomb guardian ticked me off--took forever to figure out and there's no mid-boss-fight checkpoints.

The lack of the happy-mid-area music (you hear the remake around the first Aeion gate) made me sad. It's all moody incidental stuff between the areas instead of the "Yeah, we're making progress" the Game Boy version would give you in the areas that are all purply in this version.

Still, totally worth my money. I'm not sure if I'll dare hard mode--everything already hurts too much.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

This is the Metroid 2 remake on 3DS, right? If so, I bought it a few days ago but haven't got around to trying it out yet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Just finished the 100% item run... took me thirteen hours. Apparently the item completion rate doesn't factor into the end-credits, but it does unlock gallery art.

MercurySteam does some pretty interesting boss fights, but that's almost all they have. I like how the counter-mechanic fits into the metroid battles--a nice risk/reward bit and makes Samus look real badass. The last fight had a bunch of those moments--even the last boss gets a couple if you don't evade properly.

Power bomb guardian ticked me off--took forever to figure out and there's no mid-boss-fight checkpoints.
    I'm at about 11 hours at the last boss. 2nd to last boss took me 2 tries, but felt awesome, as opposed to the power bomb boss that took me many, man, tries, and felt like a grind.

Tip: If something's trying to pull/push you, spider ball can hold onto the ground. I didn't realize this until 2nd to last boss, and would have helped on power bomb boss.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    This is the Metroid 2 remake on 3DS, right? If so, I bought it a few days ago but haven't got around to trying it out yet.
    Yes.

I got 100% normal in just under 10 hours on my first run. Now I'm seeing how fast I can get through Hard on my second run... the Metroid counter's at 6 and I'm at just over 4 hours, so I'll probably jump back to Normal again to get a 4 hour run there rather than trying to get my time down on Hard alone.