Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DnD vs Parents

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default DnD vs Parents

I am having trouble persuading my parents that DnD != witchcraft. They are against the whole concept of magic, especially wizards and sorcerers, and they claim that it is too much like real-life witchcraft. Some articles on this issue would really help, as well as any advice. Thanks in advance.
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.
    Thanks to Ceika for the great avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: DnD vs Parents

"Real-life witchcraft"?
    Riiiight.

Try pointing out that Tolkien's work had wizards. Tolkien was a devout Catholic.
    Also, compare it to theater--they don't have any trouble seeing a play in which, say, murder is reenacted; why is this different?

Overall, though, if your parents actually believe in witchcraft and think it's evil and stuff... don't expect them to, y'know, be rational.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

*splutter* *laugh*

Withcraft? Real Life? You gotta be kidding me.

The Spooooooky Wizard isnt trying to haunt them...
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or how about C.S. Lewis? Even his fiction writings are largely embraced by Christian communities as wholesome and faith-based. And his books involve magic.

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm a parent. My son is 5. When he can actually read, I will be teaching him D&D.

My GF is a parent, her daughter is 8. She's already played in a game and complained that, as the princess daughter, she didn't get to do enough.

D&D != witchcraft. Trust me, in 23 years of playing, I've never once casted a fireball on my enemies, or found out how to fly.

So, I take it they won't let you watch Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings either?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Do they have a problem with Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter? Point out that what you're doing is acting out characters in a similar story.

Another option is to have a parent sit in on your game session. I know it would make the session kind of awkward, but it would let your parents see what you're actually doing and how harmless it is. The real problem is that they don't know what it is that you're doing so they assume the worst.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

7. - Top - End - #7

Ask them how they seem to know so much about real life witchcraft. Have they seen it? Do they know witches? Have they read books on it? Maybe they're actually witches themselves!!! WITCHES! QUIT TRYING TO COVER IT UP!!111oneleven

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

What? That's stupid. Do these same parents let you watch movies or read books involving similar concepts? Do they let you play games? Yes? Then inform them that DnD involves rolling dice for random results (I hit the goblin vs. I miss the goblin), and 'magic' is a set of game mechanics and rules. It's no differant from most of the computer and console games out there, except it's more flexible than your average computer game and lacks the neat graphics.

There is no witchcraft in DnD.
    Quote:
    One of the hardest parts of DMing is to give players a reason to railroad themselves.
    (Originally Posted by Rockphed)

Quote:
    You're making a reasonable and rational argument here, instead of pandering to the extremists on either side. Stop it. I'm pretty sure that's a banning offense on the internet.
    (Originally Posted by Swordguy)

9. - Top - End - #9

Aw, c'mon, there totally is.

"I don't want to be Elfstar anymore! I want to be Debbie!"

Edit: as a side note, Original Poster, your age seems to be 18. If that's the case, just wait until you go off to college.

10. - Top - End - #10

You could...you know, get them to read one of the book. Or am I being too naive about the whole idea?
    Brilliant Howler Avatar by Mephibosheth! HAIL! (I owe him a Divine Rank)&&&& Daveth

11. - Top - End - #11

Download the Dead Alewifes "Dungeons and Dragons" and "Dungeons and Dragons 2". Let them listen. Then... they will know.

"I attack the darkness!"

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Artisan
    You could...you know, get them to read one of the book. Or am I being too naive about the whole idea?
    Yes. If they do skim through the book, they'll just see "gods" and "succubi" and "magic".
    People who really believe in eeeeevil witchcraft are not reasonable people. You can't reason with them, because they're not basing their opinions on anything remotely approaching logic.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by The Logic Ninja

Yes. If they do skim through the book, they'll just see "gods" and "succubi" and "magic".
    People who really believe in eeeeevil witchcraft are not reasonable people. You can't reason with them, because they're not basing their opinions on anything remotely approaching logic.
    Quoted For Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Let them/force them to read the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Player's Handbook cover to cover...

Or record it on tape and give them the tape! ;D
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artisan
    You're being too niave.

You know that bit about D&D being too much like real witch craft has had to be one of the biggest laughs I've ever had on this board.

I can't really add any more to this discussion than has been said. All you can do is try and show them how it's really played.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma
    Or record it on tape and give them the tape! ;D
    And pray that they aren't very adept at tuning things out.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, instead of making fun of his parents, shouldn't we all be applauding, that his parents CARE enough to look into what he is doing? Mine did the same thing when I got into roleplaying in the mid 80's, and you know what, they found that there fears were misplaced and let me play. There are enough parents out there that don't care to look into what there kids do, and that it sickens me. We (the U.S.A., don't want to implicate those nations that don't have this issue) are way too fast becoming a society that expects other people and organizations to look after our kids so that we don't have to.
    <Gets off the soap box>

Anyway, he asked for articles for his parents to read.

The Pulling Report By Micheal Stackpole.
    A description of who Pat Pulling is.

There are a number of good resources for your parents to read at the local library, I know, I have written a couple papers for various classes when I went to school. I could get you the name of them, if you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Awakened Gelatinus Cube View Post
    -lituracy is never atomatic
    -"despell magic" is broken into despell magic 1-9
    -genisalt characters are allowed with an xp penilty.
    "When in doubt, set something on fire."

RIP: Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008) - May the world forever be changed by the things you have created.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf53226
    You know, instead of making fun of his parents, shouldn't we all be applauding, that his parents CARE enough to look into what he is doing?
    What? Hell, no! Are we going to applaud them for breathing next?

If as a parent you express caring by forbidding your child a game because it promotes real-life witchcraft, no, people bloody well shouldn't be applauding.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I have known real-life Wiccans. Not a single one of them ever tried to cast Magic Missile on me.

On a more serious note, explain that the premise of the adventures you're on is to defeat the bad guys.

Regarding the use of "magic," direct them to this quote, from Lord of the Rings:
    `Many things I can command the Mirror to reveal,’ she answered, `and to some I can show what they desire to see. But the Mirror will also show things unbidden, and those are often stranger and more profitable than things which we wish to behold. What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, things that yet may be. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look? ‘
    Frodo did not answer.
    `And you? ‘ she said, turning to Sam. ‘For this is what your folk would call magic. I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel. Did you not say that you wished to see Elf-magic? ‘

19. - Top - End - #19

Okay, yeah, it's real magic. D&D actually teaches people how to cast the spells contained therein.

This details how one man did it.(Or at least tried to.)Show your parents that, and they should at least get a laugh out of it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

If your parents think the Dungeons and Dragons magic system is similiar to real life witchcraft then they clearly don't know anything about witchcraft.

But you can always print out the wiki entry for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons
    "I still say Millikin is a placeholder for someone interesting." -- Valdayana D`Varr

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius
    I have known real-life Wiccans. Not a single one of them ever tried to cast Magic Missile on me.
    Yeah, that's because -they- don't know any -real witchcraft- either.

22. - Top - End - #22

Do you write? If so, I recommend approaching it from the angle that roleplaying games are like a form of collaborative fiction with a built-in way of avoiding arguments over whether the protagonists can do what their writers say they do or not. I have a friend who had this problem, and the approach seemed to be working. I also second Valadil's suggestion; the less you seem to be trying to hide, the more likely they are to listen. Secrecy raises suspicion.

If not, see if you can get them to rationalize how saying "I use this" and rolling dice is a gateway to witchcraft--I mean, I've never seen even the most fluff-happy player attempt to come up with specific rituals for these things. Guess I'm still trying to understand the logic process.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Whether or not the parents are being silly (and I definitely agree that they are), Genome has to deal with them. Meeting them on their terms is probably better than taking an argumentative stance.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

You know, instead of making fun of his parents, shouldn't we all be applauding, that his parents CARE enough to look into what he is doing?
    It is possible to take interest in what your child is doing without having to restrict what the child does. My parents took an active interest in what I did. While they didn't "get" DnD they saw what it was and didn't mind at all that I did it. If we pull the wool over our eyes and don't see the world how it is we are going to be ignorant and deprived people.

On a side note, Genome what part of PA do you live in? I lived near Gettysburg for a couple of years.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn
    Guess I'm still trying to understand the logic process.
    There's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius
    Whether or not the parents are being silly (and I definitely agree that they are), Genome has to deal with them. Meeting them on their terms is probably better than taking an argumentative stance.
    "Meeting them on their terms" meaning, what, not playing D&D? Yeah, I guess that's an option.

Genome's profile says he's 18. If that's the case, seriously--just wait until you go off to college. Then you can enact all the Satanic rituals you want. Just remember to use live babies.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

If as a parent you express caring by forbidding your child a game because it promotes real-life witchcraft, no, people bloody well shouldn't be applauding.
    Yes, we should applaud. Would you let your child play a game that promotes values against your own? Would you let your kid play games that lead to real life sex or drugs or violence? I would certainly hope not, and for those who would, I pray they never breed.

That said, does DnD promote values against those of most mainstream religions? Does it lead to real life sex and drugs and violence? A resounding no! Now lets help this chap figure out how to let his parents know what we all know, that it isn't evil. Thank you, wolfsomenumbers, for bringing it up.

I would describe a typical gaming session to them, and let them know what really happens, and let them sit in if they wish. Also, discuss with them the positive things gained from rpg'ing. Social interaction, teamwork, problem solving, mental exercise, empathy, resource management, decision making skills: all these qualities are side effects of a good rpg. Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by gtoast99
    Yes, we should applaud. Would you let your child play a game that promotes values against your own? Would you let your kid play games that lead to real life sex or drugs or violence? I would certainly hope not, and for those who would, I pray they never breed.
    Mm-hmm. And should we likewise applaud parents who won't let their daughter play with GI Joes/their son with barbies because then, y'know, s/he'll become homosexual? Or parents who deny their children medical treatment for religious reasons?
    Games don't "promote values", nor do they lead to real-life *anything*. As a parent, I'd realize that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piccamo
    It is possible to take interest in what your child is doing without having to restrict what the child does. My parents took an active interest in what I did. While they didn't "get" DnD they saw what it was and didn't mind at all that I did it. If we pull the wool over our eyes and don't see the world how it is we are going to be ignorant and deprived people.

On a side note, Genome what part of PA do you live in? I lived near Gettysburg for a couple of years.
    Ah, Pennsylvania, that explains a lot. (I'm originally from Erie myself - I know how ridiculous people can get in that part of the country). I don't want to get too personal here, but what religious denomination are your parents? That might help with how to frame the argument.

29. - Top - End - #29

And remember--if your parents offer you kool-aid?

Don't drink it. :P

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn
    Guess I'm still trying to understand the illogic process.
    Fixed it for ya ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh