New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Hey/ who is the Strongest God anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
    In all honesty, there's never been any stats posted of her, she's always been a deus ex machina, so she's as powerful as the plot demands.
    So in a "paint the fence" quest she's a very skilled painter?

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Or Ao's boss, who we only ever see in about two sentences but who is significantly more powerful?
    Oh, someone who knows. Thought no-one would remenber

By the way, my favourite divinity is FR's Chauntea. Best divine rank and plus she is, actually, the world. So uhm... killing her is destroying the world. Think twice

Anyway, deities are entities to be used with cleverness. If you treat them as a bunch of stats, you're gonna lose grasp with the setting (by 30° level, the chameleon PC in the party I master would be able to kill major gods as statted). Also, here and there is suggested that there is a "next level" over gods (Serpent, Lady of Pain, Ao's boss...)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ingus View Post
    So in a "paint the fence" quest she's a very skilled painter?
    And very good at karate, mind you.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ingus View Post
    Anyway, deities are entities to be used with cleverness. If you treat them as a bunch of stats, you're gonna lose grasp with the setting (by 30° level, the chameleon PC in the party I master would be able to kill major gods as statted).
    If a level 30 PC can kill major deities, you aren't playing the gods to their potential. Not even close.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
    In all honesty, there's never been any stats posted of her, she's always been a deus ex machina, so she's as powerful as the plot demands.
    Word of advice: never, ever start a big brawl in Sigil. we annoyed the Lady, so she gated every single party member into their own personal hell. Mine was a hall of mirrors in which my hideous appearance was reflected back onto me, slowly draining my STR over time.
    Last edited by dark.sun.druid; 2011-05-05 at 01:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

THOON..... thoon..... thoon
    Such a strong god he could be an idea.

or An uber god like the snake

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Any death diety as they can kill no save.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Where is s/he statted at?
    Deities and Demigods page 204.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

The strongest one is Pandorym - it's like incarnation of "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies", except for the whole setting!

Close second is Orcus with DvR - Last Word explicitly can kill anybody, no restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The strongest god you say? The Abyss.
    Yes! Except it usually sleeping...

P.S. Lady of Pain is overrated. Vecna almost offed her, and he's no overgod

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

In my game world, the Lady of Pain is the very incarnation of pain. She is "worshipped" by pain itself regardless of whether it is intended by the sufferer, traditional worship is abhorrent to her.
    Further to this, since pain and suffering are an inherent part of life, she has more "worshippers" than anyone and so is the most powerful 'god'. It is because of this power that Sigil was created to limit her influence since otherwise no other god could compete with her. The portals feed off her power, leeching her to keep her weakened and thus subdued.

Much like any incarcerated person though, she has become institutionalized and probably wouldn't leave Sigil even if she could. She has no real designs on taking any other deity's portfolio since that would require her to accept 'standard' worship. Essentially, she is the most powerful god but has no need for a church and no other god would dare enter Sigil to try and take her portfolio from her since they would be hopelessly outmatched. Stalemate.

She would consider herself opposed to Shar since the ending of everything would also end all pain. She is certainly opposed to Ilmater who attempts to ease suffering.

Since none can consciously worship her except possibly by the causing of pain, she has no place for her faithful dead to go to, instead preferring to let them enter the wall of the faithless where they will suffer eternal torment and continue to feed her with their "worship".

The only way to weaken her would be to end all suffering across all planes.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Brian Shaw... at least I'm fairly sure that he can't be human.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Has anyone noticed that the last post before today was made in 2011?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

In 3rd edition, the strongest are :
    1. Moradin
    2. Corellon Larethian
    3. Pelor
    4. Nerull
    5. Boccob.

All gods are way above Lords of Evil; people saying that Asmodee or Demogorgon are stronger just get out assertions just from their ass, and never read sources they're talking about.

1. Moradin is on par with Corellon concerning their ranking (19), and are the only 2 ones at this level. They both got the Salient Divine Ability (SDA) Annihilating Strike. They're both immune to their counterpart effect since they've the same ranking, and are the only ones to be immune to their respective strike. So any other god can be killed by Moradin or Corellon by one shot, if they miss their saving dice roll. Fortitude save DD to avoid annihilation : 20 + rank + damage dealt (both do maximum damage on dice roll since they're greater deities).
    So Moradin's opponent must do : 20 + 19 + 52 = 91
    Corellon's opponent must do : 20 + 19 + 44 = 83
    Some gods can avoid instant death, since they have the SDA Craft Artifact to improve their defense. These gods are : Boccob, Nerull, Pelor, Wy-Djaz. Moradin can create artefact too, but not Corellon. So Boccob, Nerull, Pelor, and Wy-Djaz are the only gods (with Moradin obv.) who could survive to Corellon's hits. None of them (excepted Corellon) could survive to Moradin's hits (he can improve his damage with his artifacts nearly as much as they can improve their defense, and he makes too much damage basically).

Now, concerning the match Moradin vs Corellon : once more, Moradin can create epic-like artefacts of all sorts, while Corellon can only create standards (magic) weapons.
    Plus, Moradin has the SDA Divine Earth Mastery which increases Attack, Damage, and Armor (by 19) if both opponents touch the floor. Note that, thanks to this SDA, he's the only one to have gold at will (he can turn lead into gold, or in any other metal).
    With these SDA advantages, he has a better attack, defense, and makes much more damage than Corellon. + he has the SDA Divine Fast Healing (39).

His Avatars, who also count as their overall power (if they fight, they would both use them) are strong enough to touch Corellon, even more if Moradin give them artefacts, which he would do (he just needs some weeks at most to build very a powerful artefact, and we can consider they have centuries to build enough weapons/artefacts/creatures to improve their power/army).
    They have at disposal 30 000xp per week (cfr. p29 of "Gods and deities" book), so their utilisation of miracle to both heal them completely is limited. Other healing spells aren't powerful enough to counter the damage they can do in melee during a round. At the end, Moradin wins, with probably more than 10 avatars alive (while Corellon would lose his 20 and die if they even would fight to death).

2. The other fights between the other gods would follow pretty the same schema : the SDA would make the biggest difference. Pelor is a better fighter than the others, and is immune to the magic of Boccob and others. Anyway their spells are nearly useless compared to their SDA, particularly because they all have Alter Reality which do the same, at will. The only excpetion concenrs Boccob and Wy-Djaz who have fast invocation of their spells, but this doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't pass the MR of their opponents, so would use it only to improve their own abilities.
    Actually, the magic is more useful concerning their avatars, since they don't have the SDA Alter Reality. Spells which would be usefull vs beings which are not gods (less MR).
    Last edited by dupondavignon; 2020-03-12 at 10:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    Is it St. Cuth?
    I don't have all their stats memorized but in deities and demigods thor is freaking terrifying. most gods who have strength/combat as part of their motiff have strength around 50, thor is like 98. Greater gods like him get 20's on everything and only roll to confirm crits. He could smash just about anything into paste. They don't give example of what boccob's 15th or whatever levels spell are but at that high a level they got to be nearly an I win button.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The Mod Life Crisis:Not even a god is strong enough to counter Thread Necromancy!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link