Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Mundus Primordialis: Expanding the Inner Planes

I personally thought that the Monastary of Silent Sound could be more...Mystical. I like the idea but it doesn't paint a picture that seems terribly amazing. If I were to offer a suggestion about this particular one it would be to find a way to make actually silent sound to build the monastery out of; walls of force containing walls of sound (wall of fire with energy sub) that let you hear the sound only when you touch the wall or something. It would look like the walls are pulsating but silent from a distance and touching them would let you listen to particular forms of trapped music. Then steps made of different forms of sound could be used to make a symbolic staircase to enlightenment where an initiate sits on a sound step until they "understand" the sound (leveling) and move onto the next step to do the same all the way up to Hvark, whose step reveals his voice and teachings if you have understood all of the other steps.

For a PC to get to Hvark they must be either a Bard or a Monk and sit on a sound step long enough (1 week) to get a +1 bonus to perform. They then leave until they have gained a level and return to the next step. 15 levels of steps later and they can talk to Hvark and gain a permanent +30 to perform on top of the +15 permanent bonuses from the steps.

This is probably a bad idea but something that combined sound and silence would make it a better entry. I love Gwond by the way :D

Filthy Yellow Edgar

The Deep Ethereal ain't a place that's easy to get around in, berk. The Borders not so bad, but once you get into the Deep it can drive a cutter mad finding a curtain outta there. There was one blood that knew the dark of the place though, cutter by the name of Filthy Yellow Edgar. Filthy Yellow Edgar was a bubber who would show clueless around the ethereal for some jink, because he knew where every curtain and demiplane was and could avoid trouble. But he had a nasty habit of peeling bashers who were tougher then he was, and would show up looking like a slab of meat. One day he bobbed a Necromancer who didn't take kindly too it, and the necromancer killed him and brought him back as a Wight. He chained Edgar to the wheel of a ship and left him in the Deeps to rot for eternity. Why a ship? No idea, the berk musta been barmy. But Edgar knew the dark of the place better then anyone, and he sailed the ship out of the Deeps through a curtain, and wasn't seen from again. The ship came back though, and it was changed though. Whole thing is covered in some weird black vine that grabs people and when they been grabbed they turn into wights and go into the ship to disappear the same way Edgar did, or so the chant goes. I hear that the dark of it is that Filthy Yellow Edgar is the ship now, and the Wights are bound into the ships' hull to keep it alive. That thing can go anywhere Filthy Yellow Edgar could, so I have been told, and there wasn't many places he couldn't go. (sorry about my atrocious accent).
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2011-05-11 at 02:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The Boneyard of Dust:

Not far from where Earth finally relinquishes its last grasp and you are fully in the Quasielemental Plane of Dust one can come upon a massive skeleton. Over fifty miles long, the skeleton is of some unknown cetacean creature of immense girth. Whether this is the corpse of some as of yet unknown species of behemoth native to the Quasielemental Plane, or perhaps a creature native to the Prime Material, it is said that some beasts large enough for entire planets to sit on the back of exist in that realm.

Whatever the nature of the creature, what is known is that its skeleton rests in the quasielemental plane apparently unharmed by the disintegrating nature of the plane, though that might be more do to its bulk than any particular immunity. The disintegrating nature of the plane is unaffected near the skeleton, although one can tunnel within it to escape the effect, apparently after one or two turnings it will block off that natural feature of the plane. Several such tunnels already exist, and one should be warned they can be dangerous as various creatures, both native and foreign, lair within these tunnels. In fact there is a divine realm, a kobold city, and a dwarven fortress scattered throughout the skeleton.

The skeleton creates objective directional gravity, meaning that its nearest surface is in effect the ground (allowing 3 dimensional construction within the bones), and this gravity extends 100-ft from the skeleton, making it dangerous to approach as for the last 100-ft unless you were prepared with flying magic you will fall striking stone-hard bone.

The quasielementals of the plane avoid this place, possibly a reason it has lasted so long as normally they’ll destroy a large accumulation of matter that manages to find its way into the plane. The reason for this is, as of yet, unknown. Even so dangerous creatures can be found in the bones, including creatures uniquely adapted to it called dust spiders. Eight-legged, but with only a single body segment that serves as body and head, these creatures spin webs through some of the tunnels and between the ribs of the bones forming the Great Web within its ribcage. This Great Web, miles long and across, is filled with these beasts and the accumulated wealth of those who have died within it. It is said that at the heart of this web there is a portal, but different sources say that it leads to the Demonweb Pits, the Far Realm, or even a wholly different cosmology. The venom of dust spiders can be put to constructive purposes as it protects the recipient from disintegration, but it comes at a dangerous cost. Alchemists have managed to negate most of the destructive aspects, but raw materials are hard to come by and the expense is great. Even so it is a non-magical way to be protected from the destructive nature of the plane, and valuable to any seeking to use anti-magic in this realm.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I personally thought that the Monastary of Silent Sound could be more...Mystical. I like the idea but it doesn't paint a picture that seems terribly amazing. If I were to offer a suggestion about this particular one it would be to find a way to make actually silent sound to build the monastery out of; walls of force containing walls of sound (wall of fire with energy sub) that let you hear the sound only when you touch the wall or something. It would look like the walls are pulsating but silent from a distance and touching them would let you listen to particular forms of trapped music. Then steps made of different forms of sound could be used to make a symbolic staircase to enlightenment where an initiate sits on a sound step until they "understand" the sound (leveling) and move onto the next step to do the same all the way up to Hvark, whose step reveals his voice and teachings if you have understood all of the other steps.

For a PC to get to Hvark they must be either a Bard or a Monk and sit on a sound step long enough (1 week) to get a +1 bonus to perform. They then leave until they have gained a level and return to the next step. 15 levels of steps later and they can talk to Hvark and gain a permanent +30 to perform on top of the +15 permanent bonuses from the steps.

This is probably a bad idea but something that combined sound and silence would make it a better entry. I love Gwond by the way :D
    Thanks, sorry it took so long to reply but I wanted to see if more responses would be added and allow me to respond to all of them at once.

I agree it needs to be more mystical, but I was trying to avoid too much flashy magic as I didn't want to make it have a Wizard-built vibe. Even so I do need to redo it. I am going to avoid the bonus to Perform for 2 reasons: 1) +45 is too high, it makes putting ranks in it pretty much pointless; 2) same reason I try to avoid too many mechanical notes on any of this (there have been some small ones such as the Music Hall's) so that the DM can have it function without feeling constrained. And kind of 3) Honestly I don't think Hvark has found the sound of silence; one should always remember chant is chant.

Filthy Yellow Edgar

The Deep Ethereal ain't a place that's easy to get around in, berk. The Borders not so bad, but once you get into the Deep it can drive a cutter mad finding a curtain outta there. There was one blood that knew the dark of the place though, cutter by the name of Filthy Yellow Edgar. Filthy Yellow Edgar was a bubber who would show clueless around the ethereal for some jink, because he knew where every curtain and demiplane was and could avoid trouble. But he had a nasty habit of peeling bashers who were tougher then he was, and would show up looking like a slab of meat. One day he bobbed a Necromancer who didn't take kindly too it, and the necromancer killed him and brought him back as a Wight. He chained Edgar to the wheel of a ship and left him in the Deeps to rot for eternity. Why a ship? No idea, the berk musta been barmy. But Edgar knew the dark of the place better then anyone, and he sailed the ship out of the Deeps through a curtain, and wasn't seen from again. The ship came back though, and it was changed though. Whole thing is covered in some weird black vine that grabs people and when they been grabbed they turn into wights and go into the ship to disappear the same way Edgar did, or so the chant goes. I hear that the dark of it is that Filthy Yellow Edgar is the ship now, and the Wights are bound into the ships' hull to keep it alive. That thing can go anywhere Filthy Yellow Edgar could, so I have been told, and there wasn't many places he couldn't go. (sorry about my atrocious accent).
    I'll add a link. Was undecided on whether to explore the Ethereal or not in this, but it does provide the link to the Inner Planes. Personality or plot-hook?
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2011-05-16 at 02:00 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Allestra

Allestra is one of the Four Sisters of Light. Four unique beings that dwell on the positive quasielemental planes. The graybeards haven't decided yet whether they're closer to the genies, daos and all those, or to fey, some type of elemental nymphs; whichever they are there beauty is something of local legend and even renowned on some prime material planes. There existence has led some graybeards to rattle their bone-boxes about how there must be four similar beings on the negative quasielemental planes; Four Sisters of Night as they've termed them, but no one has ever verified this yet.

Allestra lives on the quasielemental plane of mineral, and appears as a beautiful woman. Her skin is the texture and color of pure platinum, her hair is living, growing gold, her lips ruby, and her eyes lustrous sapphires. In fact although few Cagers would recognize her name, many have heard the poems of Aegin Clares famed tiefling poet whose most famous work, The White Goddess was a volume of love poetry dedicated to Allestra.

Allestra lives deep within the Plane of Mineral and one can tell that they have found her domain due to a reduction, or total absence, of dao, and an increase in the natural mephits of the plane who seem to wait upon her as if she were there queen.

Allestra lacks any political aspirations, showing some at least lip service loyalty towards Crystalle, although her power is said to be phenomenal. It is, at least, enough to scare the dao away from her territory. She does little, spending her time enjoying herself among the crystals and gems of her home plane. Occasionally she will go to the Slag Marshes for mud bathes in its sloppy sea, although this requires passing through the dangerous Sparkle Mire, and at other times she will head towards the other planar borders, mainly those of Radiance and Positive Energy where the gems are even more lustrous.

Allestra will rarely appear before mortals except those that have been petrified, enslaved by dao, or males of extraordinary beauty. The first she like to returns to their fleshy state, some of these unlucky sods have been stone for centuries before Allestra finds them and saves them. The second she will often free, or at least do her best to save, as she seems to have a distaste for both dao and slavery. The last she will talk with, and occasionally she has been known to take them back with her to her caves as lovers.

Allestra's cavern is a natural air pocket in the middle of Mineral, with a small vortex to the plane of Water which creates a simple stream. This stream continues all the way to the Slag Marshes where it mixes into the plane of Ooze, although following it is difficult unless you can pass through the solid stone and gems of Mineral. The cavern is filled with the gems which make up the plane, but it also has had furnishing installed to make it more ameniable to mortals and travellers.

Allestra shares her home with around six mephits, though the number fluctuates as old ones leave and new ones come to stay, and her son Adron Shinehammer. Adron is a mineral genasi paladin, who is not the most approving of his mother's lovers, and who would probably not approve of his own father the aforementioned tiefling poet.

Current Projects:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

The Shadow Maelstrom:

Within the “depths” of the Elemental Plane of Water is a region known as the Shadow Maelstrom. Connected to the Demon Sea on the Abyss, and bordering somehow on the plane of shadow, this region is a dangerous one where evil creatures of the sea gather. Demons, aboleths, and other evil aligned aquatic creatures can commonly be found here. The Shadow Maelstrom itself has the minor evil-aligned planar trait, and is conterminous with a portion of the plane of shadow allowing spells with the Shadow subschool to be cast when within its borders.

The Shadow Maelstrom presents a number of dangers besides the denizens of the sea itself. The area gets its name because of the power flows of water that surround it; the outer 100-ft of the miles long sphere that makes up the Maelstrom all flow in the same direction, pulling inwards even as it sweeps creatures along to the side of the sphere. These currents tend to reach speeds of over 100-ft a round, making it impassible to all but the strongest swimmers. Even within the outer shell currents in the maelstrom are still strong pulling in various directions giving even natives difficulty when positioning in combat. In addition to the dangerous speeds of the currents one must also be careful because in the Shadow Maelstrom, unlike the majority of the plane, one can feel crushing pressure of water. This pressure is stable at the same crushing force one would suffer 200-ft beneath the surface on a prime world, and is not apparent in the outer shell.

These are only the more mundane of the physical hazards associated with the Shadow Maelstrom, and travelers can expect other supernatural dangers as well. Two stand out.

Dead Waters: These regions, touched by the Abyss, are always surrounded by a sphere of currents that pushes creatures in at a rate of 100+ feet per round. Once in the sphere, which can range from a few feet to hundreds of yards in length, the creature finds itself in an area lacking currents but bombarded with the dark energies of the Abyss. Any creature within this area takes 8d6 damage per round; evil or chaotic creatures suffer only half this damage, and chaotic evil creatures suffer only one-fourth. Each round a creature may make a Fortitude save (DC 12 to 24 depending on strength of abyssal energy in the area) to half this damage, or in the case of a chaotic evil creature negate it entirely. Creatures with the Evil subtype are immune to this effect.

Dark Waters: Areas in closer contact with the Plane of Shadow, but almost as dangerous as the Dead Waters. These areas are absolutely devoid of light, dampening even magical light sources (non-magical light does not function, magical light only produces shadowy illumination out to its normal bright illumination area). In addition this area is deathly cold, (below -50 degrees Fahrenheit), and home to undead shadows and wraiths which can live comfortably in the pressure and water. It is possible to accidentally cross over to the conterminous portions of the plane of shadow within these regions. This portion of the plane of shadow, or second plane of shadow, has not yet been fully explored and might show numerous insights into the make-up of the planes.

Current Projects:

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Do you want us to post stats for entities and their minions?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Vorgeth, the City of the Burning Sarcophagus

In the quasielemental plane of Ash, near where ash starts to give way to Vacuum becoming the Sparkling Vast in one direction and giving way to Smoke to become the Embers in another, there lies a strange city. So close to Smoke and Vacuum the Ash of the plane starts to give way more and more to airy pockets, though few cutters can breathe easy the place is still so thick with ash. In one of these pockets a lucky basher can hope to find his way to the city of Vorgeth. Founded by a neraph (see Planar Handbook) explorer generations back, Vorgeth is better known as the City of the Burning Sarcophagus. See the city was built around a massive obsidian structure covered in blue-green flames. Can’t tell a cutter whether it’s the nature of the flames or the plane but the flames don’t seem to give heat if they aren’t touched but only a berk would touch the flames; they’ve been known to burn an efreet to nothing but ashes.

So why is a city built ‘round this sarcophagus? Well like I said it might be the plane that stops the flames from givin’ heat but somethin’ ‘bout the flames stop the plane from taking it. The whole area is a warm spot in ash, and those are worth a traveler’s while. The heat sapping effect is weakened as far as four miles out, and some people even grow plants adapted to the plane there, ash carrots they’re called. The soil isn’t the best for them, too warm, but it’s also warm enough for common bashers to work there and that matters more than you’d think. These ash carrots eat the cold, making it even warmer, not that many complain just ‘cause the place won’t freeze an open flame doesn’t stop it from bein’ chill enough a man wouldn’t mind something hot in his stomach and a few extra layers.

As you get in closer to the city you can find some real civilization, a rare gem on any of the Inner Planes ‘cept Air and a rarer one still on one of the negative planes. Inns cater to travelers, though one has to be careful for the knights of the cross-trade that fill the place; some’ll just cheat you, others’ll gut you straight out. The city is dominated by the Bazaar of Cinders, a place ran by the efreeti Jhorus. Jhorus is a jovial chap by efreet standards, most people say he’s a likable basher and whether he’s evil or not there’s plenty a good man in the burg that’d be willin’ to risk their neck for his should a paladin try and stir up problems. The chant is that Jhorus used to be one of the Sultan of Brass’s bosom companions, and did somethin’ to cross the fiery prince and now the Sultan wants him dead. Whatever the truth, Jhorus readily admits he ain’t really a kind hearted soul but does his best to be a “valuable commodity to the community” cause someone wants him dead and if people need you they’re more likely to protect you. Whatever the dark of who is after him, Jhorus hasn’t been known to cheat a basher yet and he’s hard on crime and violence in the bazaar; not a few people have said that whoever or whatever it is Jhorus is hiding from has to be a bloody fearsome basher if the efreeti is scared of him. Now a canny blood would tell you it’s not likely that Jhorus is hidin’ from the Sultan. You see, in addition to his valuable role in building the community, and a profitable one it is to look at his palace built from materials important from across the Outer Planes, Jhorus sells wishes once a year and doesn’t seem able to grant more than that. You don’t know how that shows he ain’t scared of the Sultan? Well ya see the Sultan doesn’t exactly approve of this, and every few years a group of efreet or their mercenaries will come and try to get rid of Jhorus and he hasn’t paid the music yet. If a basher is in the burg at the right time and has the jink it’s worth getting in on the bidding, a wish is a powerful thing, and a rich enough blood could get three right easy from him.

The other big man in town is Ib’piquan. While it’s odd to see an efreeti out this deep into Ash, they don’t like the chill of the place, Ib’piquan is something else entirely. An ooze paraelemental that shaped itself into the rough approximation of a gigantic dwarf, beard of writhing worms and all, Ib’piquan considers himself the King of Vorgeth and it’s true enough. I don’t know the dark of how the ooze got to Ash or got into power, but power he has. That said as long as you treat the ooze paraelemental with respect Ib’piquan will give a basher an honest chance and honest ear. He won’t risk the township for you, but he’s one of the nicer rulers you’ll find in Ash, much better than the Baron of Cinders a little ways Smoke-wards. He cares, even if he limits himself to his citizens. Just a warning, though, don’t be a berk and insult his dignity or honor; the blood takes these seriously and he’s beaten down at least one efreet bounty hunter gang for such a slight.

I guess that just leaves the Sarcophagus itself. Well there ain’t much known ‘bout it. Chant says it holds a dead god of fire, killed by mortal heroes of some Prime and sealed away in the Sarcophagus for eternity to prevent him from burnin’ away the world; supposedly some addle-coved or brave bashers went inside and found this all out by lookin’ at the corpse. I know I for one don’t believe the tale, too many details for just a glance, but I can’t say what is in there. The flames burn through anything I know of trying to reach inside, though I’m sure a canny enough cutter could find a way they always do. Just don’t let Ib’piquan get wind of such a plan, the King doesn’t like anything messing with the Sarcophagus; way he sees it anybody that disturbs it is putting the entire city at risk by threatening to destroy the sustaining flames, or waking whatever is inside. The citizens themselves give the Sarcophagus wide berth; it’s said that anybody who lives near the Sarcophagus for too long finds themselves cursed; houses built too close end up abandoned or destroyed, and their inhabitants dead or missing.

Current Projects:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jasonguppy View Post
    Do you want us to post stats for entities and their minions?
    Since I apparently missed this when I ran away from the forums for a while, to answer it for anyone else who is wondering (or jasonguppy if he still cares): Feel free to go ahead, I'm fine with that.

Also apparently I'm going to be expanding on this again

Current Projects:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Bethil the Ferrywoman:

Sailing the Saline Sea that marks the edge between Water and Salt, Bethil is an expert on the area. A Clueless by birth, Bethil is the child of a union between two worlds the sea and the land. Fully elven, her father was an aquatic elf war-champion, her mother a high elf sorceress. Bethil herself has lived in the Saline Sea for longer than any humans in the region can remember, long enough that even the mephitis and elementals accept her as a native feature.

So you’re asking me why I’m being so long winded about some she-elf out of her native homeworld? Well ok I guess I should tell you why you care. Bethil runs a service in the Saline Sea acting as guide to bashers who need a path about the region. Bethil is one of the more reliable guides in the area, and known for being able to penetrate deep into Salt on whatever tendrils of water etch into it rare as they are. Now of course there are other guides and a basher might want to hire another, got to keep the market competitive and all, but for a Cipher Bethil serves an extra purpose. See Bethil joined the Transcendent Order in her youth, it was a spur of the moment decision but Bethil has never been the kind to let herself regret those and she still thinks kindly of the Faction so a Cipher planning a trip into Salt or the Saline Sea could do worse than talking to Bethil, she knows more of the dark of the place than most and her fair share of chant as well and she’s got a loose tongue where her faction brothers are concerned. And if you decide to hire her services tell her I sent her, I could use the good feelings that’ll generate.

Oh yeah, recently she’s been bringing reports of armies amassing in Salt. Now at first these were dismissed as nothing strange, Salt is always full of such, but the creatures this time seem different than most. See many of Salt’s denizens can’t survive too much water, it kills ‘em as surely as too little kills me and probably you, but these facets (see the 2e Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III for more details) absorb water to duplicate and if the information is true then there might be some serious threat from their invasion plans. I know Ben-Hadar, prince of good water, has offered a reward on information about their plans and if you’re interested Bethil might be a good place to start looking.

Current Projects:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

The Seven Knives of Dust

On the borders of Dust and Magma, in the Sands a place relatively hospitable for both planes, a blood can contact the Seven Knives of Dust. Chant has it this band of assassins was originally a group of fiends that turned stag from the Blood War after a battle spilled them into Dust. The dark of the matter is a little less certain, as stories told about the Seven describe them as varied individuals. Some say they’re shape-shifters, others that whenever a member of the Seven dies they’re replaced by a new recruit, and still others just say that their name is a lie to make berks underestimate them and they number far more than merely seven. Whatever the truth only one member is the same in all these tales, Riena.

Chant says Riena was a succubus once, and from the descriptions I’ve heard of her I can believe it. She’s said to be a gorgeous woman, well if you don’t mind them having horns, a tail, and flesh made of cracked and dried earth. She usually appears to be about 5’8” but reports tell of her growing to 11’ or more. If she ever had normal wings they’ve vanished in her time in dust and now her Cloak of Dust has merged with her becoming both garment and wings. Her tail is almost as long as she is tall and whip-like striking quickly with the force to break stone, and her head has 2 large, spiraling horns. Where her skin is cracked and dried earth her eyes are pits of blackness, a berk who stares into them won’t see himself reflected there and I’d not stare at a fiend assassin; it sounds deadly. Riena serves as the contact for the Knives, anyone wanting to hire them must track her down. Of course it’s not too hard, go to a sizable outpost in the Sands, or even in Earth near the boundary of Dust and Fire-wards, and start asking about the Knives. Riena will come, and you better be ready to hire their services, cause they don’t like people poking around their business who aren’t.

To hire the Knives requires a fair bit of jink. They’re premier assassins even among the planar ones, competing with the various bands of the Lower Planes. Of course those who hire them have a few reasons. The first can be location. I mean sure it’d be easier to find contracts in Sigil, but not everyone on the Inner Planes can reach Sigil, but due to movement in the planes, if you’re on Earth or Magma you can eventually reach Dust and some people just figure that the assassins of Dust can make it around the Inner Planes better than some berks from the Abyss; they aren’t necessarily wrong either. The second is that they’re not tied to the Blood War. Sure chant says they’re deserters, but whatever they once were they don’t play sides in it any longer. See the baatezu bloods don’t quite trust loth assassins to do a job that’ll hurt the tanar’ri too bad so look to their own internal assassins or third parties for such jobs; Bel isn’t a bubber he’s noticed that when they hire a loth assassin all too often the target happens to hire a loth bodyguard and its happened too often over the years for the blood to put it off as mere coincidence. The third is that they’re not tied to the fiends in general. Riena may or may not be a former succubus, but some folks decide that the Seven are probably more trustworthy than a group that plays kip with the fiends. Can’t say if they’re right, but the Seven Knives still get people coming from across the planes, Inner and Outer, to hire their services.

Their members are supposed to carry two symbols of their membership. The first one is their cloaks, called Cloaks of Dust chant says every member of the Knives wears one and that these protect a basher from even the worst natural effects of Dust, going above and beyond most adaptation magic that only protects against normal effects of the plane and do nothing for say a storm which has intensified power. The Cloaks are also said to allow flight, at least in a plane with no gravity like Dust and some say in certain other planes or even wherever they may be. What other powers their brown cloak might have the greybeard aren’t sure, only their wearers know for sure and maybe not even those. Their other symbol is their Dust Knives. Made of varell crystal* these long knives are said to be carried by each and every member and used to end the lives of their marks, or desecrate their bodies afterwards.

*Varell crystal: This rare crystal found forming around dead earth elementals in Dust is sometimes used to make weapons. Weapons made from the material are brittle and relatively fragile compared to steel or even stone, but they are still valuable due to their ability to bypass regeneration and the additional difficulty in resurrecting a creature slain by such a weapon. Varell crystal does have one sizable disadvantage it is the essence of the dissolution of the physical form captured in between the solidity of Earth and the absolute destruction of Dust and weapons made from it cannot hurt those who are not corporeal no matter what the enchantment.

One third of damage from a varell crystal weapon ignores regeneration and damage reduction regardless of its type (though the remaining damage is reduced by DR normally so unless more than 2/3rds of your damage was negated by DR this latter has no effect) and any creature slain by a varell crystal weapon cannot be raised or resurrected unless the originator of those effects makes a DC 15 Charisma check, the same caster cannot try again until they have gained a level but other casters may try freely. An attack with a varell crystal weapon has a 0% chance of harming an incorporeal creature and cannot be made ghost touch. Bludgeoning weapons cannot be made from varell crystal. Varell crystal weapons cost 8000 more gold than usual weapons of their type, and have a hardness of 8 and half the hp of a steel weapon.

The DM’s Dark of the Knives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’m going to have to break character here. I don’t usually put in the dark, or secret truth, behind these things because I’d rather leave them as rumors, potential plot hooks but where everything in them might be wrong so that you can pick and choose what to include; some of it is even intended to be wrong, but I won’t say what.

So here I’m going to give two versions of the Dark behind the Knives of Dust. You can take one, take the other, mix them together, abandon both and make up your own thing. One of these IS what I would use in a game, though.

Version 1:
    Riena is the Knives. The entire legend of the Knives, their cloaks, their weapons, their origin, and their numbers were fabricated whole cloth. Riena is the result of a particularly bloody battle of the Blood War that much is true, but she was none of the combatants. The battle created a vortex to the Plane of Dust and dozens of fiends were sucked through, but that didn’t stop the fighting. The essence of the fiends who died in Dust didn’t make it back to the Outer Planes, though, and instead were trapped there. Several breeds of tanar’ri, and a few baatezu, naturally reform after death and they followed their nature, but due to being trapped in a rare supernatural configuration of Dust they fused into one being, Riena. Riena set herself up as “the Seven Knives of Dust” using her shapeshifting abilities and some unique powers to run a successful assassination business. Riena enjoys murder, killing initially for the pure pleasure of it. Now, though, she’s taking to supporting Ogremoch in his plans to conquer Earth; while she does her best not to reveal the knives are taking sides in the archomentals’ fights, the money going into them is almost all ending up in Ogremoch’s war coffers. The rest is being spent on expansion. Riena has decided it’s time to make the Seven Knives be a real thing, and has been offering assassins the cloak and knife, telling them they’re replacing a dead member of the original Seven but Riena has already made a whole suit of cloaks and knives and it’s unlikely that she’ll be stopping at Seven. Riena is also trying to get herself situated closer with Ogremoch, attempting to position herself as his consort and rule Earth and Dust as his queen if he ever wins his fight, and be ready to overthrow him the moment he does if she can’t control him.

Version 2:
    The original Seven Knives were a group of fiends from the Blood War. Only three of these original fiends still exist, and each of them has been twisted in some rather serious ways. Riena was a succubus, a tanar’ri scout, but while she’s the company’s face she’s not their leader. That designation goes to Almazaral, the amnizu wizard who made peace between the seven fiends in an attempt to survive Dust and who made the Cloaks of Dust. The original 7 Cloaks actually served to merge the essences of the fiends with the plane causing some mutations, such as Riena’s new form, and Almazaral himself to become a vast, sapient, cloud of dust in the heart of the plane. Almazaral never truly turned against the baatezu, but having allied with tanar’ri to survive the amnizu needed to bring them back some pretty hefty power for them to accept him. This has led to Almazaral’s ongoing magical research, research that led to his new form. Now Almazaral cannot leave the Plane of Dust, but the fiend wants home so he’s been studying how to move either the whole plane, or a large chunk of it, into Baator, possibly creating a 10th layer of Hell. Almazaral thinks he has a way, but it requires a lot of magic, a lot of magical items, and at least one major artifact to power it. Should he succeed there’s no telling what the effect would be to the planes, both Inner and Outer, or to the Blood War. If Almazaral succeeds even if it didn’t make a new layer (as he hopes) it would almost certainly give birth to entirely new breeds of baatezu.

To accomplish his goals Almazaral uses the Knives; who actually number closer to fifty members than seven. The Knives themselves do not know of Almazaral’s existence, except for Riena and the other founding member, nor do they know of the more insidious enchantments on their cloaks. The Cloaks of Dust in addition to granting immunity to the sands of dust, and a variety of other enchantments depending upon the cloak, also allow Almazaral to track their location regardless of what plane they are on, and slowly re-write the wearer into loyalty to Almazaral and his plans (similar to Programmed Amnesia or Mindrape). Almazaral will work with the tanar’ri, until he can get back into Baator with the power to become a new Lord of the Ten or at least Nine he’s willing to do whatever it takes to amass that power. He also knows there’s a chance his plan for returning home will fail and if it does he wants to at least set himself up as the unrivalled power in Dust and Archomental of Evil Dust. Already he’s learned that he can control creatures of Dust through the evil in their hearts, although good aligned ones have proven completely immune (this is a compulsion effect that leaves an enduring charm effect and a permanent shift in alignment towards evil when used on neutral creatures).

I will be doing something different soon and detailing a few potential members of the Seven Knives using classes either from the next Base Class Contest (if it's what I expect it will be) or other homebrew (if it is not). These will be built with some plot powers in addition to class features/racial features, and not necessarily optimized builds (they'll be built to function as planar assassins) but I just thought it would be fun.

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So I've been meaning to register on here for years and finally decided to.

I really love this thread, glad to see it revived. I don't know enough To really write any great homebrew (new to that) but I had some questions/ideas/requests I guess you could say.

Vacuum: such a great plane, really love the vibe, any idea on further landmarks in it? Maybe there are floating islands that are chunks of other planes that have been accidentally teleported here in cosmic battles, or whole cities that believed to be vanished were actually moved to this void. Also had a thought on a large structure (read space ship) inhabited by constructs wandering aimlessly, maybe like a group of zen monks seeking peace in the void.

Also, have you thought of adding plane touched races or subtypes for each area? (think those would be cool, not sure if they exist).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Taljoc: A Knife of Dust

Taljoc, born Trios, is a member of the misnamed organization the Seven Knives of Dust. The earth genasi had always possessed considerable natural talent and power, but as the child of a disgraced dao he was born a slave. Taljoc’s power was insufficient to earn him his freedom, much less a comfortable life. This changed when one of the Seven Knives slew the dao that had owned Taljoc.

Taljoc spent the next two years fighting to maintain his new found liberty. Taljoc found that his skills let him move through the earth as easily as a full-blooded dao, if not more easily, to hear their movements, and striking from the earth itself obliterate those who tried to hunt him. When the dao decided to hire the Knives to slay this man who hunted them with impunity, Riena decided upon a better plan; she recruited him. Faking his death Trios took the name Taljoc and became a loyal member of the assassin’s guild.

Taljoc himself is infatuated with Riena, serving her loyally. His secret desire as a member of the Seven Knives is to win her heart, and he pays careful attention to her actions trying to discover how to woo the unique entity. This close attention has made Taljoc realize that Riena loves another, though he has yet to discover who this lover is, and this knowledge fills him with a flame of resentful jealousy deep in his heart.

Taljoc is generally given jobs across Earth and its neighboring planes but sometimes given ones as far flung as Water, Salt, or Ash. His powers allow him to move through the planes of Mineral, Earth, Ash, and Salt with impunity gliding through the ground to strike at unsuspecting foes. His ability to move through water and earth allow him to further surprise enemies who think themselves protected from the natural inhabitants of the planes. His ability to open planar portals allows him to move between planes to chase down enemies who attempt to escape to neighboring planes possibly bringing in another of the Seven Knives more suited to finishing off the foe, and allowing him an escape from an otherwise superior foe.

In combat Taljoc relies upon distance and mobility. Using his heightened speed, his ability to move through earth and water, and his elemental spear he strikes down enemies before they can even become aware of his presence. If he must engage a creature from closer by he begins with Last Gasp before following it with either a Dusty Blast to end the battle quickly or a Blazing Blast to temporarily lock an opponent down with the dazing flames. Taljoc prefers to finish an opponent quickly with these blasts, but is not opposed to using hit and run tactics to whittle away at a foe, using the organization to gain information on their movements.

Taljoc
    Lawful Evil Male Earth Genasi Jinnblood 14
    Init +2, Senses: Listen +7, Spot +7, tremorsense 60-ft, darkvision 60-ft
    Languages: Common, Terran, Aquan
    ------------------------------------------------
    AC 22, touch 12, flat-footed 20 (+2 Dex, +7 armor, +3 shield)
    hp 122 (14 HD); DR 2/-
    Fort +16, Ref +9, Will +18; Mettle
    Speed 60-ft. (10 squares), swim 60-ft, earth-glide
    Melee Varell crystal dagger +13 melee (1d4+2 and 2d6 disintegration)
    Ranged: Elemental Blast +13 ranged touch (7d6), or Focused Elemental Blast +10 ranged touch (7d6)
    Base Atk +10, Grp +12
    Atk Options: Elemental Blast, Elemental Quake, Walk Unseen, Last Gasp, Shining Rebirth
    Combat Gear: Varell crystal dagger, cloak of dust, Periapt of Wisdom +4, hat of disguise.
    Invocations: Earth-Ear, Water’s Child, Step of Flames and Winds, Elemental Spear, Elemental Quake, Walk Unseen, Earth Glide, Dusty Blast, Last Gasp, Blazing Blast, Shining Rebirth, Planar Portal.
    Supernatural Abilities: Planar Adaptation
    -----------------------------------------------
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 20 (24), Cha 12
    SQ: Mettle, Tremorsense 60-ft, +3 on saves versus earth spells and effects, Pass without Trace 1/day.
    Feats: Ability Focus (Elemental Blast), Weapon Focus (Elemental Blast), Empower Spell-like Ability (Elemental Blast), Maximized Spell-like Ability (Elemental Blast), Quicken Spell-like Ability (Elemental Blast)
    Skills: Bluff +18, Diplomacy +22, Disguise +18, Gather Information +18, Sense Motive +26.
    Possessions: Letter describing target.

Combat: Taljoc prefers to begin combat at a range, using his elemental blast from the extreme distance of his elemental spear or tremorsense. When he doesn’t open with Last Gasp, he usually opens from an invisible state with a Focused Empowered Dusty Blast, attempting to overwhelm the target with sheer damage (this deals 28d6 x 1.5 on a failed DC 24 Fort save, 14d6 x 1.5 on a success) followed by a quickened maximized elemental blast (42 damage). He will also use a Focused Empowered Blazing Blast (14d6 x 1.5, DC 25 Fort save versus 1 round daze) on a creature that seems liable to survive the Dusty Blast’s damage attempting to lock down the target. He can also apply these to his Elemental Quake if within 30-ft attacking multiple enemies within that range though doing so allows a DC 21 Reflex save for half (if the blast is focused) and they must be touching the ground; it is this attack which bypasses normal line of effect requirements that allows Taljoc to harm creatures such as xorn or other earth elemental creatures otherwise safely within stone or earth.

Taljoc will retreat if an enemy resists his attack head on, either getting reinforcements or attempting a series of hit and run attacks using his superior mobility and blazing blasts.

Equipment: Taljoc's Varell Crystal Dagger is made of the material (see Seven Knives of Dust) and is otherwise a +1 weapon which deals an additional 2d6 damage per attack. This damage is disintegrating energy and any creature reduced to 0 hp from an attack with this crystal has its body destroyed. Due to the harmonic resonance between the crystal and this enchantment the crystal's special properties apply to this damage.

Taljoc's Cloak of Dust acts as a Cloak of Resistance +2, as well as protecting him from disintegration effects and allowing him to fly (60-ft, good maneuverability) but only on the Quasielemental Plane of Dust.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-23 at 04:37 PM.

Current Projects:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelyn View Post
    So I've been meaning to register on here for years and finally decided to.

I really love this thread, glad to see it revived. I don't know enough To really write any great homebrew (new to that) but I had some questions/ideas/requests I guess you could say.

Vacuum: such a great plane, really love the vibe, any idea on further landmarks in it? Maybe there are floating islands that are chunks of other planes that have been accidentally teleported here in cosmic battles, or whole cities that believed to be vanished were actually moved to this void. Also had a thought on a large structure (read space ship) inhabited by constructs wandering aimlessly, maybe like a group of zen monks seeking peace in the void.

Also, have you thought of adding plane touched races or subtypes for each area? (think those would be cool, not sure if they exist).
    I've been thinking and I've got some ideas for vacuum (a divine realm complete with a new god, a moon banished by the gods to vacuum and the ghost city of the monster worshipers who lived on it, and I thought I had a third one but I can't remember it now). Just got to put them into words and type them out.

I probably won't be adding planetouched races any time soon, only reason I'm doing any mechanics is in honor of the current base class challenge's Inner Planes theme. On that note it's a fun contest and people should look it over http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301714, still time for anyone to make their own class and I'll probably note some of the classes as they get finished. If I do make more mechanics I'm more likely to make native species than planetouched especially as the main source of genasi are genies and the quasi and para elemental planes lack those, though I might make some quasi or para elemental genies.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-09 at 07:45 PM.

Current Projects:

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

The Ghost Moon:
    Travelers tell of a Prime moon floating in the depths of vacuum. Once an inhabited planetoid, the “ghost moon” as it is now called is the home to nothing but the specters of those who died when vacuum sucked the atmosphere away. The planetoid, about 200 miles in diameter, is covered in the ruins of a planet spanning civilization, barren soil where plants no longer grow, and the dry sea beds where even the water that once fed the planetoid has leaked into vacuum. Explorers in these ruins report finding asphyxiated corpses, probably of the former inhabitants of the moon.

The moon isn’t without dangers to travelers. The first is that its massive size gives it gravity even within this otherwise gravity-less plane, a gravity which reaches out about 10 miles from the planetoid. If the potential of a ten-mile fall was not enough to make the planetoid a danger to travelers, there’s the matter of its inhabitants. When the people of the planetoid died they didn’t pass on easily, and the planetoid is now inhabited by the incorporeal undead they have become. These undead are far from friendly to any berks who wander into their domain, attacking them and incapacitating them before taking them to one of the temples that dominated their cities where they sacrifice these travelers.

Chant has it that it’s because of these sacrifices that the planetoid found its way to Vacuum in the first place. Graybeards say that the planetoid was banished from its rightful place as a Prime world’s moon due to the inhabitants worshipping some monstrous thing the gods reviled. To hear some bashers tell it the thing was sealed within the moon and their worship caused it to stir within its cage and lest it escape the gods banished the entire moon to the plane of Vacuum hoping to delay its escape. Others says that the moon was the creature placed into dormancy by the gods in a time long past, or the egg of such a beast. Whatever the truth, the spectral inhabitants of the planetoid still carry out gristly sacrifices in their massive blood-stained temples, slaying the living there for the glory of some blood-thirsty god or god-like being.

Few incorporeal undead manage to stay long in Vacuum, and rumors of the Ghost Moon have persisted for centuries, so graybeards say something is keeping these spirits in place. Some say the gravity of the sphere counteracts the pull of the Negative Energy Plane, though I think only a barmie would accept that explanation. Others say that they use the life force of their sacrifices to tie them to the place, keeping them from being swept into the overwhelming flow of the Negative Energy Plane. Another theory is that whatever being they worshipped keeps them there with some deific power of its own, keeping them as a sort of antibody to keep away adventurers who could harm it in its limited state. Course no one really knows since no one has stayed on the dead moon long enough to explore it in detail.

The moon’s surface is mostly former ocean floor, the like of which covered about 75%. Of the remaining 25% only a fraction of it was inhabited, but these ruins rival what many Prime civilizations on larger worlds could produce at their peak, massive sprawling cities which covered dozens of miles in each direction. Explorers attest that the place was most likely a theocracy due to the primacy in both location and size given to the temples which serve as the nuclei of these sprawling city-states; massive structures that even now are filled with a certain aura of unhallowness, and filled with the specters that dwell within the cities.

Adventurers might fall to the “ghost moon” by complete accident, or go there searching for an object held by a former explorer. Other possibilities include investigating the ruins for any lost wealth that may have been abandoned on the planetoid, or trying to discover the nature of the specters’ dark god(s) and the threat they may even now pose to the multiverse. Possibly they have escaped the moon, if they were ever sealed there, and now it is the only place to start a search for the means to the threat that they now present to the djinn and humanoid civilizations of the plane of Air.

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Tor and the Embers in the Dark:

In the Planes there are two great wars which have raged for eternity untold. The Blood War, the great war of the Outer Planes, is legendary across the multiverse. The war between the Efreet and Djinn, almost as old if not as old as the war between Baatezu and Tanar'ri, is not so well known. Called the War of Smoke, the War of Breeze and Ember, the War of Flame and Wind, the Pyroclasm War, and many other names, this war has lasted since before the construction of the City of Brass and will most likely continue long after its destruction.

This war is mainly fought across the Plane of Smoke continuously spilling into the Eternal Haze and Scald (the borders between Air and Smoke and Fire and Smoke respectively), and only more rarely making their way completely into Air, Fire, or spilling towards one of the Quasielemental planes. One efreeti commander has seen fit to change things, Tor Emberfumes. With the help of Yan-C-Bin (the Archomental Prince of Evil Air), Tor has built a fortress in the Quasielemental Plane of Vacuum. Yan-C-Bin's dark powers have furnished it with its own supply of air, allowing the efreet and their allies to survive within while they lurk just past the Whistling Void, where Vacuum borders Air and the constant roar of the wind being sucked into the abyss fills the ears.

Even with Yan-C-Bin's gift of air the efreet's Oblivion Furnace would be of little use if it were not for a powerful psychic artifact that Tor found when she was on a journey to Thuldanin (the second layer of Acheron) and sifted through the great junkyard that makes up the layer. There she found the "Planar Helm" a powerful weapon of illithid design which melds magic and psionics together. This ancient weapon, or perhaps yet to be created one, is built upon the lines of a Spelljamming helm but where those move a ship through Wildspace the "Planar Helm" moves reality itself super-imposing part of one plane upon a nearby portion of a neighboring plane. It is this weapon that allow the efreet to strike straight past the Whistling Void, whose strong winds normally would deter any attack, and obliterate the prosperous djinn cities nestled in Vacuumwards in Air where there is little threat of an efreet attack. The "Planar Helm" allows easy movement between Vacuum and Air in full force, and the sudden imposition of Vacuum's airlessness can be enough to cripple the defenders' forces all by itself. Meanwhile Tor's Embers in the Dark are ready equipped with special apparatus's carrying air supplies for the coming battle and swoop in upon pegasi of flame or their own natural flight to slaughter the defenders.

Most recently Tor's forces destroyed the city of Tal Midori, killing its caliph, Jorul. Jorul was famed across Air, and even other planes, for his hospitality and singing skill and Tal Midori was a prosperous trading hub for locations across the plane. Its utter destruction, when Tor allowed the planes to part for just long enough to burn the city to ashes before recovering her troops, has stirred new fervor in the djinn forces who now turn attention from Smoke towards this new battlefield of Vacuum. Adding insult to injury, Tor's dragon mage reanimated Jorul's body to send it as an explosive message to a neighboring djinn city.

Tor's Embers in the Dark consist of:

Tor Emberfumes: A female efreeti thrallherd, Tor couples her charm and beauty which once made her famed throughout the City of Brass and her powers as a genie with a dangerously powerful telepathic mind. Tor's expendable thralls, primarily humans and air genasi, often infiltrate a target city and attempt to remove whatever defenses they can from within before the attack. Tor herself mans the "Planar Helm" being the only psion among her forces capable of such a task. The "Planar Helm" has begun to put a strong strain upon Tor's mind, and she has begun to suffer from violent hallucinations, which are growing both more frequent and more realistic.

Varash Flamespout: One of three dragons who originally fought for Tor, and two which survive, Varash is a red dragon with a predilection towards necromancy. Varash uses her magic to prepare the efreet forces, and her sheer power to break the back of any defensive forces which can gather after the sudden disappearance of the air.

Domin: The other surviving dragon, Domin is a pyroclastic dragon who suffering Tiamat's wrath has been ordered to serve the efreet as a penance for the draconic mother. Domin is more direct and brutish than Varash, preferring a direct and overwhelming application of power. Even so Domin has learned his own ways to supplement his natural power; Domin is a skilled binder able to call upon the power of vestiges to augment his draconic might making the pyroclastic dragon a dangerous surprise to anyone who underestimates him.

In addition to the powerful named troops, Tor's forces consist of:
    • 12 Efreet. All the remain of an initial force of 20.
    • 218 fire elemental pegasi. Tor was originally granted 450.
    • 204 salamander knights trained to fight from pegasus back. Out of an initial force of 450.

Possible Uses for Tor's Embers in the Dark: PCs could be hired by the djinn to track down this dangerous force following the destruction of Tal Midori. PCs could be within a city as it is attacked by Tor's forces. The PCs could serve as mercenaries for the efreet, and work out of the Oblivion Forge for a time. The PCs could simply stumble onto the Oblivion Forge, and be attacked by its inhabitants to keep their secret, or offered a choice between service and death. Feel free to suggest your own ways

Current Projects:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

The Observatory of K'luus

Bordering the Gray Way, within the edge of Vacuum, lies the divine realm of K'luus, the Mind that Sees. This realm, a great observatory, is built upon what seems to be a great hunk of a world ripped from its rightful place. The top of it is flat, and covered in a variety of herbs and flowers with medicinal, alchemical, poisonous, or magical applications, and dominated by the Observatory proper. The "bottom" (you can walk on this bottom as easily as the top) of the chunk of earth is like a down-ward pointing mountain, jagged and angry against the backdrop of eternal darkness.

The Observatory, and its grounds, have objective directional gravity which stretches out 20-ft from the surface, allowing a powerful jump to propel a creature outside of its reach. The Observatory proper is a massive building built upon a large stone spire on the otherwise flat top, giving it an elevation of 60-ft over the rest of the area. The building itself is another 60-ft tall, and on the outside over a hundred feet per side and much larger on the inside. The Observatory is filled with various libraries, and study chambers, occupied by K'luus Luusons, a type of outsider made from his petitioners. These luusons look like smaller cloakers made of some more ephemeral material almost like remarkably fine silk with two large eyes on stalks that stretch from their tops. Luusons commonly demonstrate telekinesis, flight, and telepathy, but are rarely given cause to demonstrate whatever combat powers they may possess.

Above the libraries is the great telescope of K'luus. It is with this telescope, several hundred feet in length, that K'luus views the plane of Vacuum plumping its depths for knowledge lost in its empty expanse, and some say he uses it to view other planes as well. It is for the purpose of this telescope that the entire Observatory and the grounds it is built upon can turn and move allowing for K'luus to view the world from many angles.

Connected to the Observatory's floating island via a series of bridge-like tethers (about 10-ft across) made of some silver-colored fabric are twenty one hermitages. Each of these hermitages is the abode of some entity which gave K'luus some great boon of knowledge. One is an old illithid nautilus ship, the abode of an aged illithid artificer who chant has it is the blood who first made the illithid pool helms which allow them to move their larger ships, the knowledge of their design and the necessary study into the means by which the Arcane make helms (said to be secret even from the gods) his tribute to K'luus. Another hermitage belongs to a beholder elder orb guvner so advanced in age its central eye has begun to fail it. Chant has it that the elder orb is an expert on the true names of fiends, and said to have whispered K'luus the true names of some of the elder bloods among the 'loths, though to here others tell it the elder orb gave the god Asmodeus's own true name, no one knows the dark but it has been two hundred years since the last time loth assassins attacked the elder orb. A third hermitage, a castle of solid clouds, belongs to a trumpet archon lore master, said to have told K'luus secret paths that would allow anyone no matter how unenlightened a quick progression through the first six layers of Mount Celestia. A fourth is the abode of an elder radiance quasielemental; there isn't even chant worth mentioning of its offering to K'luus, it gave the god something but anyone's guess is as good as it gets here. Only thing that can be said about the quasielemental with any certainty is that it's a member of the transcendent order, and occasionally decides that it ought to fly off into the Gray Way and on towards Fire and Radiance. A fifth hermitage belongs to a strangely young human alchemist-mage, said to have perfected an elixer of immortality that could grant youth to anyone, though who can say what the dark of his gift was, though others say he isn't actually human but the first elan. The other sixteen hermitages have a variety of inhabitants, each of which is an expert in at least one field of knowledge.

A twenty second hermitage is currently being built by K'luus's luusons, but only K'luus himself knows who it is meant for.

K'luus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser God (Neutral)
    K'luus manifests as a great, floating brain its stem continuing into an eyestalk ending in a massive eye. K'luus is a seeker of knowledge and values others who seek knowledge regardless of ethics or morality. K'luus gives his followers two commands: Seek knowledge, and respect solitude. He cares for nothing else from them save their worship. K'luus is worshipped by monstrous races, such as illithids and beholders, as often as the more common humanoid ones.
    Portfolio: The stars, solitude, curiosity, rare knowledge, loneliness.
    Domains: Knowledge, Mind, Oracle, Protection.
    Cleric Training: K'luus's clerics are usually found among more monstrous races and few have formal training, instead being led to their god through a natural inclination of spirit and true dreaming.
    Quests: The creation, accumulation, or spread of knowledge enriches K'luus. While K'luus is an undemanding god, unlikely to give his clerics some holy quest, a cleric seeking to please his god will often seek out lost knowledge to return it to the world, or pry into the deepest secrets of the planes.
    Prayers: Prayers to K'luus are made in utter solitude, only familiars or other creatures which share a soul are allowed nearby. Prayers are often short, offering some share of information, even if merely as a token offering, for aid in gaining knowledge, or requesting solitude.
    Rites: K'luus is called upon in some worlds to bless the opening of centers of learning, or missions of discovery. He is also invoked by hermits to protect their isolation. Many monasteries combine these two roles, calling upon him to protect their isolation even as they ask him to ensure their success in obtaining knowledge.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-09 at 10:39 PM.

Current Projects:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

The Tomb of Alkmor:

Deep within the quasielemental plane of mineral there exists a pyramid made of solid stone, surrounded on all sides by veins of ore and gemstones. The pyramid is covered in dwarven inscriptions, dedicating it to the great pharaoh Alkmor, fourth of the name, who ruled a Prime kingdom. It serves as a reminder that as much as we look down on Primes for being Clueless that they don’t fail to amaze sometimes. See the tomb is relatively new, no more than a couple of centuries if chant is right, at the least it had been unknown until a few years ago, though its effects could be felt for at least a decade before that. The tomb’s first line of defense is a magical force it emits which controls earth elemental creatures coming within 10 miles of the massive structure. The fact that this mental control can reach creatures through solid earth at such a distance makes the site a place of interest to powerful forces on the Inner Planes either as a weapon or something to be destroyed.

Of course the defenses of the place stymie most attempts by these same forces to take the pyramid. The forces that the archomentals, or the dao, can bring to bear tend to be largely elemental in construction and as the structure is surrounded by thick metal and gems on all sides non-elemental beings have difficulty reaching it. Even if they should those elemental creatures which have wandered into the region in the years since its construction now serve to protect it fervently, and explorers find themselves attacked by wave after wave of xorn, quasielemental, and even dao. The explorers who have made it through this horde have reported that the pyramid is still dangerous, bearing within dwarven constructs and petrified dwarven mummies who despite succumbing to the petrifying effect of the plane remain animate their desiccated bodies replaced instead with solid stone.

So I guess what I’m saying is that sometimes we get reminded that the Prime isn’t just filled with Clueless berks. A Prime blood might not know how things work on the planes, but they often have more power than we give them credit for, and their graybeards can know scary bits of dark information.

Current Projects:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

The City of Black Ice:

Everyone knows djinn, efreet, marids, dao, and jann, but few cutters have even heard of the ice genies the quorrash, and fewer still the shadow jinn the khayals. Few bashers care to travel to the plane of shadow, it’s practically a prime, but it’s in these shadow worlds that the khayal dwell; at least normally. See the reason I’m mentioning this, what with my jink coming from guiding you would-be bloods through the Inner Planes, is because recently they’ve taken to colonizing Ice.

You see some berks among the khayals have gotten it in their head that they used to have some connection to the Inner Planes just like other genies; now I can’t say whether this is true or not but they’ve decided to try and reclaim it. The first step in their minds seems to be colonizing an Inner Plane to “attune” themselves to the elements. Being immune to cold, they’ve set up camp in Ice, and avoided contact with outsiders for only the khayal themselves know how long. It was less than a generation ago, of humans, that the khayal finally came in contact with other sapient inhabitants of the planes. Well that’s not quite true, Cyronax ain’t no berk and it’s unlikely the shadow jinn have been on Ice for long without some sort of deal with the Prince of Evil Ice, but it’s been less than a lifetime since they became known to others.

Well these khayal built a city, closer to a fortress actually, out on Ice. They call it the City of Black Ice and if chant is to be believed it looks the part, carved completely from jet black ice found where shadow touched the plane. These khayal have been trying to attune themselves to Ice, studying the fundamental nature of the elemental planes. See the khayal have been planning to carve out a place for themselves in Ice and make themselves the jinn of Ice. They don’t take to kindly to bashers who come by, but are willing to trade hospitality and wealth for information on the nature of the Elemental Planes themselves, or for strong mercenaries.

See these khayals have run into a problem called the quorrash. See the quorrash are the genies of Ice and they don’t like the idea of losing their place to a rogue faction of shadow jinn. Now one would expect the quorrash to have several advantages, strength in numbers and knowing the plane better than the khayal, but that hasn’t stopped the war from continuing for over twenty years now. See the quorrash aren’t above using the situation to alter the balance in some of their internal disputes so none of their sheikhs dares to contribute his full force to taking out the shadow genies knowing that if he does so he might not have a domain to return to; especially since those quorrash loyal to Cyronax are holding back and the free quorrash just know that it means they’ll sweep in should their defenses weaken.

For their part the khayal are looking for a way to sever the quorrash’s connection with the Plane of Ice and usurp their place. Some say to take it a step further, to sever all the elemental genies’ connections so that the khayal become the one true panelemental jinn. Even within this faction of the khayal dissension is spreading; some are having second thoughts about becoming elemental jinn. Chant has it some khayal blood back on shadow has started a campaign for wiping out the Inner Planar jinn completely, not usurping their place but destroying them. Seems some of the jinn in the City of Black Ice have begun to have second thoughts about becoming elemental jinn and want to wipe the slate of the planes clean, destroying the elemental genies out of pure envy.

For those who befriend the inhabitants the city makes a good entrance to the Plane of Shadow, allowing the entrance to Shadow bordering at least six different primes. Some planar merchants make stops here to pick up shadow stuff, though few true genies do so as it is viewed as treasonous by most of the genie races. The black ice made from where the Shadow Gates open into Ice can also be used in various magical formulas, and helps in some weapon enchantments.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-17 at 02:15 PM.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Shinohara: A Knife of Dust

Shinohara was born in a village on Acheron’s first layer, the daughter of an army lieutenant and a vampire mercenary. When she was young she ran away to Sigil, and lived there as an urchin and pick pocket for half a year before she was caught by a mark. This mark, an aging dwarf, was a planar sommelier who decided to take pity on the half-vampire girl taken her in and taken her back with him to the Elemental Plane of Earth where he took her as his apprentice. As Shinohara grew in age he taught her that there was a demand across the planes for someone skilled in serving wine, and in poisoning it. During her apprenticeship Shinohara joined the Sensates, and fell wholeheartedly into the hedonistic lifestyle many sensates fall into. After her apprenticeship, she traveled the Inner Planes, working at the great cities across them, working for a year at the court of the efreet noble Hja the Ever Merciful, another at the Tal Midori working for the djinn caliph Jorul, another in the Alkali City floating across the Brine Sea, and finally she returned to Earth to take over from her master at the court of the dao Zhal-Jirae and truly start her apprenticeship.

Shinohara did not last long in this position, a scandal involving her and Zhal-Jirae’s favorite consort saw Shinohara fleeing for her life. She ended in Steam where she had her first quasielemental wine with the steam dragon Trovalor who told her of the semi-mythical Nine Wines of Old Baator. These wines were said to be of surpassing qualities, the greatest wines of the personal stocks of the Lords of the Nine from before the Reckoning of Hell. Trovalor gave her a single glass from one of these, known as the Triumph of Moloch, and told Shinohara that the other eight were said to be scattered across the Inner Planes after they were stolen by a master thief millennia ago.

Shinohara tracked down a single bottle from Zariel’s collection, known as the Lament of Zariel, and believed she had tracked down what could be surmised to be the most wondrous wine of the nine; the Torment of Asmodeus. She acquired the wine from a merchant with a single cyclops-like eye in Vacuum and with utmost reverence tasted the wine. It was the last thing she would ever taste. Whether it was a false bottle or a curse upon it to prevent theft, the wine robbed Shinohara of her sense of taste and she found her other senses soon fading. Embittered she set off on a mission to find a cure. It took her three years, and an embitterment which led to her leaving the Sensates to join the Doomguards, before she found Riena. Riena offered Shinohara a new mission in life and a partial cure; the curse was halted, and even reversed, but not wholly removed. Now Shinohara serves the Seven Knives as an assassin, killing the rich and powerful after being invited into their homes. The Knives have provided Shinohara with several false identities with which to carry out her missions, and Shinohara herself provides the magical muscle and the skillfully made poisons to finish them.

Shinohara
    Neutral Evil Male Half-Vampire Human Planar Sommelier 11
    Init +7, Senses: Listen +2, Spot +2, darkvision 60-ft
    Languages: Common, Terran, Aquan, Celestial, Infernal, Ignan, Auran
    AC 23, touch 18, flat-footed 17 (+3 Dex, +3 Dodge, +5 armor, +2 Deflection)
    hp 153 (13 HD) 20 temp hp; DR 5/magic or silver, DR 5/-; Fire and Acid Resistance 13, Cold and Electricity resistance 5; Fast Healing 1 when at 76 or less hp
    Fort +14, Ref +7, Will +10
    Speed 30-ft. (6 squares), ignores difficult terrain
    Melee Varell crystal dagger +7 melee (1d4-2)
    Ranged: Ray +13 ranged touch (1d4 negative levels with Enervation, or 26d6 Fort DC 22 reduces to 5d6 with Disintegration)
    Base Atk +9, Grp +7
    Atk Options: Shatter or disintegrate 6/day (regainable), Enervation 6/day (regainable), Fly/Wind Walk/Blink 6/day (regainable), Magma 6/day (for 13 minutes creatures striking them with unarmed/natural weapons take 13 fire damage and those striking with manufactured melee weapons take 6 fire damage; immediate action to activate), Drinking Buddies (SNAVII as standard action with specific summons [see below] 4/day), Charm Gaze (standard action, charm monster CL 11, any creature that makes its save is immune for 24 hours).
    Combat Gear: Varell crystal dagger, cloak of dust, Amulet of Health +4, hat of disguise, ring of protection +2. Steam Drinks, Dust Drinks, Vacuum Drinks, Restorative Cocktail (Dust Drink plus 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds), Battle Cocktail (Water Drink, Magma Drink, Earth Drink, Potion of Reduce Person, Potion of Eagle’s Splendor)
    Wines: Earth, Water, Ooze, Magma, Vacuum, Steam, Dust
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 18 (22), Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18
    SQ: Planar Adaptability, Distill Planar Drink, Planar Cocktail, Move the Party to another Party
    Feats: Combat Expertise (bonus), Improved Toughness (bonus), Brew Potion (bonus), Improved Initiative (bonus), Able Learner, Skill Focus (bluff), Iron Will, Spell Penetration, Weapon Focus (Ranged Touch), Ability Focus (Disintegrate)
    Skills: Bluff +25, Diplomacy +22, Disguise +16, Craft (Poison making) +17, Profession (Sommelier) +14, Spellcraft +10, Sense Motive +8, Sleight of Hand +13, Craft (Wine) +13, Speak Languages x4.
    Possessions: Letter describing target, disguise kit, 556 GP 8 SP and 5 CP worth of wine, 689 GP 9 SP and 3 CP worth of poisoned wine, Miphelo’s Marvelous Cooler.

Combat: Shinohara prefers to avoid combat, relying primarily on a bit of guile and her targets’ appetites to make her kills. That said many of the entities that the Seven Knives are hired to kill cannot be slain with poison. While to many this seems like it would be a drawback, Shinohara uses her skills as a sommelier to get close to these targets that do not fear a wine expert precisely because they cannot be poisoned. Against these targets Shinohara uses her magical abilities, opening with a Disintegration effect against targets she determines to be unlikely to survive such an opening. Against tougher opponents she will summon a force of her elemental drinking buddies, either a single greater elemental (if the target seems unlikely to try and flee) or a force of large elementals to surround a target that is likely to run. She will then use enervation to soften up the target. If Shinohara determines that her target is likely to require a fight she will also drink her Battle Cocktail before the combat, and activating Fly as well if possible, entering blazing with fire and increased defenses (DR 10/-, AC 28, Fire Resistance 26, magma activated twice deals 26 damage to a target attacking them with natural weapons or 12 to those attacking them in melee with manufactured weapons, +1 to hit, +2 to save DC of Disintegrate).

Drinking Buddies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each of Shinohara’s elemental summons is theoretically a unique creature. In practice her summons have the following changes to their ability scores based upon element:
    Air: +2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +0 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha; +2 to save DCs, +1 to Will saves, +2 to AC, +2 to attack rolls, +1 to damage, +2 to Reflex and Fort saves, +2 hp per hit dice.
    Earth: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +0 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha; +2 to save DCs, +1 to Will saves, +1 to AC, +2 to attack rolls, +2 to damage, +1 to Reflex saves, +2 to Fort saves, +2 hp per hit dice.
    Fire: +2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +0 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha; +2 to save DCs, +1 to Will saves, +2 to AC, +2 to attack rolls, +1 to damage, +2 to Reflex and Fort saves, +2 hp per hit dice.
    Water: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +0 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha; +2 to save DCs, +1 to Will saves, +1 to AC, +2 to attack rolls, +2 to damage, +1 to Reflex saves, +2 to Fort saves, +2 hp per hit dice.

Equipment: Shinohara's Varell Crystal Dagger is made of the material (see Seven Knives of Dust) and is otherwise a +1 weapon.
    Shinohara's Cloak of Dust acts as a Cloak of Resistance +1, as well as protecting her from disintegration effects and granting her a swim speed equal to her base land speed. It is not included in her stats as she rarely wears it while actually on missions.

Shinohara keeps her wine collection within her Miphelo’s Marvelous Cooler. Much of this wine is poisoned containing a variety of deadly extra ingredients such as Black Lotus Extract, Dark Reaver Dust, Dragon Bile, Carrion Crawler Brain Juice, and other more exotic planar toxins.

New Item: Miphelo’s Marvelous Cooler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miphelo’s Marvelous Cooler is a cloth sack, similar in size, appearance, and function to a Bag of Holding Type I. This bag can only store objects which are liquid, glass, or certain types of wood but stores them at slightly above freezing temperatures keeping them pleasantly chilled for drinking. It may hold up to 150 lbs of such objects, or 20 cubic feet, and the bag itself weighs 5 lbs.
    Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Items, Secret Chess, Ray of Frost; 1000 GP.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-29 at 07:59 PM.

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Gorrog: A Knife of Dust:
    Gorrog served as a soldier in Yan-C-Bin’s armies for time immemorial. As Gorrog grew in size and intelligence they* found they desired more. They studied the powers of the bordering planes where Air was mixed with life and death, meditating on their significance, and their power. Recently they killed an assassin sent to end the life of an air grue general serving Gorrog, and was sent to Dust to track down the source. Gorrog took this as an indication of his place in Yan-C-Bin’s forces, as an expendable grunt, but they went anyway. Once in Dust, Gorrog sought out the assassins, not to kill the assassins but to join their order. They were on the brink of dissolution from the winds of Dust when they was approached by Riena who offered them a position in the organization. Gorrog agreed, taking up a knife of Dust in her honor and killing the same general whose life they had saved. Gorrog has since been given his own cloak and “knife”, actually a massive sword called Void Storm, and been given a retainer for until his specialized services are needed.

Gorrog now serves as the heavy weapon for the Knives when stealth has failed or where brute power is deemed to be the most effective method, a powerful force of elemental fury which is unleashed against those the Knives would see dead. Gorrog is often paired with another Knife who has proven unsuccessful, or feels the need for a diversion, and is often assigned to missions off the Inner Planes. On the Inner Planes his missions usually take them to regions within Air and Vacuum, as they have little resistance to the forces of the other Inner Planes. They are also occasionally sent into Electricity or Smoke. Their most recent mission has earned them the enmity of Dagon after they were sent to kill one of his favorite servants which the demon prince had lent out to the armies of the Tanar’ri.

Gorrog spends most of their time near the border of either Air and Lightning or Air and Vacuum, though they sometimes wonder completely into the latter of those planes contemplating its nature for days on end. While Gorrog is fairly safe in Lightning a few powerful strikes could threaten even the elemental despite the protection of their amulet and as such he is cautious about moving too deep into the region.

*Using gender neutral pronouns for Gorrog as the air elemental does not think about things in male/female and is physically asexual.

Gorrog
    Neutral Evil, neuter, Huge Air Elemental Quasi-Warrior 8
    Init +16, Senses: Listen +26, Spot +26
    Languages: Auran, Common, Ignan
    AC 26, touch 22, flat-footed 14 (-2 size, +2 Deflection, +12 Dexterity, +4 natural); +2 versus spells with the air descriptor.
    hp 263 (16d8 and 8d10 + 144); Electricity Resistance 20 (item); DR 5/-
    Fort +18, Ref +26, Will +17; +2 versus spells with the air descriptor
    Continuous Protection from Good (item)
    Speed fly 100-ft. (perfect) (20 squares)
    Melee: +31/+26/+21/+16 Huge +1 Varell Crystal Elven Courtblade of Collision (3d8+13, 15-20/x2)
    Melee: +26/+21/+16/+11 Huge +1 Varell Crystal Elven Courtblade of Collision with Power Attack 5 (3d8+23, 15-20/x2)
    Melee: +31/+26/+21/+16 Huge +1 Cold Iron Elven Courtblade of Shock (3d8+8 and 1d6 electric, 15-20/x2)
    Melee: +26/+21/+16/+11 Huge +1 Cold Iron Elven Courtblade of Shock (3d8+18 and 1d6 electric, 15-20/x2)
    Base Atk +20, Grp +33
    Atk Options: Air Mastery, Void Rend, Stunning Touch.
    Combat Gear: Huge +1 Varell Crystal Elven Courtblade of Collision, Cloak of Dust, Amulet of Electricity Resistance 20
    Supernatural Abilities: Empty Space, Whirlwind, Vacuum Strike
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 34, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 11
    SQ: Static Field, Darkvision 60-ft, Elemental traits, Quasi-Elemental Focus, Elemental Resistance I
    Feats: Improved InitiativeB, Weapon FinesseB, Iron Will, Exotic Weapon Focus (Elven Thin Blade)Races of the Wild, Power Attack, Flyby Attack, Combat Reflexes, Large and in ChargeDraconomicon, Mage SlayerComplete Arcane, Epic WillEpic, Pierce Magical ProtectionComplete Arcane
    Skills Spot +26, Listen +26, Spellcraft +10, Knowledge (the Planes) +17

Combat: Gorrog uses their great speed and the powerful critical hits of their Void Storm to blitz melee combatants, keeping them away with their reach and large size. When faced with spellcasting enemies, Gorrog closes in for the full attack using the great reach from huge size to prevent 5-ft steps from exiting Gorrog’s reach.

Gorrog rarely uses the Void Rend ability, between Gorrog’s speed and melee damage the attack is rarely useful against single opponents. If Gorrog finds that their foes have lined up for them, they will use the same speed to position themselves into a location from which they can unleash the powerful attack. Gorrog mostly finds themselves using this ability against guards and when attempting to cause a distraction to open the way for another of the Knives.

Gorrog very rarely uses Stunning Touch as the air elemental rarely out-right has allies during battle and without it the attack is never a winning option.

Gorrog is able to use their Empty Space ability and their high speed to vanish from sight over a thousand feet from the target and then close to combat range while invisible slipping past guards and allies. They are loathe to do so unless they seem to have a good opportunity as the ability can only be used for a total of 24 seconds each day.

Equipment: Gorrog’s Cloak of Dust protects him from the effects of the Plane of Dust, as well as granting him a continuous Protection from Good effect and granting a +2 resistance bonus to saving throws.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-30 at 12:20 PM.

Current Projects:

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Marchay-os: A Knife of Dust
    Marchay-os is an ice mephit who in a more modern setting would have become something of an arm-chair philosopher, dabbling in a variety of elaborate sophistries and philosophies to justify his own self-interests. Instead he was born into a world of unrelenting ice. Brilliant by mephit standards, Marchay-os was always interested in the nature of the planes and studied their ways, traveling for a time with a mortal wizard who passed through the plane of ice. On these journeys he encounter Asphergon the were-efreeti, and the two developed a sort of friendship based upon their common philosophical grounds. The two joined the Fated together, and for some time studied together at the Tower of Unity on the Plane of Mist seeking to understand the nature of the planes. Asphergon was driven by his weakened elemental connection, caused by his lycanthropy, while Marchay-os was driven purely by curiosity and a will for power.

In the years following their studies at the Tower of Unity the two Heartless drifted apart. Marchay-os returning to the Plane of Ice, his new powers allowing him to become a minor chief among the mephits there, and eventually attracting the notice of Cyronax who recruited the mephit as an assassin, working to kill heroes who challenged his might, rebellious members of his own forces, or even just key figures on the plane of ice which might threaten him.

Years went by and Marchay-os didn’t think about his old friend till one day the were-efreeti was in the Plane of Ice seeking the mephit. The efreeti had an offer of employment, the Knives of Dust wanted a spy in Cyronax’s forces and as one of their members the were-efreeti had thought of his old friend. Marchay-os accepted. As a spy he rarely performs jobs for the Knives directly, mostly serving to observe Cyronax, but he still occasionally finds his talents required. His gregarious personality it his main selling point, allowing him to grow friendly with targets so that one of their companions can prove a knife in their back when Gorrog comes crashing in, or Shinohara begins releasing her elemental assault. Marchay-os rarely works with Taljoc as both rely on hit and run tactics through very different mediums. Marchay-os prefers to get to know his targets, whether for the knives or Cyronax, and enjoys the look of shattered faith which crosses his mark’s face when he finally betrays them. Marchay-os has been known to befriend a target for over a year before making his strike, aiding them through thick and thin in the meanwhile.

Marchay-os
    Neutral Evil Male Ice Mephit Planar Mage 8
    Init +3, Senses: Listen +7, Spot +7, darkvision 60-ft
    Languages: Common, Auran, Aquan
    AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 13 (+1 size, +4 Dex, Bracers of Armor +2)
    hp 97 (11 HD); DR 5/magic, Fast Healing 2 when in freezing temperatures, Immunity to Cold, Vulnerability to Fire
    Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +12
    Speed 30-ft. (6 squares), fly 50-ft (perfect)
    Melee Varell crystal dagger +9 melee (1d3-1; 3/day inflicts 1 negative level)
    Ranged: Elemental Ray +14 ranged touch (1 to 7d6 bludgeoning, fire, cold, or acid; 3/day empower) or Ray of Enervation (1d4 negative levels).
    Base Atk +9/+4, Grp +3
    Atk Options: Planecasting, Marchay-os’s Pipe, Breath Weapon, Spell-like Abilities, Summon Mephit
    Combat Gear: Small varell crystal dagger, cloak of dust, Amulet of Charisma +2, Marchay-os’s Pipe.
    Formulas:
    • Level 1: Elemental Mist, Elemental Ray, Planar Adaptation.
    • Level 2: Elemental Needles, Gust of Wind, Summon Elemental I.
    • Level 3: Quasielemental Blood, Summon Elemental II.
    • Level 4: Ray of Enervation, Earth’s Vigor.

Abilities Str 7, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 22 (24)
    SQ: Immunity to cold, Fire vulnerability, Fast Healing 2 (in cold temperatures), DR 5/magic, darkvision 60-ft.
    Feats: Boost Spell-like AbilityBoVD, B, Improved Initiative, Improved ToughnessCW, Violate Spell-like Ability, Empower Spell-like Ability (Elemental Ray).
    Skills: Bluff +13, Escape Artist +10, Hide +18, Listen +7, Diplomacy +15, Disguise +13 (+15 acting), Move Silently +14, Spot +7, Use Rope +4 (+6 with bindings), Concentration +14, Knowledge (the Planes) +9, Spellcraft +9.
    Breath Weapon (Su): 10-foot cone of ice shards, damage 1d4 cold, Reflex DC 18 half. Living creatures that fail their saves are tormented by frostbitten skin and frozen eyes unless they have immunity to cold or are otherwise protected. This effect imposes a –4 penalty to AC and a –2 penalty on attack rolls for 3 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/hour—magic missile (caster level 3rd); 1/day—chill metal (DC 14, caster level 6th). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Marchay-os’s Pipe: 2/day 15-ft cone of fire, or 30-ft line of fire deals 10d6 fire damage (standard action to activate). A successful Reflex save (DC 17) halves this damage.

Combat: Marchay-os prefers to get to know his mark before combat, and his specialty is adventurers. Marchay-os pretends to be a defector from Cyronax’s forces seeking sanctuary, or some other cover story, offering to guide travelers through the plane of ice in exchange for their protection. One means of gaining this help is summoning a force of air elementals or ice paraelementals to pursue him into the heroic group, and allow the heroes to slay them and “save him”. He knows better than to expect them to trust him easily, so he plays down his powers, using only low level formulas at low augmentation when around his marks and conserving daily resources. When the enemies are tired from battles, that is when he will strike releasing a blast from his pipe into the back of his foes, you’d be surprised at how many travelers in the Plane of Ice think they won’t need to resist fire. If his opponents do not seem capable of resurrection magic he will focus on killing the target first with a violate empowered elemental ray if he thinks they are that close to dead, or use Elemental Cloud to generate a solid fog preventing allies from coming to their aid. As the battle continues he will retreat as he finds necessary, using his perfect maneuverability to withdraw to a safe distance to recover his planar points and return firing off more empowered elemental rays (until he can no longer) and using his pipe’s second daily charge. If his target is a demonstrated spell-caster his tactics change slightly, opening with a Ray of Enervation instead of Energy Ray and continuing with similar tactics.

If the enemies seem able to use resurrection magic he will attempt to kill one or more in the initial assault, aiming at the ones which seem defensively weakest hoping to quickly overpower what defenses they have left after their other battles, after an initial assault he will leave an elemental cloud behind to cover his retreat and attempt to recover planar points in hiding, before returning approximately two minutes later with his ability to fight almost fully recovered.

If sent against natives of the planes as opposed to travelers, Marchay-os’s strategy changes somewhat, a greater emphasis on fire manifesting when the target is a creature of elemental ice.

Equipment: Marchay-os’s knife of dust may, 3 times per day as part of a successful attack, inflict 1 negative level on a target (as a free action) but is otherwise simply a +1 weapon. His cloak of dust allows him to ignore the disintegrating effects of Dust, breathe water, and use his racial swim speed at its full value under water, in addition it is a cloak of resistance +2. His pipe looks to be made from simple wood but radiates an aura of moderate evocation and can light itself on command (swift action), produce Dancing Lights (CL 10) as a standard action at will and 2 times per day can produce either a 15-ft cone of fire or 30-ft line of fire dealing 10d6 damage (Reflex DC 17 halves) as a standard action.

Current Projects:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Just letting you guys know, since I presume you're interested in the Inner Planes if you're reading this, that the Base Class Challenge the Seven Knives are from is open for voting now here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309394

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do you mind if I create a few para- and quasigenasi? Your jinnblood class inspired me to make my own lightning genasi, and I'm gonna see if my DM will let me play him in his next campaign. But there's still a few more genasi left unstatted.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Do you mind if I create a few para- and quasigenasi? Your jinnblood class inspired me to make my own lightning genasi, and I'm gonna see if my DM will let me play him in his next campaign. But there's still a few more genasi left unstatted.
    Why would I mind? Feel free (note Dragon 297 has some if you haven't looked there already, but I'm guessing you have).

Current Projects:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Why would I mind? Feel free (note Dragon 297 has some if you haven't looked there already, but I'm guessing you have).
    Sweet! I'll start working on them, hopefully will have them up in a few days.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

This is amazing. The Inner planes are amazing. You're amazing.

Anyhow, here's my try to add something:

Ess Ess, the Crustaecean Ark

In the middle of the Plane of Water, an enormous seashell drifts. It looks like a snail shell of cavernous proportions, and has been mistaken for the seabed by some. (Which is, as any apt traveller of the planes knows, a foolish notion in the plane of water) Inside the shell, lies the largest bubble of air found on the plane of water. It harbours a large city, two small towns and six villages and large batches of farmland in between. The Edge of the shell is always considered "down" from a gravity point of view, which increases the available land enormously.

This place is known as Ess Ess, and its ruler is Mergin Hollimud, a Gnomish Bard. Mergin claims he once lived on a Prime Material Plane and in his travels their unveiled a secret about the End of Days. That particular plane would be invaded by Evil Water elementals, and all of the lands would sink under the seas.

Naturally, Mergin tried to inform everyone, kings to beggars, Orks to elves, but nobody would listen. Gnomes were known for lying and playing tricks on people, and him being a bard made it only worse. In the end, Mergin did something he had never done in his eventful live. He prayed. He prayed for a way to get through to his people, a way to save people from the impending apocalypse. And his prayers were answered. Garl Glittergold turned his eyes into gems, marking him as his prophet and gave him the mission to create a vessel in which those who wanted to could be protected from the Flood. He told him that at the bottom of the deepest ocean; a gigantic shell existed, which could be enchanted just the right way to hold of the crushing waters.
    (Us Scholars may think, that there are more practical ways to save mortals from a deluge, but the god was Garl Glittergold. He has always favoured a good story over practicality)

Mergin, now marked as a prophet of Garl Glittergold, actually managed to convince a part of the gnomish community that the end is nigh. Most of the people of other races still weren't convinced, since Garl wasn't known for his sincerity either and they thought the whole gnomish race was playing some trick on them.

The gnomes, under Mergin divine guidance, had salvaged the giant seashell, and Garl clergy carved the protective runes into its exterior. The wizards and druids terraformed the inside of the shell and everybody worked hard to turn it into a home for those who had followed Mergin. At long last, they went inside and locked the gates.

For a few days, nothing happened, and the first people had just started to disbelieve the whole story about the flood, when the knocking came. People, unseen but clearly heard, were knocking on the great doors that barred Ess Ess' entrance. (Ess Ess, is the pronunciation of S.S. which is short for SeaShell) some quick divination and communication magic showed that the Flood had come, and that water elementals were destroying everything that could not breath underwater. The people at the gates were pleading to be let inside, but the Wards surrounding Ess Ess were created in such a manner, that nothing could enter its shell, and nothing could leave. Mergin was overcome with guilt for not being able to save these people, but there was nothing he could do. The Water began to rise extremely fast, and Mergin spend his time asking his mages to divine different parts of the world, so he could watch the people he could not save. He was saddened beyond comparison during this period, unable to lead the people in Ess Ess (who were just fine governing themselves, anyway) and spend all his time writing a dirge for the whole world, one so sad it would make the gods themselves weep.

In a matter of days, the whole world was flooded, but the water just kept coming, and soon Ess Ess was floating in an endless sea of water. Mergin finished his song, called the Dirge for a World, and it was seven days and seven nights long, and he sang it without a pause. Garl Glittergold was so moved by the performance, and so grateful of Mergin for saving so many lives, that he elated him to Demigod status.

Mergin had put all his emotion in The Dirge for a World, and performing it cleared his head enough so he could once more lead the people of Ess Ess.

Somewhere, in those endless underwater days, Ess Ess must have crossed the border with the Plane of Water, from which the Evil water elementals had originally come from, but nobody inside the shell noticed until the Marid came knocking on their gates. The Gates were opened, and because of Mergin divine might, no water entered. The Marid were not happy at all with this foreign land that had wedged their way into their domain, and wanted to send Ess Ess back to the world where they came from, if not just destroy it. However, the gate to the flooded material plane was impossible to locate, and after Mergin sang the Dirge for a World for the Marid lords, they decided to let them stay.
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

The Shade Sphere

The spell went awry, instead of landing in the Plane of Steam we were in the Positive Energy Plane. We immediately started to feel the effects of the plane, when we saw a massive black globe passing nearby. We moved to intercept it, as it rode the planar energies at a speed much greater than ours. Luckily its path passed us by and, with a little difficulty, we managed to land on its surface. The obsidian sphere was covered in openings and we ventured in one, only to find a hallway lined with statues of grell1-like beings. The statues showed bipedal creatures, lacking arms they had a series of tentacles extending from either side of their torso and their heads were eyeless braincases with bird-like beaks. We were just relieved that the plane's effects did not seem to affect us within this sphere and we waited while our wizard and scout recovered their sight.

We were careless. While we waited creatures began to fall in from the outside of the sphere and march in from its inner recesses. These creatures looked like those in the black statues, but had a sickly grey skin. They surrounded us and pressed the attack. Our wizard, still blind from the brightness of the plane, was struck by one and then another and slowly but surely his life force was sucked out. Dozens of tentacles reached for me, each holding the deadly chill of a wight's touch, my blade flared with arcane fire as I slashed at them, the scent of burning flesh filling my gut with disgust.

We fought them for the better part of a day, dozens of the things coming for us, before Heironeus granted our friend more spells. We grabbed the body of our mage only moments before they truly came en masse, hundreds of those things pouring in. Edric cast a spell, a blessing of protection against the plane's effects, and stood his ground, buying me and Fillon time to escape.

Such goes one survivor's story of the Shade Sphere. A massive globe of black stone inhabited by the wights of what are presumed to be its creators. Whether this was a research facility of some enclave of mages, or some colony gone wrong no one knows. All that can be said for sure is that the first reported sighting was only 13 years ago, so it's quite possible they will be back.

Current Projects:

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

@DMwithoutPCs: Will add it to the first post, sorry I didn't earlier, apparently this thread isn't on my subscription list for some reason

Current Projects: