Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default We're the Man Now, Dog: Let's Play Azure Dreams! (Off Hiatus!)

Let's take a little trip in the wayback machine, back to the turn of the millinium. A lot of things were happening; some of them were even interesting. But none of those matter, since we're here to talk about games. And not just any game, but one game in particular... It was a game my brother owned, and it remains my favorite to this day. I would watch him play it for about as long as I could stay concious and allowed in his room for (this game isn't alone in that: I was that way with Monster Rancher 2 and Lunar, too.) It's deceptively difficult, badly translated, and alarmingly fun. It's a turn-based mystery-dungeon style roguelike where you raise monsters, climb a tower, date girls, die a lot, and improve the town. That's a pretty big chunk of the things I want in a game right there.

So I figured it needs an LP on this forum.

Prologue
    Two households, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
    From ancient grudge break...

Wait. That is entirely the wrong script. Aaah, here we go...

The Real Prologue
    Spoiler
    Show

Tomorrow, he will be recognized by Monsbaiyan law as a man when he turns 15, and thus be able to enter the tower. But what sort of man will he become? What sort of tasks will he accomplish?

The tower that holds monsters, wealth, and fame...
    And his destiny.

Well, we best get to it. Join us, won't you....For Let's Play

There's a bit more to the pre-start-screen cinematic than that, but I feel it's better we let our hero tell his backstory himself in the first update, when we'll actually get some text instead of just all screenshots. Which means, he needs a name. His default name is "Koh," and we can go with that if ya'l'd like...Or you can vote up a new name for him!
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-12-29 at 06:16 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: We're the Man Now, Dog: Let's Play Azure Dreams!

I like Kaeden for a name, or some variation thereof. Kaiden, Kael, Kaelan, Kaelen, Kaelyn, Kailyn.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Koh is a silly name. Kooh is much better.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Call him Ash and/or Ash Ketchum. Whichever.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree with calling him Ash
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash sounds like the only sensible option, yeah.

I'm looking forward to this LP. I remember reading about this game in some gaming magazine or other back before it was released and thought it looked sort of exciting. Never got around to playing it, though, which is where your initiative comes in. Thanks.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Onwards with the hunt for a Training Wand/Diamond Shield then (I never did find a Training Wand, and whilst a Gold Sword is almost as good due to no rust you still get shocked for hitting electrified gribblies).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Considering that his name can only be 6 letters long, max, Ash works pretty well. I'll get started on it.

Edit: Word of advance, this is gonna be a kind of gloomy chapter. I dislike starting off on that sort of foot, but it's what the game does, and I don't have the will to make it funny.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-05-08 at 07:06 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

When you see a dialogue choice I took a screenshot of, Ash is saying the option hilighted by a little blue bar. I'll probably post this on every chapter, just to be safe.

Chapter 1: Memories of Life
    Spoiler
    Show

***Somewhere Outside of Time and Space, but is 14 years and 364 days ago anyway***

At first, there's nothing. And then...Blue. The color blue, the shade of the sky on the other day, comes into focus.

And then there's this jerk.
    "...Huh. Yeah, I guess I am."

"Reborn? What happened when I was born before?"
    And why is this talk of rebirth coming from an angel? Aren't the religions with angels in most universes, or at least angels that look like little fat babies, you know...Not big believers in the whole reincarnation dealie?

Angel: "That is a mystery you'll have to solve yourself. In order for your soul to escape this cycle of death and rebirth, it is a mystery you will have to solve... But God's kind of getting sick of you, so maybe this time... If you don't find out... Your soul will be forever lost."
    "Wait, what?! I'm going to die --"

Angel: "You were already going to die. You do it every time. You're maybe 15 or 16, something like that...And it happens. It's the same death every time, too, within some variation."
    "...Geeze, could you be a bit less blase about my death? I mean, I haven't even been born yet, and you're already giving me a countdown? What'll that do to my development?"
    Angel: "Nothing. Nothing you say or do here is going to effect your life, because you won't remember a word of it. That's why you don't remember having been reborn before, either. Nothing you do sticks."

"...From what I've learning, this gives a lot of reason to fear..."

Worst. Divine Representative. Ever.

"Well...How about Ash? It's got a nice sounds, a lot of meanings..."
    A lot of references...

Why, that almost sounds like enthusiasm!
    Angel: "Try not to screw this one up!"
    ...Thanks. Thanks sooo much.

"Your own life. Your own story..."

"And live life happily and joyfully to the fullest."

"Or else? Or else what?"
    "You know what, I don't want to know. Screw you guys. When I get down there, I am going to not be a member of whatever church in this universe has angels. I'm gonna worship the Arbitrary and Fickle Random Number God. And I'm gonna build my own temple! With slot machines! And girls!"
    Actually, the temple sounds increasingly irrelevant to that plan...

"On your way! Enjoy! Good luck, you poor sucker...You'll need it..."
    "I don't need your luck! I --"

Aaaaaaaah! I'm falling! I'm falling! I take it back, I take it back! Just don't plunge me into a terrible netherworld!
    ...Man, I wish I could have written all of that down. I'm not even born yet, and I can't remember what that dang angel was saying...Something about the color blue?

***** 14 Years, 364 days, and 23 hours later *****

I can't sleep tonight. I guess that with other guys, it'd be excitement. And I am excited. I mean, by law, no one enters the tower until they're 15: it's just too dangerous. And tomorrow, that's me. 15, I mean, not dangerous. No, scratch that: I am dangerous! I'm plenty dangerous!
    ...But... I'm thinking about my dad. I guess I'm just trying to remember him. If dying is your life flashing before your eyes, then I've been dying all night.

It's been replaying, right from the begininng...

*** 15 years ago, or just about (With narration from almost-15-year-old Ash)***

My dad. The best monster tamer who ever lived. I always wanted to know what those things he liked to chew were. He'd always have one, though, and I can't imagine him without one.
    "Ha ha, he looks just like me."

And my mom...I guess I really do take after my dad; Well, that's pretty cool, since he was a manly man! Yeah, that's the sort of man I'll be, too, Dad!

"It's as if God had already picked that name for him a long time ago..."
    Well, I at least like my name. I'm glad I'm not called 'Koh,' or whatever Dad initially wanted to call me.

To be honest, I'm not sure if that's how it went. I bet Mom was a lot more frazzled and conked out than that; she was so exhausted after Weedy was born that she accidentally let me name her so she could sleep... And I bet one of the other women from the village was there.
    ...And...
    Dad went to the tower a lot; he may have missed it... But he would have wanted to be there, so when I imagine it, he is. That's how a lot of my dad is, things I try and fill in from what I can remember. Not everything, but a lot of early stuff. I can't ask him about it, anyway. But Mom said...that he was really proud, and went around the town like a big ol' rooster, telling everyone about his son. That's how I figure he'd want me to remember him as being there...

**** 8?9? Years ago (with narration from present-day Ash)

Nico always looked like a clown. She still looks like a clown…I swear, did she learn how to be womanly from a travelling circus?

Well, she shouldn't have let me make her hit herself all the time! If she wouldn't have, I would have stopped! It's that simple!
    ...Listen, I was...Well, OK, I was like that all the time with her, but the point is, I couldn't have been older than 8!

I had thought he was going to hit me... But as he leaned in close, he just looked me straight in the eye.

In my defense, I don't think you could call Nico a woman to this day... But I guess I'm a man now, so I better treat her like one...Starting tommorow, OK?
    ... But, really, I don't think that happened exactly like that, either. But my dad kneeling down to look me in the eye -- that I remember really, really well.

There's one day, though, that I do know is exactly the way I remember it. I'll be too old to remember my name before I forget those days...

*** 7 Years Ago ***

It was a dark and gloomy day. Those don't happen often...In fact, I think that couple of days was the only time I've ever seen it rain. You see storm clouds off in the mountains... But on that day, they were right over the town. I guess I felt edgy, even then -- all of dad’s monsters in the Monster Hut did.

Dad was at the tower for hours before the lightshow started. Everyone in town looked up at that tower in awe: what was going on up there, that it would start to glow like that?

Mom was pregnant with Weedy, so some of the neighbors were helping out while Dad was out. It was pretty late, and I was already in the bedroom, having trouble staying awake. But something was different, and I didn't want to sleep until Dad came home with whatever the top floor had for him.

Aunt: "Guy's the only one that could possibly make it to the top."
    "Guy..."
    I heard something snap, and my mom gasp.
    Aunt:"What's the matter?"

...What happened, that night?

When the present my dad had given my mother (and, now, it’s the only thing like that we haven’t sold) broke its chain...

When the tower lit up and blasts of magic rained out over the desert?

What sort of fate was waiting? That never happened before, and it's never happened since.

My dad was a part of it, way at the top of the tower. I don't think anyone -- or, at least, not mom and I -- has the power to believe anything else.

...Dad didn't come home that night. Or the next night, either. Only the rain, pounding down into the dirt. It felt like little fists. A lot of the other kids were out playing in the rain, their one chance to feel the water pouring freely down like that.

Grandpa: "Wreath is one tough woman."

Grandpa: "At that ancient tower Guy went to."
    'that ancient tower'...I swear. I mean, it's not like it doesn't have a name. It's...umm...well, it's the monster tower. Either way, it's not some generic 'ancient tower'!

Aunt:"Don't be silly, Grandpa. She's a woman, after all!"

Aunt: "That it's just enough to keep those tears back?!"

A knock came from the door, and we all froze. Or maybe I'm just freezing the memory: the mind's really wierd like that. We all wanted to believe it, but at the same time...My dad never knocked.

The door opened slowly, the sound of the hinges sharp in the silent air. Auntie got ready to be relieved and excited, but the old man withheld his judgment. I was already excited; I almost ran right up to the door, if it weren't for the feeling that had come pouring in with the rain.

Grandpa: "Why is a familiar with Guy's collar here with no sign of Guy?!"
    No one answered that.

And then the rain went and covered up all the noises we made. We waited, mom and I, after the others went home. But it was useless: from that moment, we knew. Guy, the greatest monster tamer, my dad...Was dead.

*** The Present ***

Things were tough after that. There weren't a lot of jobs for women in Monsibaya, and Mom didn't make a lot of money with what we could find. Not enough for my little sister Weedy, myself, and her... We ended up selling all of Dad's monsters, and a lot of his stuff. And even then, we barely scraped by.
    But tommorow, that's all going to change. I have to go to the tower, no ifs, ands or buts! I need to make my fortune, feed my family, make my name!
    ...And find out what happened to my dad, too. Did he make it to the top? Was it a monster, or a trap, or another hunter? What's waiting for me up there?

Tomorrow, I'll do it. I'm going to make him and Mom proud. Tommorow...

...Did I...actually fall asleep...?
    I turn my head a little.
    To see Nico hurtling towards me, her knee ready for the landing.

Owww....
    I hate mornings.

“How'm I supposed to be a man when you do that to me, Nico?”

If my sister keeps encouraging her rampage, I'm gonna go insane...

"Sure you can! You just have to remember that the groin is off-limits!"
    "The Priest is already here! Get up and greet him, hurry!"
    "Yeah, yeah, keep your pants on... Oh, wait. You've just got those trashy shorts, right?"

"Mooom! She's brutalizing me!"

...Eyebrows.

"I just get a bad feeling off of angels..."
    Seriously. Those things cannot be eyebrows. They must be fur boas he glues to his face. Or maybe weasels. The world's longest weasels.
    "I hear from Wreath that you want to go to the Monster Tower. Ho, ho, ho, ho."
    ...No, no, you've got it all wrong: Santa has the big beard, not eyebrows longer than he is tall. Get it straight.
    "That's right! There's nothing else to do in this town!"
    Well, there are shops...that cater to monster hunters... But if it's all about monster hunters, then really: the tower's the only way!

...Yea, though I walk through the valley of enemies with high hit chances, I will fear no critical: for thou art with me, or maybe against me, but your dice art a comfort to me…
    "Mumble, mumble...Mumble, mumble..."
    …Aaaand this is why I don’t go to the temple, reason 246. He’s actually just saying ‘mumble, mumble.’

Ow! That's not fair! I need my head for smart-making!

"I think the monsters aren't going to beat me up half as badly as the people who love me..."

"No, we're not! You'll pay for that!"

That's not what I said at all!
    "Of course!"
    "But...the tower is dangerous. Would you like me to give you information about --"
    "I don't care! Bring it on!"
    "...I suppose. But are you alright with your lack of knowledge?"

"I'm going no matter what!"

"That's right!"

"Mom...You kept this?"
    Because that could have bought me a cake or something.
    But I really thought that her old necklace was the last of it; the rest, we had to pawn.

"...the tower."

I thought I said I wanted the 'no tutorial' version of my day.
    "Oh...And...I saved these, too. They're notebooks your father left. Journals...Letters to you...I don't know if any of them will help, but they may contain useful knowledge."
    "...He wrote me letters?"
    "Sometimes, even he worried about the risk."
    So a man is a guy who knows the danger, but goes ahead anyway, huh? Well, alright!

"Yeah, that's exactly right!"
    "I'm sure that, up in heaven,"

"I won't let him down!"
    I promise, dad. I'm going out, and I'm finding the truth.

”I’m looking forward to what you’ll bring back!”\
    “Yeah, me too.”

"Of course!"
    "Then take this with you."

I take it gratefully. I wonder if you can eat this thing, or if it's just monster chow?

"Shut up, Nico! I'm not gonna stumble on my own doorstep!"
    "Yup!
    Weedy, exactly who are you agreeing with?
    I rush out towards the waiting door. On the other side is my adventure!

...Dangit.

Well, there it is. The point of no return. I've heard that you can't get past this point if you've got too many items on you. The tower is really, really weird like that. You also don’t keep the strength you gain in the tower, but your monsters do. I think it was designed by a really, really drunk Wizard.
    That sign there's supposed to tell you that there are no minors allowed. I'm not sure that it makes any sense at all.
    Here I go... One small step for Ash, one giant leap for Ash-kind!
    ...You know, that doesn't work at all.

Ok, five seconds past the gate, and I'm hearing voices. Stellar.

“Of course I am!”
    ...I don't even have a sword, actually. It was either 'get a sword,' or 'have 3 weeks' worth of meals.' My stomach wants me to die.
    Wait, is that a talking monster? They don’t talk. Not human words.
    “What do you want?"
    "Don't you? I can smell it."

"Couldn't have been better than my dad."
    "I ... don't know much about that."

"So lonely...I'm so lonely...So lonely and so all alone... Got nobody, just me only..."
    "Wacky talking monster I can handle, but start singing, and you push your luck."
    "Sorry. I got carried away... But it's true."

"...That's the dumbest reason for ostraciziation (is that even a word?) ever."

...But you are a monster.
    "Anyway, you can put your collar on me if you'd like."
    "I dunno...I'd almost rather earn my first monster..."
    "But thou must!"
    "...OK."
    It's better than going in alone, right?

So, our new little buddy here needs a name. I'm using my rarely-used vote by suggesting the name I've called him by since I was 11: Jake... I think it was my brother's idea or something.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Nico is kinda cute, but that costume... srsly. >_<
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Azure Dreams is full of wierd fashion choices, but Nico's is the wierdest.

Also, my IM buddy who reads my LPs for the first few chapters and then falls silent votes that the kewne should be called Tai, because he has little goggles.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Call him Wimpy. Also tell him to go home before he gets hurt.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I second Wimpy.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

You realize that that's going to be ironic, since Kewne is actually a good monster, right?

Because while it's not as easy with some other monsters, taking Kewne to the end is pretty viable: I've done it before, with a little Battnel heal-and-magic-bot support. He's not a bad little tank, and he's got the MP supply to handle that sort of fight for a while...I spent a lot of my last run's middle game just sort of hiding behind him while I buffed up my equipment, and at the start of the game, he's invaluable. We'll be using him for an indefinate but probably decent chunk of time (at least the first 12 floors, until we can fuse). I know it sounds wierd that there's a useful mascot character, but somehow it is true.

Also, I had a slightly superior idea for why he should be named Tai than one my buddy suggested: Because then all we would need is a Monster named Genki and we would have characters named after the heroes of all the major 'kids with monsters, based on some manner of electronic game' animes from the late 90's and early 2000s. Unless I'm forgetting some, of course.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-05-09 at 10:19 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ooh, Deme's doing another LP. I think I'm going to spend my free time reading this instead of finishing the game that she's primarily LPing.

I'll go with Tai. Digimon was so much better than pokemon. Interpret that as you will as to how it relates to this game.
    Last edited by fizzmaister; 2011-05-09 at 10:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    I'll go with Tai. Digimon was so much better than pokemon. Interpret that as you will as to how it relates to this game.
    Well, we did charge into a Roguelike dungeon with no equipment, backup, or reason to expect to get anything out of this beyond a grisly death. Which is actually par for the course in that genre, now that I think about it. Let me amend that: We did charge into a Roguelike dungeon. We can't be all that bright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

I have never heard of this game, though I feel like I should have. What system is it on?
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

The version I'm playing is for the original playstation. The game also has a port on the Gameboy Color that I don't like half as much.

(chapter delayed due to bad backspace and Kewne being a little unsympathetic in my first draft)
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

19. - Top - End - #19

Wow. It's really a monster version of Tai from digimon.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, the opposite. He's unsympathetic because the bulk of his original dialogue... Is tutorial. Unskippable tutorial. Making that likeable is hard.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Is tutorial. Unskippable tutorial. Making that likeable is hard.
    You can skip the tutorial by telling him to shut up and go home, right?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. To my amazement, you actually can.

On the other hand, I already have screenshots of Tai's dialogue and a save-state with him with us, and I give us much better survival odds with him in the party...So he stays, and I try and find a way to make his second of three scenes with in-game dialogue into a working characterization.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for the delay, y'all. I had computer difficulties that required re-installing and re-doing everything, and then the editing process... Glarg. I said I'm not accountable for the scheduling, but I did not intend it to take as long as it did.

Chapter 2: Endless Exposition
    Spoiler
    Show

I think back over monsters I've known over the years, searching for a name. Hmm...Something with a T? All of my favorite monsters as a kid had T names.
    "Hmmm...Well, How about Tai?"

"By the way...umm..."

Well, I could have gone the humble or the proud route...But a man should always be proud of himself, and face life with his head held high!
    Hence, I am Mr. Ash from now on forth!

"That obvious?"

The door opens, and I feel a spell pushing at me as I come in.

"Darn right!"
    "But I'll be telling you everything you need to know."
    "I don't need --"
    "You just began... Meaning you have the lifespan of a gnat to someone like me, who's been living alone in the tower for years. You really think you're the first kid I've joined up with?"
    "If they all died, then you couldn't be that good a teacher, now, can you?"
    "Well, you'll learn on the job."

"Just tell me where I should be. If I stand in front of you, monsters will attack me instead..."
    "So, you're a living shield."
    "But you won't be able to attack enemies in front of me, of course. And you'll have to tell me how you want me to help: every tamer I've met fights differently."
    "Like, how?...Anyway, why don't you get behind me: I want all the action!"
    "Well, why don't we talk about that later? The tower sometimes collapses a floor if you stay there too long."
    "...What?!"
    It collapses whole floors?
    "It's cool. You'll be fine."
    Says mr. "I fly all the time even though I have little boots."

I look at my hand and realize I've got a map there.
    "When did this get here?!"
    "The answer to all tower-based questions is 'a wizard did it.'"
    "Why do wizards keep doing weird stuff?"
    He shrugs.
    I take a step and the yellow dot moves, followed by the red dot as Tai catches up to me.
    "Huh...So I'm the yellow dot, and you're the red?"
    "Actually, the red lights are monsters. Purples are traps, and blue are items."

"Huh. Weird."

"What is that?"

"It just becomes a regular ball."
    *snicker*
    "Yeah. You humans and your balls. I remember, this one master I had, he said something like 'if a man can't get by on his balls, then he can't get by at all.'"
    "I should tell that to Nico. Maybe she'd stop her morning barrage if I told her balls are essential to tower climbing."
    We laugh.
    "I'm just going to call them by their spell types from now on."
    "Yeah. Probably for the best."

"A sword!" It's kind of shoddily made, but it's better than beating up monsters with my fists.

I continue through the tower. It's eerily quiet, and even after I pick up some medicinal herbs, I can't help but feel uneasy. Maybe it's the floor, which, except for the bits I can walk on, appears to be a psychadelic, twisting, abyss.
    Real comforting.

"Is everything here shoddily-made?"
    "It's the first floor. Sometimes you're lucky, but more often you're not."
    "Where do these things come from?"
    "I'd guess other humans. When someone's monsters or charms can't get them out when they fall unconscious, usually the monsters kill them. Human bones are full of tasty marrow, so wild monsters normally just crack open the skeleton and chew up the delicious marrow and the vitamin-rich organs. Did you know kidneys are almost pure mea... hey, what's the green look? Humans don't have a camouflage reflex."
    "No, but they do have a gag reflex. So stop talking about how delicious corpses are!"

Holy random number god! It's an egg!
    ...But, this is the first floor, right? So it's bound to suck. I shouldn't get too excited, after all...

Aw, who am I kidding? "Whoohoo! Eeeeeeeggg!"
    "You can hatch monsters in the tower..."
    "I'm smelling a but."

"...After leaving the tower, but one born in the tower will just go back home to their floor. Monsters are territorial."

"But you'll come home with me, right?"

"Excuse me?!"
    "I'll be identifying it by smell. You reek of human poverty...But that makes sense. You're the only real worker, right?"
    "You can tell that by smell?"
    "Humans function off of sight, so I guess you wouldn't get it: with sight, you meet a person, with scent, you meet their family. You've got a mom and a little sister... And a girl, but she's --"
    "She's not my girlfriend!"
    "Exactly! Anyway, I know enough about Monsibiya to know... There's not a lot of work for older women. Or little girls."
    "You're disturbingly good at this."
    "The nose knows!"
    "Or maybe you're a stalker."
    "Can't you just think I'm really smart for a little while?"
    "Oh, alright..."

We walk a little while longer.
    "Anyway, you were saying about styles, mr. 'insults my house'?"
    Which, I want to add, is perfectly fine for a small family, OK?!
    "Right. Your options are limited with just one monster, but you could let me back you up with mixture magic, let me cast directly while you fight, do all the fighting alone, or support me while I fight...Or we fight together."
    "Thats a lot."
    "Some are less viable than others."
    "Yeah, I'm not sure I have the materials to support you."
    He shakes his head.
    "But what's mixture magic?"

"I've got a natural spell, so I can do that right away, no fusing needed."

"I bet we'll be seeing a lot of those..."
    It just sounds like the sort of thing a tower built by an insane wizard full of monsters would have.
    "I have a special ability myself."
    "You can talk?"
    "No, other than that! Well, you'll see...If it becomes relevant."

"Wait, wait. This is going to be rock-paper-scissors, right?"
    "Hey! You're not hopeless! Yaaaay!"
    "Of course I’m not! I’m your master, after all!”
    "Anyway, I'm a fire type, and my spell is a fire spell. I'll only improve on that spell if I'm a fire elemental, so you shouldn't change it if you want me to learn!"
    "Right, right..."
    I'm starting to see why Dad took to writing this stuff down. There's probably a lot more hidden rules.

"Hey, is that a wild monster?"
    Because it looks like a sack of pudding. With spikes.
    "Well, better go kill it!"
    "Wait a second, what about --...Reckless idiot. We never talked strategy..."

"Ow!"
    That's not a lot of damage -- barely a bruise -- but it's a little startling. My first fight's started off poorly...
    As I raise my sword and take a leap up, trying to slam it as hard as possible, I hear Tai mumbling behind me...and see my whole lower arm and sword get surrounded by flame.

And just like that, the flame is gone the moment the swing is done. After a bit of panic, I realize I'm not even burnt. So that's magic, huh?

"Hah! My first victory! An auspicious start!"
    I laugh triumphantly, before I notice that my dad's notebook fell out, and is open to a page with a sketch of the monster.

Pulunpas must be the weakest monster ever. If someone has trouble with one, then he's got to be the most pathetic monster tamer ever!
    ...Way to be a buzzkill, oh written record of my father. Well, I'll do just as well against tougher monsters!

"And up we go! To tower, floor two!"
    "And I think we covered all the basics, so you're good to go."
    At last! Free of tutorials and exposition!...For now.

...That guy's got a pretty big club. I've seen this one in town -- he's called a troll. I don't think he's the sort that likes to be a jerk for kicks. I think he's the sort that hates goats.

And, sadly, he's up before I can do anything.

Man, that's gotta hurt!
    "You OK?"
    "I'll be fine. Later. Eventually. Ow. It's been way too long..."

"There. That'll give you some breathing room."

Yaay, money.

That's...a lot of monsters.
    But I can take them! A man can't run away at the first sign of trouble!

That Noise thing is...weird. Just, really weird.

Holy…! What sort of amazing treasure room is this?

And all I have to do is kill a single troll.

"That's great! Now you can get out!"
    "Awesome! A safe trip home with all my loot is secured!"
    While I'm at it, I pick up a better shield, two seeds to feed monsters to change their types, a sphere of pillar magic, a sphere of binding, and...

"A shield of pure diamond?!"
    "Looks like."
    "I am holding this and loving it and never, ever, letting go."

Thank you, oh Random Number God who Art In Dice.
    I mean, yeah, I could sell it...But it's an investment. Nothing’ll get past this!

I could go up, but why stop now?
    "Onward, Tai!"
    "Right away, Master Ash!"

...I said that, but as it turned out, the floor had only one other room. And it had a single copper coin.
    Kinda depressing, right?

And on Floor 3, I meet a new monster. He looks like he's sleeping, which is good for us. I don't want to know how much he'd hurt.

And we get him just as he wakes up. Good for me.

...So...I warped across the room? That was, for my first trap, kind of pointless.

"Well, I picked up these funny glasses...I guess I'll see what they do."
    "What is it with humans and shoving things on their faces?"
    "Listen, they're probably magic, OK? And you have goggles. You can’t talk."

Then the glasses shattered. On my face.
    "Oh RNG my eyes! Ow, ow, ow!"
    "I'll never get humans."

1 damage? Those things were beating the ever-loving **** out of me before. This shield is awesome!

MWahaha, I don't fear your puny attacks! I AM BECOME DEATH!

...Well, I don't have a troll, so it's kind of useless. I wonder if I can get a nifty hooked sword like that, though.
    I flip through my dad's notebook, trying to find something about curved swords.

I sometimes wish I had a troll sword. But I can't.
    Oh, well. A guy can dream, right?

Anyway, there was nothing interesting on this floor, but I found a thing to help me find traps. I think maybe I should try getting a bit more experience with trap-killing, so here we go!

Sweet, sweet, experience.

Two of these on the same floor? I wonder what they do.

What, is this floor just obsessed with warp and reversal traps?

Ok. Ow. Spiky fella there still hurts.

But he goes down in two shots like everyone else.

"It's my first go, and except for a painful glass incident, I've managed to make it to floor 4 without breaking a sweat. I. Am. Awesome."
    "It's just 10%, Master Ash. Don't get cocky."
    "Did any of your old masters make it that far?"
    "...Most did."
    "Really?"
    "They got to around 5 before the horrible screaming started...But one..."
    "What about that guy?"
    "...Nothing. Forget about him. I've tried to."
    "...Oookay." I guess it's not an adventure without a mysterious-past guy. My dad had a few friends like that when I was a kid. I expected mine to have longer hair.

"Oooh! Pass that over this way, Master Ash!"
    "Why?"
    "Humans can temper their weapons and armor, but for monsters, the only thing we need is seeds! That seed boosts my offensive power, and unlike you, the tower won't strip me of the strength I gain each time I enter."
    "This whole 'magic tower thing is kind of a pain. It kind of sounds like it wants to screw me over."
    "Aaah, the cynicism starts so young."
    "hey, I'm not a kid!"

More pointy things...

Pointy things that deflate and zoom around when I kill them. ooookkkkkaaay.

"Hey, you're a lot tougher now..."
    Tougher than me, but there's no way I'm admitting that.
    "So why don't you stand next to me and help me out?"
    "Sounds like a plan, Master Ash."

It's not better than what I have, it'll be good money. Why can't I find a better sword, huh?

Wow. He just one-shotted that troll!

If given the choice, a monster will attack Tai first. That's good to remember, but I'm not going to hide behind him... All the time.

I'm not asking for the perfect sword. Just a better one. I have a shield. A great shield. You can stop giving me shields, tower!

...Grr.
    Well, time to start cleaning things out a bit.

"Woot! Two trips out!"

Ouch. So that's monster magic, huh? If I weren't worried about conserving strength, I'd try Tai's magic. Next time, maybe.

And so ends the 4th floor.

And onto floor 5.

And I notice that Tai's starting to look a little ragged.
    "Man, those monsters have been ripping into you, huh?"
    "Looks like. I bet you're about to tell me --"
    "Why don't I just tell you? Here. Take the medicinal herb."
    "...Waaah?"

"Let's keep going, OK?"
    "...Well, now I feel like a jerk."

Something about the name rings a bell, and I dig through the notebook again.
    Oleems. Those things are hecka useful: I know that no one will agree with me, but that's because they're feeding them to their monsters as a sacrifice to escape the tower, as nature intended. But if you throw them at an enemy monster...They go bye-bye. Like that, it's a great thing for your bag of tricks.
    "So this is used to get rid of a monster...?"
    "Stop waving that around! And just when I thought you were a nice guy, Master Ash!"
    He flew around in panicked circles.
    "That’s not for you! It’s for our enemies! And he's disdainful of people."

"OK, since you can't hit him from where you are, why don't you back me up again?"
    "That's a pretty good plan. You're not half-bad."
    "Hey, don't damn me with faint praise!"[/color]

With that plan, we take out the monster quickly and easily.

Time to re-organize. Again.

Huh...Acid Rain...I wonder what that does?
    "Well, we'll keep it for now. All this magic better come in handy."

Did that thing...Make a clone when we hit it?

Luckily, the clone is a wuss.

"You're pretty beat. Let me take these next few: just back me up, OK?"

But what I noticed earlier, about monsters prefering to attack my monster...That's especially true here. Tai gets beaten to ground by that...amoeba-thing.
    "I'm bailing...Sorry, Master Ash...Sorry..."
    "It's OK. I'll see what I can't do."

I dispatch the enemy and keep moving on.

Ow.
    Ok, I'm getting out of here. Onward, to adventure!

The tower looks really different up here: how do you get grass in a stone building?
    ...Come to that, where's all this light coming from? I hadn't thought about it before...
    Oh, wait. Wizard. Man, Wizards kill all your sense of wonder.

There's not a lot in here. Well, I'll grab what I can.

Ack! Too many clones! It's like something out of a bad comic book...

"Aww, what a cute flower monster..."
    It's Ok. No one heard that.

Correction. A cute flower monster that can kick my little white hiney.

I reach into my bag to grab a tumna fruit, which turns monsters into frogs and pick it up and...

Ack! I meant to throw that, but it more just sort of fell out of my hand and landed under the monster! New plan, new plan!

"Now that's the power of balls!
    Ok, that's my one extra ball joke." I say. Lying.

These guys are really starting to beat me up. And I have a choice to make: get out now, and make lots of money on the gear, or use up my stuff trying to survive?
    I take a deep breath, and feel my father's notebook in my hand. But I also think about my mom, waiting for me to come home. My sister, depending on me to supply the money to feed her.
    Ok. I retreat for today.

"But next time, tower...Next time...!"

It lands me at my doorstep, and I head on inside.

"Hello, Ash. Had any luck?"
    "Yeah. I got a monster and a good shield and..."
    I yawn. Now that I'm not running around all paranoid, I realize I've been in there for hours, and I'm cut and bruised up pretty badly from those last few fights.

"Thanks, Mom."
    "...Goodnight, Ash."

I collapse onto my third of the bed, and I fall asleep before I'm even fully on it.
    "I'm proud of you, my little man..."

...Oh,dear god, no.

"Can't you be a little less savage than the monsters, for once?"
    "Well, maybe if you could wake up like a normal person: I've been waking you up since we were kids. You'd think I'd have you conditioned by now."

"Morning, Weedy."

Well, that's our haul. We only got one egg, and it's one of those weak little bunny-slime things. I could hatch it, or sell it.

Ok, so, we have a few things to discuss:
    #1: What to do with the Pulunpa egg? They're almost worthless monsters, and we're gaurunteed to get another one. Our hut has only 4 spaces to begin with, though we can upgrade it later. If we do keep it, should we take it with us to the tower?
    #2: In cases like the last bit, where we can probably survive for quite a while, but at the cost of de-valuing our stock and with some risk...Or we can escape easily, what should we usually do? I'll still cut and run when I don't think we have a fighting chance, since 90% of success in this game is knowing the exact moment to cut and run.

#3: Dang, but we're a lucky son-of-a-gun. That shield we picked up is one of the best shields in the game, though opinions differ on whether or not it's the best. The other candidate requires a larger investment, but has a nifty extra benefit... My point is, it's an awesome shield and it could be our shield for the entire rest of the game and I am pleased as punch to have found it so soon.

Also, I'm at the stage of this LP where I'm trying to figure out what works for this game, so feedback would be helpful.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Ok, so, we have a few things to discuss:
    #1: What to do with the Pulunpa egg?
    Sell it. The tower is no place for wimps (present company excluded).

#2: In cases like the last bit, where we can probably survive for quite a while, but at the cost of de-valuing our stock and with some risk...Or we can escape easily, what should we usually do?
    Dying is bad. Don't die.

Also, I'm at the stage of this LP where I'm trying to figure out what works for this game, so feedback would be helpful.
    It's fine so far, but you can only show so many 'troll attacks' screenshots before it gets repetitive.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"BLUME"... german for "flower". Tsk. >_>

That being said, not bad overall. Personally i'd say play it safe and punch out when you're full up on loot and without a way to progress without significantly decreasing it.

Also: keep fewer but stronger 'mons. (How many can you carry around in a party anyway?)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Well, you can only enter with 5 objects (monsters count as objects), so we can't have any more hut-raised monsters than that. Later in the game, we'll get a second collar which will allow us to have two monsters out at once, allowing us to use combos and fuse them. In a maxxed-out hut, we can own 64 monsters.

That said: every monster out splits the exp with Ash and each other. So having two monsters out means that Monster a, Monster b, and Ash each get 1/3 of the EXP. That said, it's a viable strategy: my last playthrough got me to the top with the aid of a Kewne and a Battnel. The Kewne acted as a tank and helped me deal damage, the Battnel provided healing and mixture magic.

Pulunpa, for the record, does not have spells without fusion (it gets deheal, the healing spell, after it survives a fusion. Deheal's mixture magic is nothing special: it's Fire Sword, but water elemental), so it can't provide mixture magic until after a fusion, has no helpful combat traits, and doesn't have good combat stats.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-06-04 at 12:45 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Sell the pulupna unless you want to keep it for fusions, all they're good for is opening up hidden spells.

28. - Top - End - #28

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Ooh, new LP from Deme! Of a game I've never heard of before!

So things to discuss:

1. Since you can't fry it and feed your family for a week, sell it. If you do ever hatch a pulunpa, I vote that it be named Rabite.

2. As much as I like Ash's Man Laws, I'd prefer to play it safe were it me playing, and I vote you do the same.

3. Congratulations! Sure, a sword would be great, but hitting things is what you've got a monster for. If this is as rogue-like as I assume, that shield could mean the difference between getting a swanky new item just before porting out and dying within arm's reach of said item.

I look forward to this. Ash is a fun character to see the world through so far.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    3. Congratulations! Sure, a sword would be great, but hitting things is what you've got a monster for. If this is as rogue-like as I assume, that shield could mean the difference between getting a swanky new item just before porting out and dying within arm's reach of said item.
    It's not quite that roguelike. If you die you get booted out of the tower with only your familiars. Dying is to be avoided if possible, especially when you've just found a sweet item like a diamond shield, because you lose all your items. I generally leave wicked sweet items like Diamond Shields at home until I've got a healthy stock of Wind Crystals (the only truly safe way to leave the tower, don't leave home without one)

Diamond shields are awesome because

Spoiler
    Show
    they don't rust. One of the trap tiles is the rust trap, which applies a permanent -1 to your equipped weapon and shield. This is bad, because your character gets dumped back to level 1 every time you re-enter the tower the only way you can permanently keep stat increases is by powering up your weapon and shield. There are two shields that don't rust, the Diamond Shield and the Mirror Shield. Mirror Shields are a good deal rarer, and along with not rusting they also reflect directly cast enemy spells back at the caster. This sounds sweet but is actually not terribly vital as there are few monsters that actually cast at you. There are also two weapons that don't rust, the Gold Sword and Training Wand (there are other wands but you can't power them up), the Training Wand is the better of the two because it gives more powerful mixture magic and certain enemies shock you when you poke them with a sword, but again is stupid rare)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Now, if I'm not mistaken, the training wand does sadly respond to zappy effects like a sword. I've never gotten one, so I don't know...

I've actually never had a problem finding wind crystals, really. I've always been able to find one, and usually more. A tower run with 2-5 wind crystals isn't unusual to me in the slightest, actually... Of course, some of that may or may not have anything to do with that old safe rumor that goes that if you put a bunch of the same item in the safe, you're more likely to see it in the tower. I've heard different rebutals and supports for it, and I've given up trying to figure out the truth.

Azure Dreams is a late ninties game, which means it's game with a lot of old rumors. Some of which I will make true if need be. I'm kinda-sorta looking at you, Ghosh. And I may also be looking at you, Guy's Ghost.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-06-04 at 07:34 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)