New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [3.5] Various class revisions

I'm currently somewhat bored and in a homebrewing mood, so I'm going to be posting a bunch of stuff in this thread. Here's my first class revision, an improved and useful mystic theurge. I've extended it to 13 levels, allowing you to reach CL17 in one class and 16 in the other, and also thrown in some class features that allow the theurge to take advantage of their large number of spells.

I'll be posting more stuff later, probably paladin- and blackguard-related.

Mystic Theurge

Hit Die
    d4

Requirements
    To qualify to become a mystic theurge, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Skills
    Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks.
    Spells
    Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells.

Class Skills
    The mystic theurge’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill Points at First Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points each additional level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
    All of the following are features of the mystic theurge prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Mystic theurges gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day
    When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class or more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a mystic theurge, he must decide to which class he adds each level of mystic theurge for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Mystic Synergy (Su)
    Once per day, a mystic theurge can sacrifice an arcane spell to apply any metamagic feat he knows to a divine spell he is casting, or vice versa. The spell sacrificed must be of equal or higher level than the level increase of the metamagic feat - for example, to maximise an arcane spell he casts (+3 level increase), he must sacrifice a level 3 or higher divine spell.

At fourth level, and every three levels thereafter, the mystic theurge may use this ability one extra time per day, up to a maximum of 5 times per day at 13th level.

Dualcast (Su)
    A mystic theurge of 4th level or higher who has just cast an arcane spell may cast a divine spell of equal or lower level as a swift action, or vice versa. Both spells cast must have a casting time of one standard action or lower. The mystic theurge can use this ability once per day at 4th level, twice per day upon attaining 8th level, and three times per day at 12th level or higher.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Various class revisions

I can't say I understand the obsession some people have with making the most overpowered classes in the game even stronger.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Various class revisions

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    I can't say I understand the obsession some people have with making the most overpowered classes in the game even stronger.
    Mystic Theurge is hardly the most overpowered class in the game, or even anywhere near it, given to qualify, you lose 3 caster levels out of both, putting you 1-2 spell levels behind where you should be, while results in a pretty huge loss, and leaves you behind the curve basically permanently, since the progression only carries on for 10 levels... so you end up with at most casting as 13th level in one class, and 17th in the other, or 15th in each.

This fix ends with 16th in each by level 19, and you can get 17th (and 9th level spells) in one of the classes at 20th, and compensates for being behind the curve in highest level spells by giving the ability to synergize your two different sets of spells to make up for the power difference.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?