New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Fliudity problems: a comparison of old an' 3.5

Not sure which version the old one was (published by TSR if it helps) but it ran much smoother (combat and otherwise), how could i implement this smoothicity into 3.5?
    minsc's tip o' the month: Magic is impressive, but when minsc leads... SWORDS FOR EVERY ONE
    I quote to make up for my lack of wit. -Me on me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fliudity problems: a comparison of old an' 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by flare X2 View Post
    Not sure which version the old one was (published by TSR if it helps) but it ran much smoother (combat and otherwise), how could i implement this smoothicity into 3.5?
    Define "Smoothicity" please. What are you trying to accomplish?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The system I was playing ran much more smoother with rolls taking shorter laess variables to deal with etc. resulting in people paying attention whilst 3.5's combat is a bit more... stagering.
    minsc's tip o' the month: Magic is impressive, but when minsc leads... SWORDS FOR EVERY ONE

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Play the old edition again?

Really, having tons of powers, rules and modifiers is kinda intrinsic to 3.5. I mean, you could do stuff like cutting half of every class' powers, and removing feats and skills, but you'd arrive at something that really isn't 3.5 anymore.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm DMing so system change not to good an idea. also, considering fixed damage (aprox 50 percent)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Why does DMing mean you can't switch games?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently you haven't played with 2e optional rules and extra books. I'd simply play a low level 3.5 campaign with limited books. Avoid complicated things like summons if possible, or force players to figure out the stats before the session, and make sure players are always ready on their turn either via verbal encouragement or penalties like making them hold their action. If you trust the group then posting monster AC & SR publicly and having PCs pre-roll attacks saves time too.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There are a lot of things you can do. A fireball doesn't take very long. A full round attacker? Have iterations fully fleshed out. I have entries for PA of 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 (when applicable) for every melee character I play. It's my responsibility to be ready to GO when my turn comes up. I don't get to just say, "Ooops, I'm power attacking. Let me recalculate my attack and damage bonii."

Basically, lots of people get away with wasting time because no one calls them out on it. This is really frustrating because most people could cut the amount of time their turns take in half pretty easily.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Make your players keep something like a MythWeavers-style character sheet. Don't give them exp and scrap the exp cost for crafting (exp is a river anyways, right?). Whenever it's appropriate, tell them they leveled up and to update their online sheets and print out a new one (as a bonus, if they forget their sheet, you can print off a new one, and if they forget to update pre-game, they get to stay at their current level for the game). Minor updates from getting new gear can be added to the sheet easily enough.

As with a lot of things, you can save a ton of time if you can cut out the little things that get in your way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by flare X2 View Post
    Truthfully, I'd grab Castles and Crusades.

C&C uses the ascending AC and single-roll resolution that 3e was so popular for, but tends to decrease the numbers of variables on any given roll. You CAN easily import things from 3.5 into C&C... I'm using a sort of fly-by-night version of the Attacks of Opportunity rules... but you don't have to, and you have a lot of wiggle room.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'd ditch D&D entirely, and never look back. Savage Worlds is, for all of its flaws* a good transition system away from D&D, and if smoother and faster is the goal it is away from D&D one wants. Moreover, converting characters to Savage Worlds should be pretty basic.

*And there are a lot of them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    There are a lot of things you can do. A fireball doesn't take very long. A full round attacker? Have iterations fully fleshed out. I have entries for PA of 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 (when applicable) for every melee character I play. It's my responsibility to be ready to GO when my turn comes up. I don't get to just say, "Ooops, I'm power attacking. Let me recalculate my attack and damage bonii."

Basically, lots of people get away with wasting time because no one calls them out on it. This is really frustrating because most people could cut the amount of time their turns take in half pretty easily.
    +1

At the very least, they should have a melee and a ranged attack number that includes all of their "permanent" bonuses- BAB, Str or Dex, + of weapon, etc. so that then they just have to add in situational bonuses.

I would also hope that as people got more familiar with their characters and the system that they'd speed up because they know their favored enemy bonus, what they like to power attack for, etc.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.