New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #791 - The Discussion Thread

I think Roy used his Weapon Specialization in Panel 9, and didn't even leave a scratch on Thog. Can we calculate something about Thog's level with that?

Quote Originally Posted by kladams707 View Post
    Does it make you SAD?
    *sighs* I want a girlfriend
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    I think Roy used his Weapon Specialization in Panel 9, and didn't even leave a scratch on Thog. Can we calculate something about Thog's level with that?

Dude, I don't get you.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calenestel View Post
    Yes I'd say that a good roleplayer builds a character fluffwise first and worries about crunch later
    I'd say that a good roleplayer creates believable characters, and the only way of doing that is to make sure that the "fluff" of the character's personality and characterization is tied to the "crunch" of the character's mechanical capabilities. In many systems, that means the "crunch" has to come first if you're going to be a really good roleplayer.

That's assuming there are such things as "good" and "bad" roleplayers, of course.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hello! Delurk alert! First of all Thank you so much Giant for the awesome OOTS. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Secondly.. About Iq in 3.5 fighter types... The swashbuckler class, complete warrior pp 11, gets to add its iq bonus to light weapon damage at third level... it gets weapon finesse as a bonus feat at first level. I havent made a fighter since.

Thirdly, I love so many characters in OOTS, including Thog. Nale I could enjoy seeing die... Thog.... well... I dont see how.. but I hope he can be reformed somehow, and I think Elan would hope so too.

Thanks again Giant!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eh, sad girlfriends rarely work well with mad men.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    How do you know its a "she"?
    She's in the classic Vallejo female captive pose!

All males to be whipped must be in a standing position when appearing in Sword & Sorcery art...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

Strange how the arms are normal arms, while the back legs are animal legs.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    Dude, I don't get you.
    Means that I'm Single
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Strange how the arms are normal arms, while the back legs are animal legs.
    I believe by the fact that it is a Zebrafolk it is supposed to be bipedal, its just being held down by the chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #220

HalflingRangerGuy

Means that I'm Single
    Read the title of the Strip...

I said

I don't get you :)

Your name is in the title ;)

11. - Top - End - #221

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    Hm, so we're back to the fighters, eh? Well, it looks like Nale did just basically dump Thog here -- so whatever is afoot, Thog is just enjoying himself with a bit of random slaughter.
    Assuming that this plan was made by someone other than Nale, this would indeed make the most sense - Thog is not all that easy to control and probably of the most use as a distraction like this.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dear Rich,

Liked the strip. As a player of a D&D-style system that does take account of high INT, I do tend to forget that high INT is worthless here.

Kinda makes me proud to be a Hacker.

Keep up the good work, and I hope Roy turns out okay after getting Thogged.

Have Fun!
    Niknokitueu
    Join the HackMaster revolution (now new and improved: 5th Ed HackMaster!)
    Getting the Hack on since 2001 - I like my AD&D 'Old School'.

Psyren:
    "Just want to point out that if your argument for [Durkula being] LG relies on pointing to Miko, you may need to rethink it from the ground up."

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    ... In many systems, that means the "crunch" has to come first if you're going to be a really good roleplayer.
    I don't agree. If you have a character in mind to role play, you create the character (fluff) and then add the mechanics to fit to the fluff. I'm sure the OOTS characters are product of a process where the story was used to find the right build. Not the story adapted to the build.

spoilered because off topic
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted to play a character who is yelling "must be a sign of the gods!" all the time while being stubborn and iron willed. So I made a cleric with the feat "Iron Will". And I like it, it makes role play that much easier than playing some exotic contruction that breaks your mouth while telling the backstory.

A really good role player does not necessarily cares about numbers. If you don't do anything stupid your DM won't kill you anyway.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    spoilered because off topic
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted to play a character who is yelling "must be a sign of the gods!" all the time while being stubborn and iron willed. So I made a cleric with the feat "Iron Will". And I like it, it makes role play that much easier than playing some exotic contruction that breaks your mouth while telling the backstory.

A really good role player does not necessarily cares about numbers. If you don't do anything stupid your DM won't kill you anyway.
    If the criteria for killing a character is "Did he do anything stupid today/last time" then that is a horrible DM

Sometimes death is part of the flow of the story and doesn't have to be the end... I think this comic proved that.

Perhaps it is time that Roy creates his own prestige class? He is smart enough and has trained quite. Don't get me wrong, not everyone in the party needs a prestige class but I could see Roy taking this wupping as a life lesson and after seeing how much better Elan got... taking Elan's PrC and fixing it to Int. Hmmm a Roy X Julio fight so that Julio will explain how to create a PrC?

Of course Tarquin may already have that sort of PrC (int to attack and damage) since he is a fighter type and obviously pretty darn smart. Teaching it to Roy for Elan's sake would be a great plot point. Even something like

Tarquin: I'm going to teach you this PrC so that you can help my son. It allows you to add Int to Attack and Damage and it cancels out pun based attacks once you get high enough level.

Roy: Why not just teach it to Elan.... Oh right...
    It's like killing two pigs with one stone!

Anyone looking for group in Pittsburgh send me a message

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll admit, I didn't immediately get the title correctly. Before I read the comic it looked like a reference to GLAD trash bags.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    The wizard's site has some information here. You can also find it in the Tome of Battle book.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    You mean you've never heard of Tome of Battle?!

It's meant to fix melee classes. Think, a 20th level fighter gets 11 bonus feats, whereas a 20th level wizard gets wish, gate, time stop, dominate monster, empowered dominate person, etc. So to balance it, WotC made Tome of Battle, one of their very few smart moves.
    I haven't played Dungeons and Dragons. (For some time I didn't even know that "moral alignment", so often used in Internet memes, came from it.) I have learned most about through OoTS, TV Tropes, these forums, and then by websites like the D'n'D Wiki through links from these forums.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Last edited by H Birchgrove; 2011-05-16 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Double post
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Nice strip Giant.

I think all this PrC talk for Roy is crazy. Roy is a straight fighter and proud of that fact. He aint changing now!

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I'll admit, I didn't immediately get the title correctly. Before I read the comic it looked like a reference to GLAD trash bags.
    Yeah, so was I.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Yeah, so was I.
    me too. took me a second look.

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    I don't agree. If you have a character in mind to role play, you create the character (fluff) and then add the mechanics to fit to the fluff. I'm sure the OOTS characters are product of a process where the story was used to find the right build. Not the story adapted to the build.
    The OOTS characters are D&D 3.0 characters. As I recall, D&D 3.0 character are created by random rolls, which somewhat necessitates a mechanics first approach. Granted more recently created characters - Thog perhaps - would have been allowed to assign their rolls.

If you don't do anything stupid your DM won't kill you anyway.
    What if you want to roleplay a stupid character? Elan's low intelligence would be much less convincing if he'd never done anything stupid.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

The OOTS characters are D&D 3.0 characters. As I recall, D&D 3.0 character are created by random rolls, which somewhat necessitates a mechanics first approach. Granted more recently created characters - Thog perhaps - would have been allowed to assign their rolls.
    Actually, they are 3.5 Ed. And while rolling is a way of determining stats (I, myself, prefer point buy), you usually can assign the rolls.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Colossus in the Playground

To be even more precise, they were 3.0 characters but were updated to 3.5 at the very start of the comic
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Dude, I don't get you.
    Read the title of the Strip...

I said

I don't get you :)

Your name is in the title ;)
    I know ^^

I'm MAD, but I'm also SAD and I'm also not SAD

I'm not SAD not because I'm not Single Ability Dependency, and I'm SAD because I'm single
    Last edited by M.A.D; 2011-05-16 at 11:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234

HalflingRangerGuy

I know ^^

I'm MAD, but I'm also SAD and I'm also not SAD

I'm not SAD not because I'm not Single Ability Dependency, and I'm SAD because I'm single
    Sounds like you're a bit bipolar

Perhaps you should learn to be RAD (Reliable Attribute Diversified)

Oh, and while I'm probably one of the worst people to advise on relationships, putting more points in you charisma can't hurt... it worked for Elan
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2011-05-16 at 02:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

No. No. No. Really, there's O-Chul's joke about his Charisma and Belkar making fun of Elan, but I really really don't think people point buy their stats in the Ootsverse. It's a character generation system that just doesn't translate to any kind of real storytelling. Elan, Belkar, and Thog did not choose to be dumb to boost other stats, they just are.

Roy chose to be a fighter largely in rebellion against his dad. So does that mean that at some point in his early teens he said "Well, gee, I guess I'll have to become stupider or less agile or something so I can boost my strength"? Of course not.
    Last edited by JonestheSpy; 2011-05-16 at 02:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by JonestheSpy View Post
    No. No. No. Really, there's O-Chul's joke about his Charisma and Belkar making fun of Elan, but I really really don't think people point buy their stats in the Ootsverse. It's a character generation system that just doesn't translate to any kind of real storytelling. Elan, Belkar, and Thog did not choose to be dumb to boost other stats, they just are.
    Maybe you could go back and reread my post? I was arguing the exact same thing you are, at least in the case of Elan and Belkar: it wasn't a point buy system, they "just are" dumb - because that's what they rolled.
    Last edited by Warren Dew; 2011-05-16 at 03:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Colossus in the Playground

The OOTS characters are D&D 3.0 characters.
    Were.
    As I recall, D&D 3.0 character are created by random rolls,
    From the rest of your post, I'm gathering that by "random rolls," you mean "rolls which they cannot place as they please." Quite wrong. Roll 4d6 six times, drop the lowest die each time, assemble the results however you want them, was the default method for 3.0ed as it was for 3.5ed.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

Maybe you could go back and reread my post? I was arguing the exact same thing you are, at least in the case of Elan and Belkar: it wasn't a point buy system, they "just are" dumb - because that's what they rolled.
    But you were suggesting that other characters, such as Thog, could be somehow have chosen their stats. And I'm saying no, it just doesn't work across the board. Sorry if using Roy as an example confused that point.
    Last edited by JonestheSpy; 2011-05-16 at 03:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Aren't the stat rolls an abstract anyway? Isn't the point of the random stats supposed to be so...well..I have no idea what the point of random stats are. I always point buy. The characters have their stats because of the way they lived. That is all. Roy has high int because he was well educated and raised in a family of smart people, some of it might be genes as well. He's got good physical scores because he went through what was essentially boot camp and he has his grandfather's genes for good measure. Had he made different choices in life he could have easily become a very high int wizard who may have been slightly tougher than the usual bookworm. The difference is that he "chose."

I'm assuming alot here and its all up to interpretation but, a character who rolls perfect 18 stats wasn't just lucky. Those stats say he/she worked hard physically and mentally before becoming old enough to adventure while someone who roles a lot of 10 s is just an average guy, take the main character of Idiocracy. Always scraped by on the bare minimum. Not a dumb guy, but he's a little too laid back, a very "meh" person. In OotS, yes there are tons of jokes about mechanics, but the random stat rolls are there because your characters rarely if ever have a fully 100% fleshed out background that explains every point they've earned.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

30. - Top - End - #240

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Were.

From the rest of your post, I'm gathering that by "random rolls," you mean "rolls which they cannot place as they please." Quite wrong. Roll 4d6 six times, drop the lowest die each time, assemble the results however you want them, was the default method for 3.0ed as it was for 3.5ed.
    This might work, but then that brings up the master roller issue, which I think Thog is. Thog is the guy who rolled nearly all 6s, so he has placed Str 18(20), Dex 18, Con 18, Int 6(4), Wis 16, Char 18(16)... with the parentheses being his stats after racial mods. Giving us the Dumb but wise, charming, really strong, agile, and tough Half-Orc Barbarian/Fighter... and he probably chose to focus on building his strength and toughness instead of studying to be smarter(of course being a Barbarian and being illiterate probably doesn't help with that)

They also frequently discuss the dump stat, the stat where you dump your low roll so you can have better rolls put elsewhere. So Elan, having been hit in the head, and feeling intelligence just makes the world icky and depressing, chose to be blissfully dumb, but wanted that charisma and agility for all those fun flips and performance skills, and a touch of strength and constitution are needed, after all gymnasts are actually quite strong especially for their sizes and anyone who is going to be dancing and singing needs to have stamina to keep going and going and going (though Haley can probably tell us how large a 'constitution score' Elan has... but there is a reason why Thog is so afraid of girls, cause they've pursued him for his exceptionally well allocated 'constitution score' for all his post adolescent life). As for Roy, well the problem comes that Roy, so he could have that huge brain to go with his Brawn, probably made a major mistake, and placed his 18 in Intelligence (since we know that his combined mental scores were better then V's when they encountered the Squidy-Guy... which since V says he has an 18 in Int and has to have high Wisdom for his spells, but has a somewhat low charisma, and Roy's shown some lack of both charisma and wisdom at times, must mean Roy had at least an 18 in intelligence if not higher from placing points in intelligence when he leveled), leaving his Strength and Constitution a bit lower then max, as well I think where most people have a single dumpstat, Roy has 3 (yes 3... He Sacraficed Dex, Wis, and Charisma, so he could have higher Int, Str, and Con... as seen by his inability to dodge traps and properly freefall, his inability to notice opponents and realize when Belkar is lying, and his general bad attitude)

Roy chose to be a fighter largely in rebellion against his dad. So does that mean that at some point in his early teens he said "Well, gee, I guess I'll have to become stupider or less agile or something so I can boost my strength"? Of course not.
    But you were suggesting that other characters, such as Thog, could be somehow have chosen their stats. And I'm saying no, it just doesn't work across the board. Sorry if using Roy as an example confused that point.
    Actually from the Dumpstat comments, I'd say it is likely they do choose where their rolls go and do choose where to allocate their bonus attribute points... Belkar recently may have taken a point of wisdom from the experience from his brush with death, and it is staring to show. Roy had to have some way to move his Intelligence and overall Mental Scores higher then V's for the Squidy-Guy to think him the most appetizing thing to eat, and as we've seen over and over, knowledge of the system allows them to affect it (delayed hits and damage due to correcting the previous rolls, roleplay xp, knowing about how feats affect matters, knowing how to cross-class for bonus feats, and knowing which stats to optimize so not to waste time with an attribute that gives no bonuses to attack/damage/crits/etc.)