New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Now, I could just make Glamerweave work like any magic item, using the bit at the end of the DMG to determine its cost, but what would be the point of 3.5 if you couldn't be a bit needlessly complex from time to time?

New Feat:
    Glamerweaver
    Prerequisites: 5 ranks in a Craft skill to do with making cloth, such as weaving. You must also be able to cast at least one spell from the school of illusion, or have a spell-like ability from the school of illusion, or have a supernatural ability that creates an illusion. Zil gnomes (from Eberron) need not have the latter requirement, as long as they are able to cast prestidigitation as a spell-like ability.
    Benefit: You can create Glamerweave garments. Below is a chart detailing the different garments which can be made and the Craft DC to make them. The Craft skill used must be the one used to qualify for this feat. A Glamerweave garment only produces its effect when the wearer moves their body in a certain way, reflecting ambient light to make an illusion. It takes one day of tutorship from someone who already knows how to activate Glamerweave garments to be able to recreate this effect, and the wearer must concentrate whilst doing so, as if casting a spell with a duration of concentration. If you take a standard action whilst moving in this way you must make a DC 10 concentration check not to lose concentration. All Glamerweave effects are supernatural. No Glamerweave effect works in areas of no illumination.
    {table=head]Effect|DC

Beauty Weave|

Capture Image|
    10 + HD of target creature/CL of target magic item (non-magical items are DC 11)

Versatile Garment|
    17 + # of possible forms

Disguising Glamerweave|

Silent Glamerweave|

True Glamerweave|

+1 DC|
    +2
    [/table]

Beauty Weave: This weave grants a +1 bonus on Diplomacy checks. It is made with a beautiful pattern of silver and coloured threads. Market Price: 300gp

Capture Image: To make any Glamerweave other than the Beauty Weave, the creator must have captured the image of the thing he wants to represent with the illusion. To capture the image of a creature the DC is 10 + its HD, to capture the image of a magic item the DC is 10 + its caster level, and the DC to capture the image of a non-magical item is always 11.

Versatile Garment: Made out of silver thread, with a very small opal at the back of the neck, this weave changes what it looks like depending on the wearer's mental instructions. It can give the illusion of the wearer wearing any clothing or suit of armour, magical or otherwise. However, the wearer gains no statistical benefits of any kind other than this, even if the benefit of a piece of clothing is based on its appearance. The only other benefit might be mimicking a certain uniform, or disparaging attacks. The Will save to disbelieve this illusion is 11 plus the wearer's charisma modifier. The DC to create a Versatile Garment is 17 + the number of garments to be included. The image of any garment must already have been captured by the creator of this item with a Capture Image check. Market Price: 150gp + 20 for each garment over two

Disguising Glamerweave: Made out of silver thread with gold patterns flowing down it, this weave mimics the effects of the Disguise Self spell, but with the following alterations. The target is always the wearer. The disguise is permanently set to that of a particular creature whose image has been captured by the creator with a Capture Image check. Alternatively, the disguise could be set to change the appearance of the creature in a certain way, making them appear thinner or appear to have green skin. This requires no check beyond the check to make the weave itself. The Will save to disbelieve the illusion is 11 plus the wearer's charisma modifier. If the creature could not be affected by the Disguise Self spell in the way specified at creation, they gain no benefit from wearing this weave. Market Price: 350gp

Silent Glamerweave: This weave looks much like a disguising Glamerweave, but has a different shine to it in the way the gold threads reflect light. It mimics the effects of the Silent Image spell, but with the following alterations. The image always occupies the same square as the wearer. The image is permanently set to that of a particular creature or object whose image has been captured by the creator with a Capture Image check. The Will save to disbelieve the illusion is 11 plus the wearer's charisma modifier. As it is the Silent Image spell, if the wearer speaks he or she is heard normally. The image always moves with the person, its limbs working in sync with theirs. If it is targeted with an effect such as a spell or attack, the wearer of the Glamerweave becomes the target instead, but the image changes to appear as if it has been a real thing affected by the effect. Market Price: 500gp

Major Glamerweave: Made purely of gold thread, this weave mimics the effects of the Major Image spell, but with the following alterations. The image is permanently set to that of a particular creature or object whose image has been captured by the creator with a Capture Image check. The Will save to disbelieve the illusion is 13 plus the wearer's charisma modifier. If the wearer speaks, her voice is heard as if the creature of the image had said the words. If the creature cannot speak, or if the illusion is of an inanimate object, the wearer's voice is heard normally. The image always moves with the person, its limbs working in sync with theirs. If it is targeted with an effect such as a spell or attack, the wearer of the Glamerweave becomes the target instead, but the image changes to appear as if it has been a real thing affected by the effect. Market Price: 1300 gp

+1 DC: This increases the Will DC to see past the illusion created by the Glamerweave by one. It increases the DC to create the object by 2. It also multiplies the market price by 1.5.

Special: 5 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) grants a +2 synergy bonus on craft checks made to use this feat.
    Being a Zil Gnome grants a +2 racial bonus on craft checks made to use this feat.

What do the peeps think? Too low checks/prices? Too high? Not even a viable idea?
    Last edited by TheLonelyScribe; 2011-05-22 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Changed prices

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Wow, this is actually quite cool.

The current Base-Class Challenge is cloth themed, and the class I am making, a Stitch Witch, seems like it would be perfect with this. Unfortunately, it doesn't have access to Illusion spells or effects. Do you think I could give it to them as a bonus feat anyway? Their abilities all involve weaving threads with magic into something, or weaving magic itself.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Thank you very much!

Well, when making this feat I thought of giving characters with the ability to do illusions and make cloth the ability to do magic with cloth. However, I should think that, as long as you have two of the factors, you qualify for the third, so this feat should work for any Stitch Witch who thinks it appropriate.

Augment Glamerweave
    Prerequisites: Glamerweaver, 10 ranks in Craft skill used to qualify for Glamerweaver
    Benefit: You can apply any of the effects below to a Glamerweave you create.
    {table=head]Effect|DC

No Concentration|
    +10

Changeable|
    +20

No Will Save|
    +20
    [/table]

No Concentration: The wearer need not concentrate to gain the benefit of the Glamerweave for up to 10 consecutive rounds. After this the Glamerweave must 'rest' for five rounds, either requiring the wearer to concentrate or simply reverting to its normal, non-magical state. Market price is multiplied by two.

Changeable: A changeable Glamerweave has opals and gems around the collar. The wearer can change the illusion which the Glamerweave projects to that of any object or creature they are familiar with 1/hour. Market price is multiplied by five.

No Will Save: A Glamerweave with no will save has diamonds embedded in the fibres. The illusion projected by it cannot be disbelieved. Market price is increased by 10,000.
    Last edited by TheLonelyScribe; 2011-05-23 at 08:47 AM.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome!

That second feat is awesome as well, since the class had two dead levels.

Question/Balancing Time: Do the glamerwoven items last indefinitely, as long as you are concentrating? If yes, then the cost would be something like:

Beauty Weave: Bonus squared, times 1000, for a skill bonus item. Since it requires a move action each round in order to keep concentrating on it, you could probably mitigate that down to like, 200-300. You should probably give it a Will save to ignore the bonus. That would nicely round it out.

Versatile Garment: This is probably not worth 200gp + 30gp per costume over two. I would make it more like 150gp + 20gp per costume over two. The base price is pretty high, considering that A) it doesn't really have any direct effects, and B) it requires concentration. Having a lot of costumes is the only benefit, so making it higher in order to have a lot of costumes is kind of annoying for the buyer.

Disguising Glamerweave: 1st level spell x Caster level 1 x 2000 gp = 2000 gp. I can definitely see the concentration mitigating this down to 400 gp. I would change it to a little bit lower than that, even. Considering you can only get one creature with this effect, and you have to capture their image beforehand, it doesn't seem 400 gp is really a good price. 350 gp or 300 gp seems better.

Silent Glamerweave: This seems almost perfectly priced. The effect is effectively permanent, and it mirrors the spell very closely, but this is mitigated by concentration, and because it can only ever do one creature, whereas an item of Silent Image would be able to change the creature. The attacks being redirected towards the caster is a good bonus.

True Glamerweave: Is this supposed to be Major Glamerweave?
    Anyway; it seems kind of high. Caster level 5 x 3rd Spell level x 2000 gp is 30,000 gp. But that is mitigated by the concentration, the only one creature effect, and the attacks being redirected. Basically, this effect is the same as Silent Glamerweave, but with speech, and a +2 to the DC. +2 to DC is the same as x 1.5 x 1.5 if my math is right (or x3 if I am not), and the speech is worth maybe an extra 100 gp. 400*1.5*1.5 = 900 (400*3= 1200). Plus maybe 100 gp is 1000 gp (1300 gp), definitely not 7000 gp.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Well, this is cool, but I don't see how making yourself look pretty is worth a feat, up until you get silent glamerweave, at which point you have a decent advantage in combat--though it doesn't provide you with any benefit bonuswise.

Due to the nature of items and feats providing ridiculous skill bonuses, I'm in favor of dropping the ability to ignore saves, or if you let saves get ignored, make the DC price 45 or something (since it's +2 DC to a skill check to provide +1 DC to the illusion, 1 RNG will be +40 DC to the skill check, and the "no save" material needs to be higher than that. It might as well be an epic use of the skill.)

I'd also add the "changeable" and "concentration" benefits into the original table because they don't really warrant a feat of their own.

Other than that, I like the fact that you're making Craft useful for something other than basketweaving.

EDIT: I just noticed that you can give this to your friends... holy crap. Maybe put a time constraint on how long these take, or how many of yours can exist in a day, because what came to mind is that every stealth soldier will have one of these with like 10 different costumes on it.
    Last edited by YouLostMe; 2011-05-22 at 11:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YouLostMe View Post
    Due to the nature of items and feats providing ridiculous skill bonuses, I'm in favor of dropping the ability to ignore saves, or if you let saves get ignored, make the DC price 45 or something (since it's +2 DC to a skill check to provide +1 DC to the illusion, 1 RNG will be +40 DC to the skill check, and the "no save" material needs to be higher than that. It might as well be an epic use of the skill.)
    +1 to the DC also increases the market price by *1.5. I don't know if it does this only once or for each time it is added, but there is still that mitigation there.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    +1 to the DC also increases the market price by *1.5. I don't know if it does this only once or for each time it is added, but there is still that mitigation there.
    I didn't really look at prices, since I'm pretty sure that wealth problems won't crop up. If you need money for materials, just sells some more lesser-priced glamerweaves.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I've adjusted the prices, since the advice seemed well-thought out. However, I'm not sure about YouLostMe's changes, I may wait this out for a little while to see what goes on.

I'm pretty sure that wealth problems won't crop up. If you need money for materials, just sells some more lesser-priced glamerweaves.
    This logic would mean that wealth problems would never crop up in D&D at all if at least one member of the party had a craft or profession skill. For a variety of reasons, one being time, just making things is not a viable source of wealth for an adventuring PC.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely think the cost adjustments in Augment Glamerweave should be boosted by a little bit, though. +4000 gp for No Save is far too little. Also, how long do the Glamerweaves last?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The weaves are supposed to last indefinitely, until damaged extensively (they can be damaged as mundane objects). Is that over powered?

I've changed the no will save price up to +10,000. I'm really not very good at pricing things, so I'll need help with all that sort of thing. I'm planning to make a weave which does defensive shadow conjuration next.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, lasting forever but being able to be destroyed isn't bad at all. I would put a definite duration that the thing can concentrate for the No Concentration ability. It limits the power of the ability, and makes some sort of sense. Like, I would imagine, that the thing can only concentrate on its own for up to something like 10 rounds at a time, and then you have to concentrate for it. So, it effectively allows you to fight with it, but still needs you to concentrate in most every other situation.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

That makes quite a bit of sense. I've changed it, but should that mean a change to the DC adjustment? Probably not, but maybe.