New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Narrate-an-Ending

Does anybody else do this?

We finished off a campaign last night but there were still plenty of little loose ends. But as the loose ends were not the focus of the campaign and all the truly important stuff had been carried out we didn't know what to do next.

One suggested we leave it open for a sequel campaign.
    Another suggested we narrate an ending for the loose ends that we all like.

We talked about future battles and what happened in them. We talked about NPCs and what happened to them next. We talked about the player characters and what they all went on to do.

One player described his character being killed in the big battle with the dragon. That suprised me!
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: Narrate-an-Ending

Depends. When I'm running a campaign that sees the characters travel from their hometown to a far away land, I narrate what happens to the NPCs who stayed behind in that other country when the PCs went home again, to give some closure ("that NPC used the money you gave them to start a shop and got rich, that NPC married the other NPC you introduced him to..." etc). Stuff they take home might get resolved, too, unless it's a good plothook. And even if it's resolved, it might be revisited - an NPC they bring home may get a narration ("and they went on to do this and that and lived a happy life") but they might just as well become a recurring character. :)
    Most of the time I do a narration though, just to wrap the most important storylines up and really give it closure.

Then again, it also matters that I'm running subsequent campaigns with the same character, not unconnected campaigns with new characters every time, so there's more opportunity to revisit loose ends later on.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

No, all of mine end with a solid, "You saved the world. Attaboy (or girl), now have a cookie, and roll a new character."

Unless we're starting a new campaign with the same characters, then all the open plot hooks remain open, all the loose ends remain loose, and all the unkilled baddies remain unkilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I always narrate endings.

But the way I narrate them is "hey, Player, what does your PC do next?" This helps each Player achieve some sort of closure for their character's development arc and - in case of follow-up campaign - provides fodder for the future. As a DM, all I do is ask questions of the Players to make sure everything is tied up one way or another.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Depends on the game, naturally. For the horror game I ran last Halloween, I narrated the ending to the PCs... that certainly worked well enough...

There are other instances where narration is appropriate, of course.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I can only speak to the one campaign I successfully ended. It tied up nicely, an ending narration was quite a good piece of catharsis for everyone.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.