Thread: Gnome Fan Club

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Gnome Fan Club

Welcome to the Gnome Fan Club!

Spoiler
    Show
    from the PHB, page 57

Gnomes are just the best. The most interesting of races, the tread the borderline between fact and fiction, on one side being renowned inventors, tinkerers and scientists, but on the other side being great storytellers and illusionists. Each one is infused with magic, and they live in burrows!

This is the thread for those who love Gnomes, and who want to nurture them with their homebrew creations. Anything is welcome here, whether it be sub-races, spells, feats, PrCs, or whatever else. Extra fluff or any other information on Gnomes and how you keep them is accepted, even simply rants on the subject. Just keep it Gnomish.

My first contribution:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnomish Pride
    You tread the line between fact and fantasy particularly well
    Prerequisite: You must be a Gnome to take this feat
    Benefit: You gain +2 checks in any one knowledge skill and +2 to bluff checks.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Gnome Fan Club

A gnome Spell:

Foodricate
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: See Text
    Range: Close
    Target:Up to 1 cu. ft./level; see text
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell converts cooking ingredients into a prepared food. For example the caster could have all the ingredients in a kitchen together to make an apple pie. The magic of this spell cooks, bakes, cools and otherwise prepares the food to be ready to eat at the end of the spellcasting. This spell does not create ingredients out of nothing, so you will need apples to make an apple pie, for example. Living creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the foodricate spell. The quality of food made by this spell is commensurate with the quality of ingredients used as the basis for the new fabrication.

You must make an appropriate Profession(Cook) check to foodricate foods requiring a high degree of craftsmanship. Created food is at room temperature, unless a skill check is also made to raise or lower the temperature of the food(DC varies). A skill check can also be made to make minor alterations to the final food, such as writing a word with icing.

The spell can make up to 1 cubic foot of prepared food a level, assuming that a sufficient amount of all ingredients are present. The final prepared food need not be a single item, but may be several dozen loafs of bread, for example.
    Casting requires 1 round per 1 cubic feet of material to be affected by the spell.
    Material Component-The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created.

Lore:This spell was originally created by gnomes. Gnomish legends say the spell was created by a hardworking gnome inventor who could just never find the time to stop his work and make anything to eat. So he crafted this spell to make food for himself. Another gnomish legend says this spell was created by a gnome as a substitute for doing the actual chore of cooking. And a third, non-gnomish legend says this spell was created by gnomes to help feed the voracious appetites of the hungry halfings that would come to visit gnome villages.

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Nosemorph
    Transmutation (polymorph)
    Level: Clr2, Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target:1 Creature
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)

This spell changes the shape of the targets nose, similar to the spell polymorph. The effected creature must have a humanoid face and a nose to be effected by this spell. The changed nose greatly enhances the target’s gnome or gnome-like qualities, making it appear more attractive, personable, and worthy of respect and admiration by gnomes. The target gains a +4 circumstance bonus to checks to influence gnomes (such as Diplomacy, Intimidate, and so on).

Arcane Material Component-some gnome nose hair

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Lovin' the Nosemorph.

Old Man Beltl Girsdoen Skymaster Mendledon Aksetskl
    Few know much about Beltl's history, but he was certainly an eccentric even before he became famous. Devoted to one day being able to fly his own airships, even without the mark of the storm, he worked every day to get closer to his own dream of sailing the skies independently, free to roam the world. However, his attempts were snubbed and snubbed again until one day he gave up; focusing his energies on making airships and selling them, eventually getting himself a veritable hoard of gold.
    The most famous part of his tale is the creation of his last airship, which he later named the Free-Minded Flyer. Whilst going through the normal binding process with an air elemental, the elemental thanked him profusely, as it had been facing death at the hands of adventurers on the elemental plane of air, and was willingly bound into the airship. Now Beltl lies on his back as the massive ship, crewed by his permanent Unseen Servant spells, roams the skies, fully in control of the air elemental. He sits on the open deck telling it stories and general having a good time; and, although it cannot speak, sometimes the crackling of its lightning has a hint of laughter to it.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyScribe View Post
    Old Man Beltl Girsdoen Skymaster Mendledon Aksetskl
    Few know much about Beltl's history, but he was certainly an eccentric even before he became famous. Devoted to one day being able to fly his own airships, even without the mark of the storm, he worked every day to get closer to his own dream of sailing the skies independently, free to roam the world. However, his attempts were snubbed and snubbed again until one day he gave up; focusing his energies on making airships and selling them, eventually getting himself a veritable hoard of gold.
    The most famous part of his tale is the creation of his last airship, which he later named the Free-Minded Flyer. Whilst going through the normal binding process with an air elemental, the elemental thanked him profusely, as it had been facing death at the hands of adventurers on the elemental plane of air, and was willingly bound into the airship. Now Beltl lies on his back as the massive ship, crewed by his permanent Unseen Servant spells, roams the skies, fully in control of the air elemental. He sits on the open deck telling it stories and general having a good time; and, although it cannot speak, sometimes the crackling of its lightning has a hint of laughter to it.
    I got a chuckle of joy at this buddy story.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I call for an artist's illustration

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So what do y'all people think of kobolds?
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    So what do y'all people think of kobolds?
    I think Bhu already has a thread on the subject...
    (I suspect I am missing the point and this was supposed to be a joke of a sort that if it was meant more seriously would qualify as flame-bait.)
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-05-26 at 05:58 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I think Bhu already has a thread on the subject...
    (I suspect I am missing the point and this was supposed to be a joke of a sort that if it was meant more seriously would qualify as flame-bait.)
    It was meant as a joke, seeing as how in my current campaign the players (and those reading the journal) there is a divide between kobold-lovers and gnome-lovers. All friendly of course. (Plus I've seen such a trend in other places online as well.)

Myself, I like it when I see every race get something special of their own. Hence why I fully support this thread. I found your PrC to be amusing by name and useful by its abilities when I first came across it.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-05-26 at 06:09 PM.
    YouTube channel:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I found your PrC to be amusing by name and useful by its abilities when I first came across it.
    Yeah, I just hope the first doesn't turn people off of the second.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Grr... Gnomes. *kobold fa; can't find a purpose for Gnomes*

Find me a role for them that Halflings and Dwarves don't do better other than the random 'Illusions!' schtick.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Artificer?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Dwarves have the "I make awesome equipment!" market cornered.

Halflings have the 'sneaky' role down pat. And a race that's only comic relief is... yeah... =\

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Fey creatures of the earth.

Gnomes were originally (in D&D) magical dwarves, and are closer to the unhallowed offspring of elves and dwarves than to halflings. That said they're pretty cool.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post

Halflings have the 'sneaky' role down pat. And a race that's only comic relief is... yeah... =\
    That doesn't make for a good argument (and in this thread is probably flame bait), if you take away what the Gnome's good at, what else is there? That's not very fair

but anyways
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-05-27 at 11:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Your spoiler is empty Dvandemon.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

@Zaydos: So Gnomes are "Midget Elves" then?

@Dvan: My entire point is basically "Gnomes are only good at things that are already covered" Saying that it's not fair for me to take away the only things they're good at isn't really helping your point.

However, this is more than slightly off topic. I'll go write a topic up elsewhere.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Gnome Flaw:

Arcane Conundrum

You are unable to use your inborn magical abilities.

Perquisite: Gnome, Cha 10

Effect: You may never use any spell-like abilities under any circumstances. In addition, you suffer a -2 penalty on saving throws versus spells of the illusion school.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Can someone come up with a medium sized conversion for gnomes that isn't just increasing their size to M? I've been trying to cook up something along the lines of powerful build like half giant have only the opposite, call it "slight build" or something to compensate for the increased movement speed (or just keep it at 20 like the dwarf) Anyone have any ideas?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

@Zaydos: So Gnomes are "Midget Elves" then?
    How is that any different than Half-orc and Half-elf? Do they have roles that humans, orcs, and elves don't do better?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHobo View Post
    Can someone come up with a medium sized conversion for gnomes that isn't just increasing their size to M? I've been trying to cook up something along the lines of powerful build like half giant have only the opposite, call it "slight build" or something to compensate for the increased movement speed (or just keep it at 20 like the dwarf) Anyone have any ideas?
    Slight build already officially exists. Kobolds have it. Irony!
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-05-27 at 03:29 AM.
    YouTube channel:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Slight build already officially exists. Kobolds have it. Irony!
    Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking, but giving gnomes that, as well as making them medium would kind of make them over powered, don't you think?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Generally, I tend to give Gnomes the role often assumed by "High Elves". In settings where I use the traditional races, Elves tend to be nomadic forest dwellers, nature casters and sages, Dwarves are smiths and miners, but gnomes are wizards and scientists. They are the only core race with spell-like abilities. They have magic in their blood, and more than half of them are born with the ability to just create illusions instinctively. And they love illusions. Why paint a picture when you can just imagine it on the wall with enough power to make it seem real? Why get real gemstones when the magical ones can change colour and shine?
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

25. - Top - End - #25

Dwarves make awesome weapons, armour and big grand magical items and stuff.
    Gnomes tinker. They do gadgets and gizmos and useful things that you hardly ever use but always get stuck in drawers.
    Gnomes are to Dwarves what Leonardo da Vinci is to Henry Ford.
    And, in my game, gnomes are the aforementioned tinkerers, the pirate-kingdoms, the semi-steampunk and, in one large region, they're the "Jews" (in the medieval, slightly distrusted moneylenders type sense) of the continent.
    One of the best characters (not mine) in my game is a gnome, and she rawks.

Gnomes should get a bonus to Craft (Gizmo)...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Two things. One, remember this is in the Homebrew forum, although I may set up another branch of the GFC in the roleplaying section.

Two, a response to NineThePuma's comments:
    First you started your response with 'apart from illusions'. That's kind of like saying: apart from their thievery skills, what's cool about Halflings? Apart from their mountain strongholds and crafting, what's cool about Dwarves? Apart from magic and tree-houses, what's cool about Elves? Although there are, arguably, other cool things about those races, there are other cool things about Gnomes.

Secondly, you said that you couldn't see anything about Gnomes that wasn't already fulfilled by Dwarves and Elves: you could just as well say that you can't see anything about Dwarves and Elves that wasn't already fulfilled by Gnomes. Again, I think that, actually, there are substantial differences.

Although, indeed, Dwarves do have a crafting thing going on, they don't have a innovative, magical crafting thing going on, which is actually quite a big difference in the world of D&D. As Serpentine said, they are tinkerers and inventors, whereas Dwarves are rigid followers of traditions and rules. In fact, that is another place in which they differ considerably: outlook. Dwarves are all about seclusion, tradition and law; whereas Gnomes are all about trickery, pranks and evolution. Quite a different role in the world I would say.

However, I did start this post with a plea to return to homebrew stuff, and so here's a little thing just before I go:
    Gnomish Magic
    Prerequisites: Gnome, Cha<10
    Benefit: In respect to spell-like abilities granted from being a Gnome, you behave as if you had 16 Cha. In addition, you gain one more use of Prestidigitation each day.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

The Nose Knows
    Transmutation (polymorph)
    Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target:1 Creature
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)

This spell changes the shape of the targets nose, similar to the spell polymorph. The effected creature must have a humanoid face and a nose to be effected by this spell. The changed nose grants the following abilities: Scent special quality, +2 insight bonus to armor class, +6 bonus on alchemy rolls, +4 on profession(herbalist) and profession(cooking) rolls.

Focus-The caster must have, or at least touch the nose of a living gnome.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

The Zil Gnome, a Gnome better adjusted to how they're represented in the Ebberon campaign setting:

Change ability adjustments to -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence and Charisma

Lose low-light vision, weapon familiarity, bonus to attacks against goblins and kobolds, bonus to defence against giants, bonus to listen checks and Dancing Lights as a SLA.

Speak with Animals is now limited to those with 10+ charisma, and Prestidigitation is automatic.

+2 bonus to Bluff and Sense Motive checks. Gnomes are all caught up in a dense net of very enjoyable lies and intrigue, and so are accustomed to trickery in all it's many forms.

A gnome with a charisma of 10 or more has a slight alteration to his prestidigitation ability. Instead of only being able to use it for one hour once per day, the gnome receives a kind of 'prestidigitation reserve' of 1 hour. He or she can use prestidigitation for up to 1 hour per day, but this amount of time need not be continuous. This allows for a gnomish mother to have tidied herself up in the morning, as is customary, but to also wipe some dirt off her child's face later in the day.

A gnome can use prestidigitation for an additional hour per day for every point of charisma bonus he or she has.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Dwarves make awesome weapons, armour and big grand magical items and stuff.
    Gnomes tinker. They do gadgets and gizmos and useful things that you hardly ever use but always get stuck in drawers.
    Gnomes are to Dwarves what Leonardo da Vinci is to Henry Ford.
    I think I figured out a better way of putting this.
    To dwarves, magic is an art. It's old and proud and noble and grand.
    To gnomes, magic is technology. It's for fiddling with and experimenting and using for day-to-day conveniences.

...I had an extra line, but I forget it.

30. - Top - End - #30

I love gnomes! The two people that I usually play with (My roommates) are preoccupied with appearances, and they say they prefer their elves to be more "Tolkienesque" so elves in their worlds are actually closer to seven feet tall and pretty boys, while gnomes don't exist at all.

Here's a feat that I always thought should have been created.

Gnome Spell Focus
    Illusions don't just run in your blood. They leak out your ears, which makes you even more fantastic at parties than normal gnomes.
    Prerequisite: Gnome, Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), Caster Level 10
    Illusion spells you cast receive a +2 bonus to their DC. This feat stacks with Greater Spell Focus, Spell Focus, and your racial bonus. Additionally, if you have a racial bonus to saving throws versus illusions, it increases by 2.