New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #792 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Oh yeah. Hmm. Why is he saying the six of us though? He's locked away and is uninvolved.
    "Everyone knows they're no real threat to the six of us"

If that's true it's true regardless of what Belkar and the rest are doing. "No real threat as long as we stay together and constantly keep our guard up" is a quite different statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    This struck me too, with respect to the whole linear guild: why is the linear guild attacking now? One would think the fiends would want to wait until the order of the stick got control of the gate, and have the linear guild take it from them. The best I can come up with is that Nale jumped the gun when the fiends would have been more patient. I suppose the fiends might also think that the linear guild has a chance of taking out the entire order of the stick permanently here, but they seem too smart for that.
    The Fiends don't actually control the Linear Guild, they control Sabine, but she's not in charge. The Linear guild is their tool, but they're manipulating from the shadows not controlling.

Hence what they want isn't actually all that important to what the LG does.

DougL

2. - Top - End - #302
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i like the LG. recurring villians that show up at random times is always fun. after awhile it will get dull, hopefully someone major from the LG dies within the next 2 encounters. hopefully not thog.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The elven drag queen just signed its own death warrant. Same goes for rat-boy.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Firbolg in the Playground

confused Re: OOTS #792 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Calmness View Post
    The elven drag queen just signed its own death warrant. Same goes for rat-boy.
    I get you're talking about V, but who is rat-boy?
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2011-05-26 at 03:55 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

At first I was upset with the prospect of Scruffy dying, but now that I've thought about it, I think I would be fine with it. I don't really care about Scruffy that much, it's really more Belkar's interactions with Scruffy. And since Belkar is dying soon, seeing Belkar deal with that loss may be the last thing we see him do, and that would be an interesting way for him to go out.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I get you're talking about V, but who is rat-boy?
    The one member of that crappy orange race we have in the comic.

7. - Top - End - #307

...You mean the kobold?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Not understanding the rat bit. . .
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Not understanding the rat bit. . .
    That's ok. It's just me being weird.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

So, who else is hoping that this story line will end in Belkar's death? *raises hand*

I propose starting a "Can't-Wait-Until-Belkar-Dies,-The-Cocky-Psychopath" club.
    My wonderful Avatar is by licoot.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Anarresti View Post
    So, who else is hoping that this story line will end in Belkar's death? *raises hand*

Count me in too.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Belkar might die, but he'll be back (sans breathing).

Perhaps his ghost can possess Mr Scruffy? then when the world ends (end of next book) the Blue Fairy can turn him back into a real boy.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Calenestel View Post
    Well, to be fair Belkar is supposed to be an aversion of the usual friendly, likeable and Good halfling. If he had been more like Frodo (or better yet: Sam or Pippin) then I'm fairly certain there had been a LOT of people wanting to protect him.
    Well for that matter, Mr. Scruffy is not exactly an adorable sweet-natured kitty either. He killed someone just a few panels ago, and that's not the first time he's viciously attacked people.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Isn't your avatar Gaara of the Sands?

Joking aside, I agree. I want more Plot in my Plot!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe we can see kobold "on a stick"?

Of course if this kobold gets to hurt Mr. Scruffy, then Belkar gets to kill the wolf? Hey, it's all fair.
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrakan View Post
    Well for that matter, Mr. Scruffy is not exactly an adorable sweet-natured kitty either. He killed someone just a few panels ago, and that's not the first time he's viciously attacked people.
    He's an animal, they are N to begin with. Hurt them and they might attack. Stuff a cat in a bag and shake it a bit and it'll be PISSED. It may VERY well try and claw the eyes out of the next person it sees and that's not immoral. It's amoral.
    Add then that he's an animal companion and the person he killed was threatening his master. I can't understand why people think that a big deal, you'd expect the same from the wolf companion of an elven druid fightin orcs. At least I would.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

Big thanks to Savannah for the badass Papa Wolf avatar!

17. - Top - End - #317

He's an animal, they are N to begin with. Hurt them and they might attack. Stuff a cat in a bag and shake it a bit and it'll be PISSED. It may VERY well try and claw the eyes out of the next person it sees and that's not immoral. It's amoral.
    Add then that he's an animal companion and the person he killed was threatening his master. I can't understand why people think that a big deal, you'd expect the same from the wolf companion of an elven druid fightin orcs. At least I would.
    I agree. Mr. Scruffy has no idea of the complexities involved. He just saw Belkar under threat and acted to protect him. In fact, most of us, with our sophisticated minds, would do pretty much the same if we were armed and saw someone trying to kill a person we care about, assuming of course that we had the courage to stand to battle.

So I can't see much to deplore in the Scruffinator's actions. Mind you, I'm not as upset as some people are about his getting shot, but that's probably because I'm expecting Belkar to take the fall, and not the cat.

18. - Top - End - #318

My first reaction to Scruffy being shot was along the lines of feeling a punch to the gut, I admit. He might be an animal companion but he's still an animal and Y'ky'k a sapient somewhere near human. That and I like animals, especially cats and dogs. After a while (and reading this article in it's entirety) I calmed down somewhat about that, but can still understand those who cling to my first feeling.

As for who dies and not... I don't think it'll be Belkar. Not right now. It... doesn't feel epic enough (unless we see some more buildup of course). I can't really prove it, it's just a gut feeling, but there it is. We'll see what the Giant cooks up.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

Big thanks to Savannah for the badass Papa Wolf avatar!

19. - Top - End - #319

My first reaction to Scruffy being shot was along the lines of feeling a punch to the gut, I admit. He might be an animal companion but he's still an animal and Y'ky'k a sapient somewhere near human. That and I like animals, especially cats and dogs. After a while (and reading this article in it's entirety) I calmed down somewhat about that, but can still understand those who cling to my first feeling.

As for who dies and not... I don't think it'll be Belkar. Not right now. It... doesn't feel epic enough (unless we see some more buildup of course). I can't really prove it, it's just a gut feeling, but there it is. We'll see what the Giant cooks up.
    You are currently making so much sense!

The attack on those who are calling for the death of a sapient creature who has implied he enjoys seeing animals suffer, seems ridiculous to me. He attacked an animal (that wasn't threatening him at the time), he's bad (no matter how powerful the cat is, it wasn't threatening him), Tarquin burned those slaves, he's bad. There is no reason there can only be one evil bastard in the arc, as the real world certainly has more.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I hope the wolf gets turned into a coat
    I sense a great disturbance…. As if a thousand double entendres cried out and where suddenly silenced

21. - Top - End - #321

Imp

Well yes, I would expect that too. I also wouldn't judge the orcs, or any other opponents they had, for trying to kill that wolf.

My point is not "Mr. Scruffy is evil", just, to me, once you've disemboweled someone, you kind of lose the right to use the "cute vulnerable animal" effect as a defense.
    Obviously Yukyuk is evil, but I don't have a particular emotional response to him attacking Scruffy because he's not just a cat, he's an enhanced cat that kills people. He's a combatant, and consequently fair game as a target.

22. - Top - End - #322

He doesn't know that Mr. Scruffy is an enhanced cat though.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Imp

He doesn't know that Mr. Scruffy is an enhanced cat though.
    Yes, which is why this is clearly an evil action. If he were doing it to weaken Belkar by taking out an ally it would only be practical. I just don't feel the tremendous outrage a lot of posters demonstrate, because I think Scruffy is a viable target, and consequently him being attacked doesn't arouse any "omg he shot a kitty" emotional response.

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrakan View Post
    Yes, which is why this is clearly an evil action. If he were doing it to weaken Belkar by taking out an ally it would only be practical. I just don't feel the tremendous outrage a lot of posters demonstrate, because I think Scruffy is a viable target, and consequently him being attacked doesn't arouse any "omg he shot a kitty" emotional response.
    I get the tremendous outrage because he wasn't doing it for practicality, which I agree with you about (even though I'd still not like him because he shot a cat, but then it would be my personal bias), while he is dangerous and certainly not innocent, yukyuk didn't know that. But it looks like we agree, so we don't need to argue!
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

New poster. Noob to DND and only have the online strips to work with (no SoD or anything).

However.

This seems rather clear-cut to me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar dies. Scruffy may or may not die. But here's the kicker: Belkar's evil. His afterlife is in the Lower Planes, correct? Guess who else is in the Lower Planes?

Thoughts?

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

This is a forum thread about Cats vs. Commoners. It is a very common discussion and you will find may old threads on other sites about the complete lack of realism when building characters in d&d and how ridiculously weak low levels are. Cat v Commoner is just the best example because it shows one of the most extreme cases of just bad monster/npc mechanics in D&D. It was a joke, people. A joke, a very old joke that's at "least" as old as said thread. That's why the character emphasizes that he's a 1st level commoner before croaking. Stop reading into it so much, It's a mundane cat. We have no evidence that it's his companion. It would be cool, in my opinion, but we simply don't know for certain. Still, he's only a cat who even as an animal companion stands little chance against a kobold ranger scaled to Belkar's level and his dog.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

27. - Top - End - #327
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rolling 4 View Post
    I hope the wolf gets turned into a coat
    I agree. I think within a few panels Belkar will be looking like a badass Russian with a furry coat and yet another completely awful-looking hat.

Spellblade

28. - Top - End - #328

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by FatJose View Post
    Stop reading into it so much, It's a mundane cat. We have no evidence that it's his companion. It would be cool, in my opinion, but we simply don't know for certain. Still, he's only a cat who even as an animal companion stands little chance against a kobold ranger scaled to Belkar's level and his dog.
    It also follows him around, obeys his commands, attacks his enemies, and can survive a crossbow bolt to the chest. Only the first of those are traits associated with the average cat, and it's all evidence that Belkar, a ranger who had been noticeably lacking the animal companion he's entitled to, has acquired one.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sign me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Πέρα από τον Ορ View Post
    I agree. I think within a few panels Belkar will be looking like a badass Russian with a furry coat and yet another completely awful-looking hat.
    Belkar, the littlest Jagermonster?