New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Veggies in the Playground

As another thread seems to be swaying dangerously in this direction, I couldn't help wonder how many other celery-suckers are out here such as myself.

TO start things off, I dare someone to present a more awkward one-liner in concerns to your diet.

Grandmother: "We're having steak for dinner, but we know you don't eat meat... so we made you some chicken instead."
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-03-26 at 01:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vegetarians/Vegans in the Playground

We had a thread like this about 2 years ago, but I believe it was locked. You might want to ask a moderator if it would be a good idea to restart it. It got a bit messy last time, IIRC.

EDIT: Here it is.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-03-25 at 06:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a vegetarian, but I've found myself eating a lot less meat these days... the idea of going into a restaurant and ordering a steak is completely unappealing, for example, and I can't really eat all that much meat before getting a little sick of it. Bacon gets a pass, though.

Bacon always gets a pass.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Yo. Been a vegitarian for, oh, 19 years, five months, and 2 days now.

I have to say, looking at the price of meat, and comparing it to a greater volume of, say, grain, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to be a vegitarian. Ya know?
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Grandmother: "We're having steak for dinner, but we know you don't eat meat... so we made you some chicken instead."
    LAWL! This was my laugh for the day. Ahhh, grandparents. Heeheehee.

I am not a vegetarian but am always on the lookout for some good vegetarian recipes as I really should eat more veg overall. =/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

As another thread seems to be swaying dangerously in this direction, I couldn't help wonder how many other celery-suckers are out here such as myself.

TO start things off, I dare someone to present a more awkward one-liner in concerns to your diet.

I've totally got one. Back in college I eat with the higher leveled Education students. One was a teacher specializing in dealing with the mentally handicapped, who happened to also be a vegetarian. Another student had a marked dislike for her so asked this question.

"So would you eat a mentally handicapped lamb?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Got the thumbs up from a mod, so things should be okay. But just as a reminder, please keep it civil and non-political. Hopefully that goes without saying though.

I myself have been a vegetarian for. oh, almost three years now I suppose. It's funny, I actually have absolutely no reason to be a vegetarian. I became one more just on a personal dare to see if I could handle it for about a month when I noticed how little meat I actually ate. After a month when by and noticed how little things have changed for me I figured I might as well see how long I could go with it.

That isn't to say that it's been easy. I come from the PA/Ohio area and people up there love their meat (deer hunter territory and all). My grandparents are still adjusting; needless to say, Thanksgivings are always awkward.

Hey, that's a good question actually. How do other vegetarians handle Thanksgiving?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Cheese pizza. Or, if you fail at life, tofurkey.
    Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Cheese pizza. Or, if you fail at life, tofurkey.
    My mom and sisters have a tofurkey every year for Thanksgiving. I'd rather just ignore that portion of the meal entirely, it looks terrible (but who am I to judge, I've never tried it).

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat very little meat in general, depending on what's available, I'm not too picky.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2011-03-26 at 03:21 AM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    We had a thread like this about 2 years ago, but I believe it was locked. You might want to ask a moderator if it would be a good idea to restart it. It got a bit messy last time, IIRC.

EDIT: Here it is.
    Well, the last time the thread got locked, it was the vegans' fault (them, and the people who argued with them). If we keep it to dietary choices and not ethical and political ones, we should be safe.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Veggies in the Playground

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a vegetarian, but due to some recent friends of mines who are vegetarian I've gone to a couple local vegan/vegetarian places, and discovered the joy of vegan milkshakes. I have no idea how such a concoction is scientifically possible (I and one of said friends are convinced they're made through a combination of mad science and witchcraft) but damn are those things awesome. Also the particular place here has awesome names for them, nothing like ordering a "west memphis Three" or "Howard Zinn" and getting a delicious beverage.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

12. - Top - End - #12

Well, I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, but unfortunately tend to garnish them with delicious animal flesh and extra creatures. But the vegetable-loving part is there.

Vegetarianism is not something I mind at all, so long as the person in question both knows the subject thoroughly and can take a joke (serious people have never been my sort of people).
    The worst example I can think of regarding not knowing what vegetarianism means for the vegetarian was from a girl back at school:

"So if you're a vegetarian, why do you eat fish?"
    "Because fish aren't animals, they're mammals."

Years later, I am unable to let that go.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    Wait.

What?
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Wait.

What?
    While that may have no baring on logic, fish is not meat in cooking and thus would fulfill the "No eating meat" portion of the Vegetarian norm.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2011-03-26 at 08:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I was more worried about the "they are mammals, not animals" part.
    I use black for sarcasm.

16. - Top - End - #16

I was more going the whole statement was bunk by default but not inherently wrong in the spirit of the thread.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

A lot of the meals I make myself are vegetarian. Mostly variations of rice and beans or pasta. The exception is sandwiches, there is always at least one type of sandwich meat in our fridge.
    I'm worried that if I went truly vegetarian I'd compensate for my loss by more baked goods than I already do. "I'm giving up meat, I deserve this extra cookie!"

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Wait.

What?
    Precisely! It has been, I think, 4 or 5 years, and I have yet to arrive at an answer to the conundrum.
    (I am aware that she would, in fact, have been a pescetarian rather than a vegetarian, but her justification of it confounds logic so very utterly.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes... I recall hearing that story before. And I'm as bewildered by it now as I was the first time.

And as it happens, I am vegetarian. Which to me at least means not any form of meat, be it from mammal, bird, fish, or any other animal.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I avoid meat if I can help it, but it's more for health reasons. I've been trying to lose weight and I found that cutting down on red meat and avoiding pork altogether have helped me shed a lot more pounds (along with regular exercise of course). While I know beef is actually more fatty than pork, I just hate the taste of pork. :P

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

21. - Top - End - #21

I love vegetables, broccoli especially. Steaming hot broccoli and carrots with a spoonful of honey ontop are usually the highlight of my dinner. However I do love meat. In fact, the thought of a juicy steak makes my mouth water. But let's say I wanted to dedicate a week to eating only vegetarian meals, what sort of dishes would the vegetarian playground reccomend?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have to say, looking at the price of meat, and comparing it to a greater volume of, say, grain, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to be a vegitarian. Ya know?
    By volume the meat will have higher nutritional value and calorie content, though--this is why lions can get away with maybe one major meal a week, whereas grazing animals pretty much have to eat constantly!

23. - Top - End - #23

Except that it isn't...in fact, it's cheaper to opt out of buying veggies or meat fresh and live off bargain brand processed garbage since it's typically lower priced for how much you get and there are coupons and deals on them. Where as veggies and fresh meat work on a market system where the prices fluctuate. Veggie is one of the least economical options unless you are growing and supplying your own food for yourself. Then it's much much much cheaper since you're not actually paying for it in cash.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2011-03-26 at 09:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I've given vegetarianism some serious thought. I'm sure I could give up beef/chicken/pork with minimal difficulty.

My problem is seafood. I LOVE seafood. Fish, mollusks, and crustaceans. Baked, grilled, or sauteed. And I adore sushi.

So maybe someday I'll take the plunge and just go full pescatarian. It really wouldn't be much different than what I'm doing right now.

I just moved into a new place in Florida, and my landlords decided to have a fishing trip when they came down to sign the lease and fix up the place. So when I got here I found that they had left about $80 worth of fish in my freezer as a gift. Bought myself a couple of cookbooks, and have been trying to make a new fish meal a couple of times a week.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Except that it isn't...in fact, it's cheaper to opt out of buying veggies or meat fresh and live off bargain brand processed garbage since it's typically lower priced for how much you get and there are coupons and deals on them. Where as veggies and fresh meat work on a market system where the prices fluctuate. Veggie is one of the least economical options unless you are growing and supplying your own food for yourself. Then it's much much much cheaper since you're not actually paying for it in cash.
    Meh. My own experience invalidates this speculation. I've been vegetarian almost nine years and my grocery bill is considerably lower than any of my friends who eat meat, they gawk at me sometimes when we talk about it. I eat well and healthy too. Meat is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    By volume the meat will have higher nutritional value and calorie content, though--this is why lions can get away with maybe one major meal a week, whereas grazing animals pretty much have to eat constantly!
    Humans don't sit around chewing grass though. A pound of wheat actually has more calories -- and a greater profile of micronutrients -- than a pound of ground beef, up to 30% fat content, where they are about equal in calories.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-03-26 at 10:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm trying to eat less meat and more salads for my own health.

But I don't eat lamb or veal out of a personal choice, and I don't eat pork or shellfish (or cheeseburgers) because I'm Jewish.

27. - Top - End - #27

To start things off, I dare someone to present a more awkward one-liner in concerns to your diet.

Can't think of one off the top of my head, but I imagine something could be devised, probably invoking the sexual connotations of 'meat' for added awkwardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I am not a vegetarian but am always on the lookout for some good vegetarian recipes as I really should eat more veg overall. =/
    This pretty much applies to me, only at present I'm living with parents and therefore not particularly responsible for my own diet. But when I move out again this will apply to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Meh. My own experience invalidates this speculation. I've been vegetarian almost nine years and my grocery bill is considerably lower than any of my friends who eat meat, they gawk at me sometimes when we talk about it. I eat well and healthy too. Meat is expensive.
    Likewise. When I was in my student house last year, I ate considerably less meat, because it was always the most expensive thing I might want.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    It depends on what you eat. Legumes and cereals are cheaper, fresh vegetables are rather expensive in relation to the calories you get.
    Since you have to eat vegetables for vitamins regardless of whether you eat meat or cereals for calories, I am quite sure being vegetarian is cheaper.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. I hope she wasn't a Biology major.

@Innis: Actually, I've done some comparisons in price, and it works out that feeding me for a week is cheaper than feeding most people for that same week.

Who said anything about veggies, anyway? I was talking rice and potatoes, both of which store well, and similar, basic, foods- you can make a lot with either of those mentioned, and they're filling.

I guess it's just a thing about personal taste. I call myself a vegitarian because I don't eat meat. Not because I eat mostly vegetables. I sustain myself on grain based foods and dairy products. Like corn and butter. Or bread and butter. Or... You get the idea.

Because, where ever you find poor people, you'll find vegitarian food.
    Extended Signature.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    But I don't eat lamb or veal out of a personal choice, and I don't eat pork or shellfish (or cheeseburgers) because I'm Jewish.
    Because you're kosher, you mean?

*card-carrying Jewish bacon-lover*