A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 75
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Either way it doesn't matter, since the Giant may have changed it since then, and we'll never know.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Technically, Elves can live centuries without aging, but dwarves can only live 300 years and are aging fast (at least they look old). So, elves don't need a lot hormones for their reproduction, because they can have children anytime (but it's rare for they to do that), and dwarves must have children erly in their life.

    Because of that, the elves are a litle bit androgyneous, sometime.

    I still don't know why it's so horrific, though.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Flame of Anor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Not to mention V and Haley were shown engaged in girly talk at the begining of Strip #3.
    It's only Haley who is girly-talking. "A most grave conundrum you faced" is hardly girly-talk. They were just two friends talking, one of which is a girl and one of which we don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Really, it would be fine if people stopped trying to shove that "V was originally intended to be a male" in every discussion like if it was a fact, when it's not.
    Except it is a fact, or at the very least a necessary logical conclusion.

    Fact 1: The V-man comment was the first time people began to discuss what gender Vaarsuvius was.
    Fact 2: The Giant was not making the gender ambiguous until people started questioning it after that strip was printed.
    Fact 3: The usage of "V-man" when he was -not- trying to be misleading is a very decisively masculine term (as the reactions in the thread show)

    Conclusion: V was initially intended to be male.

    If you wish to debate this, you better come at me with more than speculation and circumstantial evidence :)
    Last edited by FujinAkari; 2011-05-29 at 01:20 PM.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Except it is a fact, or at the very least a necessary logical conclusion.

    Fact 1: The V-man comment was the first time people began to discuss what gender Vaarsuvius was.
    Fact 2: The Giant was not making the gender ambiguous until people started questioning it after that strip was printed.
    Fact 3: The usage of "V-man" when he was -not- trying to be misleading is a very decisively masculine term (as the reactions in the thread show)

    Conclusion: V was initially intended to be male.

    If you wish to debate this, you better come at me with more than speculation and circumstantial evidence :)
    Fact: The Giant said he won't tell us what gender V is.
    Fact: The Giant is the only person IRL who knows V's gender.
    Fact: The Giant can retcon V's gender if he feels like it.

    Conclusion: This debate is pointless.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    By my definition of "beauty", flat-chested women can be supernaturally beautiful. And that includes the breasts. Thin women with big breasts don't make much sense, anyway. It rarely happens in real life. (without surgery, that is)

    I like the androgynous elves in OotS, and I don't see any fridgehorror there. Breast size has nothing at all to do with beauty.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2011-05-29 at 01:30 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Fact: The Giant said he won't tell us what gender V is.
    Fact: The Giant is the only person IRL who knows V's gender.
    Fact: The Giant can retcon V's gender if he feels like it.

    Conclusion: This debate is pointless.
    You must be new to the OOTS forums... pointless debate has never been an obstacle to their continuance :P

    Seriously though, you're right. The Giant has now made V ambiguous and (s)he could go either way, but claiming that the INITIAL conception of V wasn't male is to ignore all available evidence. That (s)he started as a man is all but fact at this point.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    You must be new to the OOTS forums... pointless debate has never been an obstacle to their continuance :P

    Seriously though, you're right. The Giant has now made V ambiguous and (s)he could go either way, but claiming that the INITIAL conception of V wasn't male is to ignore all available evidence. That (s)he started as a man is all but fact at this point.
    No it isn't, but since it doesn't matter we may as well stop.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    No it isn't, but since it doesn't matter we may as well stop.
    If you think it isn't, I welcome your argument. Mine is pretty iron-clad.

    1) We know, from Rich's commentary in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools that Vaarsuvius started the strip with a definite gender and it wasn't until "an early strip" caused the gender to be debated.
    2) We know, from the archives, that that "early strip" was strip #9
    3) We know, from Rich, that Roy's comment in Strip #9 is meant to convey that Roy considers V male.

    Thus, if Rich did not consider V's gender to be ambiguous until AFTER Strip #9 was posted (and the forum reacted to it) and we know that the verbiage Roy used in Strip #9 indicated V to be male, then the only logical conclusion was that Rich considered V to be a male character. He may no longer consider V such and has definitely retconned that certainty, but you can't just ignore the facts and claim it was always ambiguous :)

    Again, if you wish to contest this, you need to come at me with an actual argument based in evidence.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Flame of Anor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    By my definition of "beauty", flat-chested women can be supernaturally beautiful. And that includes the breasts. Thin women with big breasts don't make much sense, anyway. It rarely happens in real life. (without surgery, that is)
    Unless they're ghosts, I would say they're very naturally, or perhaps preternaturally, beautiful.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    You must be new to the OOTS forums... pointless debate has never been an obstacle to their continuance :P
    So true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    2) We know, from the archives, that that "early strip" was strip #9
    We know no such thing. We know that Rich made a comment on it after strip #9, but we have no way of knowing if someone, possibly on another message board, made a comment earlier. Say, back after strip #3, with the "girl talk" episode. When Rich started the strip, he used to post it at several different D&D message boards that he was a member of to get additional feedback/exposure, so people were reading and discussing on other sites right from the beginning.

    Note the exact quote from Dungeon Crawlin' Fools:

    The character's gender ambiguity was not planned, but after seeing debates among fans on either side of the issue, I decided to take that particular ball and run with it.
    Nowhere does he say that the fans were members of HIS forums, nor does he identify the early strip in question. If the strip was #3 instead of #9, the situation is reversed: V was intended to be female, but he included verbiage in #9 to deliberately make it a point of confusion. The post of his you linked is therefore him simply acknowledging publicly what he had decided six strips earlier: That V's gender was ambiguous.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Again, if you wish to contest this, you need to come at me with an actual argument based in evidence.
    You don't actually have evidence. You just have supposition that an oblique reference to an event can only refer to the one event you find most "probable." A probability pulled out of thin air. You can't definitively tie the comments to strip #9 just because it's the first time it was mentioned here, on this site, and so you have nothing.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Ha ha ha ha of course that would be ridiculous.
    That would make sense. After all, shouldn't Dwarven Women have beards?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    We know no such thing. We know that Rich made a comment on it after strip #9, but we have no way of knowing if someone, possibly on another message board, made a comment earlier. Say, back after strip #3, with the "girl talk" episode. When Rich started the strip, he used to post it at several different D&D message boards that he was a member of to get additional feedback/exposure, so people were reading and discussing on other sites right from the beginning.

    Nowhere does he say that the fans were members of HIS forums, nor does he identify the early strip in question. If the strip was #3 instead of #9, the situation is reversed: V was intended to be female, but he included verbiage in #9 to deliberately make it a point of confusion. The post of his you linked is therefore him simply acknowledging publicly what he had decided six strips earlier: That V's gender was ambiguous.
    This isn't an unsound theory, can you please link to the debate on some other message board that you are referring too? If not, I'm afraid all you really have is speculation and it still won't stand up to evidence.

    You don't actually have evidence.
    The links seem to indicate otherwise. Unless you (or someone) can produce an earlier point of contention, then there is absolutely no reason to think the debate which Rich refers to precedes the first time the issue was debated on the official forum.

    Additionally, your logic does not follow. Rich had decided to make V's gender ambiguous, and so he choose to have a character refer to V in an extremely unambiguous manner?

    There are a number of strips that play at the ambiguity and confuse the issue, this is not one of them.
    Last edited by FujinAkari; 2011-05-29 at 04:17 PM.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Why does it seem like every thread will, given a long enough amount of time, turn into a debate on V's gender?
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    This isn't an unsound theory, can you please link to the debate on some other message board that you are referring too? If not, I'm afraid all you really have is speculation and it still won't stand up to evidence.
    And if you had evidence, that would be true. You don't. You have speculation, same as me. You just find your own speculation more credible. I don't.

    Do I care enough about this to spend my time searching for it? No. Especially since I know that the message board that I first saw Rich posting OOTS on doesn't even exist anymore. Or the conversation could have taken place on this forum but in a separate thread; all other threads from that time period have been purged. Or maybe it was among his personal friends, at his weekly D&D game, in a chatroom, or anywhere. All that would be required would be for there to be two people to discuss it and Rich present to hear it.

    The absence of written proof for my theory doesn't make your theory correct by default. You can't prove that he didn't spark that debate elsewhere, because you can't prove a negative. The only defense for that would be a positive statement by Rich where he says, "It was strip #9 that I was talking about." Which you don't have. Without that, neither position is proven or disproven. We just don't have the proper evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    The links seem to indicate otherwise.
    Not unless you want to interpret them that way. And that's all it can ever be, an interpretation. Not fact.

    If you have to use the word seem in relation to your evidence, then you don't have evidence. You have conjecture. Because how something seems to you is not going to be the same as how it seems to someone else. That's called an opinion, not a fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Unless you (or someone) can produce an earlier point of contention, then there is absolutely no reason to think the debate which Rich refers to precedes the first time the issue was debated on the official forum.
    There is every reason to think it, if one is attempting to actually weigh the facts and not read meaning into statements that may not be there. Especially since in those days, there were MORE readers on other forums than on this one. "Official" means nothing when there are less than 100 people reading your site, but hundreds are reading it somewhere else.

    I'm going to PM Rich about this, not because I expect him to answer (I don't), but because him answering is the only possible resolution to this discussion and I have things to do today.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    The original OOTS discussion thread has gender discussion starting in response to strip #9 (page 2 on the setting with maximum posts per page), and then Rich says Roy's comment simply means Roy sees V as a male in response to the gender discussion.

    That's good enough evidence for me that V was intended to be male (coupled in with the fact that Roy was originally going to be the party wizard), barring the Giant flat-out saying otherwise.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2011-05-29 at 04:47 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    The original OOTS discussion thread has gender discussion starting in response to strip #9 (page 2 on the setting with maximum posts per page), and then Rich says Roy's comment simply means Roy sees V as a male in response to the gender discussion.

    That's good enough evidence for me that V was intended to be male (coupled in with the fact that Roy was originally going to be the party wizard), barring the Giant flat-out saying otherwise.
    Yes, I know, that's the very post we've been discussing.

    It's great that it's good enough for you. It's not good enough for me. So I hope we can get the Giant to flat-out say whether or not it was that thread that sparked the idea in his mind.

    Let's be clear: I'm not arguing that V is female. I don't know either way. I'm arguing that the evidence being prevented that the Giant MUST have intended him to be male all along is shaky and amounts to conjecture. Is it baseless conjecture? No, it's a very reasonable interpretation to make. But that's all it is, an interpretation. Not case-closed no-reason-to-ever-discuss-it-again evidence as it's being heralded.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-05-29 at 04:55 PM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

  18. - Top - End - #48

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    FujinAkari is correct. Spod is grasping at straws.

    Nothing more to discuss about it, really. The evidence is clear.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    The absence of written proof for my theory doesn't make your theory correct by default.
    Yes it does, actually. In a debate, two sides take up a position. My side has supporting evidence, your side does not. Therefore, the lack of support for your "somewhere else" theory necessarily makes it less plausible than the counter-argument which DOES have supporting evidence.

    You can't prove that he didn't spark that debate elsewhere, because you can't prove a negative..
    Correct, which is why burden of proof exists. It is not my responsibility to prove that Rich didn't see the debate elsewhere, my responsibility is to prove my case, and yours is to prove yours. If you don't want to argue your side, thats fine, but you don't get to argue that my viewpoint isn't valid because you can't find evidence for yours.

    I'm going to PM Rich about this, not because I expect him to answer (I don't), but because him answering is the only possible resolution to this discussion and I have things to do today.
    Man, leave him alone. He is busy and has things to do. If you don't want to believe that's what happened, that's fine, but it will remain the de facto explanation until someone presents supporting evidence refuting it :)

    I also note you didn't address the biggest flaw in your premise: If the Giant introduced the "V-man" reference to spark gender confusion, why did he do it in such a terrible manner? You don't spark confusion by having one character blatantly refer to a character as male and every other character silently agree without comment.
    Last edited by FujinAkari; 2011-05-29 at 05:05 PM.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainIreland View Post
    FujinAkari is correct. Spod is grasping at straws.

    Nothing more to discuss about it, really. The evidence is clear.
    How is the evidence clear? And how is SPoD grasping at straws by stating that we can't argue with total certainty about this? We don't know the Giant's mind or what was going on at that stage. We don't know explicitly what strip started it all. SPoD stated FujinAkari's case was plausible. It just can't be recited as fact unless we know more. Which we don't.

    All the thread cited proves is that Roy thought V was male.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  21. - Top - End - #51

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    How is the evidence clear? And how is SPoD grasping at straws by stating that we can't argue with total certainty about this? We don't know the Giant's mind or what was going on at that stage. We don't know explicitly what strip started it all. SPoD stated FujinAkari's case was plausible. It just can't be recited as fact unless we know more. Which we don't.

    All the thread cited proves is that Roy thought V was male.
    Read FukinAkari's posts. She wins the debate. I really can't state it any better than she has, especially in her most recent post.

    Well done, Fujin.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainIreland View Post
    Read FukinAkari's posts. She wins the debate. I really can't state it any better than she has, especially in her most recent post.
    I admit, I like her argument. It would be a lot more sound if this had been the only forum Rich discussed OOTS on since the beginning, and if we had a complete archive of all the threads, and all that. But we don't. It is like saying "this snowball started the avalanche," when there are possibly 30 other snowballs out there that we don't know about. The only person who does know is the Giant.

    The way the forum stands now isn't the way it has always been.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  23. - Top - End - #53

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    The way the forum stands now isn't the way it has always been.
    Just so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring you, I want to make this clear:

    I have no intention of arguing either side, here. But Fujin's argument wins over Spod's. I'm not going to argue her side, or whether her argument is valid. Please feel free to do so with her.

    All I'm saying is that as the evidence she presented looks vs the evidence Spod presented, she wins.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    It just can't be recited as fact unless we know more. Which we don't.
    I think you are expecting an unreasonable degree of truth. You are basically stating "This can't be considered correct unless every other theory is proven incorrect." That just isn't the way we live our lives... if it were then we would have to say "The light either turns on because electricity is controlled by the switch on the wall or because space aliens cause it to turn on to make me believe I have control over my life."

    I mean, can you PROVE aliens aren't controlling your lamp?

    Edit: To put it another way:

    Truth is what we -know- to be true, Facts are things which evidence seems to indicate are true. Facts can and do change. When I went to school Paul Revere's midnight ride was factual, but I recently learned that it was actually Israel Bissel, not Paul Revere, who made the ride I was taught about.

    As of right now, the accepted explaination is the argument I presented. That doesn't make it written in stone and mean it can never ever change, but unless something beyond conjecture is presented to oppose it, it will remain the accepted explaination.
    Last edited by FujinAkari; 2011-05-29 at 05:26 PM.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    Why does it seem like every thread will, given a long enough amount of time, turn into a debate on V's gender?
    Really? This is one of the few I've seen since I started reading the forums. Sorry about it hijacking your thread though.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    I think you are expecting an unreasonable degree of truth. You are basically stating "This can't be considered correct unless every other theory is proven incorrect." That just isn't the way we live our lives... if it were then we would have to say "The light either turns on because electricity is controlled by the switch on the wall or because space aliens cause it to turn on to make me believe I have control over my life."

    I mean, can you PROVE aliens aren't controlling your lamp?
    The problem with this line of thought is that I can argue there is an extremely small probability (almost nil) that aliens are controlling my lamp. But we know for a fact that this forum has been through many purges, that Rich posted on other forums in the early days, etc. There's a much higher probability that this all started in some other thread or discussion. We aren't offering up alternative theories for you to prove incorrect, we are calling into doubt the foundational assumption you have made for your argument. Your argument on its own is fine, but no scientific argument is in good standing unless it has analyzed enough of the data. Much of the data has been lost to us, unfortunately. That is why your theory remains at best a theory, and cannot be conclusively decided unless the Giant speaks on the matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post

    As of right now, the accepted explaination is the argument I presented. That doesn't make it written in stone and mean it can never ever change, but unless something beyond conjecture is presented to oppose it, it will remain the accepted explaination.
    It isn't the accepted explanation, though. Mainly because we have enough data from people's experiences and our knowledge of the early forums to call your theory into reasonable doubt.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-05-29 at 05:33 PM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    It isn't the accepted explanation, though. Mainly because we have enough data from people's experiences and our knowledge of the early forums to call your theory into reasonable doubt.
    define "reasonable doubt"

    To me, The Giant seeing the confusion at some other location and saying 'Hey, I know, I'll play on this and intentionally make V ambiguous by having Roy call V a man and no one else in the party acting surprised or confused in any way, shape, or form!' is completely unreasonable.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Man, leave him alone. He is busy and has things to do.
    This is so true. And yet...

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    If you don't want to believe that's what happened, that's fine, but it will remain the de facto explanation until someone presents supporting evidence refuting it :)
    Oooo! Oooo! Can I?

    The first time I heard someone question whether V was male or female was right after I posted my first strip. A friend of mine asked me about it; at the time, I simply answered. Luckily for me, that friend has not chosen to reveal what I said then to the world.

    At the time of the lime green boots strip, there was a thread separate from the main discussion thread where someone said how nice it was to see two women adventurers who were so different from one another as V and Haley. Brief debate followed, but there were very few posters in those days. I don't think it made it to 12 posts.

    By the comic with the belt, I was aware enough of the confusion that I had already taken a poll among an IRC gaming group I was in at the time and asked them what gender they thought he/she was, and the results were split: 4 thought V was a woman, 2 thought V was a man. So I decided to swing the perception the other way with my next strip.

    Which leads us to...

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    I also note you didn't address the biggest flaw in your premise: If the Giant introduced the "V-man" reference to spark gender confusion, why did he do it in such a terrible manner? You don't spark confusion by having one character blatantly refer to a character as male and every other character silently agree without comment.
    Sure, if you're a good writer. I, on the other hand, was a very very bad writer back then. And also I could not have imagined that my choices (much less my message board posts) would be picked apart like this 8 years later. I thought it would confuse half my 50 or so readers, and that amused me. At the time, that was enough reason to do it. Remember, there was no intent to have any sort of plot until a few strips after that. My post in the thread at the time was my way of acknowledging that I wasn't going to answer the question, nothing more.

    My biggest mistake was thinking that the majority-view in my 6-person poll was analogous to what the majority of the readers at the time thought or would think in the future. In hindsight, rather than trying to shift the perception the other way, I should have shifted it toward neutral, as I did in later strips. (Incidentally, it's because I now recognize that it is bad writing to have introduced the ambiguity that way that I am bothering to respond to this. It bugs me that I didn't do it more organically than that, and I don't like anyone using the fact that I was bad at doing something as proof that I must not have meant to do it.)

    OK, question asked, answer given.

    Now I think I may go answer some other threads randomly, because if I've already opened my mouth and spilled stuff that I'll probably regret later, I might as well do it some more.
    Rich Burlew


    A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

    ~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    To me, The Giant seeing the confusion at some other location and saying 'Hey, I know, I'll play on this and intentionally make V ambiguous by having Roy call V a man and no one else in the party acting surprised or confused in any way, shape, or form!' is completely unreasonable.
    So really your theory hinges on your interpretation of the strip and not on the forum evidence.

    Your interpretation might be right, but I don't think that strip in particular proves anything conclusive other than Roy thought V was a male, and none of the characters cared to bring up the issue. And I certainly don't think Rich's comment on the strip decisively proves your point.

    EDIT: Ninja'd by the GIANT! Epic.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-05-29 at 05:49 PM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Elves and fridgehorror in OotS

    Well, that's that. I guess the missing link to all this was that poll.

    And I guess you can add this to your sig, ThePhantasm.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •