A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]The Scallywag (peach?)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    If it's homebrew, it's not "complete" till it gets published. That said, it's done whenever you think it is done, really.

That being said, looking at it, it still lacks focus and has a ton of options littered around for free. The luck bonuses to everything encourage going more attacks/round, but this gives power attack for free... and it is just a mess with one set of class features developing into something completely different ~10 levels later because of something we're not seeing.

"Paths" are an idea you could use. You could try to make a "lucky" scallywag, a "rough and tough" scallywag, or a more traditional "rogue" scallywag. As is, right now, they are just a collection of bonuses, feats and feat-like abilities thrown together with little cause.

A note of the feats: when giving feats that are commonly available (that is to say, core or SRD-based) you may as well just say "A scallywag gains Power Attack as a bonus feat at level X." If it is a feat from a noncore source, cite where it can be found. For an ability that looks like a feat, you should mention such or make your explanations more precise in form. A few of the luck things looked like luck feats for a second, but then I realize no such abilities existed previously.

And really, that last line there is all about homebrewing.
    What about the luck bonuses? Those are just numbers stating how many times a day you can re roll an unwanted die.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

If they're just daily uses then why do they list +X?

Normally +# means you're adding it to something, if it's just uses per day just list 2 luck re-rolls per day or some such without the + and it would be much clearer.

Also it might be a memory of when they were bonuses to attack rolls, AC, reflex, and "luck rolls".
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    If they're just daily uses then why do they list +X?

Normally +# means you're adding it to something, if it's just uses per day just list 2 luck re-rolls per day or some such without the + and it would be much clearer.
    Fixed .

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    You know, I'd really like feedback on how to improve the class... I may be turning out quite a few classes within a small time, But I assure you They are all serious.
    Well for one thing you could write out the abilities more fully so you don't have to refer to the paragraph above for reference. It is indicates a certain amount of laziness on a writer's part to take such shortcuts. Also, putting text in small font makes it harder to read. Do the Dodge bonuses stack or increase at each level?

This is an example of how to fix your writing: I was lazy and just referenced as a rogue but you could spell out the special ability fully.

At 1st level, a scallywag gains a +1 Dodge bonus to AC and gains Evasion as a rogue. A scallywag can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the scallywag is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless scallywag does not gain the benefit of evasion.

At 6th level, the Scallywag's Dodge bonus to AC increases to +2 and she gains Uncanny Dodge...

At 11th level, the Scallywag's Dodge bonus increases to +4 and she gains Improved Evasion...

At 16th level, the Scallywag's Dodge bonus increases to +8 and she gains Improved Uncanny Dodge...

If you give out a bonus to AC or to a save or whatever and a special ability, the special ability should still be listed separately in the chart.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-06-07 at 10:49 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread