New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default How many campaigns is too much?

Just what the topic asks. How many campaigns is too many campaigns? And what's the greatest number of campaigns you've been in at once?

Personally I'm in my most right now. Player in 3 Real Life campaigns, Running 1 Real Life Campaign, Playing in 2 Play by Posts, and have interest up in 1 more Play by Post. (5 3.5, 1 Pathfinder, 1 Pokemon Tabletop Adventures).
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How many campaigns is too much?

I'm currently running 6 games (1 RL D&D, 3 D&D PbP, 2 SWSE PbP), and up until the end of the semester two weeks ago I was playing in 3 RL games (2 D&D and 1 d20 Modern) and running 1 RL SWSE game, for a total of 10 at once. Too many? I don't know; I can handle 10 pretty well, so "too many" would have to be around, say, 12ish.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

3 games is the most I can be in at once, and still keep full interest.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Two is the most for me. Three is pushing it. At one time I did a 3.5e, 4e, and Spycraft 2.0.

The 3.5e eventually died, DM went on to being a player somewhere else, haven't seen him since. The 4e was part of the encounters program, but was a custom campaign, due to work I can't go any more. The Spycraft 2.0 campaign ended with everyone being killed by another player, which everyone agrees was a **** move.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

To play or DM?
    If player then I could probably find time for 3 or 4 games. If DM then no more than 2, but I'd rather just do 1.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently, I am in:

1. epic level D&D 3.5 set in Forgotten Realms
    2. mid-level D&D 3.5 set in DM's homebrew world
    3. low-mid level D&D 3.5 set in Ravenloft
    4. mid-high level D&D set in Forgotten Realms (I am DMing this one)
    5. Aberrant set in the northeastern US (started in New Jersey, expanding outward)
    6. another Aberrant set in an as-yet unknown location

2-4 are with the same group, 1 is with most of the same people and a couple others, and 5 is just two other guys from that same group. 6 is another group of people (which also includes those two guys from 1-5), and we are thinking about adding another game to alternate weeks with #6, to replace a d20 Modern Terminator game that ended fairly recently.

Then there was a Star Wars Saga game that sort of went on hiatus for about six months, but which we talk about getting back together and finishing sometime.

Honestly it's a bit too much for me. It's not that I don't have free time, it's that these games mostly fall into the same two or three time slots. Meaning that they either have to alternate with each other, or one of the games falls by the wayside for awhile as we concentrate on the other ones.

On the other hand, one of my friends is in all six of those groups and at least two others that I know of, and he seems fine with it all. I guess it's different for every person.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

5 is enough, I lose track of names and places after that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not *twitch* in too many *twitch* games! I can *twitch* stop anytime I want to!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I prefer to keep it to one as a player, and one as a DM (at a time). I have other interests outside of DnD, and Warmachine matches can get pretty long at higher point values.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think it seriously depends on the individual. I can only dm one, but I think I could probably be a player in a couple. Though once a week is honestly enough for me: I really only play with rl friends honestly.

Look everyone this image is a link!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Currently I'm DMing 4 PbP games (one of which has two smaller groups instead of one bigger, but they interact with each other often) and playing in 4 PbP games, and within the next month I'm planning to take one PbP game I used to DM off hiatus and join one LJ game. So yeah, 8 games at once, soon to become 10, and I keep full interest in all of them. More than that would probably be too many, though.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show