Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default ... Dagnabbit! Why did I have to read that book...

Well, some of you may recall the thread I started a while back where I was plotting to start necromancer cults.

It was suggested that I see about setting up a magical safe-zone with elven allies.

I managed to gain entrance to an elven village, and wandered around a bit. found a magic shop, and bought a book.

This proved to be a fatal mistake. I read the book and end up with the conciousness of an ancient necromancer locked in my skull. At first the conversation wasn't that bad, then he went a bit nuts, and decided to demonstrate what he wanted us to do...

This demonstration took the form of the door blowing open and my arm moving to shoot a bolt of magical energy that kills the innkeeper lady.

Though she was skulking outside my door with a dagger... so I'm not sure how this will turn out. According to Mr. Bookman as I've taken to thinking of him, he could easily crush the village if I do as he says, and I was originally against this plan... but now.. I was in on probation, a known murderer and a magic user, they find both in the same place, at the Inn I happen to be staying at?

So, on the one hand, I now have a super powered evil spirit.

On the other hand now the wood elves hate me, and said super powered evil spirit has the brains of your usual maniacal villain.
    Last edited by druid91; 2011-06-01 at 07:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: ... Dagnabbit! Why did I have to read that book...

Last time I had a character necromancer with a book that turned him evil, my (male) pregnant character had to defeat her (?) evil time clone with mass trickery. So I guess I'm obligated to recomend that. See if you can best yourself with a fake diary and a thought bottle.

On a sadly equally serious note, I recommend going with it. It's probably a temporary plot point that will resolve itself via something further along down the road. If you ever need to control the thing, generally just act bored. "A village? That's all you can beat? *scoff* Wake me up when you get to something important. Wake me up when we rule the world." Worked for me.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

This sounds like an anime. My mind is drawn to Code Geass for some reason, even though this is nothing like Code Geass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Last time I had a character necromancer with a book that turned him evil, my (male) pregnant character had to defeat her (?) evil time clone with mass trickery. So I guess I'm obligated to recomend that. See if you can best yourself with a fake diary and a thought bottle.

On a sadly equally serious note, I recommend going with it. It's probably a temporary plot point that will resolve itself via something further along down the road. If you ever need to control the thing, generally just act bored. "A village? That's all you can beat? *scoff* Wake me up when you get to something important. Wake me up when we rule the world." Worked for me.
    Oh don't worry, I've been snarking at him the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    This sounds like an anime. My mind is drawn to Code Geass for some reason, even though this is nothing like Code Geass.
    I thought of death note myself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I managed to gain entrance to an elven village, and wandered around a bit. found a magic shop, and bought a book.

This proved to be a fatal mistake. I read the book and end up with the conciousness of an ancient necromancer locked in my skull.
    Weird shop. Looks like you walked into a Plot Hook

Well, the first thing to do is to have your Head Necromancer explain how he plans on destroying the village. If he actually has the chops to do it, then you're probably going to have to go along with it unless you can find some way to prevent him from controlling your actions.

If he needs your cooperation or something, then you can try to control him instead. See if he'll buy into your original plan of establishing a Necro-topia. If so, go with my variant plan of holing up in some defensible position, pimping it out with undead guards, and then declaring it a safe-zone. If you manage to do that without pissing the elves off too much (i.e. don't blow up the village) then they might not send out more than a token force to bring you back - if at all.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Weird shop. Looks like you walked into a Plot Hook

Well, the first thing to do is to have your Head Necromancer explain how he plans on destroying the village. If he actually has the chops to do it, then you're probably going to have to go along with it unless you can find some way to prevent him from controlling your actions.

If he needs your cooperation or something, then you can try to control him instead. See if he'll buy into your original plan of establishing a Necro-topia. If so, go with my variant plan of holing up in some defensible position, pimping it out with undead guards, and then declaring it a safe-zone. If you manage to do that without pissing the elves off too much (i.e. don't blow up the village) then they might not send out more than a token force to bring you back - if at all.
    Well actually he just nuked the village within five seconds of telling me his name.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well actually he just nuked the village within five seconds of telling me his name.
    Huh. Somehow I missed that.

Well, is your PC Evil? If so, go along with it. Ask him what his master plan is and see if you can't make a better master plan.

If not, then alert your fellow PCs and see if they can figure out a way to shut up Bookman.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. Somehow I missed that.

Well, is your PC Evil? If so, go along with it. Ask him what his master plan is and see if you can't make a better master plan.

If not, then alert your fellow PCs and see if they can figure out a way to shut up Bookman.
    Evil yes.

However his master plan makes me look complicated. I'm not.

It essentially consists of kill/animate everyone. Except those who serve out of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by "Lord" Geleth AKA Mr. Bookman
    Simple, simple, they die. They become our servants, those who do not wish to die will serve under the threat of our power. Living have their uses... some things cannot be done by the dead. Ah! I will show you!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Evil yes.

However his master plan makes me look complicated. I'm not.

It essentially consists of kill/animate everyone. Except those who serve out of fear.
    He's... not particularly interested in building a kingdom, is he? Perhaps you can make him

(1) See if he has actual necromantic lore, instead of just blowing stuff up. If so, animate those villagers and get out post-haste.

(2) If you are currently in a place where living people can witness you, murder them all and animate their corpses.

(3) Escape into the wilds so that you have some time to learn from the "master"

(4) Ask Master if he has any spells that allow him to trap & use the souls of other magic users. If not, suggest you research such a spell, since the magic users in this period are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

(5) Establish your Necro-Topia with an amnesty for spellcasters. As they arrive, tutor them in the Dark Arts until they are powerful enough for you to use their souls effectively.

(6) Trick the spellcasters into trapping their souls by convincing them it is part of the Ritual for becoming a Lich. Use these souls to then enhance your (and your Master's) powers.

(7) Rule the World.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Check and see if the shop is still there.

Also, wasn't this the plot of the second Harry Potter book?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would recommend not giving into the DM's wiles, at least not willingly. "Never waste the opportunity to make a centuries-old horror look like an idiot", I always say.

Killing yourself, or threatening to kill yourself, is an option. I recommend you take the stance that "evil is boring", and constantly be condescending. This way you can say things like, "that's just so boring that I could die". Become a skeleton artiste or something, and resist every urge to do evil in the most detached way possible. Use his great powers to like scratch yourself or get carried around on a throne of bones rather than walking.

While this means the DM will mind control you and make you do this anyways, it means you can make fun of the evil spirit when it's inevitably a tangible enemy, too.

Evil will always beat Good, because Good is dumb. Neutral will always beat evil because evil takes itself seriously.
    Playground in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ice View Post
    Killing yourself, or threatening to kill yourself, is an option. I recommend you take the stance that "evil is boring", and constantly be condescending. This way you can say things like, "that's just so boring that I could die". Become a skeleton artiste or something, and resist every urge to do evil in the most detached way possible. Use his great powers to like scratch yourself or get carried around on a throne of bones rather than walking.
    Are you suggesting that he become a Necromantic Hipster?

"I could have been into subjugating the world a year ago, maybe. Now it's too mainstream."

"Wights? No, I'm really into Animus right now. They're pretty obscure. You probably haven't heard of them."

"I'm sitting on this throne of bones ironically."

The horror

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are you suggesting that he become a Necromantic Hipster?

"I could have been into subjugating the world a year ago, maybe. Now it's too mainstream."

"Wights? No, I'm really into Animus right now. They're pretty obscure. You probably haven't heard of them."

"I'm sitting on this throne of bones ironically."

The horror
    That is exactly what I am suggesting.
    Playground in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I suggest you call him Harvey and make sure NOT to tell him how to create wormholes. and when he pushes you, make sure to show him how bad an idea that really is.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Ice View Post
    That is exactly what I am suggesting.
    In that case, he should make sure that the rest of his group is okay with playing a horror game.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Wait, a shop in the Elf village sold you a book with a necromancer in it, and now they're upset that you have a necromantic spirit companion? That makes remarkably little sense.

In any case, +1 to treating it with zero respect.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daremonai View Post
    Wait, a shop in the Elf village sold you a book with a necromancer in it, and now they're upset that you have a necromantic spirit companion? That makes remarkably little sense.

In any case, +1 to treating it with zero respect.
    No they are more upset about said spirit killing an innkeeper and nuking the village.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    I suggest you call him Harvey and make sure NOT to tell him how to create wormholes. and when he pushes you, make sure to show him how bad an idea that really is.
    If I could high five you for that, I would.

On topic, talk it over with the rest of your party. See how they feel about the whole thing. Are they aware of the issue? Could you hide it from them? Unlikely, but could you?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    If I could high five you for that, I would.

On topic, talk it over with the rest of your party. See how they feel about the whole thing. Are they aware of the issue? Could you hide it from them? Unlikely, but could you?
    At the time I hadn't met the party yet, however another PC (with just my luck an elf) just found me waking up in the smoldering ruins of the town.

They haven't posted yet but...
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

At the time I hadn't met the party yet, however another PC (with just my luck an elf) just found me waking up in the smoldering ruins of the town.

They haven't posted yet but...
    Have ranks in Bluff and start working on a good lie.

"Oh gods, that horrible necromancer killed everyone but left me to suffer!" (which technically, isn't even false)

*halo*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Not sure I get the reference... Something from Dr Who or Star Trek maybe?

Necromantic Hipster, god, someone shoot me. That's even more horrifying than regular hipsters. Especially the ultra whiny longboarders I see at school.
    Them:"Why can't I just use my board when I want!!"
    Me:"Maybe because there's two feet of snow on the ground dude, and it's still coming down." (Freshman year, in the school's HUB)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, how much can this spirit guy observe? Does he use your senses or something else? Because there is the possibility of getting the rest of the party's help by simply writing a note outside of your range of vision if he simply sees through your eyes and hears through your ears. Also, ask his opinion of snakes. If he really likes them, your DM ripped off Harry Potter completely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Not sure I get the reference... Something from Dr Who or Star Trek maybe?
    Farscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    Have ranks in Bluff and start working on a good lie.

"Oh gods, that horrible necromancer killed everyone but left me to suffer!" (which technically, isn't even false)

*halo*
    I was thinking a similar thing. Heck, make yourself out to be a tormented martyr.

"I could not save the village, but I managed to seal the necromancer's spirit within my body so that he could not run unchecked."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    Farscape.
    I was thinking a similar thing. Heck, make yourself out to be a tormented martyr.

"I could not save the village, but I managed to seal the necromancer's spirit within my body so that he could not run unchecked."
    Ahh, Farscape... Just when it was getting big, my roommate went all rabid fanboy over the show, and I decided it wasn't worth my time. Seriously, he was sorta creepy about it.

Hey, couldn't you get a protection from evil, it'll hedge out mental control. And I like the idea of a tormented martyr. Now you need to create a fake ritual.
    "Highness, while under the influence of the spell your priest cast on me, I have control over my own actions. But as soon as that control slips, I must fight that monster again. So I propose to create a ritual which will at best destroy him, barring that, it'll lock him away, preventing him from controlling my body, permanently. I've done some preliminary research, and I'll need the following: 10 diamonds worth 10000gp each. 20 rubies worth 5000 gp each. As well as....
    Yes your majesty, I know it's a tall order, but right now a single dispelling would be enough to give that thing control of my body, perhaps while loose within the bounds of your kingdom. And if you think he was bad before..." *bluff check*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Better make sure the kingdom you try this in is all noble and heroic, otherwise the king will say 'Hmm, so a 200000gp ritual or the sacrifice of an innocent to permanently defeat this villain? We'll make a statue in honor of your noble sacrifice.'

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Better make sure the kingdom you try this in is all noble and heroic, otherwise the king will say 'Hmm, so a 200000gp ritual or the sacrifice of an innocent to permanently defeat this villain? We'll make a statue in honor of your noble sacrifice.'
    Actually I could say, without lying at all, that all that would do is make it worse.

I die, he jumps to someone/something nearby.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Actually I could say, without lying at all, that all that would do is make it worse.

I die, he jumps to someone/something nearby.
    Gotta phrase it right, or they'll just lock you up for the rest of your life. Maybe in an antimagic cell, or wearing shackles with a permanent "Protection from evil" effect.