New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default (3.5) Peach a Class Feature -- Extra Actions in a Round

I am working on the final class for my e10 game, an infiltrator/scout like class that focuses on speed and action economy. Below is the signature class feature for the class. Any input would be appreciated!

Level 1: Swiftness: A number of times per day equal to his (Dexterity modifier + 1/2 Scout level), the scout may take an additional standard action. The scout must use this ability on his turn, and may only expend 1 use of swiftness each round. Activating Swiftness is a free action.

Level 4: Superior Swiftness: The scout may expend his daily uses of swiftness even when it it not his turn, but may only expend 1 use per round.

Level 6: Swift Dodge: When the scout is struck by a melee attack or fails a reflex save, he may expend a daily use of swiftness to attempt to avoid the attack. The scout expends a daily use of swiftness to force his opponent to re-roll the attack or to re-roll his own failed save. The scout must keep the result of the re-roll.
    Using Swift Dodge counts against the scouts limit per turn.

Level 10: Alacrity: As a free action on his turn, the scout may expend a daily use of Swiftness to grant himself the benefits of Haste for 2 rounds.

Thanks for all the help. PEACH away!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Peach a Class Feature -- Extra Actions in a Round

Swiftness is way too strong for level 1, and the level 10 ability is way too weak. Haste isn't all that strong, but extra standard actions are a pretty huge deal.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Swiftness is way too strong for level 1, and the level 10 ability is way too weak. Haste isn't all that strong, but extra standard actions are a pretty huge deal.
    Agreed, on both counts. Perhaps if Swiftness started out granting only move actions, then later in the progression ratcheted up to standards? Call it level 8 or so where you get standard actions?

Also, it'd be nice to see the rest of the class, to know what else this class gets. Easier to balance when its not in a vacuum.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-06-01 at 11:01 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

So would something like:

Level 1: Take an extra move action

Level 4: Take a standard action

Level 6: Take an action at any point

Level 10: Extra full action?

As for the other class features, I'm not really certain. I have another class (called the Adventurer) that specializes in evasive abilities, so I don't want to grant too much of that. Maybe Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Starting with a Haste-like effect might be warranted, if you don't want this to be too dip-able. I'm not entirely clear on how your E10 system will work re: multiclassing, though.

6. - Top - End - #6

Beholder

Multi-classing is very limited: you can only do it after level 5, and you can only gain 1 other class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wayfare View Post
    So would something like:

Level 1: Take an extra move action

Level 4: Take a standard action

Level 6: Take an action at any point

Level 10: Extra full action?

As for the other class features, I'm not really certain. I have another class (called the Adventurer) that specializes in evasive abilities, so I don't want to grant too much of that. Maybe Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge.
    No, that's really pretty good still. Try...

1: Move.

4: Haste-duplication.

6: Any time.

10: Standard.

Gaining extra standard actions is really powerful, capstone-level powerful even.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-06-01 at 11:29 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Just a note that with a scout type character that this class is aimed for, extra move actions are not that minor, allowing a full melee attack with skirmish damage.

I think the haste effect is the lowest of the effects, stength-wise, and would start there with the lowest level. 1 round of haste per daily use, increasing the rounds of haste per use as he gains the ability to gain free actions.

Something like:
    1 - 1 round haste
    2 - 2 rounds haste or 1 swift action
    3 - immediate action
    4 - 3 rounds haste or move action
    5 - immediate move action
    6 - 4 rounds haste or standard action
    8 - immediate standard action
    10 - 5 rounds haste or full round action with fatigue

Gives something at every level, even move actions take a little bit of time to get, and standard actions are very deep. The capstone is something people really want, but wont get used more than once a fight.