Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Cloak and Dagger: Diplomacy [Finished]

Spring 1901

The countryside of Europe is quiet. Too quiet...

It is the Spring of 1901, a period of economic success and peaceful relationships. Everything appears calm. But behind locked doors, leaders are impatient. Leaders are impatient and ready, in case there's a knife in the dark, a shot in a crowded street. England's fleets are unmatched and in the east, the Russian Bear is beginning to rear its head.

And if this tinder box goes up in flames, who knows who will be left standing and who will have a knife in their back.

Alright, melodrama aside, here's the map, one more time:

And the players...

Austria - Artemis97 Bosh
    England - 4is111
    France - nolispe Vexen
    Germany - IcemanJRC Makleveh
    Italy - Dr. Murderblood TsukikoJ
    Russia - Flash in't Pan SemiteLock Chaotic Bob Moody the Wise
    Turkey - Murska

------

First off, everyone needs to post here to confirm his or her continued presence. Use this post to specify the method of communication you would prefer: email or PM. Also use this post to introduce yourself and the character in which you will be conducting negotiations. That character can be yourself, that's fine, but it's helpful for people to know how to address you.

Examples: In the a game several years ago, Electric_Monkey introduced himself as "Shogun Mon-Ke," a clear play on his name. On the other hand, Moody the Wise played in a standard game as "Tsar Mikhail." I also know someone (Makleveh) who just signs letters "Bri."

It can also be entertaining to post clips from "newspapers" and such. This thread has some great examples, although the game died sort of prematurely. Basically, newspapers are for amusement and trash talk and maybe if you're super clever, manipulating everybody else. Mainly though, they're for the funny. Here's a game with sillier newspapers.

For those who are new, I need to emphasize a couple of things:
    1. Turn your orders in a day early for the first couple of turns. These don't have to be your final draft and it's really only a recommendation, but this way I can check and make sure everything you're doing is completely legal. If, when I'm processing orders, I find a mistake, it just doesn't get processed.
    2. You might want to check out an older game, just to make sure you understand how things work. You can find a good example game to look at here
    3. Have fun.

One last thing, about submitting orders: any format is okay as long as it is absolutely clear what is meant. Examples for france:

F bre-mao
    Fleet brest moves to mid atlantic ocean
    France F BRE moves to MAO

and so on. Just make it clear.

F edi-nor is an example of an order that would not be processed. This could indicate that the fleet wishes to move to the Norwegian Sea or the North Sea.

Okay, get diplomating. Send those PMs, stab each other in the backs, etc.

Spring 1901 orders are due Monday, June 13 2200 EDT
    Last edited by thewamp; 2011-10-25 at 03:42 PM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair
    Turkey - Fly Like a Butterfly
    French Austrians - Realpolitik

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Cloak and Dagger: Diplomacy

((OOC: I prefer PMs.))

The Sultan was uncomfortable.

He was a bright man, one of the rare men of that kind to reach the throne of the Ottoman Empire lately.

The Turks' power had been in decline for decades. And if he wouldn't change things now, they would fade to obscurity sooner rather than later.

But the other nations of Europe were more advanced and ready for war. He? If this was the state of readiness for the Turks, it was laughable. But it was what he had, and it would have to make do. He would have to make up for quality and quantity with superior strategy and diplomacy. Easier said than done, that.

However, he'd have to try.

((You can feel free to call the Sultan Sultan, at least until he reveals a name.))
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Empress Artemis I restlessly paced the halls of her Vienna palace. Messengers brought rumors, that despite the calm visage that Europe wore, war was coming. But from where? The question had her in a state of unease. Quietly, the Empress ordered her armies mustered, her fleet prepared. Battle was coming and she would not be caught off guard.

((PMs are best for me as well))
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Kaiser drummed his fingers along his desk as he overlooked reports from previous years. Everything was fine, prosperous even, but they all pointed towards mounting uncertainty, restlessness. War was coming and the Kaiser was the one to bring Germany through it.

((PMs please.))
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

5. - Top - End - #5

The king paced back and forth in his thrown room, pondering the words of his trusted adviser.
    "War? Are you sure there is no other way, old friend?"
    "None, my king. Soon Europe will be enveloped in the fires of war. Nothing can stop it now that it has been craved upon the very living rock of time immemorial, but who will rise victorious remains to be seen. I thought this news would excite you. What happened to the little soldier, ready to conquer the world, I used to know?"
    "I've been king a long time, my friend, and if there's one thing that I've learned since I first dawned my crown, its to love my countrymen. How can I not be saddened that I must now send them to fight and die for our very survival? It is a heavy burdon to bear."
    "But bear it you must my king, lest the fires of war consume us all."
    "I know, old friend, I know all too well."
    Last edited by 4is111; 2011-06-06 at 10:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

You all are absolutely welcome to roleplay in the sense that you've been doing. But to make it clear for those who prefer not to, you are also welcome to do something like this:

"Godzilla Attacks Japan, Kills Emperor, Declares Himself New God-King

That's right. The new emperor is a 500-ft. monster. The Kingdom of Godzilla is now open for diplomacy."

or this:

"The Noble Tsar Nicholas III has seized control of the Russian Empire from his predecessor. After a period of silence, ambassadors may now be accepted via PM."

--

Which is to say, there's really several varieties of posting in diplomacy threads that I've seen and they're all awesome and this thread has only had one type so far, so I don't want anyone just showing up to think that they're forced to roleplay it in the same way you would a DnD character. But it is an option (an *awesome* option?).

Other options do include just saying "Hi, I'm <country>, contact me by PM." The important thing is that people know how to contact you and what to refer to you as.

--

Okay, I've said enough, I'm shutting up.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

7. - Top - End - #7

Germany to hold sausage eating contest to electe new Kaiser!

Recipes or diplomacy can be sent to the current Kaiser via PM.

((Like this?))

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

8. - Top - End - #8

The Rise of Scientia Deus

'What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules.' - Dominic Cobb, Inception

Ideas are strange things. Often, they are tracked as memes, equivilents to genes, and considered as an infomation quotient that moves across hosts to replicate. This is true. However, an idea may also be modelled as an animal population. As it 'breeds' by spreading from host to host, it dies as it is forgotten. Sometimes, the idea even acts socially with others of its kind or other 'species'. Often, it enters into a symbiotic relationship with other ideas. As ideas interact, they often share data, merging into one. Often, these complexes of ideas show amazing flexibility in responding to new situations. What if an idea network was to grow sufficently complex and respond to situations with sufficent adaptibility that it reacted in ways similar to sentinent creatures?
    What if an idea could think?
    Six months ago, Scientia Deus became sentinent. Since then, it has spread across France, communicating with itself through people, and continuously trying to centralise knowlege. Lacking as it does a central core, it finds this distinctly difficult. Scientia Deus is an idea, although the specifics of the concept are difficult to express. It is something similar to the concept of unity and the excerise of power through sharing. Something like that, anyway.

Either way, it has unified itself, and the people of France are now all possessed of a a singular idea. And they intend to spread this idea, by force if nessesary. They do not wish harm to other nations, of course. Unless they were so stupid as to stand in it's way.

Scentia Deus has seized control of France. Foreign powers are invited to send diplomatic missives via PM to the new administration.
    Last edited by nolispe; 2011-06-07 at 03:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    ((Like this?))
    Oh crap, no, either way is good is my point. All I meant to do was make sure that no one felt that they had to do extensive DnD type roleplaying when it's a board game. I really don't care what type of posts you choose to make. Although if it is funny, in whatever form you choose, no one's really going to complain ;)

EDIT: Also, any players that we do not hear from by Thursday night will be replaced by alternates.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2011-06-08 at 09:42 AM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

10. - Top - End - #10

This may be a silly question, but which shore is the Germain fleet in Kiel on?

11. - Top - End - #11

It doesn't matter, there is a canal through Kiel.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by 4is111 View Post
    This may be a silly question, but which shore is the Germain fleet in Kiel on?
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    It doesn't matter, there is a canal through Kiel.
    Precisely. So both F kie - hel and F kie - bal are legal moves.

That area (Kiel and Denmark) I believe has a bit of a detailed explanation somewhere in the rules.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

13. - Top - End - #13

Alright, those who have yet to check in have 24 hours to do so before we go to our first two alternates.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

14. - Top - End - #14

By my numbers, it's time now. Can we stop waiting and go to the alternates? If they turn up, then let them take over, but I really want them to exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

For Protector-General Ferruccio Durante, it seemed to be finally the time for House Durante to lead the fractured Italian states, using the thankfully uncaring lead of their useless king and his hangers on. He had riled up peasants and nobleman alike to seize back lands that historically belonged to them and the country was on the warpath. Little did most know, he spoke of the roman maps

(PMs Please)
    Last edited by Dr. Murderblood; 2011-06-12 at 11:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

It's official SemiteLock is replacing Flash in't Pan as Russia. However, he said that he was going to have only limited internet over the weekend, so (and apologies all) we're extending the first deadline by 48 hours.

Orders are now due Wednesday at 10PM EDT

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for the extension and sorry for the delay. It was graduation this weekend and I had 8 friends going through the ceremony, so priorities.

The latest news reports from Moscow brings strange news to the world. The tsars have been overthrown by the good people, and in their stead a Siberian wolf hound has been raised to supreme leader. Roffy, as he is loving called for his people, has announced that private messages are his preferred contact. At least thats what his advisors think he said.

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler
    Show
    Congrats!

In case anyone hadn't figured it out by all the pms, I too prefer to be addressed in private. I'll only post rules questions here.

19. - Top - End - #19

This is your 22 Hour Warning

For those who haven't, get your orders in

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

20. - Top - End - #20

Spring 1901

Austria - Artemis97
    A bud - ser
    A vie - bud
    F trie - adr

England - 4is111
    Fleet London Move to North Sea
    Fleet Edinburgh Move to Norwegian Sea
    Army Liverpool Move to Edinburgh

France - nolispe
    Fleet in Brest moves to the Mid Atlantic Ocean
    Army in Paris moves to Burgundy
    Army in Marsillies moves to Spain

Germany - IcemanJRC
    Kiel to Denmark
    Munich to Ruhr
    Berlin to Prussia

Italy - Dr. Murderblood
    A VEN - PIE
    A ROM - VEN
    F NAP - ION

Russia - SemiteLock
    F Stp - Bot
    A War - Pru
    F sev - Rum
    A Mos - Ukr

Turkey - Murska
    F Ank - Bla
    A Con - Bul
    A Smy - Con

Since there are no retreats that need to be made,

Fall 1901 Orders are due Monday 6/20/11 at 10pm EDT
    Last edited by thewamp; 2011-06-22 at 01:24 AM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

The Sultan's Realpolitik Overview

Fascinating spring we've had. Okay, let's take a look at Europa.

First, the West. England and France have negotiated a deal about demilitarizing the Channel, and actually held to it. Interesting, that. I wonder what the Kaiser is thinking? These are bad tidings to him, I'm certain. England seems to be moving for Norway, as usual, and likely contesting Belgium. Of course, it's possible he'll move for a full-on assault at St. Petersburg... Who knows?

Russia and Germany have clashed at Prussia. Wait, what? Why on earth would either one of them move to Prussia? That's suicidal, for both. Germany cannot afford not to worry about France and England and Russia is busy consolidating it's position in the Balkans and Scandinavia. There's something here I'm not seeing.

An Italian army in Piedmont threatens Marseilles. France is only vulnerable like this on the very first turn, as they'll get troops from the Iberian Peninsula to plug the gap soon enough... but maybe this is a ploy and France intends to take Munich? Things depends on what Italy has discussed with Austria, as well.

All in all, it seems France wants the Iberian Peninsula wholly very quickly, has negotiated a deal with England allowing them to take it and is not yet throwing in the towel in Belgium either. A strong position to be in, certainly, especially with a weakened Germany with Russia on their backs. As for Germany, I wonder what's going on in Prussia. Maybe Germany intends to block off Russia from Sweden? England is gearing up for a push on either the Low Countries or Russia, most likely the former.

In the East, on the other hand, there's more action. Turkey has taken Black Sea, the Channel-equivalent in the East. (except even more important) Russia did not contest - maybe there was a deal in place? The Sultan refuses to comment. Turkey is moving on the Balkans and leaving the Mediterranean alone for now, with Italians on the Ionian Sea going to take Tunis with a fleet.

The border between Venice and Trieste is currently not a warzone, but the Austrian fleet in Adriatic is somewhat threatening to the Italians. Then again, the Italian army in Venice can counterattack. The tensions are high, let's hope diplomacy wins out in the end.

Other than that, Austria is not pushing for a full-on attack with Russia, probably signifying that they haven't solidified an alliance with Turkey, but they are threatening Rumany with a Budapest-Serbia deployment. Looks like there'll be trouble as the Russians will have to protect their holdings in Rumany, unless Austria decides to contest Greece instead - highly unlikely with the fleet in the Adriatic instead of Albania.

No deployments into Galicia yet. A careful start from Russia at first glance, but then we notice that they actually went Warsaw-Prussia for whatever reason. So not that careful after all.

We'll see how things turn out. Currently, there's no single nation in a dominant position, though there are a few that are slightly weaker than their neighbours.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

EXPOSE BY THE VENETIAN ENQUIRER
    NEWS THAT WILL CHANGE THE COURSE OF EUROPE FOREVER

It has come to our attention through an anonymous contact that a secret report has been leaked by the Venetian Council of Completely Reliable and Indisputable Science, that states that Protector-General Ferrucio Durante is in fact the the Smartest, Most Charismatic and Most Handsomtastic Leader that this continent/Planet has ever produced, and that no one should shoot him in the face and sieze power, like the fate of the previous 50 leaders in from our recently ended 10 year civil war.

The anonymous contact said to take it to our graves, and only to speak of it to family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, local gossips, and the masses

Notes: Our reporter on the scene said that our contact looked an awful lot like the protector-general wearing a fake moustache

"It seemed an odd disguise, a fake mustache, especially considering the protector-general already has a mustache. However the two lines of armed royal guards pointing muskets towards my face coerced me into not pressing the subject and simply accepting the report."

(OOC: is this what you mean with newspaper clippings)

Coming up: "How repeatedly commiting regicide will eventually produce leadership who aren't useless nobles: The Italian Success story."
    Last edited by Dr. Murderblood; 2011-06-18 at 12:59 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Canine Weekly

Bark bark bark bark bark woof woof howl. Bark.

24. - Top - End - #24

Well, it was deadline, but we're missing 3 sets of orders and I neglected to post a 24 hour warning. My policy when I've screwed that up is just to extend the deadline by 24 hours. Apologies to all. But

This is your 20 Hour Warning

And this time around, I have put up a warning, so if I don't get orders, all your units are holding

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Who exactly hasn't sent their orders? I'm pretty sure I did...
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Who exactly hasn't sent their orders? I'm pretty sure I did...
    THAT would be me. Der sorry, was busy setting up another game. Will do them right now

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SemiteLock View Post
    THAT would be me. Der sorry, was busy setting up another game. Will do them right now
    Kein problem.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Fall 1901

Austria - Artemis97
    A Rum - Bud
    A Ser S A Rum - Bud
    F Adr C A Ven - Ion

England - 4is111
    Fleet Norwegian Sea Move to Norway
    Fleet North Sea Convoy Army Edinburgh to Belguim
    Army Edinburgh be Convoyed through North Sea to Belgium

France - nolispe
    Army in Spain moves to Marsillies
    Fleet in the Mid Atlantic Ocean moves to Portugal
    Army in Burgundy moves to Belgium

Germany - IcemanJRC
    Fleet Denmark to Sweden
    Army Ruhr to Holland
    Army Berlin to Silesia

Italy - Dr. Murderblood
    A Pie - Ven
    A Ven - Tun
    F Ion C A Ven - Tun

Russia - SemiteLock
    F bot - Swe
    A Ukr Support F Rum
    A war - Pru

Turkey - Murska
    F BLA - Sev
    A Bul - Gre
    A Con - Bul

Since there are no retreats that need to be made, we move on to builds

Builds!
    Austria may build 1 unit
    England may build 1 unit
    France may build 1 unit
    Germany may build 2 units
    Italy may build 1 unit
    Russia has no builds
    Turkey may build 3 units

Winter 1901 Build Orders are due Thursday at 10pm, EDT
    In the future, we'll probably only have 24 hours for build and retreat phases, but this is the first one, so I'm giving a bit of extra time.

PS: There won't be a 24 hour warning.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2011-06-22 at 01:40 AM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

29. - Top - End - #29

Hey all, I screwed up and forgot I'm flying out today and thus don't have access to a computer with jdip. I'll adjudicate tonight.

For those who haven't submitted your builds, get 'em in. Seriously.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

30. - Top - End - #30

Builds!

Austria:
    Austria: Builds A vie
    England:
    England: Builds F lon
    France:
    1 build was unused.
    Germany:
    Germany: Builds A ber
    Germany: Builds F kie
    Italy:
    Italy: Builds F nap
    Russia:
    Turkey:
    Turkey: Builds A ank
    Turkey: Builds F con
    Turkey: Builds F smy

Spring 1902 Moves due Tuesday at 10PM EDT
    Also, just a note: if you ever need an extension on orders, let me know before the deadline, and we can probably push the deadlines back.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair