New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A question which has probably been asked before, re: powering up Monks

How much of a boost (and/or broken) would it be if, in an effort to make Monks more powerful, the DM granted them all the benefits of 3.5 Vow of Poverty (less the bonus Exalted Feats), without imposing any of the restrictions of the Vow?

Does your answer change at all depending on if it's the 3.5 or Pathfinder Monk under consideration?
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A question which has probably been asked before, re: powering up Monks

Almost no benefit at all, and not really.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: A question which has probably been asked before, re: powering up Monks

Harsh, Seerow. VoP gives some nice bonuses, they just aren't good enough to make up for no magic items.

But for free.. It enhances an unarmed strike, so that opens up your neck slot more since you have a built in amulet of natural attacks. It gives an armor bonus, and monks don't wear armor anyway, and not needing to breathe makes drowning and inhaling poison much less likely.

Though it does seem a little unfair, since you're giving him persistent magical buffs (including free +8 Wis/+6 Dex/+4 Con/+2 Str) but its a monk. He could use the upgrades.

Remember that exalted bonuses only apply to good-aligned characters

Edit: I don't play Pathfinder. Can't help you there
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-08 at 10:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have to say that itd be a good boost in power, though primarily due to the ability to use your gold for other things, instead of what the Vow grants. This is assuming a high magic campaign though. In a low magic campaign, thats quite jump. I dont know whether itd be broken or what-have-you, but itd definitely be better in either case.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...magical trumps mundane so often that mundane really needs to be able to give magic a good kick in the junk now and then.