New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Mutate Template - the Doctor is in. PEACH

Inspired by MammonAzrael's Pact Descendant/Heir template (and also based on it), Realms of Chaos' Chirurgeon PrC and the X-men villain Mr. Sinister, I've
    decided to go ahead and create a new template. Because I love templates. So very, very much.
    It functions nicely for your all your failed super-soldier experiment needs, as well as Daelkyr minions popping out of the Husk of Infinite Worlds and also
    for PCs to pretend they're Wolverine all over again.
    Anyhoo, I have no idea what the CR or LA adjustment should be so fire away with ideas on that, as well as anything else you want to poke and prod at.
    Not sure how to properly word the Naturally Psionic SQ, but I think it's clear. If not, suggest something better - I'm all ears.

The Mutate Template:

Welcome to the Workshop, I'll be your doctor today. No, no names. Now, what is it you were looking for? I assure you the rewards are quite worth the cost, perhaps you will consent to stay a while after the surgery? Do consider carefully, I would be most upset if you left prematurely

Spoiler
    Show
    Whether poor degenerates snatched from the streets and experimented upon or willing volunteers, Mutates are all warped, strange individuals. The Process has changed them in body and possibly in soul. The new powers they enjoy as a result make them in high demand as mercenaries (indeed, it tends to be they who seek out the Process willingly) and 'fixers', but the powers also change them. Some go mad, unable to reconcile their new, changed forms with their previous identity...some go mad with power, blasting and slicing their way to the top of whatever hierarchy they currently toil for. It is exceedingly rare for anyone to come out as mentally sound as they went in but such is the price you pay for visiting the Workshop.

Spoiler
    Show
    Size and Type:
    The creature's type changes to Aberration but doesn't gain darkvision. Size is unchanged
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Special Attacks:
    A Mutate may choose one of the following Special Attacks-

A Mutate retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains a claw attack
    The base damage for a Mutate's claw attack varies with its size as follows: Fine 1d3, Diminutive
    1d4, Tiny 1d6, Small 1d8, Medium-size 1d10, Large 2d6,
    Huge 2d8, Gargantuan 4d6, Colossal 4d8. If the base creature
    already has a claw attack, the Mutate uses the better base damage

A Mutate gains additional special attacks depending on its Hit Dice, as shown on the table below.
    It gains the special attacks indicated in the row corresponding to its Hit Dice, plus all those in previous rows.
    If the base creature possesses a duplicate ability, the Mutate uses whichever version of the ability is better.
    Hit Dice Special Attack
    1–3 Improved grab
    4–7 Pounce
    8–11 Rake
    12+ Rend

OR
    A Mutate retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the bio-blast attack (functions identically to eldritch blast)

Bio-Blast (Sp): A Mutate has the innate ability to fire a Bio-Blast, an arcane blast powered by it’s aberrant nature, at-will.
    A Bio-blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw.
    A Bio-blast deals 1d6 points of damage. Increase this damage by 1d6 for each 5 HD the pact descendant has.
    A Bio-blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the Mutate HD minimum 1 and maximum of 9th at 18 hit dice or more.
    A Bio-blast deals half damage to objects.
    If a Mutate gains the eldritch blast class feature from another source the damage and effects stack with Bio-blast

Special Quality:
    A mutate retains all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Altered Genetics - the Mutate has been altered in some way by the Process- it gains 3 of the following qualities:

Armor Class; the mutate gains a +2 bonus to it's natural armor class. Increase by 1 for each 3HD the Mutate has

Damage Reduction; The Mutate has damage reduction 2/acid. Increase this damage reduction by 1 for each 3 HD the Mutate has

Enhanced Ability; the Mutate increases an ability score by 2. Increase this ability score by 1 for each 4 HD the Mutate has

Energy Resistance: The Mutate has energy resistance 5 to one of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic.
    Increase this resistance by 1 for each 2 HD the Mutate has.
    The Mutate resists an additional energy type for each 7 HD it has.

Fast Healing: The Mutate has fast healing 2. Increase this fast healing by 1 for each 4 HD the Mutate has. This fast healing is only in effect when the Mutate is below 3/4 it’s full normal hit points

Naturally Psionic: The Mutate gains either 4 1st level powers, 3 2nd level powers or 2 3rd level powers all drawn from the Psychic Warrior list
    OR, at the expense of it's special attacks the Mutate can gain all the powers of one psionic Discipline, unlocking 1 power at every odd number HD/level (1st level at 1HD, 2nd at 3HD and so on). Only one power at each level may be learnt.
    Whichever the Mutate decides upon, they gain power points a day like a psion of half their HD/level

Inhuman Speed (Su): All modes of movement the Mutate has increase by 5 ft. per 2 HD it has. Increase the distance of the Mutate's 5 foot step by 5 ft. for each 8 HD it has.

Unnatural Sight (Su):
    The Mutate gains blindsense 30 ft. Increase the range of its blind sense by 5 ft. for each 3 HD it has.
    This becomes blindsight if the Mutate has 12 or more HD.

Feat:
    All Mutates gain the Willing Deformity vile feat even if they don't qualify for it

Abilities:
    Change from the base creature as follows: -2 Wis,-2 Cha

Challenge Rating:
    Same as the base creature +2

Alignment:
    If encountered away from their Maker, often Chaotic or Evil.
    If encountered with their Maker, usually within one step of the Maker's alignment.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2
    Last edited by tzaan; 2011-06-19 at 07:19 AM.
    done bun can't be undone

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mutate Template - the Doctor is in. PEACH

There is no Aberrant subtype, so unless you 'brew one, I advise to just have the type change to Aberration (Augmented [previous type]).

Bolding the sections of the template (such as Size, Type and Special Qualities) and italicizing the subsections (such as Fast Healing) will improve readability.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Mutate Template - the Doctor is in. PEACH

You should probably remove the 2nd spoiler. There isn't any need for it. It's not like you need to hide this information. Spoilers should be reserved for oversized pictures and actual movie and book spoilers. There's nothing there that is spoiled by looking at it.

Psionic creatures should also gain the Psionic subtype.

You should put the items under Altered Genetics in a list so that you can tell which items are in the list and which aren't. It looks like all of them are in the list but I wasn't sure.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread