New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What system to use for superhero game?

What the title says. If I were running a superhero game what is the best system to use? In RL? In play-by-post? Are there varying degrees of what is useful (does one system work well for gritty street level games and one for Avengers/JLA style games?)
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What system to use for superhero game?

Mutants and Masterminds (2e or 3e) is a system that takes some time to learn due to the number of options available and requires player cooperation and DM supervision during character creation in order to make sure nobody is too powerful or too weak, but at the same time the gameplay is very fast and fun and the game lets you build almost everything. I recommend it a lot. Works great for PbP from my experience and for live action games too from what others told me.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I used to play Marvel Superheroes RPG, it was a d10 based system and pretty not bad. No idea if it's in print anymore though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I saw a post exactly like this a month or two ago, but I don't have the link...

But yeah, MnM comes highly recommended.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

RL "With Great Power"
    It is set up to follow a comicbook story arc and is amazing. Free form leaning for character generation ensures everyone can be anything they want pretty much, and unusual mechanics prevent power discrepancies. Downsides : Weird mechanics some people may not be able to get into. It uses playing cards instead of dice. No mechanical advancement, characters develop and grow and powers can change, but you won't actually get mechanically stronger which is an important goal to some.

PBP "Mutants and Masterminds"
    Only because I think "With Great Power" would be too much of a hassle to try and run online, but I would attempt to figure out a way to do so first and if I couldn't then settle for M&M. Good and bad because of what others have already said: Make anything, but careful during creation as it's easy to have wildly different power levels.
    "Dinner should be logical" - Jon

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

i used to play abbarant, based on the whitewolf system. pretty fun, no dice rolling, but a bit complex for people not familiar with the whitewolf system.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TriForce View Post
    i used to play abbarant, based on the whitewolf system. pretty fun, no dice rolling, but a bit complex for people not familiar with the whitewolf system.
    It's also better used for the system, not the fluff, as it's more a superhuman, not superhero game. For all its good points, it's another superhero work written by people who don't like superheroes.

8. - Top - End - #8

ICONS super powered roleplay.

Easy to learn, fun to play and covers almost every fathomable superpower.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalsneerg View Post
    It's also better used for the system, not the fluff, as it's more a superhuman, not superhero game. For all its good points, it's another superhero work written by people who don't like superheroes.
    That's actually a decent description of Aberrant.

I've the most experience with HERO, AKA "Champions". 20+ years experience, actually It's a good & incredibly flexible system that requires a lot of work from the person running it. The best thing about HERO is that you can build almost anything in it; the worst thing about HERO is that you HAVE to build almost everything from scratch.

Another system I'd recommend but is probably almost impossible to find these days is the old Marvel FASERIP system. Did it have flaws? Yes. Where the gaps in power sufficiently wide? No. Was it actually fun when playing it? Yes.

There are similarly charms with the 9-stat DC Heroes system too. Throw the equipment rules out the window though. Again, you have the problem where the gaps in power aren't sufficient to the way they're depicted in the comics. However, it again plays better than it looks on paper.

I tried out the Marvel SAGA system and... it just didn't work.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Another system I'd recommend but is probably almost impossible to find these days is the old Marvel FASERIP system. Did it have flaws? Yes. Where the gaps in power sufficiently wide? No. Was it actually fun when playing it? Yes.
    I think there's still a couple of online communities for it who host all the books and have a big archive of suggested house rules and NPCs.

Mind you, I can't remember the URL or actually find the site...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd also like to suggest Mutants and Masterminds. I haven't tried 3e yet but 2e is a great game.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I finally get to recommend Mutants & Masterminds (well, like, eighth Tengu's recommendation) for the genre it was actually intended for.

Seriously, though, it's fantastic. I need to get on experimenting with 3e.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2011-06-14 at 03:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #13

I recommend Truth and Justice. It's the other end of the crunch spectrum from MnM but still holds up well for playing in the superhero genre. Also the book has many excellent GMing advice for the superhero genre.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TriForce View Post
    I have afair number of Aberrant books sitting on my shelf and I'm not entirely sure what you mean 'no dice rolling' because it has a plenty robust dice system in close keeping with the other white wolf games. The only thing I can think of would be that character creation is point based instead of rolling. That's kind of an important thing to clarify when you say 'no dice rolling' though. I actually really like the system, but I think I would go with the next suggestion even over Aberrant.

I'll toss my hat in the ring for M&M 3E. I've not looked at the earlier versions much but from what I did see poking around at 2E it has a lot of holdovers from it's D&D 3.5 roots that don't really make sense and are only there because that's the way it was always done. 3E takes a lot of that and junks it, making for a system better designed to work for its intended use of superhero gaming.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Another vote for MnM. They key to that game is strong GMing, because there are several easy, uncomplicated ways to "break the game" (a misnomer, as the game is -supposed- to let some people be insanely powerful), so the limit has to be the GM's sensibilities.

If your players are going to whine because you won't let them create 100 heroic clones of himself in one round, even though the book says they can, this is not the system for you. That said, that type of player is not a good fit for a superhero game, where the character's idiom is king, not his numbers.
    YOUNG GOAT!

Get out of my mind
    My love for you is way out of line
    Better run, GOAT
    You're much to young, GOAT!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Godlike is incredible, with an ORE base, the same thing that uses Nemesis.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Sweet, in before RISUS.

Not only is it awesome, it's FREE!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

M&M
    It is awesome let me put it this way, want to be Luffy from One Piece you can. Want to be a Soul Reaper you can. Want to be a living blackhole you can.
    Be a master of magnetism, yes that to. How about a cyber-lich or a soul that possess bodies or a guy that mind controls others
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't