New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Heavenly Ascension (3.5 Prc, PEACH, Please)

The Sword of Heaven

Spoiler
    Show

"I'm here to end this. Not as a man of the church. Not as a soldier. Not as a paladin or an angel, no. I am here to kill you, as the Sword of Heironeous Himself!"- A Sword of Heironeous, to the high priest of Hextor

A sword of heaven is a warrior who has chosen to fight for his god, in the name of his god. Paladins and clerics are most likely to become swords of heaven, though some monks who seeks true enlightenment may believe they will find it in heaven as well.

Races: Humans are the most likely to choose the path of the angel, as they are the race that desires power more than any other. Aside from humans, gnomes and half-orcs are both likely to become angels as well. The discipline and structure of a warrior's life often appeals to the more mature gnomes who wish to escape their prankster brethren, and the path of righteous fury for half-orc paladins often inevitably leads to becoming a more direct servant of their gods. Dwarves rarely if ever join the fleets of swords of heavens; due to their natural attachment to the earth, the idea of flight seems rather silly to them.

Prerequisites:
    Type: Must not be Outsider
    Alignment: Any good
    Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 8 Ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 Ranks
    Languages: Celestial
    Other: BAB +4, Proficient with all simple and martial weapons
    Special: Must have a Patron Deity that is Good-Aligned

Hit Dice: d8
    Class Skills: The Sword of Heaven's class skills are Balance, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Jump, Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Move Silently, Perform (Sing), Profession, Sense Motive, and Spot
    Skill Points: 6+Int mod

The Sword of Heaven
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Smite Evil, Divine Sight

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Divine Speech

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Divine Resistance

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Divine Guidance

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Protection Aura

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Angelic Blessing

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Divine Understanding

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Divine Immunity

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Angelic Wings

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Heavenly Ascension[/table]

Class Features
    Spoiler
    Show

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Sword of Heaven receives no additional proficiencies.

Smite Evil (Ex): A Sword of Heaven gains the ability to turn his blade into a weapon of divine power. Against an evil opponent, the sword of heaven automatically adds his Charisma modifier to his attack rolls, and twice his class level to his weapon damage. (This applies to all melee, ranged, and natural attacks, but not to weaponlike spells or psionic powers)

Divine Sight (Ex): A Sword of Heaven is blessed by his god to allow for justice to be delivered at all hours of the day. The sword of heaven gains Darkvision out to 60', and low-light vision.

Divine Speech (Su): A Sword of Heaven knows that the main reason there is so much violence in the world is because of poor communication and works to correct that. Starting at 2nd level, the sword of heaven may speak to and understand any creature that has a language, as if under a continuous tongues spell. If this ability is suppressed, it immediately reactivates as soon as the suppression wears off, with no action required by the sword of heaven.

Divine Resistance (Ex): A Sword of Heaven is able to shrug off elemental attacks, though not to the degree that the evil extraplanar beings devils and demons are. Starting at 3rd level, the Sword of Heaven receives resistance to fire and electricity 10 that stacks with any other resistance.

Divine Guidance (Ex): A Sword of Heaven is able to use his force of personality as his strength, rather than simply supplementing it. Starting at 4th level, a Sword of Heaven may add his Charisma modifier to all attack rolls, melee/composite damage rolls, initiative checks, and opposed Strength checks such as bull rush and grapple, instead of his Strength/Dexterity modifier. (This stacks with his Smite Evil ability, so when making attack rolls against evil creatures, he adds twice his Charisma modifier instead of his Charisma + Strength/Dexterity modifier)

Protective Aura (Su): A Sword of Heaven is a weapon that his deity uses to fight evil, and at 5th level, the god provides him with a powerful shield. Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals character level). This aura can be dispelled, but the angel can create it again as a free action on its next turn.

Angelic Blessing (Ex): By 6th level, the sword of heaven's body has already started to adapt to his divine changes. He receives a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws versus poison.

Divine Understanding (Ex): A Sword of Heaven will use any means necessary to defend his ideals. At 7th level, the sword of heaven receives proficiency with all exotic weapons (Exotic Shields are not treated as Exotic Weapons unless they may be used to perform a shield bash). Additionally, he no longer receives a penalty for using an improvised weapon.

Divine Immunity (Ex): A Sword of Heaven is a celestial being, and his body rejects elements in the same way that the angels do. Starting at 8th level, a sword of heaven is immune to acid, cold, and petrification effects.

Angelic Wings (Ex): At 9th level, the Sword of Heaven's physical transformation begins, and he grows a set of feathery wings which grant him a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks, as well as a flight speed equal to twice his land speed (if he is Medium or smaller) or triple his land speed (if he is Large or Larger) with good maneuverability. A Sword of Heaven receives the Fly-By Attack feat as a bonus feat, ignoring the prerequisites.

Heavenly Ascension (Ex): At 10th level, the Sword of Heaven is a true angel. His type changes to Outsider(Angel, Extraplanar, and Good), and his home plane becomes the plane of his patron deity. He gains DR 10/Evil and any weapon he wields is treated as if it were good-aligned for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction. His hit dice all become d8s and he must reroll any non-d8 HD from class levels he already had. His Skill Points become 8+Int per level (x4 at first level) and he retroactively gains any unused skill points he had in lower skill point classes, which he must spend immediately. His Base Attack Bonus is recalculated as equal to his character level, and all his saving throws are recalculated as being equal to half his character level +2. Any HD or class levels he would gain are treated as Outsider Racial HD whenever it would benefit him, and they are treated as having Full BAB, all good saves, and 8+Int Skill Points per level. Additionally, Knowledge (The Planes) and Knowledge (Religion) are always considered class skills for him. From now on, his character level is also treated as Outsider Racial HD whenever it would be beneficial to him (Such as for determining his saving throw bonus against the dismissal spell).

Code of Conduct: If a Sword of Heaven ever commits an evil act, he loses all class features immediately, his wings shrink into his back and his original type and stats return (if he had reached tenth level). If this was done under magical compulsion, he may seek atonement from his church, and after atoning and receiving an atonement spell from a cleric, he may gain all his class features back.

If a Sword of Heaven willingly commits an evil act, or his alignment changes to nongood, or he willingly stops worshipping his Patron Deity, he immediately and irrevocably loses all his class features, and his BAB for this class is recalculated as if it was Poor (1/2 his class level instead of his full class level). He may also never take levels of Sword of Heaven again. (If he manages to make up with his god and receive atonement from the god himself or from his highest level cleric, he may regain these class features)
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-17 at 10:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Heavenly Ascension (3.5 Prc, PEACH, Please)

I'd go with d10 hp, and the Sword of Heaven doesn't gain proficiency with a nice exotic sword or something?
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-06-14 at 03:34 PM.

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    I'd go with d10 hp, and the Sword of Heaven doesn't gain proficiency with a nice exotic sword or something?
    Both are good points, but A) There is really no point in providing d10 HD if it's just going to be shrunk by the Outsider Type later (and D10 HD plus 8 skill points per level is a bit of a high chassis) and B) the Sword of Heaven receives proficiency with ALL exotic weapons already (See Divine Understanding). The name Sword of Heaven refers to the angel becoming his god's sword, not to the sword of heaven himself.

4. - Top - End - #4

... I love it. I have to find a game to use it in. Ooh, i think I may have one. If you don't mind of course.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Trodon View Post
    ... I love it. I have to find a game to use it in. Ooh, i think I may have one. If you don't mind of course.
    Not at all! Please, tell me how it goes, and offer any balance tips if you find any problems! Enjoy the class!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Not at all! Please, tell me how it goes, and offer any balance tips if you find any problems! Enjoy the class!
    The ONLY thing that I can think of from reading it is that you spend 10 levels gaining Outsider (Angel, Extraplaner, Good) abilities and then once you hit 10, you are one. It may be just me but it seems that this class should give something else, but I don't know it may just be me not having enough sleep recently.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Divine Resistance (Ex): A Sword of Heaven is able to shrug off elemental attacks, though not to the degree that his fellow extraplanar beings devils and demons are. Starting at 3rd level, the Sword of Heaven receives resistance to fire and electricity 10 that stacks with any other resistance.
    Is it just me or is that bolded bit wrong?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Is it just me or is that bolded bit wrong?
    I might be remembering incorrectly, but I thought demons were immune to electricity and devils were immune to fire.

Celestials receive a resistance bonus, but they are not immune like their fellow outsiders.

9. - Top - End - #9

The ONLY thing that I can think of from reading it is that you spend 10 levels gaining Outsider (Angel, Extraplaner, Good) abilities and then once you hit 10, you are one. It may be just me but it seems that this class should give something else, but I don't know it may just be me not having enough sleep recently.
    You become an Angel. An Angel is a subtype, not a type, and it's Protection Aura is actually fairly powerful. Also, you gain an automatic Smite Evil ability, proficiency with all exotic weapons, replacing your Str bonus with your Charisma bonus to all combat-related stuff, and wings. (Wings are not part of the outsider OR Angel type/subtype)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I thought demons were immune to electricity and devils were immune to fire.

Celestials receive a resistance bonus, but they are not immune like their fellow outsiders.
    Yeah, but I can't see a Sword of Heaven calling a demon or a devil their 'fellow' outsiders.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Yeah, but I can't see a Sword of Heaven calling a demon or a devil their 'fellow' outsiders.
    Whether the Sword of Heaven wants to admit it or not, he is an outsider, and so are demons and devils. They are the same type category. Doesn't mean he has to ally with them.

Edit: Changed "fellow" to "evil"
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-14 at 11:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

So if you had d10 or d12 hd before this, they shrink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    So if you had d10 or d12 hd before this, they shrink?
    Yes. Exactly. Becoming an Outsider means becoming one all the way. It also removes any high saving throws you might have had from combining two good save classes (2 levels of barbarian and 2 levels of fighter = +6 Fort save, but when you get the Outsider type those four levels are recalculated to +4)

In exchange, you get retroactive skill points, the best saving throw progression, and Full BAB. And of course, if your HD was d6 or d4 it grows immediately.

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

I like the class and would use it, but honestly I don't know what class would take this
    Fighters, Barbarians, and Paladins all lose HD down to d8's
    Clerics don't gain spellcasting
    Monk's don't have the weapon profs to qualify
    Not to mention the fact that you'd need a good BAB to qualify as early as possible in the first place...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

15. - Top - End - #15

I think that giving it 8+int skills might be a bit much, and having it be less would make the capstone just that much more appealing. I'm also not sure about the proficiency with improvised weapons, the knowledge of exotics seems fine, but improvised seems to be kind of weird. Like the class though.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    I like the class and would use it, but honestly I don't know what class would take this
    Fighters, Barbarians, and Paladins all lose HD down to d8's
    Clerics don't gain spellcasting
    Monk's don't have the weapon profs to qualify
    Not to mention the fact that you'd need a good BAB to qualify as early as possible in the first place...
    Losing an average of 2-4 HP 5 times, (and actually, you could roll higher if you rolled like a 4-6 with your d10, but ended up with an 8 on the d8) isn't that bad. 10 HP is a small price to pay for not being affected by dominate person, changing your poor Reflex and Will saves to good saves, and growing wings (which paladins, barbarians, and fighters desperately need) gaining DR 10/evil, adding 20 damage to all you damage rolls against evil creatures, gaining immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, a bonus against poison and resistance to fire and electricity.

Not to mention, rangers don't really lose anything, and shooting from the sky is a great advantage to them. Losing Hit Points becomes irrelevant if you can position yourself in the sky and rain arrow down without worrying about taking damage.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-15 at 10:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I think that giving it 8+int skills might be a bit much, and having it be less would make the capstone just that much more appealing. I'm also not sure about the proficiency with improvised weapons, the knowledge of exotics seems fine, but improvised seems to be kind of weird. Like the class though.
    Well, the ranger has Full BAB, d8 hit dice, good Fort and Ref saves, and 6+Int skill points.

The Sword of Heaven is the same, except he has all poor saves, and 8+Int skill points. So I thought it was fair.

18. - Top - End - #18

You become an Angel. An Angel is a subtype, not a type, and it's Protection Aura is actually fairly powerful. Also, you gain an automatic Smite Evil ability, proficiency with all exotic weapons, replacing your Str bonus with your Charisma bonus to all combat-related stuff, and wings. (Wings are not part of the outsider OR Angel type/subtype)
    Now that I have had some sleep it sounds a lot better than it did.
    Last edited by Trodon; 2011-06-15 at 10:44 AM.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

19. - Top - End - #19

Not that I have had some sleep it sounds a lot better than it did.
    Thanks. Maybe you can help me out. Dumbledore lives makes a good point, but I was limiting the saving throws to make the capstone better (and make dipping less advantageous) but the Skill Points are high for a Full BAB class. Do you think cutting them to 6+Int would lessen the class too much? Should I make one of my saves Good?

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

Thing is, why do the hit dice all change to Outsider dice? No other transformative class does it, and the only real precedent is the Undead type, which only changes the HP to d12s, and even then only because you lose your Constitution score.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalsneerg View Post
    Thing is, why do the hit dice all change to Outsider dice? No other transformative class does it, and the only real precedent is the Undead type, which only changes the HP to d12s, and even then only because you lose your Constitution score.
    Well, no other Outsider class makes you extraplanar. The idea of the class is to sacrifice everything about your original self and ascend to the rank of angel. It's basically giving up 15 or so levels to gain 15 Racial HD of Outsider.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Seperate the last line of the requirements out into 3 or 4. Especially that last one, which makes it sound like maybe you MUST buy it with skill-points, rather than simply getting it as one of your bonus languages (humans and closely related races are weird like that).

1 good save sound good to me. Make it Fort, let them chose between fort and will, or maybe even give them both Fort and Will. The transformation at the end will still effect all their other progressions, and that is a big enough carrot in the saves area.

Speaking of which, the capstone should almost certainly effect all FUTURE HD, skill-point and save progressions as well as the previous stuff.

I say keep the skill-points where they are.

Also, the quote at the top doesn't mesh with the rest of fluff. The quote says "The gods are all panzies, I am going to out-do them." the rest of the fluff says "My god(s) are the source of my strength. I will serve them with all of my being, and open myself to them to allow their power to flow into me."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-06-15 at 11:35 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    1 good save sound good to me. Make it Fort, let them chose between fort and will, or maybe even give them both Fort and Will. The transformation at the end will still effect all their other progressions, and that is a big enough carrot in the saves area.

Speaking of which, the capstone should almost certainly effect all FUTURE HD, skill-point and save progressions as well as the previous stuff.

Also, the quote at the top doesn't mesh with the rest of fluff. The quote says "The gods are all panzies, I am going to out-do them." the rest of the fluff says "My god(s) are the source of my strength. I will serve them with all of my being, and open myself to them to allow their power to flow into me."
    I agree that the quote doesn't fit. I was more trying to emulate the idea of humans seeking the power of Heaven, but if anyone has a better quote I'd replace it.

You're right, fixing the capstone to affect all future HD, good catch thanks.

I'll change it to 6 + Int points, and a good Will save.

24. - Top - End - #24

How would one get into this class at level 6? None of the core base classes get Knowledge (The Plains), Knowledge (Religon) And Full BAB.
    Last edited by Trodon; 2011-06-15 at 01:36 PM.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

25. - Top - End - #25

How would one get into this class at level 6? None of the core base classes get Knowledge (The Plains), Knowledge (Religon) And Full BAB.
    You have to take the "Education" feat, and get two Knowledge skills as class skills.

Edit: Or you could be a Duskblade. Full BAB and all Knowledge skills as class skills.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-15 at 03:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

You have to take the "Educated" feat, and get two Knowledge skills as class skills.

Edit: Or you could be a Duskblade. Full BAB and all Knowledge skills as class skills.
    I'm having trouble finding the feat.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

27. - Top - End - #27

28. - Top - End - #28

My Homebrew Signiture.

29. - Top - End - #29

Oh... nice.
    *bows* I'm not a fan of dipping all over the place to qualify for a Prestige Class, but it's hard to become an angel if you don't know anything about them, so Education is like a secret prerequisite feat.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lessened the Prerequisites to BAB +4, so a 3/4 BAB could get in at level 6 with a 1 level dip to get Full BAB and Martial Weapon Proficiency.