New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Infected [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    It's worth mentioning that in the original Monster Manual the authors hadn't thought of type/subtype combinations like Magical Beast (Extraplanar) which are introduced in later supplements. A lot of monsters like you listed got dumped into aberration just because they couldn't think of anywhere else to put them. But the idea behind aberration is definitely supposed to be horrifying Lovecraftian monstrosity.

EDIT: For example, there's no reason that something like the rust monster should be an aberration instead of something that makes more sense like Magical Beast (Augmented Vermin).

An aberration has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three.
    That's the official text given for the Aberration type. It's not exclusive to Lovecraftian horrors, even if the Lovecraftian horrors are almost exclusively Aberrations.

It's the old "All Squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares".

Though for your point it should be about non-Euclidean shapes, no?
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2011-06-28 at 08:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Taaannnkk!

Added the Tank, which I'm a bit unsure about the CR, I lowered it significantly because of the single actions only, but I now think it might be a bit low. I also added the jockey, but it's significantly less exciting, though I'd still appreciate comments.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Some of these have a +8 racial bonus to Climb but don't have a Climb speed. Is this an oversight?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Some of these have a +8 racial bonus to Climb but don't have a Climb speed. Is this an oversight?

Debby
    I don't really know what to give them for a climb speed, so I figured they would just use the climb skill normally. The bonus is not from a climb speed, it's just a racial bonus.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

So far, these are looking really great! Very accurate to their in-game abilities.
    Only suggestion I have would be to add the Awesome Blow feat to the tank.
    It just seems like a key ability of his, and as written, he qualifies for it.
    Certainly would make him a bit more dangerous and keep his feel.
    Just a thought. I can't wait to start a L4D themed campaign now!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I don't really know what to give them for a climb speed, so I figured they would just use the climb skill normally. The bonus is not from a climb speed, it's just a racial bonus.
    Climb speed should be half land speed and it is still a racial bonus. Normally racial bonuses would be +2-to +4.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

7. - Top - End - #37

Yeah, Hunter at least should get a climb speed.

Also, I suggest swapping the Hunter's Strength and Dexterity. They're ridiculously fast, but in actual combat they aren't all that strong. If you've ever played with crappy teammates, you'll know; it takes FOREVER for a hunter to actually kill you if you're anywhere near full health.

Mention in their skills that they use Dexterity for their Climb and Jump.
    Last edited by Kuma Kode; 2011-07-05 at 04:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Yeah, Hunter at least should get a climb speed.

Also, I suggest swapping the Hunter's Strength and Dexterity. They're ridiculously fast, but in actual combat they aren't all that strong. If you've ever played with crappy teammates, you'll know; it takes FOREVER for a hunter to actually kill you if you're anywhere near full health.

Mention in their skills that they use Dexterity for their Climb and Jump.
    Well I gave everyone but the boomer a climb speed. I based most of the stats off of the infected on Expert, and hunters can tear you apart near instantly if left alone. I think they do about 20 damage per hit when you're pounced, which adds up real quick, so I wanted to replicate that by them having good strength to tear apart their foes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] Infected [PEACH]

I love it, in fact I would love to play it. One thing; the names are the same as Left 4 Dead. If you are going for a Left 4 Dead rpg (which you might have said, and I probably missed) then this is awesome. If that is not the case, then maybe think of some new names for the creatures.

Good luck, and keep brewing!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maybe hunters only get additional damage after they have pounced and pinned someone?

11. - Top - End - #41

I've made a few minor changes, and wanted to see if anyone had any more comments.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew