A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Factotum -> Monk (and other underpowered classes) Variants

Hmm...the thing with scout is that it doesn't really have any magic to it. Both it and ranger are Tier 4...so far these have been 5, I'm not sure the T4s really need this sort of thing, really.

You know what would fit (as another martial adept based one, though), and desperately needs some help, is samurai. Maybe I'll play around with that. I'm having fun with these things.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Good one!

In answer to your question though, I wasn't sure myself, really. I went with Int largely because it has the most psionic feel to me (::shrug::), and it gives them a bit more skill emphasis. Still, could easily be changed.
    Naaaah they are definitely Charisma. Besides they certainly don't psionics from an "intellectual" standpoint. They do it from "I'M SO COOL, I CAN MAKE A WEAPON WITH MY MIND!?!?!?!" standpoint. And really, that's all they care about.

So definitely Charisma
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-06-26 at 12:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    Naaaah they are definitely Charisma. Besides they certainly don't psionics from an "intellectual" standpoint. They do it from "I'M SO COOL, I CAN MAKE A WEAPON WITH MY MIND!?!?!?!" standpoint. And really, that's all they care about.

So definitely Charisma
    LOL, fair enough. Will change.

And, eh, one more for the road I guess. Or something like that:

Samurai
    HD: d10
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (History, Nobility and Royalty), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Skill Points: 4 + Int per level

The Samurai
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Honor, Honorable Combatant, Bushido Blessing, Daisho

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Martial Dilettante (1 Maneuver, 1st)

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Awakened Ki, Honorable Defense

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Martial Dilettante (2 Maneuvers), Honorable Strike

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Martial Dilettante (2nd), Staredown

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |-

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Martial Dilettante (3 Maneuvers)

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Martial Dilettante (3rd), Honorable Surge

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Martial Dilettante (4 Maneuvers)

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Martial Dilettante (4th), Staredown (Frightened)

11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Honorable Guard

12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Martial Dilettante (5 Maneuvers)

13th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Martial Dilettante (5th), Honor Unfailing

14th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Martial Dilettante (6 Maneuvers)

15th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Martial Dilettante (6th), Staredown (Panicked)

16th|
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Improved Honorable Defense

17th|
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Martial Dilettante (7 Maneuvers)

18th|
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Martial Dilettante (7th),

19th|
    +19/+14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Ancestral Guidance

20th|
    +20/+15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Martial Dilettante (8 Maneuvers)[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A samurai is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Spoiler
    Show
    Most warrior-like chassis yet. Also, samurai skills really needed help. You know this already.

Honor: The samurai draws strength from its code. Whether the classical code of bushido, a more pragmatic warrior's code, paladin-like vows, or even just strong and sincere personal beliefs, the samurai adheres to moral standards and from them draws strength. This spiritual strength is represented by honor points. At the start of each encounter, the samurai gains honor points as indicated on the table below. The samurai spends honor points to power many of its abilities.

For maximum customization, this class does not specify a code that the samurai must follow. However, players are encouraged to work with their DMs to determine a suitable code for their character. At DM discretion, performing acts that exemplify the samurai's code refresh one honor point. If this option is used, however, performing acts that go against the samurai's code deduct one honor point from the samurai's current total.

{table=head]Level|honor points

|
    |

2-4
    |
    |

5-7
    |
    |

8-9
    |
    |

10-12
    |
    |

13-14
    |
    |

15-7
    |
    |

18-19
    |
    |

|
    |[/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    My personal preference is to keep the fluff and mechanics as distinct as possible, so good ol' bushido gets the broad strokes for this class.

Honorable Combatant (Ex): The samurai faces its foes openly and without fear, challenging them with blows made mightier by dedication to its code. When faced with hostile magic, it stands strong, defying even mighty spells. Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, the samurai may spend 1 honor point. The samurai gains a competence bonus on the roll equal to the samurai's Charisma modifier. Using this ability does not require an action, and a samurai can use it as often as the samurai wishes during the samurai's or other's turns - provided the samurai has honor points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    The samurai is definitely on the warrior end, but with a solid warrior's chassis and good proficiencies, I'm thinking this class can focus more on physical attributes, using its Cha as a secondary stat to strengthen it, rather than relying on it.

Bushido Blessing (Ex): The samurai acts always in accord with its code - its words ring true, and it denies any tricks of guile, stealth, or magic that would trick, deceive, or coerce it into breaking its code. Whenever the samurai makes a skill check using a Wisdom or Charisma based skill, or a saving throw against a mind-affecting spell, it may spend an honor point to add its class level to the check or save as a morale bonus. This may be done multiple times with the same skill or save, and does not require the samurai to have the skill trained, or for it to be a class skill. Note that the save bonus can stack with that provided by Honorable Combatant, if the samurai wishes to spend two IP against the same spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Playing around with this one for a change. It might cover somewhat more skills than the other variants in the general course, but is rather more restricted. And yes, when you try to force a samurai to do something against its code, you can expect to fail miserably.

Daisho: All samurai have a signature weapon, often passed down generation to generation. Samurai receive Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably the weakest of the first-level bonus feats, but it fits. Helps make up some for the superior chassis, too.

Martial Dilettante (Ex): At 2nd level, the samurai learns how to perform advanced martial maneuvers. For the purposes of this ability, the samurai is considered to know all martial maneuvers from the Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, and White Raven disciplines (it does not actually know these maneuvers for the purposes of a normal maneuver progression).

At the start of each day, the samurai may choose a number of maneuvers from the above disciplines to ready. It can choose one maneuver at 2nd level, and the samurai gains additional readied maneuvers as shown on the main progression table. The maximum level of maneuver it can use, according to its class level, is also shown on the table. It can select any maneuver from its available disciplines up to that level. Its initiator level for maneuvers gained from this class equals its level in this character class. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against its maneuvers is 10 + the maneuver's level + its Cha modifier, although it may use Str instead if the maneuver specifies it. Like other martial adepts, the samurai can exchange its readied maneuvers with five minutes of drilling. This also refreshes its maneuvers, if they weren't already.

The samurai must ready stances before it can enter them, unlike other martial adepts. It is still limited to entering one stance at a time.

The samurai must spend a honor point to initiate a maneuver or to change a stance. It may use each maneuver once per encounter. It may also recover one maneuver as a swift action by spending an honor point. It may not do so in any round that it uses a maneuver.

The samurai cannot use the Adaptive Style feat in conjunction with maneuvers gained from this ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    The samurai isn't doing the Opportunistic Recovery thing, so even with a (halfway decent) recovery mechanic, it's way less adaptable than the swashbuckler. Better discipline access though, and still more adaptable than a typical martial adept, which I think is just going to be a side effect of the factotum baseline.

Awakened Ki (Ex): Although samurai do not train their Ki to the same degree as a monk might, it is still aware of the basics of using it. At 3rd level, the samurai adds its Charisma bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength and Dexterity, as well as on all checks (including opposed attack rolls) for combat maneuvers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was debating on switching this around, but I seem to recall hearing that jujutsu was a historically common samurai skill, I like the notion of samurai having some monk-like acrobatic skills, and you know, initiative bonus = iaijutsu. Between this, presumably good physical scores, a full BAB, and Setting Sun access, samurai are actually quite likely to be the go-to masters of combat maneuvers.

Honorable Defense (Ex): A samurai can withstand even mighty blows. Starting at third level, the samurai can spend an honor point to gain DR/- equal to its Charisma modifier + (its level or armor bonus, whichever is lower) for one round.

Spoiler
    Show
    With heavy armor, an AC bonus isn't strictly necessary. This will give some incentive for armor, and the dual sources should help with the notion that these guys can use Cha as a secondary stat.

Honorable Strike (Ex): Drawing upon its honorable spirit, the samurai initiates a complex maneuver without sacrificing its form in the slightest. At fourth level, whenever the samurai uses a martial strike maneuver that uses a standard action and allows a single attack, it may spend one additional honor point as a swift action when doing so. If it does, the strike is not considered expended. Additionally, the samurai may do this if its weapon is sheathed and instantly draw the weapon as part of the attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Iaijutsu in a bow. This isn't as powerful as some of the others in that it doesn't actually increase the samurai's damage in and of itself, but it lets you spam strikes pretty well, which is nice.

Staredown (Ex): The samurai needs not boast of its deeds; a single look reveals its strength, its honor, and its implacable determination. Starting at fifth level, as a move action, the samurai can spend an honor point to force all opponents within 30' to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha modifier) or become Shaken for one round per samurai level. This ability can only affect a given target once per encounter, whether or not its save succeeds. The samurai can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Charisma modifier.

At 10th level, those who fail their saves become Frightened instead. At 15th level they become Panicked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I know, I broke my "keep the pointless MAD uses" rule. This class already gets a bit more MAD, and Cha's really the only one that makes sense. In any event, Staredown was pretty much the only CW samurai ability that wasn't a complete waste, so it needs to be here in some form or another, I think (ideally, of course, a much improved form).

Honorable Surge (Ex): When its life, its charges, it lord, or its ideals are on the line, the samurai is an implacable foe, attacking with tremendous fury. Starting at eighth level, the samurai may, by spending 3 honor points, take an extra standard action during its turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    So really, it you want to go ahead and burn 7 honor points a round, you can be spamming the same strike twice per round. It's actually not a bad nova for a melee class, but it'll wear you out fast, especially without some Font feats.

Honorable Guard (Su): A samurai is often called upon to protect its friends, its people, or its lord. Starting at eleventh level, whenever an enemy the samurai threatens attacks one of its allies (but not the samurai itself), the samurai may spend 2 honor points to make an immediate Honorable Strike against that opponent. If it has no appropriate strikes prepared, it may instead make a normal attack. This does not cost attacks of opportunity, but can benefit from any abilities the samurai has that improves them. The samurai cannot make attacks of opportunity in response to an attack that triggers this ability, even if it has a capability that would allow it to do so. This attack is resolved before the opponent's attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Those keeping score at home might realize that this is where the Cunning Breach clone should be. Well...although I think a DR beater would fit a samurai fine, they can already mountain hammer if they want and frankly the repetitive Cunning Breach variants were getting boring. So instead, a pretty solid guardian ability. Easily a more powerful and versatile effect than Cunning Breach, but Cunning Breach was something of a weaker one anyway, especially without the SR penetration.

Honor Unfailing (Ex): A samurai does not go down until it has fulfilled its duty. Starting at thirteenth level, if the samurai sustains any effect that would reduce it below 0 hit points, render it helpless, render it unable to make physical attacks, cause it to lose control of its own actions, or cause it to be unable to take standard actions, the samurai may spend 3 honor points as an immediate action to ignore the effect entirely. There is no limit to the number of times per day the samurai can use this ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    An unashamedly massive buff to an already great ability, with reduced cost, relaxed limitations, and more utility. The Cunning Dodge template screams samurai, and I wanted the samurai version to be strictly better. At 3 honor points per use, it's still a stiff cost, and the immediate action still means it only works once a round, but it gives the samurai the whole undying tank aspect that, I think, they deserve.

Improved Honorable Defense (Ex): A high-level samurai can wade into even the fiercest fray without fear, protected by both its physical armor and its honorable spirit. The samurai gains the benefits of Honorable Defense constantly, with no cost in honor points.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, this class is becoming quite the tank. I tend to figure that the DR is too low across the board, but even so this may be a bit high. For sixteenth level, though, it might work. I hope.

Ancestral Guidance (Ex) A nineteenth level samurai has earned the respect and aid of its greatest ancestors, sharing some of their skills. At the start of each day, the samurai may choose a single extraordinary class feature. This ability must be available to a standard character at 15th level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. The samurai may use this ability for the entire day, but it deducts 4 from its pool of honor points gained at each encounter. The samurai uses the ability as if it was the level in the relevant class equal to its level in the samurai class.

Spoiler
    Show
    I do try to keep these abilities somewhat close along a similar theme to the factotum, but after four of these classes, direct copies really are somewhat disappointing. This one is trading the versatility of multiple abilities for the consistency of having it all day, which I believe is reasonable. It's probably a bit higher on the raw power side than the default, but not by so much that the reduced versatility can't balance it.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Woah, the Samurai looks pretty cool! Though I imagine allot more odachi's then katana wielders with this class... Still though, It give the variety that samurai should have, rather then just the iconic katana wielders.
    any chance for the Samurai having Iaijutsu as a class skill?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest, I'm more in the "leave iaijutsu focus in 3.0" camp. It just seems like an odd fit for a skill to me (and I don't have my OA book any more anyway, and I don't really remember the rules well enough to properly analyze its balance implications). That being said, it would be a perfectly viable addition were the class to be used in a group that employs the skill, but in the general sense, I think I'll leave it by the wayside.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide