New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Interactive online gridmap?

I was wondering if theres a site somewhere that at least has an interactive grid map, for online groups and game. All players could view the map live as its changed and stuff, everyone can actually know whats going on when you RP. Just like in tabletop..
    Really, even just a simple map like this would do. but any expanded/upgraded version of that would do even better.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Interactive online gridmap?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    I was wondering if theres a site somewhere that at least has an interactive grid map, for online groups and game. All players could view the map live as its changed and stuff, everyone can actually know whats going on when you RP. Just like in tabletop..
    Really, even just a simple map like this would do. but any expanded/upgraded version of that would do even better.
    Google wave has some add-ons to that effect (I cannot remember the name). You can import images and then everyone can move them as you play via text. I DMed a short game on google wave for a few months in that manner. I would suggest trying it, it requires no software download to your computer and you can access it from any computer.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You can do something similar to this by modifying an online spreadsheet (make the cells square, change a cell's color for different characters/terrain types, etc.). You and anyone with a link could then update it in real-time. An example of such a spreadsheet program would be EditGrid.

I'm sure there are actual programs made just for this, but the spreadsheet thing is very basic and only requires a link for everyone.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-06-27 at 04:45 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

You mean like Virtual Tabletop Software? Like MapTool, Fantasy Grounds, or OpenRPG? Also there's one that Wizards has for 4e that's in beta testing or something at this point, but I don't think they'd stop you from using it for other games.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."