Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 134
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    You'd be surprised. I'm already working on it.
    But how would being descended from such a person make a difference? Ever? Unless...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, England

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    But how would being descended from such a person make a difference? Ever? Unless...
    This is Welknair we're talking about. He'll find a way to make it a bloodline. It's what he does.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    This is Welknair we're talking about. He'll find a way to make it a bloodline. It's what he does.
    I seem to have acquired a reputation.


    I wish I had found this system earlier. It would be perfect for a PrC I've had rolling around in my head for a while. One that manipulates bloodlines.


    Finished Bloodline can be found here.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-13 at 05:20 PM.
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Quarian Rex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Thumbs up Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    I must say that this is one of the most impressive homebrew offerings I have ever seen. Kudos.

    I do have a couple observations/suggestions though. First, if a Xenoalchemist can only implant a single Level 5 graft in any given individual then you must spell this out in the Xenoalchemy section, instead of vaguely referring to it in the Supersoldier capstone ability (the only place I could find a reference to the limitation).

    The second suggestion has to do with the Supersoldier ability Narrow Focus. The current ability has the Supersoldier inexplicably losing the ability to attach Grafts to anyone but himself. I understand the intent (increased Graft power/access without being able to share it) but I think this might be the wrong way to go about it. How about something like this?

    Narrow Focus (Ex): You have given up exploring general grafting in favour of altering your own body for battle. Bonuses to your Xenoalchemy level (for the benefits of grafts as well as the level of graft you can achieve) from taking levels in Supersoldier do not stack with Xenoalchemy levels from other grafting classes for any targets other than yourself. The Postop Procedure ability is restricted by these same limits.

    eg. A Xenoalchemist 7/Supersoldier 5 would be able to attach up to level 4 Grafts (with a Xenoalchemist level of 13) to himself, but when Grafting anyone else could only attach up to a level 2 Graft (with a Xenoalchemist level of 7).

    This would maintain the self-focus of the Supersoldier while removing the problems of explaining why the Mad Scientist suddenly lost the ability to operate on anyone but himself. This would also nullify any metagame silliness of trying to graft an army prior to entering Supersoldier and that sort of thing.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    I must say that this is one of the most impressive homebrew offerings I have ever seen. Kudos.

    I do have a couple observations/suggestions though. First, if a Xenoalchemist can only implant a single Level 5 graft in any given individual then you must spell this out in the Xenoalchemy section, instead of vaguely referring to it in the Supersoldier capstone ability (the only place I could find a reference to the limitation).

    The second suggestion has to do with the Supersoldier ability Narrow Focus. The current ability has the Supersoldier inexplicably losing the ability to attach Grafts to anyone but himself. I understand the intent (increased Graft power/access without being able to share it) but I think this might be the wrong way to go about it. How about something like this?

    Narrow Focus (Ex): You have given up exploring general grafting in favour of altering your own body for battle. Bonuses to your Xenoalchemy level (for the benefits of grafts as well as the level of graft you can achieve) from taking levels in Supersoldier do not stack with Xenoalchemy levels from other grafting classes for any targets other than yourself. The Postop Procedure ability is restricted by these same limits.

    eg. A Xenoalchemist 7/Supersoldier 5 would be able to attach up to level 4 Grafts (with a Xenoalchemist level of 13) to himself, but when Grafting anyone else could only attach up to a level 2 Graft (with a Xenoalchemist level of 7).

    This would maintain the self-focus of the Supersoldier while removing the problems of explaining why the Mad Scientist suddenly lost the ability to operate on anyone but himself. This would also nullify any metagame silliness of trying to graft an army prior to entering Supersoldier and that sort of thing.
    Wow, good call on the 5th level grafts. I just checked my old versions, and it seems the relevant sentence was cut out at some point in editing. I'll make sure to call it out in the ability proper.

    As for the ability, that's a pretty good idea. I'll reword it so it's a little more generous.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Quarian Rex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Wow, good call on the 5th level grafts. I just checked my old versions, and it seems the relevant sentence was cut out at some point in editing. I'll make sure to call it out in the ability proper.

    As for the ability, that's a pretty good idea. I'll reword it so it's a little more generous.
    Cool. Glad I could help polish the shiny pile of Awesome you have created.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Quarian Rex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    I noticed a spot that needs some clarification...

    Metabolic Reserve
    Level: 1
    Body Slot: Body (Su)
    Monster Requirement: Must have a way of dealing energy damage with an Ex special ability
    Example Monsters: Ankheg, arrowhawk

    Bolding is mine. The requirement does not seem to jive with the ability or the examples. The Graft produces a (Su) effect and has an Arrowhawk as an example [whose Electricity Ray is a (Su) ability] but limits the Monster requirement to (Ex) abilities. Me thinks it might be a typo.

    Perhaps change it to something like, "Must have a way of dealing energy damage with a non-Breath Weapon (Ex) or (Su) special ability".

    My DM pointed this out to me when I was looking for things to harvest. With the ability as-is I'm pretty much limited to Ankhegs and Electric Eels as source material.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quite reasonable. The main thing was to stop breath weapons from qualifying, but I suppose a simple exception would be easier for players.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Justin Time's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    I must say that this is one of the most impressive homebrew offerings I have ever seen. Kudos.
    I second that. There are a lot of interesting ideas here. Someone in a game I just started playing with is using that class and I'm excited to see what we'll do with it.

    Wish I had some suggestions, but this looks too good already.

    I think I'll just put a nice little bookmark on this page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That merely means he'll get advantage on the check, so it doesn't allow him to do anything that a group of random murderhobos can't.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Ok, im moving the project that was born at the prc contest chat thread here for a while, if you don't care just not to bother everyone over there or fill you with pm's, and also to have some answers from the xenoalchemists group

    Well, so, I think I would need some recomendations from you, I really loved this project just as the truenaming one, and congratulations!

    Ok, so, first are the classes, I'll do 4 prc's: one based on constructs, another on aberrations and oozes, another on outsiders (good and evil) and another for plants and vermin.

    Basically each of them would open the xenoalchemist to new selections of grafts, each one based on a monster, and that opens up the first question:

    What about grafts?
    I mean, I'll search for every monster I can find and make a graft for each, the problem is rating them according to your 1-6 level of grafts. I'm planning on helping myself by the cr, so... I'll just ask... How have you organized the levels? I mean, for example, does a 1-4 cr equals a 1 level graft for you?

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    That's a really good question about graft organization. Here's the way that I originally divided up the grafts and determined where they would be placed.

    • First Level: These grafts are supposed to be basic replacements for tools and equipment that most people would be able to buy. Fairly mundane and on par with most nonmagical options. I think the wildest I got was metabolic reserve, and even that is basically on par with alchemist's fire at low levels. While these grafts can be situationally handy, they shouldn't be worth much more than a masterwork item, armour or a weapon, and so on.
    • Second Level: Good utility abilities or specialized combat abilities. Things that make you say "I'm glad I have that" but nothing incredible. Combat abilities should not come up every combat and utility powers should not be useful all the time. No save-or-suck.
    • Third Level: Higher quality utility powers that interact with the world. Give some straight up new capabilities. Same caliber combat powers but more useful in general. Okay if they come up in every combat or if they're good against a multitude of different enemies. Limited save-or-suck.
    • Fourth Level: Deeply helpful utility powers that grant entirely new abilities or change the way your character can be played. Combat abilities are exceptionally good, but specialized. Great in some situations, not that useful in others. Save-or-sucks are fair game, and limited save-or-die.
    • Fifth Level: Character-defining abilities. The character should be recognizable based solely on the graft. Limit of a single fifth level graft. Incredible passive ability that is useful all the time or combat powers that completely change the way the character works.


    As for the rest of it, if you have any questions about the system feel free to ask. For prestige classes based on particular monster types, you might find it easiest to just make a 'specialist' prestige class that can be molded to any of the types you mentioned, with different class features depending on your particular type specialization. This is easy to do since the class already has a chance to pick minor specializations against types. Requiring, for example, the an inside job class feature instead of the deconstructionism class feature already makes a character more focused on outsiders than constructs.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Ok, that was really interesting, and I'll have in mind the idea you suggested...
    But maybe I'll go with the grafts first, seems kind of a big project, so I better forget about the prc entry
    But let's do it, I'm currently working at another projects, so this will take some time, specially If Im going to make a graft for each monster, and I'll think of adding a magical beast, or undead prc too
    Allright I think i'll may be aiming to high, but well, what can I say

    The problem with the grafts will be leveling, and some creatures are kinda weird for them, for example, I can make easily an epic hecatoncheires graft, because it's kinda obvious, but it would be much harder to make a... Say.... Flumph one ?

    And this is one of my first homebrew projects, the other being a lovercraftian one (making a prc for each of the great old ones and outer gods) and one to "revive" the ideas laying down in the depths of the forums (with author's permission, of course)

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Honestly, if you want my advice I'd suggest getting some practice homebrewing things that interest you first. There are a lot of things to learn about class-building and ability writing, and it's a terrible idea to start with a system that's not even part of the core mechanics. While I'm glad that you like my system, I think you'd have a much easier time getting into homebrewing if you started with material of your own.

    I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mootoall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    A note on the Supersoldier PrC:

    It doesn't work. It just doesn't. I love the idea, and I think it's something that should, but the way you have it written does not function properly. Giving it crap skill points and only the knowledge skills for two creature types makes it completely non-functional, especially at higher levels. For ten whole levels, in order to be effective at his job, you're buying cross-classed knowledge skills with 2+Int skills per level. That is completely insufficient. Either give them all of the knowledge skills they had as Xenoalchemists and keep their reduced skill points, increase their skill points to 4+Int points per level, or, ideally, do both. Otherwise there are a huge category of creature that the Supersoldier can't do jack squat with.
    Avatar by zimmerwald1915

    Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Current characters: None, looking for a game.


    Homebrew!


    Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    A note on the Supersoldier PrC:

    It doesn't work. It just doesn't. I love the idea, and I think it's something that should, but the way you have it written does not function properly. Giving it crap skill points and only the knowledge skills for two creature types makes it completely non-functional, especially at higher levels. For ten whole levels, in order to be effective at his job, you're buying cross-classed knowledge skills with 2+Int skills per level. That is completely insufficient. Either give them all of the knowledge skills they had as Xenoalchemists and keep their reduced skill points, increase their skill points to 4+Int points per level, or, ideally, do both. Otherwise there are a huge category of creature that the Supersoldier can't do jack squat with.
    Thank you for the heads-up. Class skills are one of those things that have a tendency to slip through the cracks since a lot of it is c/p, and it's not what I usually think about for revisions. With this project in particular I should have been paying more attention to make sure that all of the classes would have the Knowledge skills needed for dissection. I apologize for the mistake.

    They'll get the additional Knowledge skills, as well as a small boost in skill points to 4 + Int. The supersoldier is kind of a weird case where it works very differently from both the base class and any of the other prestige classes, because it's not a team player anymore. It's all about personal enhancement, which is presumably why I had originally gone with a less 'skill' focused chassis. But with the mechanics of the system, it really does need to have those extra skill points, especially since it has more of a need for combat abilities than other xenoalchemists, and can't invest in Intelligence to the same degree.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mootoall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Thank you for the heads-up. Class skills are one of those things that have a tendency to slip through the cracks since a lot of it is c/p, and it's not what I usually think about for revisions. With this project in particular I should have been paying more attention to make sure that all of the classes would have the Knowledge skills needed for dissection. I apologize for the mistake.

    They'll get the additional Knowledge skills, as well as a small boost in skill points to 4 + Int. The supersoldier is kind of a weird case where it works very differently from both the base class and any of the other prestige classes, because it's not a team player anymore. It's all about personal enhancement, which is presumably why I had originally gone with a less 'skill' focused chassis. But with the mechanics of the system, it really does need to have those extra skill points, especially since it has more of a need for combat abilities than other xenoalchemists, and can't invest in Intelligence to the same degree.
    No problem, I really loved the idea (had a backstory for a "mommy and daddy wanted me to be a doctor, but I always loved the stories of those adventurers, so now I'm going to use my skills to fight evil!"), and I was psyched to make the character. Then, when I realized it didn't work, I got very :smallsad:.

    And then I realized that I never congratulated you on your awesome job! I just took it for granted that you knew I loved every bit of this project, and how you made a bunch of theurges for ... well, pretty much everything! And you did at least mitigate one of the problems with the tri-stat dependency of the Supersoldier by giving it built-in stat boosts. Also, I like how the base class is pretty much solely dependent on Int and Con, two stats that it wants for skills, DCs, graft number and graft obtaining.

    So congratulations on making a new, cool system that I hope to see played very soon!
    Avatar by zimmerwald1915

    Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Current characters: None, looking for a game.


    Homebrew!


    Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doorhandle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Loving this class. Always had a soft spot for mad scientists of all flavors, finding new uses for monster corpses is always a fun activity, and best of all while pathfinder already has the alchemist class, this looks like it would still be pathfinder-compatible.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mootoall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Oh, and another little concern- as it reads, the Surgical Precision attack only works on the attack immediately after you make the knowledge check to identify them. Since Knowledge checks are a "Try again: no" skill, is this meant to mean *all* subsequent attacks on that enemy get this bonus, that you only get the bonus once, or that you can keep making knowledge checks about it? Currently it reads like the second one.
    Avatar by zimmerwald1915

    Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Current characters: None, looking for a game.


    Homebrew!


    Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    Oh, and another little concern- as it reads, the Surgical Precision attack only works on the attack immediately after you make the knowledge check to identify them. Since Knowledge checks are a "Try again: no" skill, is this meant to mean *all* subsequent attacks on that enemy get this bonus, that you only get the bonus once, or that you can keep making knowledge checks about it? Currently it reads like the second one.
    It is in fact the second interpretation.

    The surgical precision Knowledge check is a special kind of check which doesn't relay the information that you would normally glean with an actual Knowledge check about the creature. It doesn't follow the normal rules for a traditional knowledge check (for example, you make it as a swift action), and instead references the harvest material class feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    If the Knowledge check is successful, the DM shall describe to you the pieces available for harvest. In general, this consists of informing you about supernatural and extraordinary abilities, breath weapons, natural weapons, movement modes, and so on.
    Obviously this is a different activation and effect than a normal Knowledge check, in much the same way that Diamond Mind maneuvers that require Concentration skill checks don't use the same rules as a normal Concentration check. It's a special use of the skill, and while it doesn't explicitly mention that you can try again on them (or even use it multiple times against the same monster) I can't really see anyone being confused about the intent of it. If I was saying that the ability would give the same information as a normal Knowledge check then I would be referencing the original use, but this is a different kind of use for the skill.

    EDIT: Glad you liked it, Doorhandle! I'm not the biggest fan of Pathfinder, but feel free to adapt it or use it however you like!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-08-19 at 11:04 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Nemesis67's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Kellus, this is absolutely magnificent.

    I've actually been planning on making a system of Fleshworking, which would have been healing, and making monsters, and plagues, for my personal setting. And you kinda did it here.

    Thank you for this. This system just makes me smile.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doorhandle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    I've decided to make this an archetype for the discerning pathfinder alchemist who wishes to dabble in surgery.

    Xenoalchemist archetype
    You have decided that being humanoid just isnít enough, and have vowed to improve man (or dwarf, or elf, or ect.)kind not only through chemistry, but through surgery.

    You gain the following class features.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Harvest Material (Ex): As a trained xenoalchemist you can quickly identify, catalogue and remove for future use the pieces of monsters which make them so dangerous. Harvesting remains requires two minutes of work with a helpless creature or recently dead (within one hour) corpse. It requires two skill checks.

    First, you must make a Knowledge check relating to the monster's type. The relevant Knowledge skill required is described under the uses of Knowledge, but since that's kind of obscure I'll just list them here for you. It's worth noting that if you don't know what type the monster was you can simply attempt a broad Knowledge check and the DM will choose the appropriate skill for you.
    Knowledge Skill
    Monster Types

    Knowledge (arcana) Constructs, dragons, magical beasts
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) Aberrations, oozes
    Knowledge (local) Humanoids
    Knowledge (nature) Animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, vermin
    Knowledge (religion) Undead
    Knowledge (the Planes) Outsiders, elementals


    The DC for the Knowledge check is equal to 10 + the monster's HD. You can always attempt these checks, even untrained thanks to your broad training in general monstrous physiology.

    If the Knowledge check is successful, the DM shall describe to you the pieces available for harvest. In general, this consists of informing you about supernatural and extraordinary abilities, breath weapons, natural weapons, movement modes, and so on. This might seem a little vague, but you can always request particular information about an aspect of the monster. If there is a piece of the monster you wish to harvest for one of your grafts, you can move on to the second skill check. You can only harvest material if it's appropriate for a graft you currently have access to.

    Once you decide which piece of the monster you want (each graft has a particular requirement in the original monster and you can harvest one graft's worth of material from any given monster) you make a Heal check at the same DC. If successful you manage to procure the material needed for the chosen graft. The material is usable for about three days. If it's not used before then it begins to go rancid and becomes unusable unless you store it in a freezing environment (time spent in such a state effectively pauses the time limit). If you are a vivisectionist, you may use Knowledge: nature instead of a heal check, as normal.

    If the Heal check is unsuccessful you cannot try again to harvest that material from the monster, but you can attempt additional pieces that you find useful. If you successfully harvest one, however, the rest of the monster becomes contaminated and unusable.

    You can store as many of these monster pieces as you want, but the DM should decide on their weight and the space required to store them based on the monster they came from.

    This ability replaces the Alchemistís normal feat at first level.

    Xenoalchemy (Ex): Here's what you showed up for. As a xenoalchemist you know how to chop things up and stick them onto other things. Once you've harvested a piece of a monster as described above, you can attach it to a living being. The target must either be willing or helpless for the duration of the procedure in order to perform the graft. The procedure requires 1d3 hours + 1/2 hour per graft level. You can attach a graft to yourself, but you must make a DC 20 Concentration check to endure operating on your own body. If you fail this skill check the time for the operation is wasted but your monstrous material is not.

    You only have access to level 1 grafts at 1st level, but at 5th level and every four levels thereafter you gain access to an additional level of grafts. Grafts have body slots, but they do not stop someone from wearing a magic item in the same slot. You cannot, however, have two grafts in the same body slot. Furthermore, a creature can only have at any one time a number of grafts equal to 1 + their Constitution modifier (minimum 1). If a creature's Constitution is reduced so that they can no longer hold their current grafts the grafts are rejected, starting with the most recently acquired. Rejected grafts are destroyed, and all benefits they confer are lost. A creature can only have a single 5th level graft at a time.

    Every time you make a graft, you sacrifice an extract slot equal to the level of the graft created. You do not regain this slot until the graft is lost, or you reclaim the graft. You may use a slot of a higher level than the graft you are placing. A sixth-level extract slot counts as 2 lv-5 slots for the purpose of grafts.

    A xenoalchemist can remove a graft at a later point, either to replace it with a mundane body part (treated as a level 0 graft) or to make way for a different graft. This may or may not impose a penalty (see the Graft Rejection section below for more information on empty body slots).

    Performing xenoalchemy requires access to basic medical equipment (which might include things like bandages, knives, electroshock therapy, and so on at the player's discretion). If you would also like to make a loud ka-chunk sound effect as you perform the operation you may do so as you see fit..

    This ability replaces the alchemistís Poision use, swift poisoning and poison immunity.

    Xenoalchemist-only discoveries:

    Postop Procedure (Ex): The initial operation is only the beginning. A graft's effects are often based on the level of the xenoalchemist. Since a xenoalchemist might increase in level after the procedure has been performed, it's nice to have the graft increase in power along with the surgeon's skills. As a ten minute procedure you can touch up a graft so that the xenoalchemist level of the graft is adjusted to your current xenoalchemy level.

    Advanced Cryogenics (Ex): You have devised a special technique which preserves body parts indefinitely. Your monster parts no longer go bad after three days, and instead can be kept around as long as you please. You must be at least 12th level to take this discovery.

    Conjoined Grafts (Ex): You have mastered the art of fusing two disparate grafts together. You can now attach up to two grafts to the same body slot. You must be at least 16th level to take this discovery.


    Basically, it is as a normal alchemist only now you can make/place grafts at the cost of extract slots, and you lose the feat you get at first level, as well as Poison use, swift poisoning and poison immunity.

    Also, you now get Conjoined grafts, Advanced cryogenics, and Post-Stop Procedure as discoveries.

    Not sure on balance but I THINK it's okay.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2011-08-21 at 06:21 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    I've decided to make this an archetype for the discerning pathfinder alchemist who wishes to dabble in surgery.

    Xenoalchemist archetype
    You have decided that being humanoid just isnít enough, and have vowed to improve man (or dwarf, or elf, or ect.)kind not only through chemistry, but through surgery.

    You gain the following class features.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Harvest Material (Ex): As a trained xenoalchemist you can quickly identify, catalogue and remove for future use the pieces of monsters which make them so dangerous. Harvesting remains requires two minutes of work with a helpless creature or recently dead (within one hour) corpse. It requires two skill checks.

    First, you must make a Knowledge check relating to the monster's type. The relevant Knowledge skill required is described under the uses of Knowledge, but since that's kind of obscure I'll just list them here for you. It's worth noting that if you don't know what type the monster was you can simply attempt a broad Knowledge check and the DM will choose the appropriate skill for you.
    Knowledge Skill
    Monster Types

    Knowledge (arcana) Constructs, dragons, magical beasts
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) Aberrations, oozes
    Knowledge (local) Humanoids
    Knowledge (nature) Animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, vermin
    Knowledge (religion) Undead
    Knowledge (the Planes) Outsiders, elementals


    The DC for the Knowledge check is equal to 10 + the monster's HD. You can always attempt these checks, even untrained thanks to your broad training in general monstrous physiology.

    If the Knowledge check is successful, the DM shall describe to you the pieces available for harvest. In general, this consists of informing you about supernatural and extraordinary abilities, breath weapons, natural weapons, movement modes, and so on. This might seem a little vague, but you can always request particular information about an aspect of the monster. If there is a piece of the monster you wish to harvest for one of your grafts, you can move on to the second skill check. You can only harvest material if it's appropriate for a graft you currently have access to.

    Once you decide which piece of the monster you want (each graft has a particular requirement in the original monster and you can harvest one graft's worth of material from any given monster) you make a Heal check at the same DC. If successful you manage to procure the material needed for the chosen graft. The material is usable for about three days. If it's not used before then it begins to go rancid and becomes unusable unless you store it in a freezing environment (time spent in such a state effectively pauses the time limit). If you are a vivisectionist, you may use Knowledge: nature instead of a heal check, as normal.

    If the Heal check is unsuccessful you cannot try again to harvest that material from the monster, but you can attempt additional pieces that you find useful. If you successfully harvest one, however, the rest of the monster becomes contaminated and unusable.

    You can store as many of these monster pieces as you want, but the DM should decide on their weight and the space required to store them based on the monster they came from.

    This ability replaces the Alchemistís normal feat at first level.

    Xenoalchemy (Ex): Here's what you showed up for. As a xenoalchemist you know how to chop things up and stick them onto other things. Once you've harvested a piece of a monster as described above, you can attach it to a living being. The target must either be willing or helpless for the duration of the procedure in order to perform the graft. The procedure requires 1d3 hours + 1/2 hour per graft level. You can attach a graft to yourself, but you must make a DC 20 Concentration check to endure operating on your own body. If you fail this skill check the time for the operation is wasted but your monstrous material is not.

    You only have access to level 1 grafts at 1st level, but at 5th level and every four levels thereafter you gain access to an additional level of grafts. Grafts have body slots, but they do not stop someone from wearing a magic item in the same slot. You cannot, however, have two grafts in the same body slot. Furthermore, a creature can only have at any one time a number of grafts equal to 1 + their Constitution modifier (minimum 1). If a creature's Constitution is reduced so that they can no longer hold their current grafts the grafts are rejected, starting with the most recently acquired. Rejected grafts are destroyed, and all benefits they confer are lost. A creature can only have a single 5th level graft at a time.

    Every time you make a graft, you sacrifice an extract slot equal to the level of the graft created. You do not regain this slot until the graft is lost, or you reclaim the graft. You may use a slot of a higher level than the graft you are placing. A sixth-level extract slot counts as 2 lv-5 slots for the purpose of grafts.

    A xenoalchemist can remove a graft at a later point, either to replace it with a mundane body part (treated as a level 0 graft) or to make way for a different graft. This may or may not impose a penalty (see the Graft Rejection section below for more information on empty body slots).

    Performing xenoalchemy requires access to basic medical equipment (which might include things like bandages, knives, electroshock therapy, and so on at the player's discretion). If you would also like to make a loud ka-chunk sound effect as you perform the operation you may do so as you see fit..

    This ability replaces the alchemistís Poision use, swift poisoning and poison immunity.

    Xenoalchemist-only discoveries:

    Postop Procedure (Ex): The initial operation is only the beginning. A graft's effects are often based on the level of the xenoalchemist. Since a xenoalchemist might increase in level after the procedure has been performed, it's nice to have the graft increase in power along with the surgeon's skills. As a ten minute procedure you can touch up a graft so that the xenoalchemist level of the graft is adjusted to your current xenoalchemy level.

    Advanced Cryogenics (Ex): You have devised a special technique which preserves body parts indefinitely. Your monster parts no longer go bad after three days, and instead can be kept around as long as you please. You must be at least 12th level to take this discovery.

    Conjoined Grafts (Ex): You have mastered the art of fusing two disparate grafts together. You can now attach up to two grafts to the same body slot. You must be at least 16th level to take this discovery.


    Basically, it is as a normal alchemist only now you can make/place grafts at the cost of extract slots, and you lose the feat you get at first level, as well as Poison use, swift poisoning and poison immunity.

    Also, you now get Conjoined grafts, Advanced cryogenics, and Post-Stop Procedure as discoveries.

    Not sure on balance but I THINK it's okay.
    Hey, I'm glad you like it enough to make that! I'm afraid I have no pathfinder-fu, and have no idea if that would be balanced or not. But please let me know how it works out for you, since I know that a lot of people are playing PF now instead of 3.5!

    From my unknowledgeable position I think it might be a little much, unfortunately. Xenoalchemy is kind of awesome, and is probably worth way more than mere poison use and poison immunity. It's seriously character-defining, and opens tons of party synergies for other people in the group. I'd love to hear from someone that knows more about PF, though.

    Would have posted sooner, but for some reason your post didn't bump the thread for me. Weird.

    EDIT: Just saw the bit about the extract slots. That seems more reasonable, although it's got the problem where they'll run out of extracts to sacrifice. One of the nice things about the xenoalchemist is they can attach as many random grafts as they want as long as they have the material.

    Maybe permanently reduce their extract slots by like 2 or 3 per level, to a minimum of 0 (allowing for bonus extracts). Again though, I'd like to hear from someone that knows PF or who has played an alchemist.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-08-21 at 09:50 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doorhandle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Sounds fair. I shall rework it later.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mootoall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    I'm using the Xenoalchemist in a PbP, I'll tell you how it goes!
    Avatar by zimmerwald1915

    Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Current characters: None, looking for a game.


    Homebrew!


    Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sin City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    So I'm curious (and if I missed this forgive me), but if a character wanted to hire a Xenoalchemist (as in, an NPC) to add grafts to them, is there any established pricing system to go by? Or is it between 'hahahahano' and 'Ask-the-DM'?
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kellus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    So I'm curious (and if I missed this forgive me), but if a character wanted to hire a Xenoalchemist (as in, an NPC) to add grafts to them, is there any established pricing system to go by? Or is it between 'hahahahano' and 'Ask-the-DM'?
    hahahahano

    Quote Originally Posted by Mootoall
    I'm using the Xenoalchemist in a PbP, I'll tell you how it goes!
    I'm glad you like it enough to play it, and I'd be happy to hear anything you find with it!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-08-23 at 02:40 AM. Reason: I am dumb

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Coiled Legs
    Level: 3
    Body Slot: Legs
    Monster Requirement: Anything with both pounce and legs
    Example Monsters: Griffon, sphinx

    You gain the pounce ability. Whenever you charge a creature you can make a full attack against them. And you managed to do it without even using that cheesy Lion Totem alternate class feature!
    Emphasis mine. Does this mean I can cut the legs off a Lion Totem Barbarian to get their Pounce ability?
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.


    So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

    Spoiler
    Show


  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mootoall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Emphasis mine. Does this mean I can cut the legs off a Lion Totem Barbarian to get their Pounce ability?
    For the sake of awesomeness, I hope the answer is yes.
    Avatar by zimmerwald1915

    Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Current characters: None, looking for a game.


    Homebrew!


    Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    biggrin Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    ...

    I am in shock because of too much sheer awesomeness at once. I think I need to go lie down...

    Okay, seriously though, I am in LOVE. This is absolutely amazing.
    Congratulation, sir, for you have turned me into a creepy fanboy.

    Please may I use this in my own games?

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

    If its not too much trouble Kellus I have a request. For one of my character's personal villians I've thought up a wizard who lost his arm in a confrontation with the dragon. My thought is that in the attack that took his arm the wizard's chest was also damaged which leads into my question/request: If a person has multiple grafts from a single type of source (the heart from the dragon he was fighting and a replacement left arm from a dragon of the same type and an appropriate size) is there any sort of synergy?
    My thoughts are something such as a small bonus to Con from the dragon heart or Str from the arm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •