New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Netrunning in d20

Me and a friend are making a sci-fi system and one of the classes features enables the user to "enter the net". But how would this work mechanically.
    We want to make "Users" use programs to hack into computer systems dodging anti-virus software by using there own programs.

But we have no idea how to implement it. The games rules are heavily based off d20 modern & 3.5e.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Netrunning in d20

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Me and a friend are making a sci-fi system and one of the classes features enables the user to "enter the net". But how would this work mechanically.
    We want to make "Users" use programs to hack into computer systems dodging anti-virus software by using there own programs.

But we have no idea how to implement it. The games rules are heavily based off d20 modern & 3.5e.
    Shadowrun has a pretty good system for doing just that, though they're d6 based, so you could use 'em for inspiration of how to go about doing it. I vaguely remember one of the old Dungeon magazines having a Netrunner type minigame where everyone was a computer program and did what you're describing as well, though I have no idea which issue it was in.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you check out the Virtual Reality rules in the d20 Future Tech supplement for d20 Modern? That might be a good place to start.

4. - Top - End - #4

actually d20 already has thought up a system for this, it's explained in d20 cyberscape, it's simple and easy to learn and yes uses programs for attacking defending and all that, I think there's still a few copies in stores or you could get a pdf version

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

One problem I have heard with netrunning, even in Shadowrun, is it basically amounts to splitting the party and all the problems that entails. Also, because of the runners state, the other players pretty much have to babysit the characters body, so they can't merely go off on adventures of their own. If done on a regular basis, this can come off as hogging the spotlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost49X View Post
    actually d20 already has thought up a system for this, it's explained in d20 cyberscape, it's simple and easy to learn and yes uses programs for attacking defending and all that, I think there's still a few copies in stores or you could get a pdf version
    Ignore what I said, he has the right book name.