New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default [3.5] Advice for first session introductions as a DM

I'm planning on running a Norse flavored campaign with the Asgard pantheon and I'm having trouble coming up with a non cheesy way of having the PC's have intitial purpose. I figured I could have you, the playground, bounce around some ideas from your collective experience as to what has worked the best. I'm trying to stay away fromt he cliched tavern scene at first, if the PC's end up there on their own volition then more power to them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Advice for first session introductions as a DM

This can depend a lot on the composition of the party, ages, races, classes, level, motivations, known allies, etc. The more you can tell us on all of those fronts, the better.

The idea that immediately struck my mind though is a coming of age ceremony. This gives a little bit of culture, allows them a chance to bond over a common goal, and gives opportunity to add an antagonist or two who are also apart of it, but may not want to work together as a team.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

How about this, they meet in a tavern...

In the middle of a barfight!

The fight is their meeting point and their first battle all in one.

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

An interesting way that I introduced everyone was to have a good aligned character be accosted by a plot-hook giving NPC outside of town, telling him that the town was under attack by zombies. He then proceeded into the town, and went recruiting. He found the other players throughout the town, and they joined fr different reasons: One was hired by the town, one had lived there all his life and wanted to defend it, one was part of the town militia and was assigned to the task. Don't know if that would work for you, but it was a change of pace for my players.
    Awesome Lizardfolk Shaman Avatar by KillItWithFire

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Mine began with one character actively seeking out the other characters in a large town.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Reaver- Please PEACH

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fond of the In Media Res option personally. They are fleeing from locals after a raid gone bad, trying to get back to their ship. The obvious complication is something that makes that impossible (someone torched it).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I would love to give you guys more info on party composition and the like. But I do like the coming of age thing and the raid gone bad. I'm going to be starting these guys around level 3-5 and it's at the end of the big harvest. So I think that will work out great.

Also, Ragnorok is coming.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

"My name is Ahmed ibn Fadlan ibn Rashid, and things were not always thus..."

If you're going with a Norse basis, how about they're heading out on a sailing ship, out to raid the Southerners for the gold and slaves?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.