A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default 0 LA Dragon Race for Player Characters (PEACH)

Because dragons are awesome and the Draconomicon imposes ridiculous LA on them.

This race has abilities that scale. These abilities do not scale with dragon Racial HD, they scale with class levels. The weakened dragon advances by class levels. Weakened dragons often take levels of sorcerer or cleric, though the more martially-inclined ones often become paladins of Bahamut or Tiamat.

The Dragon

Regardless of a Dragon's Color/Metal, all dragons have the following characteristics:

Type: Dragon (Weakened)

The Weakened subtype applies to a creature who is forcibly increasing its power through experience rather than age. A creature with the weakened subtype must be 21st level before it can take Epic feats, regardless of its type. A weakened creature also ages normally, taking penalties to its physical ability scores regardless of its type.

Darkvision 60' and Lowlight vision

Size: The dragon's size grows as it gains class levels, rather than through aging.

Size at 1st Level: Small
    Size at 6th Level: Medium
    Size at 11th Level: Large
    Size at 16th Level: Huge
    Size at 21st Level: Gargantuan
    Size at 26th Level: Colossal
    Size at 31st Level: Colossal+

(The above sizes apply even to dragons who normally have a maximum size category of Gargantuan)

Racial Adjustments: +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity
    Every time the creature increases in Size, it receives half the ability score bonuses for increasing Size as described in the Monster Manual, but the full ability score penalties.

+2 Natural Armor

Speed:

Speed at Small: 20 ft land, no fly speed
    Speed at Medium: 30 ft land, no fly speed
    Speed at Large: 40 ft land, 80 ft fly with average maneuverability
    Speed at Huge: 60 ft land, 120 ft fly with average maneuverability
    Speed at Gargantuan: 80 ft land, 160 ft fly with poor maneuverability
    Speed at Colossal: 100 ft land, 200 ft fly with clumsy maneuverability

Natural Weapons:
    Though the dragons deal normal damage with their weapons, weakened dragons acquire their natural weapons later than normal dragons. A dragon with multiple natural attacks may choose its primary natural attack whenever it declares an attack roll, however, a dragon's wings are always treated as a secondary natural attack.

A dragon's claws are so unwieldy that the dragon is not able to hold a weapon or shield in them (regardless of proficiencies) until it reaches Medium size. A dragon cannot wear armor. The dragon also suffers a 10% arcane spell failure chance for spells with somatic components until it reaches Medium size, because its fingers are not full formed into claws yet.

Small: Bite 1d6
    Medium: Bite 1d8, Claws 1d6
    Large: Bite 2d6, Claws 1d8, Wings 1d6
    Huge: Bite 2d8, Claws 2d6, Wings 1d8, Tail Slap 2d6
    Gargantuan: Bite 4d6, Claws 2d8, Wings 2d6, Tail Slap 2d8, Crush 4d6
    Colossal: Bite 4d8, Claws 4d6, Wings 2d8, Tail Slap 4d6, Crush 4d8, Tail Sweep 2d8
    Colossal+: Bite 6d8, Claws 4d8, Wings 4d6, Tail Slap 4d8, Crush 6d8, Tail Sweep 4d6

Resistances and Immunities:
    Small: +2 bonus on saving throws versus magical sleep
    Medium: Immunity to magical sleep
    Large: Immunity to magical sleep, +2 bonus versus paralysis
    Huge: Immunity to sleep, +4 bonus versus paralysis
    Gargantuan: Immunity to sleep, immunity to paralysis

DR:
    A dragon receives Damage Reduction X/Magic, where X is 5*the number of size categories the creature is Larger than Medium. When a dragon reaches Gargantuan size, the DR changes to DR X/Epic.

Changes from True Dragons:
    Weakened Dragons do not receive sorcerer casting unless from actual class levels.
    Weakened Dragons do not receive spell resistance.
    Weakened Dragons do not receive blindsense.
    Weakened Dragons do not receive Frightful Presence.
    Weakened Dragons do not receive spell-like abilities.
    Weakened Dragons do not receive a swim speed or a burrow speed, regardless of their color.

Breath Weapon:
    A dragon chooses its element when it is created. Once chosen, this choice cannot be changed. The choices are acid, fire, cold, and electricity. The dragon also chooses whether it breathes in a cone or a line.

The dragon's breath weapon functions like a normal dragon's. It is a supernatural ability usable as a standard action at will, but the dragon must wait 1d4 rounds between uses of its weapon. This breath weapon allows the dragon to qualify for Metabreath feats. (See the Draconomicon) The breath weapon allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage. The DC for the saving throw is 10+1/2 the dragon's character level+the dragon's Constitution modifier. A dragon without a Constitution score cannot use its breath weapon.

Small: 1d8, 15 ft cone, 30 ft line
    Medium: 3d8, 20 ft cone, 40 ft line
    Large: 5d8, 30 ft cone, 60 ft line
    Huge: 7d8, 40 ft cone, 80 ft line
    Gargantuan: 10d8, 60 ft cone, 120 ft line
    Colossal: 15d8

Elemental Resistance and Weakness:
    A dragon receives a bonus against the element of its breath weapon, and weakness against the opposing element. (Fire and cold are opposed, as are acid and electricity)
    Small: Resist 5, +1 damage per die opposing
    Medium: Resist 10, +1 damage die of opposing
    Large: Resist 20, damage die of opposing increase by one step to a maximum of d12
    Huge: Immunity, Gains the Fire/Cold/Air/Earth subtype, +50% extra damage from the opposing element

Favored Class: Sorcerer

LA (The LA only applies when the character is created. In other words, if you play the race from a smaller size, you "earn" the increased Size later, but starting more powerful requires more LA):

Small: +0
    Medium: +1
    Large: +5
    Huge: +7
    Gargantuan: +10
    Colossal: +15

Starting Package
    Coal, the Red Dragon
    Small Dragon (Weakened)
    Alignment: CE
    1st level Barbarian
    Speed: 30 ft
    HP: 12+3 (15 HP)
    AC: 13, 11 when Raging (10+1 Size +2 Natural)
    BAB/Grapple: +1/+0
    Attack: Bite +5 (1d6+4) or Rage Bite +7 (1d6+7)
    Special Attacks: Rage 1/day, Breath Weapon Cone of Fire 1d8 (Ref 1/2 DC 12)
    Special Qualities: Illiterate, Fast Movement +10', Resist Fire 5, Minor Weakness to Cold, +2 saves vs magical sleep
    Possessions: 1 days rations, small sack, 30 gp
    Feats: Improved Toughness
    Str 17, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10
    Skills: Intimidate +4, Survival +5, Listen +5
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +1 (+3 when raging)
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-15 at 03:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 0 LA Dragon Race for Player Characters (PEACH)

Finished. Suggestions?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I really like this idea, and I think you implemented it well. That being said, while it does look slightly overpowered for a +0 LA, I don't think it matters much. The bonuses gained throughout the type sort of make it overpowered in any case, since levels will always be a part of the growing process which will make it more powerful than other races taking levels at the same speed. Still, you're letting your players play dragons, which otherwise are terribly difficult to do, so it doesn't seem that problematic.

If anything, forcing a growing level adjustment as they increase in size might balance it, but that just seems mean.

I like it as is.

4. - Top - End - #4

Added that dragons cannot wield a weapon or shield until they reach Medium size and removed their ability to wear armor. That should make the Natural Armor bonus less game-breaking for a PC race. Also added a 10% ASF until 6th level, to weaken the bonuses for sorcerers/wizards/bards at early levels.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-10 at 01:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DR:
    A dragon receives Damage Reduction X/Magic, where X is 5*the number of size categories the creature is Larger than Small. When a dragon reaches Gargantuan size, the DR changes to DR X/Epic.
    This is probably worth +1 LA all on its own.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    This is probably worth +1 LA all on its own.
    Well it's DR X/Magic, it's easily penetrated. But..fair enough. Do you think I should just take it away?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think it's that big of a deal. It gets pretty big, but the 5/Magic part kind of makes it weak. I mean, a Monk becomes able to pierce damage reduction at 4th level, so by 6th it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If anything, I would say change it to:

DR: A dragon receives Damage Reduction X/Magic, where X is 5*the number of size categories the creature is Larger than Medium. When a dragon reaches Gargantuan size, the DR changes to DR X/Epic.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

8. - Top - End - #8

Hmm...so it wouldn't get DR until CR 11? Alright, yeah, that would make sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Again, if you do push it back, I feel like it will be exceedingly useless by that point. At 11th level, how many formidable creatures don't have magic weapons? If you take that route, I would say make the DR more useful, such as /admantine, or maybe even /-. Then it's at least useful.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    Again, if you do push it back, I feel like it will be exceedingly useless by that point. At 11th level, how many formidable creatures don't have magic weapons? If you take that route, I would say make the DR more useful, such as /admantine, or maybe even /-. Then it's at least useful.
    Even though you say that, I'm making this race less powerful than true dragons, and true dragons get DR X/Magic. Balance is less important to me than staying true to what WotC has put out.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

tbh, I find the idea of races that scale to be a little odd in the whole 3e paradigm. Yes, I am aware that there are some races that do that. There are by far in the minority.

If you want races scaling by level, I think the best solution is to either have racial feats (the D&D Saga Edition homebrew takes this route), or make them using the bloodlines rules. Perhaps a "race" for the 1st level features, plus a required "bloodline" for the scaling features, is the way to go?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not personally familiar with how, but I have seen many times that bloodlines are so broken they make Krypton look okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    I'm not personally familiar with how, but I have seen many times that bloodlines are so broken they make Krypton look okay.
    Just about anything that isn't a fighter, monk, or barbarian can be broken with ease. The question isn't that it can be broken by an optimiser, but when not especially trying to optimise, does it break, and does it become a no-brainer must-have choice if included in the game.

fwiw, I'd be interested in seeking a broken bloodline that isn't broken because of the usual standard cheese that would also break a non-bloodline character.
    Last edited by Ashtagon; 2011-07-11 at 09:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I don't see a reason to prevent them from using armor, as when they grow in size, their armor will be too small for them and they'd have to replace it, anyways. Either way they go about it should curb heavy investment in traditional armor, especially since they'll have to deal with the double whammy of different sizes and non-humanoid shapes, plus they'll have to keep it light if they expect to fly without proper feats to otherwise allow heavier armor.

As for DR, Core True Dragons gain it at Young Adult, which is around Large size, so the current version works fairly well for that.

Also, I approve of this, it makes bringing back Council of Wyrms a feasible idea.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

IIRC, Savage Species should have rules about armour for unusually shaped creatures. Or there's barding. Again, IIRC, magic barding resizes itself to fit.
    Last edited by Aergoth; 2011-07-11 at 09:11 AM.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    IIRC, Savage Species should have rules about armour for unusually shaped creatures. Or there's barding. Again, IIRC, magic barding resizes itself to fit.
    Armor and Weapons in 3.5 don't magically resize, unlike every other magic item. The small greatsword that halfling blackguard you killed is going to be a strangely weighted medium longsword to you regardless of what you want.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Size And Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with racial specific items.
    SRD, magic item basics.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

18. - Top - End - #18

SRD, magic item basics.
    The sizing weapon enchantment makes me think that weapons do not automatically size to fit the wielder. (As well as the text from enlarge person, expansion, and the Goliath barbarian ability Mountain Rage)

tbh, I find the idea of races that scale to be a little odd in the whole 3e paradigm. Yes, I am aware that there are some races that do that. There are by far in the minority.
    Yes, but dragons are one of them. Dragons definitely scale as they advance in age categories. And even if they are in the minority, I rather like races that scale. To me, it makes sense that as a character grows, it should become more powerful. I find races that scale to be interesting and fun to play.

Personally, I don't see the need to prevent them from using armor
    A. The restriction, in my opinion, will help keep it LA +0
    B. It opens up the opportunity for dragon monks.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-11 at 11:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

SRD, magic item basics.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Armor and Weapon Sizes
    Armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being Small (01-30), a 60% chance of being Medium (31-90), and a 10% chance of being any other size (91-100).
    Just below where you quoted is this tidbit. Armor and Weapons are the exception to that rule. Why would they bother to have it if they resized like everything else?

A. The restriction, in my opinion, will help keep it LA +0
    B. It opens up the opportunity for dragon monks.
    Why couldn't you play a dragon monk, otherwise? Even if they were proficient, that doesn't mean they have to use it. Hidecarved Dragons are badass, to boot, so I don't think the incentive is really extra needed. Plus, since they're non-humanoid anyways, they're paying extra, which is restriction enough in my book, not to mention size.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-07-11 at 03:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #20

Well, then a first level dragon would have:

A bite attack that does as much damage as a wolf's bite, even though the dragon is Small.

A +1 Size bonus to attacks and AC, and +4 to Hide checks

A breath weapon that deals 1d8 points of damage, usable at will with no attack roll necessary.

+2 to Strength, even though it's a Small creature. (effective +2 to melee attack rolls)

+2 Natural Armor

Energy Resistance 5

Taking away their ability to wear armor, as well as wield weapons and casting spells effectively, should at least help balance it in the low level games.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I simply cannot agree with this being LA 0. I could maybe see it, if it was stacic, but not advancing like that. Let's just say I start a game at level 12. I'm getting, for free, +14 strength and +8 con. That ALONe would be enough, but then there are all those other goodies in there. Large size means you get some nifty bonuses and some nice reach. A rather enviable fly speed. Five Natural weapons, all significantly more powerful than average. And again, you invest NOTHING for all of this. I'd take this over pretty much any other race I can think of.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Out of curiousity, why did you not just ignore Draconomicon's LAs (which like most official published LAs are designed with the idea of keeping the demographics of PCs somewhat representative of world-population demographics) and make your own, lower, LAs?

Or treat them as required commoner levels (a common solution) or something?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Out of curiousity, why did you not just ignore Draconomicon's LAs (which like most official published LAs are designed with the idea of keeping the demographics of PCs somewhat representative of world-population demographics) and make your own, lower, LAs?

Or treat them as required commoner levels (a common solution) or something?
    Why would I treat them as "commoner levels"?

And anyway, I didn't make this for a specific campaign so I could play a dragon or something. It's homebrew. I made it so people could play it.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I simply cannot agree with this being LA 0. I could maybe see it, if it was stacic, but not advancing like that. Let's just say I start a game at level 12. I'm getting, for free, +14 strength and +8 con. That ALONe would be enough, but then there are all those other goodies in there. Large size means you get some nifty bonuses and some nice reach. A rather enviable fly speed. Five Natural weapons, all significantly more powerful than average. And again, you invest NOTHING for all of this. I'd take this over pretty much any other race I can think of.
    Fair point. I'll add a note that starting at higher Size categories grants an LA

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Why would I treat them as "commoner levels"?
    Because Commoner X (plus whatever PC classes and/or RHD apply) is better than LA +X.

Which brings me to wonder if the progression listed here is comprised of free benefits of leveling up in whatever class you are in, or you have to take dragon RHD as levels to get them. In the second case, no LA may EVER be necessary, depending on what your balance point is.
    And anyway, I didn't make this for a specific campaign so I could play a dragon or something. It's homebrew. I made it so people could play it.
    I understood that.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #26

Because Commoner X (plus whatever PC classes and/or RHD apply) is better than LA +X.

Which brings me to wonder if the progression listed here is comprised of free benefits of leveling up in whatever class you are in, or you have to take dragon RHD as levels to get them. In the second case, no LA may EVER be necessary, depending on what your balance point is.
    Ah, no. It's supposed to be playable from Level 1, the benefits scale with your class level, they're not dragon HD. It's like the Dragonborn template or the Raptoran race.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, no. It's supposed to be playable from Level 1, the benefits scale with your class level, they're not dragon HD. It's like the Dragonborn template or the Raptoran race.
    Might want to clarify that in the original post.
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28

Might want to clarify that in the original post.
    Alright, edited.

29. - Top - End - #29

Changed the format to make it (hopefully) easier to read, and also nerfed the race more by halving the increased bonuses to Str and Con from Size increases, while keeping the full Dex loss.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Eh... I would like to see you drop the initial dexterity penalty in that case.
    Extended Signature