New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [Base Class] Aesthetic Sage

Resolving Aesthetic Strike as a touch attack and then making it deal half damage on a miss both makes no sense fluff-wise and is overpowered mechanically speaking.

The only things that apply to Touch AC are size modifiers, Dexterity (Which the creature would be denied due to being flat-footed the first round of combat, unless you target something that beat your initiative), dodge bonuses, which also don't apply if a creature is flat-footed, and deflection modifiers.

Basically, if you miss a touch attack, it's not because the creature's armor softened the blow, your weapon didn't pierce its hide, or because you struck its shield. If you miss a touch attack, the creature in question simply got out of the way. It avoided you completely. And that should always mean your attack has absolutely no effect. If I swing my sword at someone real fast and I miss, it's not like I create a shockwave that hits it and deals lethal damage anyway. I mean, how does your Aesthetic Strike even do that?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Clarified Aesthetic Strike to be Sonic in nature. Closest I can get.

Changed Superior Channel Spell and Perfect form, as well as pumping Perfect form up a bit.

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Added a variant. The Spiritual Sage. Just a wall of text, but oh well.

Essentially, replace Arcane casting with Divine casting, Domain + granted power (special in some cases, as they don't have turn undead), and full bab.
    Pretty much just like a Cleric without Turning, armor, or 5-epic spells. (Clerics CAN learn epic spells can't they?)
    I justify the Domains and full bab as follows: Divine casting just isn't as versatile and alot of fun things are missing, such as fireballs and walls of fire...
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-19 at 10:42 AM.

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

*Nom* Aesthetic strike. It reminds me of the Weapon Master from Fire Emblem <3