New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help Me Find a Particular Silent Hill Themed RPG

Hi there,

A while ago I happened across a fan-made Silent Hill RPG on the internet. Since then, I've been unable to find it again, and I'd really like to.

There have been several Silent Hill RPG variants with different systems. However, the one I'm after had a unique mechanic; the game story depends on the PCs backstory and psyche. Every PC has a Dark Past or Secret with which a number of symbolic or real locations are linked; these are the locations visited by the PCs in the game. The game effectively becomes a journey into the PCs own minds and histories.

For example, James Sunderland, the "hero" of SH2, is revealed later in the game to have

Spoiler
    Show
    killed his dying wife.
    So the locations he visits represent his life before this event (the town and the hotel), the time when it all went wrong (the hospital) and his fears as a result (the prison).

Has anyone heard of this game; and if so can they send me a link?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Help Me Find a Particular Silent Hill Themed RPG

Well, SH always has that whole "going insane" angle to it. I'd say a refluffed Call of Cthullu game will do the trick just fine. Though, make sure your players have very developed and flawed characters. As you mentioned, Silent Hill is about characters with horrible pasts and often, if not always, they end up confronting them in some way at some point in the game.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

3. - Top - End - #3

The only one I know of is this d20 CoC variant, which can be found on this page. Not sure if it's the one you're looking for, though.
    Last edited by some guy; 2011-07-17 at 07:11 AM.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

4. - Top - End - #4

Not the game I was looking for, but useful nonetheless. Anyone know of any other adaptation?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps Kult is what you're looking for? Its certainly has gore without being splatterpunk, horrific imagery, and (most importantly for a SH game) characters with troubled backgrounds.
    Coming Soon....

Orbis Terrarum RPG: Gritty heroism in a customisable world of secrets, daemons, and strange ecologies...The historical roleplaying game of a make-believe world. Meet us on Facebook, Google Plus, and coming soon to kickstarter!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think DnD would work fine. You simply need a good DM that understands SH and good players with good backstories. What you described isn't really a mechanic. Just a storytelling technique.
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-07-17 at 01:48 PM.
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thanks for the advice, but I'm looking for the specific game principally as a source of inspiration. I intend to run it using the Call of Cthulhu rules; Kult would also be ideal but sadly I don't own a copy of the rules.

Anyone know of this game?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds a bit like the plot of a SH RPG someone on RPG.net's forums ran. I don't remember what game-system they used, though.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm I wonder how paranoia would work? Instead of "clone" it'd be themselves in a dream/mind whatever sequence. So when they run out of "clones" they'd go insane.
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh damn, I remember reading a really amazing pdf/website for a Silent Hill rpg and it sounds like the one you're describing...
    I might have found it via a link on TVTropes, looking up either the Silent Hill franchise itself or one of the related tropes. ****, I wish I could remember where it was.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I've heard of this exact thing, but I can't figure out where I heard it or what it's called. I know what you're talking about at least.
    Excellent Ponsoon avatar by Akrim.elf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Everybody outsmarts Nale. Including Nale.
    I will be unable to post for an undetermined amount of time due to medical problems and family problems. Just a notice.

12. - Top - End - #12

Zombie

I have a copy of an excellent fan-made World of Darkness Silent Hill RPG but I don't know where I downloaded it from. The credits page is really sparse and doesn't list a source. Is that what you're thinking of?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You had any luck, Kami?